Chapter 69 – Fox
383 10 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 69Fox.

The mountains that separated the kingdom of Avaraline and the Empire of Nine Citadels were a sight to behold. Majestic and awe inspiring, they were probably the tallest mountains in the entirety of the Innerlands, their peaks always wreathed in cloud, storms the norm. The mountains of the Empire were nothing to scoff at, but there was no mistaking which ones rose higher. Thick forests of trees that she had never seen anywhere else nestled up against the southern side, giving way to equally foreign dense shrubs and patchy grass, then just a rocky face before the snow line took over, painting the slopes in a pure white, at heights where Ueana was certain that nothing survived. Nothing normal at least. Pockets of valleys were scattered through out the range, small patches of fertile lands hiding secrets away from all bar those that made their home there, if there were any. She’d heard the occasional tale of the wonders that had been found by those that had ventured within, but most were fancy rather than truth. Finding someone who had actually been there was near impossible. The environment outside of the valleys was harsh, even with the aid of personal magic, and for all those that had a story, it turned out that it was second hand, or third. If you were actually the one living there, you probably didn’t want others to intrude.

Technically, the mountains were the still the domain of Avaraline, not that they really lay claim to it. The kingdoms had historically been at peace, and Avaraline was fertile enough that there were so many more places for them to occupy, which they had. Something that they were blessed with way above all of the other kingdoms, even if they did see some regions of it as rather uninviting. A rather privileged view. They had the largest landmass, and probably the largest population as well, though by how much she wasn’t that sure. She had never paid that much attention when it had been talked about, the knowledge of little interest to her. As a whole the mountain range was referred to as the Basat Line, though it was split into three segments, with two passes going through them, equally spaced from the western and eastern edges of the border. There was no way that any normal dragon familiar could fly over the peaks, so just like all other travellers, they would be going through one of the passes. There were even small settlements at either end of the passes, catering for those that travelled through them.

Given that, they had headed north-east from the capital when they had finally left a week later. Both passes were about the same distance from the capital, but the roost that they were returning to was closer to that one. Lady Knight Asher hadn’t actually said to the queen that they would leave straight away, instead delaying and making some not too discrete enquiries about the events of that night. She wasn’t able to learn much more, as it did indeed turn out that everyone else was either asleep, or like the guard at the palace entrance, had fallen asleep due to the mana density.

That of course appeared to make Asher more suspicious of Ueana and Fleur, and they were pulled aside for questioning. Having already talked about it before hand, they stuck to the story that they had started and the queen had eluded to. Saying otherwise could have its own repercussions, and they were both certain that the queen had her own reasons for backing them up. Fleur had stuck beside her for the remainder of their time at the capital, even inviting herself into Ueana’s bed at night. Perhaps it was her way of saying that she wanted more from their relationship, and that Ueana owed her for backing her up, but Ueana couldn’t see any reason to push her away. Right now, given the circumstances, she needed someone who she could trust, and she was her friend after all. Perhaps, given what they’d just gone through, she should reevaluate what they had between them.

She is a nice girl, and she really does have a thing for you. She’d make a suitable mate.

Ueana rolled her eyes. Callisto seemed to support it as well, though why, as an aspect of her magic, it thought of things in an animalistic way, mystified her. Not to mention that they were both girls, though granted she wouldn’t ever consider a man in the first place anyway. She was also still getting used to the fact that her familiar could talk to her, trying not to start every time that he did. The communication felt natural, like it should have always been that way, it was just going to take some time. She was however very much grateful for the change, Callisto becoming more of the companion that he had always been. The why of it of course eluded her, but that was just one thing among many from that night. There was more going on, the changes wrought by her decision still otherwise unknown to her, even though her instinct was telling her that things had definitely changed.

Departure hadn’t been quite straight forward either. Given the length of the trip, and that there was no guarantee that they’d be stopping in towns along the way, they’d had to attach saddlebags to the dragons. Which the familiars did not like. Dragon Familiar were not beasts of burden, and they were more than happy to make that fact known. Which is why most riders travelled light. When push came to shove, such as when they had left in the first place, and now on their return trip, the familiars would eventually accept the straps and load, the familiars giving the air that this had better be the last time. Bonebreaker was probably the best behaved out of the lot, probably because of Lady Knight Asher’s stern disposition, as the rider themselves was the one responsible for attaching the saddlebags to their familiar. There was no way that anyone else would even have a hope of being able to do so. Callisto had only physically made a little more fuss than Bonebreaker, due to the rest of his complaining being vocally made directly to Ueana. For a given definition of vocally of course.

They are hideously uncomfortable. You should try wearing them.’

