Volume 1: Chapter 17 – Evaluation
429 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[][][17][][]

A pair of two black birds spread their wings and flew downwards, piercing the cloud layers, generating wisps of wind and cloud vapor as they rapidly descended towards the earth. Then they pulled up, spread their wings further, stabilizing their flight path and flitted above the earth, their destination a certain city where they’re to conduct a spying mission for the divine being that send them there.

Across the blooming fields, passing through lush, dense forests, clear flowing rivers, and the path where the Bifrost Bridge shimmered into existence whenever the Gods traveled to Midgard, the realm of mortals, a city called Asgard, where the Yggdrasil Tree is at its highest, a sprawling kingdom unto itself populated by the gods, protected by the Himingjork, an imposing pillar that guards the entrance to the city, and the place where Heimdall keeps his eternal vigilance.

Standing atop one of the battlements where two people, their gaze locked towards the grassy fields that lead to the bridge connecting Asgard to the rest of the Norse realm. The clouds scudded and the cool breeze blew, the pinnants, banners, and flags fluttering. Within this peaceful atmosphere a serious discussion was taking place, one that talked about a certain person of interest.

I see. I see. This man named John is an interesting Harem candidate. And this girl Angelica, I can sense unfathomable talent within her when it comes to guns and ranged weaponry…and more besides. Tell me Valkyrie Randgris, what do you think of their talent?

A wiry old man with a smooth shaven beard that went down his waist, long frazzled gray hair, golden eyes, slightly wrinkled skin, wearing an eye-patch on his right eye, clad in a faded brown flowing cloak that covered his entire body, standing at around six feet tall and holding a worn out spear with a golden tip inscribed with runic characters asked his companion beside him, a beautiful woman with medium length blonde hair, pale blue eyes, a beauty mark below her left eye, and of similar height wearing a set of full armor with purple edges that covered everything except her legs and arms exposing a lithe figure, a pair of sandals on her feet, a winged helmet that covered her head except for her face, a sword strapped on her waist and a round shield on her back, and a white cloak that skimmed and fluttered above the surface.

‘Well Lord Odin, why ask a Valkyrie like me such a question? Your wisdom and experience when it comes to war is unmatched, save for the Gods of War and Destruction who are part of the other pantheons.’ Odin hummed, mulling over her words.

True it may be, I still want to hear the opinion of one of my, what do they call it, Harem members. I admit it sounds special, as if I’m taking several lovers…not that I’ll cheat on my wife mind you. Anyway, what do you think Randgris? She did not answer him immediately, thinking of a proper reply to his question.

‘If you insist Lord Odin, then so be it. Although may I add that you could’ve used Huginn and Muninn to gather information on this man called John easily that sending random black birds who can’t collect the necessary data as efficient and as quickly as those two. Now, I feel some strange power inside John, while the girl named Angelica has this aura that feels similar to ours…or maybe it’s a different type of aura that is same yet different.’ She put her hand on the left side of her rib cage, the healed wound still throbbing with a warm sensation. Odin narrowed his eyes at this gesture but remained silent, preferring to not comment on it.

Hmm…interesting. This girl Angelica has a similar power compared to you and the Valkyries while John has some hidden power that’s yet to be revealed. And to think there are still six more unaccounted for…what an interesting man….very well. Tell Joker that I’m willing to accept any of their requests. It’s the least I can do to the Arbiter who managed to assist us during the war. He summoned another pair of black birds out of thin air, murmured to them in the ancient Norse language, and flew beyond the gigantic high walls of Asgard under the watchful eye of Heimdall, whose eternal vigilance ensured that Asgard was always on the look-out for its enemies.

‘So the rumors were true then, Lord Odin? That an Arbiter offered their help out of their own free will for the sake of assisting their assigned ward? Odin nodded, grooming his beard.

Joker is only one of five who have earned a designation, with the other four dying before the end of the Great Harem War. From among the five, Joker was seen as the strongest, yet still weaker compared to the weakest Harem King that could fight us at a standstill and even beat us.

‘But none was as overwhelming and as terrifying as ‘him’, isn’t that right, Lord Odin?’

Ah…the Harem King who earned the title of Harem Emperor after defeating every single one of the Harem Gods and acquiring their blessings in return. The man who slew other Harem Kings to earn a bloody victory in a war that saw the near destruction of not only the real-world but also the realm of the Gods…a part of me wants to have another Harem King similar to him, while a part of me refuses to even consider the possibility of one appearing in the future. It’s true then that age does a number of you, right Randgris? He turned towards Randgris, whose gaze was still on the fields beyond them.

