Chapter 15- Dont Ever Forget it!
181 8 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Want

From the instant the bullets struck his vest, Bro struggled to breathe. When he fell, his back hit the ground. And for the first few seconds he could only gasp. 

“Aaah..”

Everything hurt, his chest, knee, his hand where Angel shot the gun out was sore. Even though the bullet never struck the flesh. I’m all used up.

With great effort Bro laid his head at the foot of the concrete barrier. The new position allowed air to flow through his nose. But as his lungs inhaled, his sister called out. 

“Eric!?” 

“Sis?” he grunted at the sound of his real name. A name his sister would only say if she were scared.  

“Eric? Goddammit, Eric?”

“Mina…” He tried to yell out, but his voice wouldn’t work, Dammit. On sheer will, he gripped the top of the barrier.

"ERIC, ANSWER ME!" she cried out. 

“Mina, it’s ok. I’m still with you...” His words were inaudible as he lay on the ground behind the barricade, where no one could see him.

Sis stopped calling him. “Raaaah! I’ll kill you!” She then shouted as the thump of a fist-fight echoed against the false buildings in the street. And from the violent racket, Bro knew Sis went after Angel.

Shit! Mina, don’t!

Bro muscled himself up the concrete barricade. With his head raised over the top, he gaped at the sight. Two Rifle Girls fought it out. One seriously injured and losing. No, Mina!  Now in a panic, Bro forced his lungs and voice to scream his sister’s name, “Mina!”

When he yelled out the two ladies ceased fighting and stared at him. 

“Eric?” Sis answered. 

“Mina, stop!” Bro growled in a weak voice. “If Angel wanted us dead we would’ve been dead already. But if you keep going at her she’ll kill you.” He then looked at the other fighter, “Angel, you win! Please stop.” Please don’t hurt my sister. With that said, Bro sat back on the concrete barrier, broken and defeated.

“Eric!!” With tears streaming down her face, Sis ran and tackle-hugged her brother. “Dammit, I hate you!” she squeezed him and sobbed in his dirty shirt.

“I know, Sis. And I’m sorry about all of this. I’m sorry I made you cry.” 

“I'll never forgive you!”

“I know.” He hugged his sister tight but kept an eye on Angel.

Three of Angel’s men trotted toward the scene. Each aimed their rifles at the twins, “Leader, you good?” they called out. 

“Yes, we’re clear here. But get the money off the fountain. Those two didn’t earn it,” Angel said glaring at Bro. “Even with Lupita not here, you still owe me, Cowboy,” she said, retrieving her two guns. 

“The accounts, right? I sent them to your phone after I called you earlier,” Bro said.

“You did?” Angel pulled her mobile out of her pocket. After inspecting a message she walked toward the twins, “This is not satisfactory.”

“Yeah, about that. Angel, Lupita is with the DEA.” 

“What?”

“Don’t worry, she won’t mention your employer.”

“You don’t know that!” Angel growled. 

“Lupita knows all the books on the Romero cartel, and your accounts were separate. That means she has more than enough info to provide to the DEA without ever mentioning your name. And have faith, because if Lupita ever drops a dime about you, or your employer, she’ll incriminate herself into being at the scene of all the killing the past twenty-four hours.”

“That’s no gua-”

Before Angel could protest Sis turned and interrupted, “You’re a Ganz, aren’t you?”

“Eh?” Angel gaped at her.

“Your British accent and your fighting style. Is your mother the Rifle Girl, Ulia Ganz?” Sis asked. 

Angel paused, “Yes, she is. How would you know that?”

“I know a lot of things, to include that Ulia Ganz was British and beautiful. And her fighting style was Silat, like yours. So I took a guess."

“I see.” Angel’s menacing eyes softened, “My mother is still British and beautiful.”

“That’s great! My mom is still hot too. And my name is Mi-”

“I know who you are. You’re the Rifle Girl Mina Lee, call sign Sister.” Angel scowled at Bro. “And this Cowboy is your twin brother, Eric Lee.”

“Eh?” Sis smiled, “You hear that, Bro? She knows us cause we’re famous.” 

“Or infamous.” 

“Whatever, High-Five!”

“Copy!”

The twins slapped a weak high-five as two of Angel’s men strutted past, carrying the duffle bag of money. 

“Aww, I can smell that cash,” Sis said before gripping her wounded hand. “Ouch, crap.”

Angel’s third man walked behind the duffle bag and asked, “Leader, which transport does it go in?” 

“Put it in yours.”

“Ten-four.”

“Victor, wait.” Angel stopped him.

“Yes, Leader.”

“Please provide first aid to Mina, and then give her the remote for Bravo-two.”

“Ten-four,” the big man named Victor pulled Sis to the side, “Hi, can I take a look at your hand?”

“Oh,” Sis obliged as he retrieved a medical pouch from his back. She then asked him, “What’s Bravo-two?”

“Ah,” Victor dug in his pocket, displayed a digital key, and pointed it at the black SUV behind the fountain. He clicked a button and the truck’s alarm cycled. “That’s Bravo-two.” He gave her the key. 

“Are you serious?” Sis looked at Angel. 

“Yes, it’s compensation for your brother pointing out the “snitch” last night. Among other things.”

“Yeah, Bro's a smart-ass when he wants to be," she beamed. "So, is it a Chevy Tahoe? It looks brand new!” 