Ueana chuckled at that. She would have quite happily forgone them as well, as they made riding Callisto a little more uncomfortable, but she had to do her bit as well. At least she didn’t have to worry about the senator. While he could probably fit behind her on Callisto, there was no way she wanted him that close to her. The chance of him groping her was too high, especially given his reputation. On Bonebreaker at least, with the saddlebags, Lady Knight Asher would have some space between the two of them, and even with her attitude, she did actually care about those underneath her. They hadn’t had much choice in bringing him along, the council unwilling to have the delegation consisting of just dragon riders, especially as they were all from the one nest. Even if they were the ones who could travel the easiest and fastest, they weren’t the sole ones with influence in the empire. The senator should count himself lucky that he got to ride on a familiar at all. Riders were warriors, not chauffeurs.

By mid morning they were finally off.

A smaller mountain range sat directly north of the capital, the road snaking its way around both sides of it on the way to the passes. There were a couple of towns before the pass along the route that they were following, but as to if they would actually stop at them was a different story. On the trip down Lady Knight Asher just had them camping out, trying to cover as much distance as possible each day. It was her thing after all. Asher spent a lot of time outdoors when she wasn’t doing things for the clan’s council, so she was completely in her element, and while the rest of them had been using tents, Asher had been sleeping out in the open, nestled against her familiar. Ueana had been a little jealous at the ease of which Asher had done that, and how well she had apparently slept. Mind you, Bonebreaker was almost twice the size of Callisto, so they had that advantage. But still, snuggling up against her dragon had an appeal to it. Now if it was snuggling up against a certain dragon, that would certainly be something. Ueana shook her head. While she could dream, that particular thought path was a dead end. They were taken after all.

And you have Fleur.’ Callisto didn’t seem to want to give up on that it appeared. But her familiar was right.

The fields of crops outside the capital quickly turned to grassy plains once they had flown far enough, the road cutting straight through the middle of them. They flew over a couple of small forests and one of the towns bordering the road, before hitting the mountain range and flying alongside its lower border. While night hadn’t quite fallen, Lady Knight Asher called a halt to their journey once they were on the northern edge of the mountains, landing out of sight of the road in a somewhat open section on the lower slope, not too far from a stream that wound its way down from the higher slopes, a small waterfall just below where they set up their camp, its sound rather relaxing. Tents were quickly set up and food consumed, cold as usual, Senator Carlos making his usual fuss about the barbaric nature of having to camp out, the rest of them ignoring his complaints. The senator was the first to retire, disappearing into his tent as the shadows lengthened and the sun disappeared from view, a half moon hanging in the sky overhead having been present from late afternoon.

The following day was more of the same, the weather hot and calm, the sun beating down on them as they raced along in view of the road as it wound its way though the plain and through another forest. The plains were somewhat drier on the other side of the forest, the grass tending towards a brownish green rather than the lush green that it had been, short and hardy as the plains rose into rolling hills. Small pockets of tress and scrubby bushed dotted the sides of some, while others were blanketed with gorse. Pretty yellow flowers that hid a thorny bush that only got even more painful when the plant died. Apparently you only found it in the vicinity of the Basat Line.

Lady Knight Asher had them stop around the middle of the day, landing beside a stream in one of the many shallow valleys between the hills, the crystal clear water lazily flowing over rocks as it weaved its way towards the plains to the east. While there were plenty of small freshwater fish swimming in the deeper parts of the stream, it was still their packed fare for lunch. The senators of course was of a slightly higher quality, not that he seemed to appreciate it and made his usual fuss. Perhaps it was some form of rite for him, or a need or impulse that ruled how he acted.

What really happened?”

Ueana almost dropped her food as Coorie walked up to them, sitting down beside them, legs crossed, her pretty face staring directly at Ueana. Ueana and Fleur had sat a little way away from the others, their backs against Callisto, as they’d already eaten their food. Rather close, Fleur snuggling right up against her.

Huh?” Ueana gave Coorie her best confused look.

Coorie motioned at them. “I know you two are a thing, but you weren’t openly this close before.”

Relationships are allowed to progress,” Ueana said, trying for a defensive air. Fleur quite happily took the prompt, leaning in and wrapping her arms around Ueana’s waist.

Coorie rolled her eyes. “Sure, if you say so. While those girls were definitely hot and I’m sure you both needed release, there’s more to it than that.” She then gave Ueana a measured stare. “Only the two of you were up when the Ancient’s moved. I don’t know about Lady Knight Asher and the others, especially given how they reacted, but it wasn’t that I didn’t wake up when it happened. It was that I couldn’t wake up. I felt it in my dreams, but I wasn’t able to pull myself from them.”

Oh.”

So...”

We were already awake at the time, outside, enjoying the night air...”

Sure, call it that if it makes you feel better,” Coorie said with a sigh.

It’s true!” Fleur blurted out, releasing her arms and straightening herself. “We got interrupted before we’d even managed to start.” She then blushed at the realisation of what she’d just said.

