Chapter 8: Massacre, By Toccata And Fugue In D Minor
147 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Carl, wait," Nisa said as she turned to the Sixth Formers." We need to go, do you guys want to come along?"

Fuck no! Carl wanted to object to this obvious waste of time.

“Let her do this,” Zek said as if he could hear Carl's thoughts.

Zek stood up from the chair. He stretched his arms, then his legs, and then his neck. With each snap of his muscles, he felt a little more refreshed, a little more limber. Unlike Carl, his body didn’t feel tired from the fight earlier, just a little bit heavier and stiffer.

Carl had half a mind to just leave. Helping Zek and Nisa fulfilled a purpose, he had no interest in taking part in another massive delay and waste precious time. Every second they wasted put more Maya in more danger. They knew how fast and strong those monsters were, how could Maya live if they found her?

One of the Sixth Former boys whose delightfully long 70s sideburns obviously broke school regulations replied while wiping the blood from his face. "Thank you for the offer. But you will undoubtedly end up fighting those monsters again, won't you?"

"Yes, there are a lot more of them outside," Carl confirmed, hoping that he wouldn’t have to serve as their security escort.

"Then we will just get in your way,” the boy said, which delighted Carl a little, though Carl tried not to show it on his face. 

“Don't worry about us,” the boy continued, “There's a cellar under the kitchen. We'll hide there until help comes."

"Alright, don't come out. We'll come back for you when it's safe," Nisa said as she watched them go into the kitchen.

"Thanks. Go, be careful out there."

Nisa took a deep breath and turned to both of them. "Alright, what’s the plan?"

"I didn't expect you'd want to come with me. After what happened," Carl said as he tightened his grip on the carving knife he wrested from the hands of the dead cook earlier.

Zek smiled as he continued his stretches. "Well, you saved our hides. It's the least we could do."

"Besides, Maya is my best friend.” Nisa stepped to the washbasin two meters away from her and washed the blood off her face before continuing, “She doesn't have the ring, right?"

Carl shook his head. "No, I don't think she has it."

"Then she won't be able to defend herself. Let's go," Nisa said as she wiped her face dry.

Just as they exited the canteen, they came face to face with five more dog-headed monsters that looked equally startled to see them. Instead of stopping to fight the trio, the dog-headed monsters whose faces were a mixture of shock and fear, simply jumped the hedges beside them instead of fighting them for meat.

“Oh no, you don’t,” a sweet and playful voice came from behind as the sound of violin reverberated in the air.

At the same time as three high notes were heard, three of the dogheads' head flew off without anything touching them. At the sound of C Sharp, the other two lost their legs. As they tried to crawl away on their hands, another high note decapitated both their heads on the ground.

The surreal situation was only made more surreal by the smiling and giggling girl holding a violin. She was coming forward from the direction of the football field, where these five monsters originally came from. The girl held up her right hand that was holding the bow above her eyes as if to shield it from the sun while she surveyed the damage. Her eyes locked onto the five bodies on the ground one after another and her smile went wider.

“Nineteen! I’m definitely in the lead now. Take that, Nana!”

The trio was struck speechless at the sight before them. Standing before them was a sweet-looking girl whose clearly dyed bluish hair went past her shoulders. She was holding a violin in her left hand with its bow in her right. Her every movement showed a certain rhythm betraying her skills in musical instruments, which was lost to Carl because he didn't understand music.

“Oh hello! Sorry for the mess, I didn’t expect they would try to run,” she giggled as she noticed them. “Oh aren’t you Carl? Glad to see you’re alive!”

“Do I know you?” Carl asked before he realized that he probably sounded rude to this girl who could decapitate dogheads in just seconds.

“Oh dear, you don’t even know we’re classmates? I was just a few steps behind you at the assembly in the main hall. I tried to talk to you earlier, remember? Well, I guess the rumours are true after all.”

“What rumour?”

“That you hate musicians because you’re tone deaf?”

“Oy, why are people talking about me being tone-deaf?”

She giggled at Carl’s horrified expression before she put the violin at her neck and played a tune. All three of them turned around at the sound of choking and realized that another dog-headed monster was decapitated just a meter behind them. However, the cut was shallow and the monster was able to lash out at Nisa with its left hand. It didn’t hit its intended target as Zek caught the arm with his right hand before he delivered three quick punches at the monster’s face with his left, snapping it spine at the neck and made its head fly.

The girl clapped as she watched the short battle. “Ooh, nice! Is that your power, senior? You just ripped into that guy.”

“Ah! I have enhanced strength.”

“So nice! I’d love to rip up those monsters with my bare hands. Well anyway, my name is Julia Jamaludin, violinist extraordinaire. Don’t forget my name again, Carl. See ya!”

“Wait,” Carl wanted to ask her to join them. He was a bit afraid of her, but having another fighter, a crowd control fighter at that, would be very helpful. He was afraid there would be many more of the monsters ahead.

“No time to wait. I’m competing with Nana Baharudin, trying to see who can kill more monsters, you see!”

“No please, I’m sure you will come across even more where we’re going,” Carl actually wasn’t sure, but having her along would definitely be safer.

“Where are you going?” Julia asked as she stayed her feet.

“B Block, first floor,” Carl said, repeating Nisa from earlier. He didn’t know if Maya would be there, but it was a good place to start.

“Oh nononono. There’s a really scary senior at B Block and I don’t want to take her prey. Good luck!” she said as she charged towards the parking lot with a violin in hand.

“Scary senior? If the person who can kill that many dogheads in such short amount of time called that person a scary senior, that senior must be scarier than the monsters,” Zek remarked as he watched the bubbly musician took off.

“I suddenly feel like I don’t want to go on anymore,” Nisa said as both her hands clutched her stomach.

 

Ai-chan isn't a violinist. So if Ai-chan got things wrong with the violin, please do rip into the cake! As always, your comments matter. *runs away*

1