Chapter 8
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

His smile is infectious, and it’s enough to shake off my dark mood. I smile right along with him and take the seat next to him.

“She’s my Tessa.”

“Does she know it yet?” He raises an eyebrow, and I’m always amazed at what he sees. He knows things before I say them, and he makes me feel like he can read minds.

“Not yet. But there are some complications.”

“There always are. You need help?”

I nod my head a little and tell him what’s going on. I tell him about the job and what’s going to happen afterwards, knowing that I’ll need his help when it comes time to leave. After I’ve finished telling him everything, he gets up and squeezes my shoulder as he walks away.

Saying goodbye won’t be easy.

Looking down at my phone, I see the tracker hasn’t moved, still showing Tessa at work. I put my car in gear and make my way back to her bank, feeling a little calmer now. My plans may not be what I had wanted them to be, but they will work. They have to. It’s far too late to pull back now that Heavy has locked on to the bank, then on to Tessa. There’s no going back, and I will do anything to make sure nothing blows back on her.

It’s before lunchtime but a little while after they’ve opened, so it shouldn’t be too crowded. I got the tracker in Tessa’s phone after the first time I followed her. I got the call about doing the job, and I started checking out the bank right away. When I saw her at the teller line, I stopped in my tracks and got out of there as fast as I could without drawing attention. She captivated me right away, and I didn’t know what to do. I’d never had a reaction to anyone like that before. I felt my heart pounding and need ran through me. It was unexplainable, and I didn't even try to fight it. It was like I was looking for something and didn't even know it until it was right in front of me.

Waiting for her after work that first time was pure hell. I counted the seconds until she left, and then I was careful to hang back as she got on the train. I rode it with her all the way to her apartment, getting off at the same time as her. She was completely oblivious the whole time I stalked her back to her home, and I watched as she went up to her apartment.

That first time I waited until the middle of the night and snuck up the fire escape—like I’ve been doing every night since then—but that night I opened the window in the living room and went inside. I placed the tracker on her phone and made myself leave before I did anything stupid. Like stand over her bed and watch her sleep.

Tessa works at Trust Bank, which is located in the heart of downtown Chicago. It’s not very big, but it just so happens to have contracts with the city and takes in close to a million dollars in cash each day from the surrounding municipalities. What makes Monday so special is that it’s their monthly reserve shipment, when they empty the vault of their normal shipment, plus any excess funds the branch deems unnecessary. Armored trucks will show up Monday afternoon to take it to the Federal Reserve, leaving them with a limited amount of cash until the next day’s deposits are made.

This equates to about fifteen million dollars bagged up and ready for processing bright and early Monday morning. It’s nothing to shake a stick at, but by the time Heavy takes his cut and divides what’s left between his people, I’ll only be looking at one or two million. That’s not worth a life sentence in a Federal prison.

No, what I’m walking out of that bank with will set me up for life. I’ve already got a nice little nest egg going, but I want to do this last job and get out. And the man who hired me for this job is willing to pay any price for what’s inside that box.

After I park my car, I get out and walk inside. I don’t have a bank account here, but from what I know about my Tessa, she’s a sucker for someone in need. Her big heart can’t seem to help itself—one of the things I love about her.

I walk up to the teller line and wait behind a couple of people. Looking around, I see Tessa on the end, smiling shyly at a male customer she’s helping.

Suddenly, I find myself angry that she’s giving her smiles to someone else. It’s insane because she doesn’t know who I am, but her smiles are mine. I don’t want those precious glances directed at anyone but me.

I clench my fists and try to control myself as I take a step forward, waiting for my turn. Looking down the teller line, I see there are four more people besides my Tessa working up front, all of whom I’ve researched and know almost everything about.

“I can help you right here, sir.” I look over to see Harper smiling brightly at me, raising her eyebrows in invitation. I’m sure to anyone else she looks friendly, but I see the way she’s leering at me. I don’t want any part of it.

“No, thanks. I’m waiting on her.” I point down to Tessa, who’s finishing up with a customer.

Harper looks at Tessa, and her eyes bug out like she can’t believe who I’m talking about. Turning back to me, she flashes her fake smile and tries again. “Are you sure, honey? I’d be more than happy to take care of you.”

This time she leans down a little, showing me some of her cleavage, and I find it hard not to laugh. Instead I just shake my head and watch Tessa as I wait.

I can see she overheard our conversation as her cheeks turn a beautiful shade of pink. She’s embarrassed by my wanting her, but I can’t imagine why. Her body is thick and curvy and made to take a man in every way. I’d roll over if she showed me her cleavage.

1