Coorie gave then another disbelieving look. “And then you raced towards the palace, but didn’t make it before it was over.”

Ueana nodded.

Coorie shook her head. “I may have been stuck, but I could still feel the flow of time. It went on for much longer than that, and you are both at least as sensitive to the movements as I am.”

Dream time often flows differently,” Ueana pointed out. She was getting concerned though. Coorie was being rather perceptive. A little too much so. “What is it that you think actually happened then?”

I don’t know, otherwise I wouldn’t be asking, would I.” Coorie’s face went dead serious, a look that was still quite pretty on her. “You’re no longer the same as what you were Ueana.”

What? Huh? How?” Ueana was genuinely surprised at that accusation. Well, in particular that someone else had noticed. The only change that she was aware of was that Callisto was now able to talk directly with her, and that wasn’t a physical change. Everything else was beyond her, and it would be rather inconvenient if someone else worked out what was happening to her before she did, especially if it impacted the story that they were precariously balancing on.

Your magic. What you are. Surely you can sense the magic of others, given that you can feel the movements. Though of course you wouldn’t be able to sense your own. You feel like a rider, but yet, at the same time, not.”

Oh.” Ueana stared down at her hands. She didn’t know what to make of that, but yet, it also felt right.

Perhaps I am mistaken, and nothing else really did happen. But somehow, I think that something did. You, and you alone, carry the mark of the deep dragons on you, and I doubt that that occurred by accident. The Ancients touched you.

Ueana couldn’t help but smile at that, even though at the same time it also terrified her.

Have you told Asher?” Fleur asked.

Coorie shrugged. “I’m sure she’s noticed for herself, given that she is a lattice soul and all.”

The mana was incredibly dense,” Ueana said, looking back up at Coorie. “It felt like we were wading through water just getting up to the palace gates, and the guard there had been rendered unconscious by it, even though he was a Feral. Perhaps that is part of it?”

Perhaps...” Coorie gave her a measured look. “Did anything talk to you?”

It was Ueana’s turn to roll her eyes. “If I said that I’d been hearing voices you’d think me crazy.” Except that of course she had, but even Fleur hadn’t believed her when she’d told her that Callisto was talking to her.

True. But I’ve seen enough to make me question everything now.Coorie stood up. “I have no intention of selling you out. You have your reasons. But others will notice, and more questions will be asked. Some may even fear.

She’s helping you, in her own way.’ Ueana knew that Callisto was probably right there.

Get ready to leave you lot,” shouted Lady Knight Asher from somewhere behind them.

Another time then I guess,” Coorie said with a sigh as she looked over towards the Lady Knight. “The Senator seems to be being his usual self. We should just have him walk back,” she added with a grin. Ueana nodded at that.

Coorie then looked back at them. “This whole thing with the Ancients is big. I know we’re not that close, but we’re still all involved in it one way or another. Please, let me know what really transpired.” She then headed back towards her familiar, her walk deliberate and suggestive.

Have the deep dragons had more of an impact on us that we’ve realised?” Ueana mused out loud as she stood up.

Maybe?” Fleur gave a shrug as she also stood.

Ueana looked into Fleur’s eyes, her green eyes sparkling in the sun. There was tenderness in them, care, and genuine desire.

It... gave me a choice...” Ueana said quietly. “To forge ahead or not. Doing so would cause changes. Not doing so would mean that I’d never see them again. What it was, or what the changes would be, I knew not then nor really do now. But it seems like it’s left a mark on me.

Fleur stepped close, and gave her a reassuring hug.

And Callisto really is talking to me,” Ueana added in a whisper. “He keeps insisting that you’re perfect to be my mate whenever the opportunity arises.”

Fleur was blushing furiously when they separated. “Of course I am,” she said, matter of factly.

Ueana grinned at that, and gave her a quick kiss, which Fleur seemed all to happy to receive.


By early evening they had reached the mountain pass, the familiars flying over the village there at height and heading in. They weren’t going to be able to clear the entirety of the pass before it got too dark for them to fly safely. The clouds and the mountains themselves reduced visibility significantly once the sun had disappeared behind them, and adding the darkness of the night in on top of that meant that they ran a greater risk of impacting with the curving walls of the pass. And of course the dragons and riders also need to rest, which is what night time was naturally for. As expected Lady Knight Asher had a location in mind for them to camp for the night and it wouldn’t take them long to reach it. They had camped in the pass on the trip down as well, but at the northern end rather than the southern. Asher just had a thing about towns. Mind you, given the size of their familiars, it wasn’t really a surprise.

They landed on a plateau that was set back quite a ways from the road of the pass and about twice her dragons height above it, a dense band of trees on the mountainside behind it and below it. A small stream trickled across the middle of it, and a small cluster of extinguished firepits were off near the southern edge. It obviously got some use by those who could reach it. Camp was set up as per usual, food consumed while there was still enough light, and then everyone retired to their respective tents, Ueana and Fleur making no effort to hide that they were sharing the same tent. In it’s own way flying was tiring, even for the rider, especially when you were doing it for the bulk of the day, and Ueana couldn’t stop herself from falling quickly to sleep, intertwined with Fleur.

