Chapter 3 – Mikael
49 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My alarm clock goes off.

"Aaah..." I groan as I reach my hand out to silence the gadget.

Even though it's on the quietest setting, it wakes me up so easily. Sleeping has been hard recently. there's so much I want to get done in the day, why does the sun have to go down so soon. Maybe when I go to the city with Uncle I can get one of the new Da Vinci Company lanterns that my friends were talking about in schooling.

I rub my eyes as I rise from my bed and go to get dressed. Why is the house so quiet? Mother and Father were out late last night, but they're usually up by now to prepare breakfast. Are they hiding for my birthday celebration? Hehe, I bet they heard my alarm go off and are being sneaky with presents. I'll surprise them by sneaking out myself!

I tip-toe out of my room, being careful not to breathe much or to make the floorboards creak. I peek into the kitchen...

Eh? Where are they?

"Mother? Father?"

Nobody's here, so I take a big sniff. There's no food either? Are they still asleep?

I check their bedroom, I think they were here. It still looks kind of messy... Why didn't they clean up their bed like usual?

I put on my shoes and try to leave the house, but the door is locked. Why is the door locked? Where's the key?

I raise one of the wooden shutters and peek outside, people are gathered near the town centre and they're mostly being pretty quiet. I should be there too. I'm old enough to join the militia now after all, and I'm going with the town trading caravan to the city today too. What's everybody doing?

I frown and climb through the narrow window.

Something is wrong today, I feel weird and disappointed. Are they maybe all waiting for me? Why was the door locked then? I have so many questions.

I jog towards the crowd and start hearing some of the words the priest is saying.

"... And with overwhelming evidence and testimony, we do hereby sentence this... Witch... To burn for her sin of consorting with the Devil himself!"

Oh, they were gathered for a witch trial. I wonder what this one did. God, I hate witches. They're always so ugly and old, and I can't believe they do such bad things against God. I should be able to find a seat near my parents somewhere in the crowd. I approach the back of the crowd and peek through.

... Why is Mother tied up?

I rub my eyes and look again, but it's still my mother. I let out a small note of confusion, and the man I'm standing behind turns to face me. He's not looking me in the eye. Why? He looks disgusted and annoyed. I whisper to him.

"What's wrong?"

He spits to my side.

This feeling in my stomach... It hurts. What's going on?

"Um! Why is my mother tied up?"

I speak up, the crowd opens to face me. I see my father. He looks scared, and like I did something wrong. What did I do wrong?

The priest looks to my father and smirks. My mother looks up at me in horror. Her hair is messy, did they hurt her?

"I see you're back from your morning scavenging, Mikael. Just in time," Says the priest, in a way that seems like he hates me now. I don't understand. He's a nice man. What did I do? I'm scared.

"Whatever you and your Mother were scheming last night," he continued, eyes narrowing, "you will not get away with."

I step back.

"Father, please help," I plead. My chin is quivering, it's suddenly so cold. Everyone is looking at me, they all hate me now.

"You are not my son, demon."

Why did Father say that?

I'm not his son?

"Indeed, witches only consort with the Devil himself. You are a spawn of pure evil. It will do you no good to hide your true nature now, demon."

I step back again.

What are they going to do?

Please? My friends? My friends hate me now? My uncle, why... Why?

Why?

"Why? Please, I didn't do anything. I don't know anything. Please. Please no. Please..."

My throat is blocked. I'm crying.

"Enough talk! Apprehend that man!" The priest barks and everyone begins coming towards me.

I have to go. I have to go. I don't want to die. I'm not a demon. I'm not. Even if my mother is a witch, I'm not a demon!

I'm running, breathing burns, I can't see properly. The trees! I can go into the trees!

"Kill the bastard!"

"Burn him with the bitch!"

"You lied to us all!"

No. No, that's not true! I didn't! I didn't do anything! I hate this!

Please let me wake up! I don't want to do this any more!

I'm between the trees and I keep running. I can still hear them shouting. I have to keep going.

I have to run. I can't think.

Breathe. Breathe. My feet burn.

Why is this happening, God? Why?

There's a clearing—wait, that's the lake. Maybe I can swim across?

I reach the clearing. My eyes widen. There's something sleeping there. Oh my God. What is that creature? It has horns! Hooves for legs! Claws!

"M-Monster!" I cry out without thinking.

Wait, no. No time, they're still chasing me, I have t—

1