Chapter 10- Gauntlet
167 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Guidance

A few miles from Parritas, Juan Pablo strutted through a motel parking lot. While walking, he spoke on the phone to a girl who swore she’d gut him like a pig. The chief enforcer of the Romero cartel didn't react or rage. When the call ended the tall boss calmly texted his men giving them the location that the girl called from. He then settled in the passenger seat of his car while three vehicles packed with gunmen pulled up in the lot. 

“Juan Pablo! Those Americans and Lupita are ten minutes away! Let’s go!” one of his excited men shouted. 

The big enforcer nodded, “We are, amigos. The Americans are driving east on route two. We'll cut them off at the Carrizal intersection.”

“Hell yeah!” the men shouted and revved their engines. But his driver turned and asked, “Boss, not that we need them, but aren’t there more guys?”

“Yes, Pancho. Between here and the next town we'll have more than enough men to run that old truck off the road. And then I’m going to meet that American bitch who talked shit to me on the phone earlier.”

“What are you going to do to her?” Pancho asked with a sly smile. 

“Torture and kill her. But if she’s good looking, then maybe I’ll give her to the guys, teach her respect.”

“Haha, Juan Pablo, that’s why the women love you. You set boundaries!”

“These hoes need guidance, amigo! And I’m glad to help,” The big man said with a laugh before ordering his men to drive off. 

Intersection

As Juan Pablo and the Romero crew rode, he communicated with others who tracked the grey Ford Bronco. Soon, more gunmen joined his four car-convoy. By the time they reached the intersection of route two, they were ten cars deep. Forty men in all. 

Juan Pablo, two cars back from the lead car, gazed out at the approaching intersection. The walkie-talkie on his phone chirped. It was Jorge calling from the lead vehicle, "Juan Pablo, I see them up ahead! They're trying to reach the Carrizal shanty-town."

"You have a visual?" At that moment the grey truck appeared. Juan Pablo smirked, "Jorge, I see them. They think they're smart. They’re gonna try and lose us in alleys in that maze of a town. Everyone, speed up until you're on their tail! Don't lose sight of them!”

"You got it, Boss!" every goon on the walkie-talkie shouted back.

As he commanded, all ten cars closed the distance on the Ford. Even Juan Pablo was able to make out the three bodies in the vehicle.

"They’re using Lupita as bait because they know we won't fire with her in the truck," Pancho said.

"Shoot the driver and the tires, then," Juan Pablo ordered.

The Texas plates on the Bronco came into view as the gunmen in the first two convoy vehicles stuck AK-47's out the windows to fire. Juan Pablo smirked, tasting the victory of catching Lupita and her American friends. 

But as they pursued, the grey Bronco’s engine roared, and the vehicle suddenly blazed forward at over one hundred miles per hour toward the town. 

“How the fuck!” Juan Pablo shouted as the vehicle sped away from the cartel. “They can’t be that fast in that old truck!”

“He must have a supercharged engine,” Pancho said, “But once he gets into that town he has to slow down!” 

“Fuuuuck! Catch up to him!” Juan Pablo shouted into the walkie-talkie. 

But as the cartel-men raced to overtake the truck, the grey Bronco slowed and took a sharp right, disappearing into a narrow alley street.

“They’re trying to hide, don’t lose them!” Juan Pablo commanded. 

The two lead vehicles barreled forward to the alley street when the unthinkable happened. 

“LOOK OUT!!” a voice on the walkie-talkie screamed, as the grey Bronco backed out of the alley and smashed the grill of the lead chase vehicle.

“Jorge!” Juan Pablo shouted as the lead car ground to a halt. This caused an accordion effect. The second chase car crashed into the stopped lead, and Juan Pablo’s car rear-ended the second. But that wasn’t all. 

As soon as the first vehicle stopped, the Americans in the truck jumped out with rifles in hand and opened fire on the crashed lead vehicle. They unloaded full magazines at the car and everyone else behind, including Juan Pablo. 

“You motherfuckers!” Juan Pablo growled, jumping out to the ground as bullets peppered his windshield. From the pavement, the big man raised up and fired a forty-five pistol at the two American shooters. One of them, a beautiful black-haired girl. That must be the bitch from the phone! The chief enforcer raged at the sight of her. 