Ueana woke to something niggling at the back of her consciousness. Her dreams had been pleasant, the deep dragons featuring prominently in them, and she hadn’t wanted them to end. But she had been forced out them anyway, almost like someone had forcibly ripped them away from her, leaving them just out of her reach. It didn’t feel anything like the movements of the Ancients, but yet there was something familiar about it all.

She sighed, opening her eyes as she took in her surroundings. It was still dark outside as far as she could tell, the dull glow of moonlight visible through the entrance slit of the tent. She was still entangled up with Fleur, who was deep asleep, her breathing regular and warm, with the occasional murmuring about wanting more of something.

The camp sounded quiet, a light breeze flowing through it, and everything seemed to be as it should be. Nothing appeared to be amiss, so why had she woken?

Ueana was about to close her eyes and attempt sleep again when a muffled pained yelp cut through the silence, startling her, followed by some cursing, and then a sad whimper.

It’s coming from the direction of the senator’s tent,’ Callisto informed her as she extracted herself from Fleur as quickly as she could, Fleur apparently remaining oblivious to all of her movements. The voice certainly sounded male, and he was the only one in the group at the moment.

‘Has anyone else woken?’ she tried thinking in Callisto’s direction. She was still getting used to this whole communication thing.

Apart from Bonebreaker it doesn’t seem so.’ Callisto looked at her as she scrambled out of the tent, summoning her armour as she stood. Both her familiar and Lily were encircling their tent, though Fleur’s familiar appeared to still be asleep. She could see the moon from here, hanging near its zenith well above the mountains. If it was just the senator, then she couldn’t care less what happened to him, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that this was why she had woken. That niggling was still there.

Slipping past the familiars, she quickly made her way over to the senator’s tent, which sat a little way back from the edge of the plateau, the other three tents loosely surrounding it at distance. A vague show of offering protection to him should anything foolishly decide to attack their camp. Not that anything ever had. The flap of the tent looked to have been hastily thrown open, and she could see some movement on its other side, near the edge.

“Die, you evil beast!” Ueana circled around the tent to find the senator standing there, looking very much not awake, a twisted garment in one hand and a drawn short sword in the other, both of which he was flailing around.

Up against the edge of the plateau, whimpering quietly and with a number of visible cuts glistening on its body, was the cutest little fox cub that Ueana had ever seen. It’s big eyes stared at the senator in fear as it inched a little backwards, hunched down, its paws attempting to keep purchase on the slippery edge.

She didn’t even hesitate.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Ueana snapped at the senator as she dashed towards the edge, blocking his sword with her arm on the way past, throwing him off balance. She snatched the fox cub up into her arms, cradling it carefully as she stepped around and turned, glaring at him.

“It’s a monster!” the senator exclaimed, though there was uncertainty in his voice. His arms hung limply at his side.

“Really?” she stated back at him. “You believe that our dragons somehow missed a threat entering the camp? That they can’t recognise what a monster is?” She gave the cub a scritch between it’s ears as it snuggled down into her arms.

“It attacked me...”

“Go back to bed,” Ueana commanded him. “You of all people need your beauty sleep.” She shook her head as she left him and made her way back to her tent.

What’s it even doing here?’ Callisto queried, looking at the cub. He had a point. Foxes tended to avoid people, especially familiars. Yet now that it was in her arms, this one was showing no fear at all, as if it was a child in its mothers embrace.

‘You didn’t see it come in at all?’ Ueana thought in Callisto’s direction.

No.’

Odd. But then again, it didn’t seem like it was much of a threat at all. She had no idea what had gotten into the senator. She gave it a pat, the fox cub looking like it was quite settled in her arms now, its breathing regular and its eyes closed. It’s fur was soft, and it smelled quite pleasant, it’s two tails wrapped around its body.

Ueana paused in her thoughts.

Foxes didn’t have two tails.

What then was it?

Not much to say outside what the chapter itself has already said. ^^

Quite a bit more description that usual, fleshing out the northern area of Avaraline. I do have maps that reflects all of this (mostly) but they are hand drawn and both WIP. I have considered trying to make a more professional one, but I might leave that till I have some areas even more fleshed out.

As always, thanks for reading, and feel free to comment. It is always good to hear peoples thoughts.

The next chapter (70 - Side Quest) will be out in the next few days.

I'm sure it doesn't need any recommendations, with it's readership being quite high, but I have been reading and thoroughly enjoying https://www.scribblehub.com/series/232107/princess-fox/. If you like enjoyable comedic trans superhero stories it's definitely worth a read :)

18