Chapter 6: Stuff From Shizun
254 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shen Jing was playing jigsaw puzzles in his mind.

Even Assistant 51C had grown lax with her attention towards whatever was happening in this banquet. She was watching what was happening with Xuan Shi, which she said was like watching a livestream: <He’s hunting right now.>

“Did he catch anything?”

<Nope. The white deer has secretly been chasing away all of the animals.>

“......” That’s tragic.

He Jiangshan was fidgeting in his seat. Fang Xiaoxiao looked so bored she faltered between slumping and keeping the peak’s name somewhat intact. It was hard for Shen Jing to see how Xuan Lang was doing, but it didn’t seem like he was trying too hard, either; there was a more relaxed slope to his back that seemed to indicate that he was relaxed, contrasting Bai Nian’s tense posture. The elders chattered among each other. The guzheng player off to the side continued her playing, barely taking breaks. Ji Qiaofeng nodded along, occasionally commenting on the elder’s conversation, occasionally turning to Bai Nian— but overall, the atmosphere was… Shen Jing just didn’t see the point.

It was Ji Hualiu who came to their peak’s rescue. Rising to her feet without raising too much attention, she then knelt beside her father, who indulgently leaned back to hear her quiet request. It must’ve still been audible for those nearby, though, given their cultivation— but nobody did as much as raise an eyebrow, only making imperceptible nods in agreement. Assistant 51C whistled a bit as she eavesdropped, making the occasional comment about Ji Hualiu’s nice word construction.

<She’d be good in law or something. That’s a very nice appeal.>

Shen Jing, “......” Aight then.

“You’re right,” Ji Qiaofeng said, nodding. “Bai Nian, do rest well. We shall continue our chats later.”

He got a stiff nod at that.

Bai Nian’s relief at being allowed to leave was almost visible from the way he hurried back to his peak. It might’ve been just how he was, though— not a single second wasted. After exchanging glances, Xuan Lang had to lead the rest of his fellow disciples back, making sure to pay respects to the elders and Ji Qiaofeng properly. He Jiangshan “hehehe”-d as they descended the stairs of Holy Tree Peak. “Shizun’s moving as fa—”

“He Jiangshan,” Ji Hualiu warned. “Your mouth.”

“Sooorry, Second Shijie.”

The five of them split up once they got back home, with Xuan Lang heading off to talk to Bai Nian and Ji Hualiu off to talk with the groundskeeper. Shen Jing stuck around with He Jiangshan and Fang Xiaoxiao— or more accurately, he wasn’t allowed to leave. When Xuan Lang found them, it was to He Jiangshan shoving Shen Jing’s hand into a box he’d rigged up with a beast core, the latter looking a mix of mildly horrified and terrified.

“What are you…?” Xuan Lang asked, voice flat.

“Trying to figure out Xiao-shidi’s elemental alignment!” He Jiangshan answered cheerfully. “Xiaoxiao’s fire. Da-shixiong, you already know yours, right? Can you help me check if this thing works properly?”

Xuan Lang shook his head. “Shizun wants to talk with Xiao-shidi.”

He Jiangshan and Fang Xiaoxiao exchanged a look before letting Shen Jing go, and after a nudge Shen Jing trailed after Xuan Lang, head lowered. It wasn’t that the box was horrifying or anything, but did it need that weird undetermined goo inside to work…? Shen Jing looked at his hand. It didn’t leave anything bar a somewhat purplish tinge on his fingers, and though they rubbed away like faded ink, it just transferred it onto his other hand. Shen Jing decided to leave it alone.

“What’s that thing made of, anyway, Wu-jie?”

<It is a mystery~>

Shen Jing, “......” I thought you were supposed to be reassuring…

Ah, no good thinking about that. Hurrying to keep up with Xuan Lang’s pace, Shen Jing turned to other thoughts like why he was being called, and swiftly changed the direction of his thoughts before he worked himself into a panic attack.

Bai Nian’s residence was somewhat out of the way, being placed in the middle of a grove of white trees with silver, pin-like leaves— the origin of the peak’s name. It looked somewhat unassuming, but the tranquility of the atmosphere made Shen Jing nervous, as though by walking in he would break the peace. Xuan Lang walked up to it with no hesitation, though, and knocked on the door before nodding at Shen Jing. Eyebrows furrowed, Shen Jing took slow steps forward and entered.

The interior of the Peak Lord’s residence was also simple. Bar a table with some chairs, there was little inside here; an ink painting hung on the wall, depicting a woman standing by a stream, and the rest of the room was partitioned off by standard screens seen in the peak. From behind one of them Shen Jing heard, “Come over here.”

Shen Jing gingerly made his way over.

It seemed like this section got turned into a study of sorts, despite not looking made for it; too little space, for one, as the one bookshelf there was squeezing it real hard. Bai Nian was sitting by the table, flipping through a book in front of him, and looked up only when Shen Jing got properly, awkwardly settled.

"I've heard from Xiao Lang. Keep up the work."

"Y-yes, Shizun!”

Shen Jing had no idea what was happening here, but he wasn’t about to interrupt to ask the question. 

"I called you here to give you a different manual," Bai Nian said, not even attempting to transition. He closed the book he’d been flipping through and pushed it across the small table, nodding at Shen Jing to pick it up. "You have a nature better suited for another specialization entirely, but I took you away from Holy Tree. I apologize for that."