‘Of course Lord Odin. As the Norse God of War, the possibility of a fight excites you even more than gaining knowledge. Besides, if this war is any indication, then you can expect exceptionally talented Harem Kings to emerge and eventually work their way towards you.’ Odin turned her back towards her and took a few steps forward, summoning a pitch black portal in front of him, eyes closed in deep contemplation.

Then I guess I should expect their arrival then. If that’s the case, then I have to check my battle gear. It’s been awhile since I last fought another Harem King. Come along Randgris. Tell the rest of the group to train until they reach another breakthrough. She turned around and followed him, the sound of their footsteps accompanying their walk.

[][][][][]

Once Joker arrived, they sat cross-legged on the floor, waiting for them to explain what just happened. All of them sported some tears in their clothing, a few scratches, smudges of dirt on their cheeks and faces, and sleepy expressions, a sign of doing intense activities that tired them out.

“I am sure that all of you are wondering why those unknown figures appeared. Don’t worry, I’ll tell you.” Joker sat down on the floor as well, and cleared their voice.

“I’ve asked Hades for—“ Everyone’s eyes widened, a surprise revelation that a name so familiar could have had a hand in their near-death experience.

“Hades as in the Greek God of the Underworld?~ THAT Hades?~”

“Yes, Miss Janice. The Hades you’re all familiar with in Greek Mythology.”

“So what’s his connection to your request? That’s what you like to tell us, right?”

“Very perceptive Miss Angelica. I asked him for a request to revive a certain Harem King and his Harem and serve as your sparring partners.” Angelica snorted, rolling her eyes.

“Sparring? I wouldn’t call that sparring. In fact, I’d call it an ass-whipping. That’s what it is.” Cara and Marie both nodded in response to Angelica’s statement.

“Angelica’s right. We could’ve handled them…eventually.”

“Yeah, yeah, Marie’s right. We could’ve beaten them with our abilities.” John turned his head towards them and raised his eyebrows, as if asking them if they really believed the things coming out of their mouths.

“Oh~? Is that right~? Something tells me you’re both embarrassed to admit your defeat.~ It’s not a stretch to say that I was also outmatched against her.~”

“My opponent’s sword skills surpass mine and I have yet to land a single decisive hit against her. Not only that, she had this mysterious ability to seal-off my sword techniques, forcing me to rely on normal sword movements to struggle against her. Thus, I have no shame in admitting that she is superior to me in every way.”

Aren’t they just stating the same thoughts? Heck, even I can admit my inferiority against the Harem King with the red cape. John thought.

“How about you, Sir John? Did your opponent surprise you as well?” The girls went silent and turned their focus towards him. He narrowed his eyes and nodded.

“He did. That sword of his had a strange magical energy around it and I was lucky enough to not fight him head-on. If I did, he could’ve killed me without much effort. Oh, there’s another thing that’s bothering me.”

“What is bothering you then, Sir John?”

“The fact that we were isolated from each other the moment we fought our respective enemies. Is there a reason for that?” The girls gave him strange looks as if unable to understand the question.

“Oh, and how could you tell Sir John? You never noticed it right? In fact, I’ll hazard a guess and the thought came to you just now out of the blue without warning. Am I right, Sir John?” His eyes widened in surprise, Joker nodding their head.

“That is one of the effects of entering Pandora’s Battlefield, Sir John. In there, you’ll tend to forget details and also forget that you’re fighting as one group and not as individuals. The girls didn’t register it at all until you said it to me, and it shows that you’re connection with them is still tenuous at best.”

“Yeah…so Pandora’s Battlefield is basically littered with many features that make it a challenge to navigate. Is that it, Joker?”

“Right Sir John, and what you need to do next week is to build up your relationship with the girls in your harem. Take them out on dates and other things that couples do.” The girls had different reactions when they heard Joker’s advice, and it surprised him that the girls did not mind it at all.

“Why not? I don’t mind if it leads to something else…”

“Is that all~? Looks too easy if you ask me~”

“Hey! What do you mean ‘looks easy’?! Don’t tell me you’ve already planned a date from the very beginning?!” Janice flashed Marie a secretive smile that agitated her even more.

“Hum! A date ehh? YEAH! It would be nice if I can get some alone time with John…”

“Hmm…going out with a man that you barely know personally to improve our bond with each other…umm…isn’t it going too fast?”

“I See. Go Out Together To Increase Bonds. I Agree With This Decision.” The girls’ voices were now filling the room, like a busy Greek agora where hawkers peddle their wares to walkers that pass by their stalls.

“Uh huh so I have to build up my relationship with the girls, right? I guess it means spending time with them individually.”

