Chapter 5: The Fists That Never Rested
190 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Shield's out!" Zek yelled after the dog monster clawed at his chest, removing the greenish glow around his body.

Nisa took a step forward, touched him in the back with her left palm and stepped back in one smooth, almost trained movement. "Shit Zek, last a little longer!" she cried breathlessly as the gentle greenish glow reformed around Zek's body.

Feeling safe that the barrier protecting his body had returned, Zek stepped forward and delivered a series of punches on the dog monster's chest and arm. "I would if you'd strip," Zek laughed as he launched a hard upper cut on the monster's jaw before delivering a downward kick on the monster's left knee.

"What's THAT supposed to mean?!!!"

Zek laughed again, but his laughter was accompanied by very hard breathing. In reality, laughing was pretty much the only thing he could do now. Ten minutes ago, he could bash the head of these monsters open easily with just his fists. But now, after beating to death four of the huge monsters, he was on his last leg. His breathing was ragged, his stamina was nearly gone, his whole body ached and even his punches were getting weaker.

Had it not been for Nisa, he would've already died. He didn't know how it was possible, but Nisa was able to create some kind of barrier that protected things from being broken. Thanks to Nisa's barrier, he was able to escape certain deaths and allowed him to focus on beating down the monsters. Her barrier or shield or whatever you'd call it was able to greatly reduce not only external impact, but also the momentum from such an impact. So while he could feel that he was being punched or clawed, the energy from such impact didn't transfer to his body. He wasn't a gamer, but from the limited experience playing MMORPGs, he assumed her power must be something like a 'positive buff'.

Unfortunately, Nisa couldn't keep buffing him alone as the other dog monsters were starting to bash the barricade made of overturned tables and chairs that protected the other survivors. Just like him, the barricade wouldn't have lasted long under the monsters constant attacks. Nisa's barrier in essence nullified their attacks so that the hastily assembled barrier wouldn't break in just a few bashes from their large fists and claws. But it was a large structure that she was maintaining alone using only her barriers.

The other survivors, a bunch of terrified and traumatized 6th Formers couldn't be depended at all. He had wanted to ask them to help reinforce the original barricade, but seeing how they couldn't even stand from the terror of watching their own friends slaughtered, he changed his mind and asked Nisa to reinforce it by herself while he took the pressure off her by taking on the monsters. Frankly he would have just hightailed it out of there had Nisa not been there, but he vowed to protect her, and protect her he will. He couldn't care less about the terrified 6th Formers.

Through blurry eyes, Zek took a quick glance at Nisa. He could see her body swaying left and right and her face looked sickly pale in comparison to her usually rosy complexion. He could clearly see that just like him, she was already at her limit. He needed to break out of this situation, but he had no idea how. He thought he should've just taken her and run earlier, but frankly, the thought didn't cross his mind.

As he took another glance, he saw Nisa fell to her knees.

"Nisa!" This distraction proved disastrous as the dog-headed creature wasted no time making a swipe at Zek's head with its whole strength. Zek could only barely see the claw moving at him from the corner of his eye.

"Zek, duck!" A voice yelled a warning at Zek.

For some reason, Zek simply did as told without thinking about it or turning his head. He was surprised to feel the brush of wind against his hair from the monster's paw flying past over his head. Had he acted a second later, that claw could've cut open his head. On the other hand, due to the creature using its entire strength on that last swipe, it lost its balance and fell on the floor. Zek took advantage of that momentary opening by delivering a karate chop against the back of the creature's neck, effectively breaking it's neck with his superior strength.

"Left arm!" Zek heard the voice again.

He quickly jumped backward towards the single clearance that led to the only entrance to the survivors in the kitchen and landed on his butt on the floor as a result to losing his balance. Due to his quick response, he was able to completely avoid another monster's kick. As he stood back on his feet and reformed his stance, the door on the other side of the wall opened and a figure rushed in, followed by two more larger figures.

He thought they were the monster's reinforcement, and prepared himself for having to fight to the death. As he clenched and unclenched his fists, his blurry vision momentarily sharpened and he could see that one of them was none other than Carl, Maya's little brother. His spirit rose a little, knowing that he didn't have to fight alone anymore.

He had seen Carl in action back when Carl was still in the Silat Club. Back then Carl was an impulsive and very impatient young man. He had good reflexes but his impatience always caused him to be lured in by the opponent's provocation. Carl was only in the Silat Club for two months, but everyone could see his potential. Knowing the nature of Police Cadet that Carl joined, Zek was sure that Carl had to practice silat anyway, except that they would have taught the more rough and violent version of police silat instead.

Zek knew he could rely on Carl. Even if Carl couldn't beat them, he could at least distract them enough to allow him to focus on just one of the monsters at a time. Now with a partner to fight together, Zek felt like he gained his second wind. His muscles felt stretchier, his arms stronger and his blurry vision sharpened. He didn't know how long this moment would last, but he didn't want to waste it.

He inhaled and exhaled. Inhaled and exhaled. And he did it again and again, using the distraction Carl provided to normalize his breathing for the first time since half an hour ago. As he inhaled for the sixth time, he felt a hand on his back and a warmth that felt familiar to him now returned. The greenish glow around his body became a deeper green.

"Go beat them up," Nisa whispered behind him.

Zek grinned. Without looking behind him at the girl he has had a crush on for years, he tightened his fists until he could feel all the weakness disperse away. He took a step towards one of the creatures left and jumped with his right fist raised before bringing it forward against the creature's face. And so Zek's rampage started again.

 

Oya! It's the new chapter! Come on guys, say something. Ai-chan feels lonely. So lonely. Now has nobody. All on your own.... Hoooo, it is so lonely!

4