Chapter 4: A Name
1.4k 21 80
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rowraek stammered a little bit and huffed before saying, “Eilna, I will not have my eldest son flaunt himself around as a woman! He’s my son!”

“Rowraek, regardless of whether Tharivol is now your daughter or son it does not matter at the moment. They are no doubt shaken and shocked about all of this so will you please leave it alone!”

Now Tharivol and her father were really shocked. Rowraek by how uncaring Eilna was bout their childs sex change, and Tharivol by how accepting their mother seemed to be about them being her daughter.

“Alright fine.” Rowraek said through clenched teeth. “ But we will start looking for a way to fix this after dinner.”

“Oh… About that. I was toying with pretty theoretical magics and curses, so I don't know how lucky you will be at finding a way to…” she trailed off doing her best to sell that lie.

“We will look for a way, Tharivol. Now let us get back to dinner before the chef starts panicking that we have messed up his perfect timing for each course.” With that he turned, not wishing to face his ‘son’ anymore and stormed off down the hall. Eilna was about to follow suit in hopes of attempting to cool down her husband.

“Mother,” Tharivol said catching her mother's attention. “Before we head to dinner, would it be alright if I borrowed some clothes. None of my old ones fit anymore and I would hate to go to dinner in improper attire.”

“Oh, right.” Eilna replied a little taken aback, but she supposed Tharivol was right. “Alright dear. Just not the Quilients dresses, please. I would hate for them to get a stain.”

“Of course, mother. Oh, and I would need one more outfit for tomorrow so that I can go out and get some clothes of my own, of course. Would you mind if I borrowed the purple dress you wore the day we went out with…”

It was at that moment Eilna realized something. Something that made a lot of sense when she thought about it. All the times as a babe that Tharivol would get upset over wearing a shirt and pants instead of a dress. How much they would shy away from anything typically masculine. The way all those horrible school mates would pick on Tharivol for acting feminine. The horrible self image they held for themselves. The midnight crying fits they had when they thought no one was around. “Tharivol,” She said, interrupting her daughter’s tangent about the purple dress.

“Yes?”

“It wasn’t an accident was it?”

Tharivol’s eyes went as wide as they possibly could. Could her mother have really guessed it that easily? “I... I... I... I don’t know what you’re talking about…” It felt like she stammered on every syllable. 

“It’s alright, dear,” Eilna said with a heart warming smile that only a mother could give. “I’ve always wanted a daughter, and now I’m glad to know I already had one.”

Tharivol felt a tear roll down her face before she attacked her mother with a hug, much like the one her mother had given her earlier. “Thank you, mother. You don’t know how much it means to hear you say that.” Eilna smiled happily and hugged her daughter back, which was a bit easier now that she was a few inches shorter.

“Of course. I love you, dear.”

“I love you, too.”

They stood there for a minute or two before Eilna pulled away gently and said, “Now let’s get you some proper clothes for dinner.” Tharivol happily nodded, wiping the tears from her face before following her mother down the hall. “You know when you first walked out I could have sworn you were your great, great grandmother.”

Tharivol chuckled lightly before asking, “Which one?”

“Endallia.”

“Endallia… That’s a nice name.”

“A beautiful name for a beautiful woman, and a very fitting name for her great, great granddaughter.”

Endallia blushed. “I think I would like that very much.”

80