“Yeah partner, I agree that you should build up your relationship with them.”

“You think so too, Lu?”

“Of course partner. If we want to grow stronger together, then having sexual intercourse with them isn’t enough. You have to build up your relationship with them even though you’ve known some of them when you were still children. This will provide a bonus to the amount of lust energy you gain every time you make-out with them.”

“Hmmm…then it’s a date for each of them.”

“Yep, and you’ve already set your mind to visiting Janice’s house later and bond with her, right partner?” John had a flashback of his mother telling him to visit because it has been awhile since he dropped by.

“Alright. I guess I’ll start with her and work my way from there.” With a grunt of approval, Luscious disappeared into the depths of his soul to rest.

“Hey Joker, I’m down with dating if it means improving our teamwork although we need more than a stable relationship to grow even stronger.” The girls’ turned towards his direction and nodded their heads vigorously, as if accepting his answer.

“A good answer Sir John. You’re starting to learn what it means to be responsible at your age. In fact, as a Harem King, you can develop your leadership and people-handling skills that will serve you well in real-life.”

“That reminds me,” John interrupted. “Are the ones who ambushed us…who are they?”

“That, Sir John…remains a mystery. A mystery that I am unable to divulge yet because you and your harem don’t have the strength to take them on for now. But when all of you have grown strong enough to keep up with them, then I’ll tell all of you about this new enemy that ambushed you.”

As well as tell you that I struck a deal with one of the Advisors who resurrected them on my behalf…but should I? Or should I not? Shall I tell him that Odin knows a little about him and Angelica because of his birds that serve as his eyes and ears?

“Interesting~, so you’re going to tell us about them once we’re good enough~? Sounds fair to me~”

“So where do we go from here? I mean, should we still keep training knowing that they’re always waiting for us out there in Pandora’s Field or whatever?”

“That, Miss Angelica, is unfortunately the case, but don’t worry because I’ll be there to help all of you escape at a moment’s notice if you’re losing.”

“I see, I see. But what if we’re doing well against them? Isn’t that better compared to running?”

“Too Optimistic. Opponent Is Too Powerful. Better To Live Another Day Than Die A Useless Death.” Joker nodded at her answer while the rest of the group had stunned expressions on their faces.

“Ho~? So you can say proverbial stuff once in a while~”

“A most enlightening saying that teaches caution and demands attention…and I wholeheartedly agree.”

“Can’t you just make your statements simpler? Stop being too formal and loosen up already!”

“Right. We can beat them eventually but until then, we need to train.” Angelica flashed Sylvia a thumbs up.

“Wooow!! You sounded so cool Syl!!! Yep! If we live, then we have more chances of learning about them so we should be careful, right?” Sylvia just ignored their compliments, sporting the same blank expression on her face.

She’s pretty amazing for being able to maintain a straight face despite being complimented. John thought.

“Now that’s out of the way. It’s time I show you the real appearance of this room. But before that…” With a flick of their finger, Joker healed the wounds of the entire group, all of them gasping in wonder at their mysterious ability.

“What’re you talking about Joker? Are you saying that this isn’t an empty room at all?”

“No, Miss Angelica. I can fill this room with furniture and appliances and turn it into a place of relaxation. And I’m going to do it now.”

Using their magic, Joker furnished the room by summoning some furniture; three sofas, a wide rectangular table, a kitchen counter, refrigerator, and a vast master’s bedroom where John and the girls can sleep together.

When John asked Joker how they did it, Joker just shrugged and told him to just trust him in what he’s doing; that he was making this empty room comfortable for him and his harem. As much as John wanted to ask more questions, he just dropped it and sat in the middle of the sofa between Janice and Marie, who each grabbed his arm and shifted closer to him, to the displeasure of Angelica.

On the left sofa sat Cara, whose gaze wandered around the room, and Sylvia, who observed the objects around her, while Angelica and Alice sat on the right sofa, the former sporting an annoyed expression, and the latter murmuring some random thoughts in French.

Inside the master’s bedroom, the sofa directly faced towards an oak paneled double door that both served as the entrance and the exit to the main room, the two pairs of couches on each side near the edge of the sofa, with the table located in the middle. The kitchen area along with the refrigerator was located to the left side of the door, and two empty three-tier bookshelves the right side. Located on the far right was a door that led to a wide bathroom with a Jacuzzi, shower, and other objects.

There were no mirrors because the room’s owner can decide when or when not to use windows that appear as holographic projections along the walls using their magic ability. This concept also applies when the owner wants to play games, watch television, or even to surf the internet, because the room itself is special and only given to Harem Kings who are worthy enough to manage it.