Shen Jing: …?

Silver Forest Peak was, to a degree, a peak that specialized in offensive martial arts. It wasn’t to a point where they were renowned for it, but Ji Qiaofeng wouldn’t have offered the Peak Lord position of a peak that wasn’t aligned to Bai Nian’s skills and talent. Silver Forest Peak’s martial arts was the graceful sort, and Big Cat described it as ‘light, steady and unpredictable as mist, pure and transient like first snow.” Shen Jing had no idea how to turn that description into an imaginable fighting style, at least until now.

Holy Tree Peak, meanwhile, was more general; its proximity to the spiritual river did lead the sect to turn a large portion of its grounds into spiritual herbs gardens. As such, a good portion of its members ended up in that general field. Blue Soul Peak had produced a number of weapons and magical treasures experts, so they taught that to promising disciples. Likewise with Red Autumn Peak, though for that peak it was talismans, spells and music. Hundred Fields Peak was started by a person who was deeply touched by the plight of the common folk, so its teachings were an eclectic mix of intensive bestiary focus, creative problem-solving and apparently, commerce. Shen Jing frankly felt like Big Cat was running out of ideas at that point. Black Earth Peak focused on arrays and formations, but because its Peak Lord was, for lack of better word, an encyclopedic nerd, it was the one that ran the libraries and Hall of Scrolls too.

That Bai Nian said Shen Jing should’ve been in Holy Tree Peak, well… he wasn’t wrong. Based on natural inclinations, he ought to be. I’m sorry Shizun, I’m literally bending the rules of this universe… or society...

"You have innate talent in healing," Bai Nian continued. "The kind… that requires exemplary control. I can't teach you too much, but I have books. If you're ever confused, come to me."

Shen Jing: ???

This was a development Shen Jing wasn’t expecting. When did Bai Nian have books on healing arts? Still, Shen Jing kept his head low and his nod small. "Okay, Shizun."

"I will only give you the basic ones for now. Do not rush."

“Okay… Will do.”

Bai Nian gave him another assessing look, and Shen Jing could feel cold sweat running down his back. He didn’t know what it was for this time. He was already accepted, right…? The world setting shouldn’t have him get kicked out by his own shizun right after he was getting guidance?

“Hm. Xuan Lang was right.”

Shen Jing inhaled. “Eh?”

But Bai Nian only shook his head. “Nothing. You have me. Go.”

Not the least bit less confused, Shen Jing left, clutching the books close to his chest. There were three of it, but Shen Jing hadn’t checked it any more than that; they each were a different color, but different in the sense that they were different shades of green. Outside the world seemed empty and welcoming, but then Shen Jing spotted Xuan Lang standing and looking at one of the white trees. He turned when Shen Jing stopped in his tracks.

"What did Shizun say?" Xuan Lang asked. Leaning back a bit, Shen Jing held the books out.

"Uh, he wants me to read these…"

Xuan Lang didn’t take them; he just flipped through the covers and stared at the titles. "...Recipes for New Years Feast?"

Shen Jing: …?

"The Legend of Chang'e. All You Need to Know About Burying Bodies."

Paling, Shen Jing snatched the books and flipped through it. It— wasn't recipes. Or how to bury bodies. He let out a relieved sigh, feeling the panic and embarrassment escape his body by becoming steam. Face red, he showed the insides to Xuan Lang, in particular one with a diagram on how to control his qi.

"Oh." This time, he did take it from Shen Jing’s hand and flipped through the contents. After reading it more thoroughly, his expression deepened. He looked up. “Shizun wants you to focus on qi synergy and control?”

“I think he understood that I won’t make a good… swordsman,” Shen Jing said, scratching his cheek. “And, erm…”

Every cultivator had their own talents, but a peak tended to have people learning a general style. Still, exceptions existed. In a novel like this, it was natural that the disciples under Bai Nian had different niches— they needed to be distinct, and different specializations tended to result in more interesting team dynamics. In a way, it made sense that Shen Jing was categorized into that of a healer; he already was training to be a nurse anyway, and it was an empty spot in this team set-up. All in all, Shen Jing thought it was especially kind of the world-generating algorithm. It might keep him off battles, too, though he didn’t really want to think about that quite yet.

Xuan Lang seemed to search his face for something before nodding, clasping his shoulder. “Study hard. You will do well.”

“Th-thank you, Da-shixiong.”

And like that they made their way back, where Shen Jing parted ways when he scurried off back to his room, ready to unwind. He didn’t get into bed, though— that would be a bad place to be caught in during broad daylight. He settled down by the window, carefully putting away the thicker two of the books and checking the thinnest one first. The pages seemed to be… old. In a world where such things might not show, thanks to magic and whatnot, that was notable— it meant there must be a reason why this was like this. Or perhaps Bai Nian preserved it? But why would he preserve medical books? These seemed to be from the same author; though none of them were named, the handwriting for both the main body text and notes looked the same.

Wu-jie, is there anything from Shizun’s background that could explain how he has these manuals…?” Shen Jing studied the first few pages, noting the additional notes in tiny script beside paragraphs and diagrams. “How much of his backstory had been revealed, again?”

<Not much. But it seemed he had an old friend who was a doctor of some sorts. Shady one? It was just a passing mention, though, and could’ve been construed in a number of ways.>

Huh.

The world-generating algorithm must’ve started its extrapolations… But where was this supposed to lead?

19