Chapter 8- Is She Pretty?
266 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

9:00 AM

After hanging up the phone, Bro sipped coffee with Mrs. Ortiz. She shared stories of growing up and becoming a top-notch seamstress for Mexican soap-opera celebrities. He enjoyed her company. Afterward, he showered and went back to the room with the sleeping girls. 

Sis and Lupita dozed on the full-size bed. With care, he climbed into the spot facing the wall and closed his eyes. Just a bit more rest and he’d start the day. But less than a minute into his slumber, his sister bit his shoulder. 

“Ow, Sis."

“Mmm,” she purred. 

“Let me sleep.” 

“No.”

“Then what?” he asked, laying on his back. 

“Don’t ‘what’ me, boy. I know you called Angel.”

“So?”

“Why are you all defensive? Cause you want to be with her, right?” With an evil smile, she climbed on top of him. 

 

 

 

 

“Sis, don’t be a pain,”

“Shut up. Now, what’d you talk to that Rifle Girl about? Hmm, did she say sorry for choking you with her skinny arms?”

“No, but she’s setting a trap for us in the desert. And bringing the money.”

“You believe her?”

“Kinda, I mean, to her we’re better off dead. But that depends on how hard we are to kill,” Bro said. 

“I got you. If she gets Lupita and the accounts we won’t matter anymore.”

“Something like that. Oh, and she knows who we are. She called you my sister.”

“Eh?” her eyes squinted, “What did you tell her?”

“I said she was mistaken.”

“Tch, I’ll bet you did.” Sis stopped smiling and glared at her twin, “Bro?”

“What?”

“Is Angel pretty?”

“Sis, go away.” He turned his head, “You don’t want the answer-”

“I want it,” she said, pinning his arms down.

Bro scowled at her, “Fine. If you must know, Angel is not just pretty. She’s...captivating.”

“Ah!” Sis scowled. With the palm of her hand she pressed Bro’s face into the bed. He didn’t resist, that would make things worse. “Yeah, she looked like your type. A stylish strawberry-blonde in charge of big men. That turns you on, right?”

“Not particularly.”

"Yes it does, I know what you like." She lowered her face next to his and whispered, "I bet she smelled good too.”

“Yeah, she did.”

"But I'm 'barely tolerable' to you, right?"

"Sis-"

"Shut up, I told you I wasn't going to forget that!" she bit his nose, “Mhm, I know you want to chew Angel's panties off. Suck her small titties."

“Eh?"

"Taste her." 

"That scenario's unlikely, now get off me!” he rolled on his stomach, freeing himself from her grip. Sis fell on his back and bit his other shoulder, “Ow, stop!”

“Bro?”

“What?”

“I want the wall, you get in the middle.”

“Tch!” he sucked his teeth and rolled into the middle of the bed next to Lupita. Sis smiled and squeezed herself between him and the wall, “Such a brat.”

“You make me like this.”

“No, I-” before he finished his thought he remembered something, “Oh wait, Sis?”

“Hmm?”

“Did you call that DEA agent?”

“Oh yeah, Mike Latty,” she faced Bro, “He’s cool, he’ll help us.”

“Did you tell him he’d get promoted?”

“Didn’t have to. Turns out the DEA is all over the Romero cartel. As a matter of fact, he told me the Mexican government froze a bunch of their bank holdings." 

“Huh! No wonder they’re so desperate to get those account numbers,” Bro said. “But Mike doesn’t know we’re in Mexico, does he?”

“He was smart enough not to ask,” she said, rolling over to face the wall.

“Good for him.” 

“I know, right.”

The twins quieted down and Bro closed his eyes again. Maybe they’d come out of this alive. Who knows. 

10:00 am

Sunlight leaked from a curtain. Bro opened his eyes. Sis snoozed on his right side, but at the foot of the bed, Lupita sat upright stretching her arms. With a smile, she turned and waved hello to Bro. 

“Good morning,” he greeted her back. 

Wearing a big t-shirt, Lupita crawled next to him and said, “I am so sorry about all of this.”

“Eh?” Bro raised his head, “Uh, what can I say. I mean, I kinda brought this on myself, ya know?”

Lupita smirked and laid her head down, “You and your sister are very strange. I’ve never met siblings, or, anyone like you two before.”

“Ah, well, I’m sure there are worse versions of us.”

“Heh,” she chuckled and looked in his eyes. “I heard you guys talking earlier.”

“Did we disturb you? Sorry, abo-”

“Well, when I woke up she was on top of you.”

“Ah,” Bro’s heart sank. He had no explanation for his Sister’s weirdness, “My sister, she...she’s just like that. Don’t get the wrong idea.”

“Don’t worry. Even with my poor English, I can tell she just wants your attention.”

“She gets it too!” he scowled at his sleeping twin, “What a pain in the ass she is.”

“Haha,” Lupita laid her head on his chest. “Your heart is beating fast,” she said, "I didn't mean to embarrass you." 

“Oh, well, yeah,” he muttered, unsure of Lupita’s intention. 

“Bro?”

“Yes?”

“You won’t tell me your real name, will you?”

“Mmm, it’s best I don’t exist, for your sake.” 

“Can you at least tell me your age?” she said, now hugging him.

“Sure, me and Sis are nineteen. How about you?”

“I turned twenty-one in May, just before graduating university.”

“Ah cool. We’re going back in February. We missed this semester-”

“Bro?”

“Yes?”

Lupita didn’t respond right away. Instead, she buried her nose in his stomach before asking him, “Why did you help me?”

“Hmm,” he glanced down at her and paused for a long time before answering, “I helped you because...well...it wouldn'tve been right to leave you at that house.”

Expecting Lupita to reply, he raised his head. But she didn’t respond. Instead, she began to cry. And to mask her tears she squeezed him tighter, entombing her face in his gut.  

“Hey, it’s ok. You didn’t do anything wrong,” Bro said, but Lupita continued to sob. Her sorrow cut him so deep that he just laid his head back and allowed her to grieve while closing his eyes for a few minutes more. 

9