Before the stalled gunmen could catch their bearings, the American shooters jumped back in the Ford truck and sped up the narrow alley. But not before murdering all four cartel-men in the lead vehicle, and injuring two in the second car. 

“Go around! Go around! Don’t let them escape!” Juan Pablo screamed as the remaining nine cars split up into the town to flank the truck. “Those damn Americans, I want them alive!” 

Maze

“Bro, did you see their ‘WTF!?’ faces when we backed into them? Hahahaha!” Sis said, laughing after the twins shot-up the lead car. 

“They’re gonna try to circle us,” Bro said with his eyes scanning every street they passed. 

“Nah, screw these dudes. Make a left here, now!” 

“Tch!” On his sister’s word, Bro jolted the truck down a narrow block, “What the hell, Sis? The main road takes us out of this town!”

“Trust me, Bro. Go faster!” she ordered.

Bro increased speed, eyeing the street exit. But as soon as he reached the block intersection an enemy car cut in front of them. 

“Get him, Bro!” Sis yelled and Bro obliged. He floored the gas pedal and t-bone smashed the enemy vehicle. He didn’t stop either, the bounty hunter pushed the crashed vehicle into the fence of a house on the block. “Haha, I told you- ah shit!”

Sis couldn’t finish her sentence, as the twins ducked gunfire ripping through the Bronco's cab. An enemy car got behind their truck and blocked them as they tried to back up. Two gunmen hopped out, trying to flank the siblings. Bro kicked the truck door open and shot one gunman at point-blank range. But the dying enemy’s rifle bullet caught Bro’s knee and shoulder.

“Shit, I'm hit!” Bro yelled as he dropped to the ground.

“BRO!!!” Sis screamed while firing an unending barrage at the vehicle, killing the driver and the remaining gunman. The huntress ran around the truck to help her twin as three more cars entered the block. 

“Sis, you gotta drive!” Bro growled as he climbed into the truck dragging a bleeding leg. Sis pushed him to the passenger side then backed the truck up full speed at the three pursuit vehicles. 

The cartel gunmen fired a volley at the truck, but their shots struck the rear door where the giant steel-slab lay, protecting the inside. 

“Fuck you!” the huntress shouted, smashing the Bronco into an enemy vehicle, before throwing the truck in forward gear and peeling off. 

Offer

Juan Pablo shouted orders in his walkie-talkie to the remaining cars pursuing the Bronco. But the vehicle proved fast and durable. 

“We can’t get around them on these narrow streets!” a gunman barked on the walkie. 

“Don’t worry, they’re heading into the open desert now,” Juan Pablo replied. But as soon as he spoke his phone rang, “Speak!” he yelled into the device. 

“Hey, your men shooting up my truck are gonna kill Lupita, and you're pissing me off!” the voice of the American girl barked. 

“Ah!” Caught off guard, Juan Pablo tried to respond. But the girl continued. 

“Yeah, so how much are you going to pay me not to kill you?” 

“What? Fuck you and your truck, you cunt!” Juan Pablo’s eyes squinted, “You have no ide-” 

“You call me a cunt!” she cut him off, “But you idiots are chasing us into the desert and none of your cars can handle the terrain! You can’t catch me!”

“Listen, you whore-”

“Just answer the question. How much to not kill you? And it better be a high price cause I need the mo-” Click 

Juan Pablo hung up on her. He wasn’t interested in her bullshit. "Ima slit that hoe's throat," he muttered. Then his phone vibrated with a text from the American girl.

“Since you hung up on me, after I kill your men, Ima poke out your eyeballs and skull-fuck you, you pussy!” 

"Bitch!" In a fury, he dialed her number back. The phone rang and a digital voice answered, “Your phone number has been blocked by the recipient.”

“Raaaaah! All bets are off!” the big man yelled into the walkie-talkie to chase cars, “Kill everyone in that truck!”

On his word, the men inside the first vehicle stuck their bodies out the window and hurled AK-47 shots at the fast-moving Bronco. The enemy rounds shattered the truck’s side windows. But the grey Ford barreled out of the town and into the open desert. No longer on paved streets, the Americans took off in a cloud of dust, trailed by the furious Juan Pablo.

“Fuuuck!” 

...

8