Chapter 3: Out of the Fog
1.2k 3 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The fog that had been trapped in the room suddenly washed out over the family and servants. It was like a massive wave that took far too long to start clearing, but once it started Eilna called out for her son and made her way to the door. Before she could walk in, a figure started to emerge from inside of the fog filled room. At first everyone thought it was Tharivol, but this person was shorter than him...and curvier. In fact, it wasn’t a man, but a woman. A High-Elven woman that, for a second, Rowraek and Eilna could have sworn was Rowraek’s great grandmother. To Quinkas and Genric she looked like the type of girl they would happily compete over. That all being said, she was wearing horrible ill fitting clothes that would have fit better on Tharivol. Wait, those were Tharivol’s clothes!

“I’m sorry I didn’t hear your calls. My ears are still ringing horribly from the explosion,” the strange woman said in a soft delicate voice. “But you didn’t have to go blowing the door down.” She rubbed one of her presumably sore ears and seemed happily surprised to find long blue hair. Everyone was staring at the woman questioningly. “Why are all of you staring?”

“Wh… Who are you? Where is my son?” Rowraek asked.

The woman raised an eyebrow at the question. “Do you really not recognize your eldest child?” Everyone’s eyes went wide. “What’s the matter?” she asked looking around.

“Tharivol, is that really you?” Eilna asked taking a step forward.

“Of course. Who else would it be?” Tharivol said with a large smile. “Is everything alright, mother?” Before she could really do anything about it, her mother ran at her and wrapped her arms tightly around her. With a small chuckle she hugged her back.

“Oh thank the Gods you're alright. Well mostly, at least.”

“I’m perfectly fine, mother. Though running straight into this new chest hurt a tad. I still don’t see what all the fuss is about.”

“Tharivol, you…”, her brothers stammered.

“For gods’ sakes, Tharivol! You’re a woman!” her father screamed.

“Oh… I am, aren't I? That would explain why my clothes aren’t fitting right. I’ll have to go and get some new clothes…”

“What in the hells happened, Tharivol?!”

“Father please, there is no need to yell anymore. My hearing has mostly come back now. I guess it was an accident, but I’m not hurt at all so everything is fine. Well except for the poor door.” Her mother pulled away from her now with tears in her eyes. She didn’t step away and actually started to look her daughter over more thoroughly. 

“Everything is not fine!” At this point the servants had started to slowly back off and take their leave, even though they were all still listening intently. “You are my eldest son!”

“I’m actually your eldest and only daughter…” She finished with a light chuckle

“Tharivol, you will not call yourself my dau-”

“Oh will you be quiet, Rowraek? Our child has just been in an accident. Can you not give them peace for one second?” Eilna quickly retorted before her husband could continue.  It shocked both Tharivol and her father that she so quickly stood up for her. She also noted that her mother used a gender neutral pronoun for her instead of just saying “him” like usual.

“This is getting too strange for me,” Quinkas said quietly.

“Yes. Our brother turning into an attra… Shall we head back to the dinning hall?” Genric replied. They both nodded in agreement and quickly took their leave, doing their best not to be noticed.

61