“So Joker, what type of room is this? I mean, what’s its name?” John let his gaze wander around the well-maintained room that had remained unused for years. An abandoned room like this should have had many cobwebs, dusty covers that hid old furniture, a rustic smell in the air, and triggered a sense of familiarity or nostalgia to whoever visited it.

In this case, the room felt as if it was brand new, as if nobody had used it and it was just recently built for its new owner.

“I was supposed to teleport all of you to the Battle Lobby Sir John. However, because of time-constraints, I instead teleported all of you into an abandoned room which we call the Pleasure Suite.”

“The Pleasure Suite? What is it?” Janice pushed her breasts on John’s arm and felt their softness, generating amorous thoughts of using those same bosoms to service his manhood.

“It’s a private place Sir John where a Harem King and his Harem can take a break from not only doing Harem-related duties but also as an escape from the mundane responsibilities of the real-world. In truth, this room has already been assigned to you, just like the other Harem Kings.”

“Wait, you’re telling me that all chosen Harem Kings have these so-called Pleasure Suite’s like mine? That’s pretty opulent of them.”

“Indeed Sir John. The Harem Council spares no expense in providing luxury for Harem Kings. Of course, this luxury comes with the price of responsibility that you’re already aware of.”

John surveyed the room once more, still in awe at the way magic worked, a vastly different world compared to the world of science.

“So a Harem King’s own little world where he can have fun and leisure with his girls…I like it.”

If Joker removed their mask then he would have seen their smile but alas, such was not to be because of their secrecy.

“I’m glad you like it, Sir John. However, we have to cut short our meeting because all of you need to rest for tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow? What’re we going to do tomorrow?”

“It seems that it’s another training session,” John muttered. “I don’t mind if it’s a training session but…”

“You don’t have to worry about that Sir John. Tomorrow is a rest day and we’ll continue your training on Monday. Also, you don’t have to worry about time because an hour here inside the Harem Dimension is equal to ten minutes on the real world so you can still do normal things that boys and girls your age do like going on dates, shopping, or any activity you want to do.”

“Intriguing…can we also visit the Harem Dimension to compress our training?”

“Correct, Miss Alice. Once you’ve won your first Harem War then John can now access the Harem Dimension anytime.”

“Oh, so John is the one who can open it, then…that’s a good concept. Alright, let’s do our best to train for next Saturday’s match.”

 “I agree with your assessment. We shall train hard to defeat our enemies. I swear it!”

“Well now, it seems everybody is in agreement, and now I shall return all of you to your homes. Is that fine with you, Sir John?” He nodded.

Joker then summoned a vortex of swirling energy that will take them back to the real world and once everybody has passed through, the vortex winked out of existence, and Joker disappeared in a flash of light, leaving the Pleasure Suite as it is, linked with John’s magical signature.

[][][][][]

They appeared in front of the park entrance, the bystanders oblivious to their sudden appearance. It was still morning, and after much deliberation, John told them to meet up at the Davos Mall after changing their clothes. The girls accepted his decision and went their separate ways, leaving John and Janice alone.

The sound of cars whizzing, dogs barking, cats mewling, and the voices of children playing and laughing set the backdrop for these two people who have known each other since they were kids who are now in limbo, unable to choose a course of action.

“So Nice…you want to, uh, walk home together?”

“Ah…um…s-sure…” A strange atmosphere. The sudden descent of an awkwardness so profound that it remains a mystery. Perhaps it’s because of Joker’s advice that John should start spending time with each of the girls separately, or the fact that Janice’s flirtatious actions the past few days had served as an invitation to bed her inside her own home.

Whatever the reason, they walked side-by-side, their fingers brushing against each other, until John took the lead and wrapped his fingers around hers, making her heart beat faster because of his action.

Ah…to think he would hold my hand like this…

She took a peek at his expression and saw a seriousness that made her secure, like the sturdy roots of a mangrove tree that protected the lands behind them.

I’ve always dreamed of this moment…the time when it’s just the two of us together, lost in our own little world…a woman traveling together with the man she loves the most…

Lost in her thoughts, she let him lead her, squeezing her hands a few times for reassurance, and escorted her to her home, talking to security guard in charge of the gates leading to her large manor.

Before he left her, she grabbed his arms and turned him towards her, planting a kiss on his lips that left him dazed. She just giggled at his reaction and waved at him, returning the gesture in kind. As he made his way home, he brushed his fingers on his lips, the warmth of her affection leaving a mark on his heart.

 [][][][][]

 

 

3