Chapter 2: Tharivol!
1.2k 4 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day went by rather slowly for the rest of the Noïle family. Rowraek, the head of the family, had taken care of his small amount of business for the day and now sat down happily for dinner. Eilna, Rowraek’s wife, had spent her day reading through letters from extended family. Quinkas and Genric, the twins and youngest sons of the family, had spent the majority of their day in classes trying to show up all the other students in a failed attempt to get to talk to women. Needless to say it had been a rather slow easy day for all of them. All were ready at the table and eager to get dinner started, but there was one issue - Tharivol wasn't there yet. Which meant that dinner couldn’t yet be served, much to the annoyance of the family and house servants.

“Julian,” Rowraek said towards a butler, “Do you happen to know where my eldest son is at the moment? He’s holding up dinner.”

“To my knowledge, he is still in his study, sir. Attendants have been sent to gather hi…”

A loud boom shot through the house with a shockwave that toppled most of the glasses on the dinner table. Everyone’s eyes went wide as they all looked around at each other confused. Suddenly Eilna stood up from her chair.

“Tharivol!”

All at once everyone shot up and ran for the door. Though their house wasn’t the largest in Arvanys, the Elven capital, to Rowraek and Eilna it felt like the largest house in the world right now. They couldn’t get to their son fast enough. The twins didn’t have the same feeling. Of course they cared for their older brother, but they did want to overstep him and be the ones groomed for a position in the Pronomys, the high mage council of the Elven country.

“He’s probably killed himself in some experiment,” Genric said

“No doubt, or at least horribly maimed himself,” Quinkas replied.

“Would you two be quiet!” Eilna snapped at her two youngest. 

             When they finally reached Tharivol’s study they were met with house staff already attempting to push the door in. From beneath the door a dense fog was pouring out. One of the upper staff quickly came up to them panting heavily from presumably trying to force the door open.

“Sirs, Madam, we don’t know what happened except for what sounded like an explosion from inside Tharivol’s study. We’ve tried calling out to him but there’s no answer. We’re trying to push the door open but it seems Master Tharivol’s locks are still in place.” The twin had often played pranks on their older brother by sabotaging his experiments, so in turn Tharivol had put in place a number of magical locks on his study.

“Why not just use magic and blow the door in?” Eilna almost shouted at the man like they were idiots for not trying.

“They can’t do that, it’s antique! My great, great Grandfather placed that door,” Rowraek quickly retorted to his wife.

“He is right. It would hurt the decor of our home.” The twins said in unison.

“Does it not matter that your son and your brother is trapped in there?!” Eilna was almost hysterical at this point. How could they care more about the damn door than Tharivol?

“It does matter very much, Eilna, but that doesn’t change the fact that we shouldn’t hurt our home!”

“Oh, Gods help me,” Eilna groaned before stepping to stand in front of the door. The staff trying to open the door took note, but didn’t rush out of the way until she pulled out her wand. Then they practically dove for cover as she quickly cast a force spell on the door. Rowraek yelled at her of course, but she didn’t care as she watched the door fall forward and crash into the floor.

59