Regret
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elaine sat at her black wooden desk, in her office, which was painted completely black, even the ceiling. A single office lamp illuminated the room. She had her head lowered, staring at one of her spell books mindlessly. A knock on the door, and a twist of a doorknob, and Kalan walked inside.

“My lady, you’ve been mighty quiet these past few days, is there something you need to talk about?” Kalan asked.

“He thinks I’m evil now.” She didn’t look up from her book.

“Who?” he questioned further.

“Hex, he thinks I’m evil, how was I supposed to know that she was his girlfriend? I’m not psychic!” She shoved the book off the desk and it fell to the floor.

“You did tell me you had captured his friend, and I took good care of her, but why would that make you evil?” he asked again.

“Because I faked her death. I didn’t think he’d try to kill himself either, I fucked up royally and there’s nothing I can do to repair the damage I’ve done.” She balled her hands into fists She felt an extreme amount of regret, she inadvertently harmed him, even almost killed him, even though she had feelings for him.

“You did apologize for it, right?” he said.

“Of course I did, I wouldn’t even be humanoid if I didn’t. I was testing him, not trying to kill him.” She shook her head wildly.

“A man who cannot survive without even one person is weak, right?” he said.

“That’s not what I was trying to do, I was testing his deduction skills, it would have been easy to know that it wasn’t her after a simple DNA test of the ash. There would have been bones if it was her. I didn’t think he’d think she was actually gone.” She miscalculated, proving that she wasn’t as smart as she thought she was.

“So he’s dumb, then,” he said.

“He’s not dumb, maybe he thought since it was magic it would have reduced her bones to ash too, but I didn’t think that far ahead.” She thought she was the dumb one, not Hex.

“You can’t really know how people will react until it happens,” he said.

“Like I said, I didn’t think that far ahead, I should have realized it was a bad idea, but going back in time to change things is dangerous. Besides, I’m not powerful enough to even cast that spell yet. I have to live with him hating me and thinking I’m evil,” she said.

“Does he think all demons are inherently evil?” he said.

“Not all demons are evil, and I can attest to that! I’m not evil, I’m just fighting against the system that let me slip through the cracks! He’s slipped through the cracks too! I know so! I read his records! His parents sent him to the loony bin when he was barely in puberty! So I have to fight twice as hard since he isn’t on my side! Not because he’s against me, but because I have to fight on his behalf too!” She stood up and started pacing. She knew she couldn’t have him now. On top of him hating her, he had a girlfriend, someone else had stolen his heart away before she could get to him.

“Maybe I can ask her to convince him to give you another chance, since we did play nicely together,” he said.

“If you would, that would be great,” she said as she sat back down.

“I could also get Zlyena to ask, if there are more people against hating you then there are for, maybe he’ll change his mind,” he said.

“I don’t want to harass him like that, if he really hates me now, that’s my fault, and I will have to live with it,” she said.

“You still would let me ask his girlfriend though, right?” he asked.

“Just her is fine, and tell her she doesn’t have to tell Hex anything,” she said.

“Alright. But what about you, my lady? Are you going to be okay?” he said.

“Not really, but that’s my fault,” she said.

“By the way, my lady, someone is here to see you,” he said.

“Oh? Who is it? One of my subordinates?” she asked.

“It’s the boy you let live, the Demon Hunter boy.” He pointed to the doorway.

The boy’s head was poking out from behind the half closed door, his hand on the black wood next to the doorknob.

“Come in.” She gestured the boy towards her.

“I… I saw the website, and stopped a hearse, that’s how I got here.” The boy walked in, not wearing the classic Demon Hunter coat.

“I see, so you want to switch sides, yes? You hate this broken system as much as I do, and want to change things for the better? You must be tired of keeping the status quo,” she said as she grinned.

“You spared me, you taught me that not all magical creatures are out for blood,” he said.

“I’m not one for senseless violence, it needs to have a purpose, if it’s to liberate this hellhole, I will spare no expense,” she chuffed proudly.

“I want to help, I want to pay back your kindness,” he said.

“Wonderful, Kalan, get him a nice suit like the others. You, boy, are free to come to my office anytime.” She pointed to Kalan and then to the boy.

“It’s Adam, my name is Adam.” He blushed.

“Adam it is then, welcome to Macabre Hearse Adam. You may enjoy the free food at the cafeteria, also your standard issue gun will be ordered today.” She curtsied at him.

0