Arrival on the Other Side
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hex looked to Din, and found a face he barely recognized. Her eyes were just two black holes, her skin ghost white and cracked, and she was covered by black papers with white sigils painted on them. He barely even noticed all the bystanders in the pews screaming and running out of the church.

“Who... Who are you?” he asked.

“It's Din, it's still me, don't you still love me?” she asked, her smile showing sharp teeth.

He gripped his head, his brain still hurt, but he didn't find any love for her, neither in his brain nor his heart.

“I don't think so, not anymore.” He shook his head.

“Then I will end you.” Her smile turned into a grimace and she reached for his neck.

“Kalan, come!” He heard Elaine weakly shout.

An extremely long and large sword came into his vision, keeping Din from him. He looked to the holder of the sword, it was Kalan himself. He had never seen Kalan look so angry, there was rage in his eyes, his nose crinkled in discontent, his brow completely furrowed, and a very rare sight of a frown was added to his countenance.

“Are you okay there Kalan?” he asked.

“You worry about me and not for the dying girl next to you?” Kalan used his eyes to gesture towards Elaine.

He looked down to where Kalan gestured, and gasped. A very emaciated Elaine was kneeling down on all fours. Her hair was completely white, and he could see her bones through her skin.

“Elaine?!” He finally remembered everything she had told him, he knew what he had to do, and quickly. If she let him free, saving her life was the least he could do. He was back, with all the previous memories that he had of the love spell debacle. He remembered the feelings he had, and knew they were genuine, he knew why she didn't want to reciprocate, but that didn't matter anymore, he knew everything, there was no going back.

He pushed her back onto her backside by her shoulders. It was real bad, her eyes were completely white, he didn't know why her face wasn't completely sunken in either, but that was the least of his worries. He tutted, and took her funeral bonnet off. It fell to the floor, making a light muted tap when it collided with the ground.

He sighed, then closed his eyes and breathed in. He kissed her. Her lips were very cold, chapped and faded, but that was expected. He heard the sound of glass breaking, and he pulled back to open his eyes. There was a swirling vortex of glass-like things that looked like rectangular strips of cloth that circled back in their width, those strips of glass had red letters cut into them. He saw another one crack and break, falling to the ground and disappearing.

“You, you did it. I... I'm so sorry, if I had known what she really was, I would have protected you. She fooled all of us.” Elaine's eyes pooled with tears that streamed down her face.

“Shh.” Hex put an index finger to her lips.

“Don't speak. You need rest. I'll call Dr. Gage. You need help from him as soon as possible.” he said.

“I already called him before we even got in,” Pain piped up.

“Pain and I will take care of the golem. Hex, you must take Elaine outside and wait for the doctor.” Kalan raised his blade, and brandished it towards Din.

“You may have thwarted me, but my master will end all of you, I swear it!” Din shouted.

“Silence, impostor.” Pain summoned his scythe, its snath covered in lidless red eyes. Hex could see both anger and agony in Pain's expression.

He looked away and lifted Elaine into his arms, she was extremely light, which was another bad sign. He made sure to run out as fast as he could, not looking back at the visage of the golem he once loved enough to almost marry. His shirt and his arm were wet with Elaine's tears as she weakly placed her hand onto his collarbone.

0