“It is new, hmph! Victor, show her the truck.”

“Heh, ten-four,” Victor walked Sis to the vehicle. 

 

This World

With Sis inspecting the ride, Bro grunted and sat-up on the barrier. Angel stepped in front of him. 

“You’re in bad shape,” she said.

“Yeah, no thanks to you.”

“Are you complaining?”

“Not at all!” he winced in fear. “But Angel, all jokes aside. I know a lot of crazy stuff happened-"

“Eric?" she said his name in a hushed yet sharp tone. 

"Yes?"

"Why did you take the shot?"

"Hmm? What shot? Do you mean when I popped that gunman going after you?" 

“Yes.”

“Huh.” Bro didn't expect the question. And in his present condition, he wasn't prepared to answer. While he pondered, Angel reapplied her ponytail, making it tight and presentable. It embarrassed him that he found her adorable. He smirked before answering, "Angel, from the minute we met at the gas station, you had more than one opportunity to take me down. To torture me, get information, but you didn't."

"I did try, but you’re a difficult bloke."

"I appreciate that,” he smiled, “But you could’ve stopped me if you really wanted to. But instead, you gave me the benefit of the doubt because you knew I wasn't your enemy." He glanced up and locked eyes with her. "And I know I caused some problems.”

“Nothing I couldn’t handle.”

“Obviously, but still. I'm sure the reason I'm not dead right now is that deep down you don't hate me. And I certainly don’t hate you. Heck, to tell you the truth, after I saw you battling those Romero guys, all bad-ass with your G3 rifle, I considered you a comrade-in-arms. And dammit Angel, I would never turn my back on a comrade. And that's why I took the shot.”

“I see.”

After he spoke, Angel turned away and stared down the street in silence. With all the fighting maybe she just needed a minute. She then faced Bro while placing her hand on the bullet holes in his body armor.

"Did this hurt?" she asked.

"It still does."

"Good." Before Bro could blink Angel balled her fist and bashed the bullet holes with her knuckles.

"Gaaah!" Bro grunted as the agony of seven hells brought tears to his eyes while he keeled over clutching his chest, “Owww! Why would you do that?” he cried.

“What do you mean, why?” Angel gently cupped the back of his neck and pulled him close, “The pain coursing through you means you’re alive, innit mate?” Full British accent.

“Aaahh...I guess that’s true,” he gasped back. 

“Indeed, it is. Now, I want you to listen, for this will be the only time I say this.” Angel whipped her ponytail and pulled his face kiss-close to her lips, “Eric, if you ever cross me again, and I mean in the slightest way. Then I promise you that I will not blink, nor hesitate for a moment to put two bullets in your head, and leave your corpse on a sun-bleached road for the buzzards to feast on. Do I make myself clear?”

“Ah...” Still hunched over, Bro grunted back, “Crystal clear.” And he meant it.  

“That’s the right answer, yeah.” She patted his face, “Shows you’re a good lad. Now, when you Villainous Lee Twins exit this movie set, you are to drive twelve kilometers north to the town of San Pedro. Our Lady of Faith hospital is located there. Take your sister and yourself to the emergency room and tell the physicians on duty that I sent you. They’ll patch you both up.”

“What?” Bro squinted at her words, “Wait a minute. You choked me, shot me, punched me, and now you’re sending me to a hospital? Are you bipolar?”

“Not at all, you got what you deserved! Besides...” She looked away, “It’s just my way of thanking you.” 

“Thanking me?” Bro shook his head. It seemed this crazy girl acknowledged that he’d saved her life. But still, “Angel, I’m sure you would’ve shot that guy for me if the situation was reversed.”

"Oh?" she smirked at him, “Do you really think so?”

“Without a doubt,” he smiled.

“Hmph, then I guess you are a fool, Eric Lee.”

“A living one.” 

“Hardly,” she looked him up and down, “you should take better care of yourself.”

“I’ll start today.”

“See that you do!”

"Copy!"

For a brief but magical moment, Bro shared a misery-filled laugh with Angel. Then Victor pulled up in a truck next to them and spoke, “Hey fella, your sister drove off to collect your rifles. She said you guys needed to get your plates off your Ford and burn it.”

“Alright, thank you, man.” Bro nodded and looked at Angel, “I guess that’s your ride.”

“Yes, it is.” 

As she walked away he called out to her, “Angel?”

“Yes?”

“Considering you now know everything about me, and have punished me severely for my transgressions." 

“I went easy on you.”

“I’m sure you think so. But umm... Since I know you don’t hate me, and you have my mobile number,” he met eyes with her, "could you maybe tell me your real name?"

“Oh,” she blushed, “Is that all? My name is Elisa. Elisa Ganz.”

“That’s a pretty name.”

“Thank you.”

"Hey, Elisa?" 

“Yes, Eric?”

“Before you go, I just wanted you to know that you are a truly terrifying woman.” 

“Eh!” Angel cracked an evil smile, “Haha, Indeed I am, Cowboy. And don’t you ever forget it!” With a pout and a whip of her ponytail she hopped in her truck. And without a second glance, she raced out of the town in a cloud of dust.

“I won't forget," Bro muttered as the Rifle Girl disappeared. Wracked in pain but still alive, he couldn’t help but smile. For it seemed the bad odds worked out after all. 

 

Such is life...

 

 

 

 

Sis, Bro, and Angel- illustrated by reveriereine

 

6