Chapter 78 – Trust
448 14 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
And here is the final chapter of arc 4.5. Enjoy :)

Chapter 78Trust.

I believe you three owe me an explanation.”

Ueana was only half listening, her eyes still on the collapsed form of Madison. The second dead rider in such a short space of time, this time one of their own. Even if she had been a complete bitch and had tried to kill her via another, she hadn’t wanted her to die. Especially as it had meant the death of her familiar as well.

Wasn’t there any other way?” Her voice cracked, accompanied by more tears.

No.” Asher’s tone was final. “This was the last straw. She’s been involved in more than what you were aware of. Far more. It wouldn’t have been her first appearance before the council either. Unfortunately, with some she has far too much influence.”

Oh.” Ueana looked down at the ground. Was it her fault in the end that it had come to this.

No. It is not. Her choices were her own, right till the very end.’

Asher shaped the earth around the body, forming a coffin of dirt and stone. “You won’t know about it, but other riders have died before. She has always been involved in some way or another, but never directly, and never in a way that we could prove that that was her intent. This time was a first. And the last. So, I ask you again, what happened? What pushed her over the edge.”

Are you going to do the same thing to Armur?” Ueana questioned, wiping tears from her face and looking at the hatchling with concern. Armur was still trapped in the stone cage, slumped against the bars, her face pale.

Is she the reason that you’re avoiding answering my question?”

What? No.” Ueana rapidly waved her hands, dismissing that notion, her body complaining at the effort. “It just that... this has all been rather traumatic.”

Coorie chuckled dryly. “At the very least.”

I guess we’re going to have to tell you everything. But... a lot of it is rather personal, and I’d... we’d prefer that it to not go any further.” Ueana made circles in the floor with her finger, a partial distraction.

Lady Knight Asher looked at the trio, a thoughtful expression on her face. Ueana wasn’t sure about the others, but she was feeling very nervous, and it was likely showing.

It hails back to the movement in Agersdene City, doesn’t it, and includes the one last night as well?”

Ueana nodded.

It involves all three of you as well?”

Ueana nodded again.

I suspect that it’s going to be a rather lengthy tale. Fine, you can tell me en route rather than right now.”

En route? To where?” Ueana asked, looking up in surprise.

Agersdene City of course. Back to see Queen Alysia. Thought that you would have gathered that that is what was going to happen. If it hadn’t been for this mess we’d be on our way. I did come to inform you this morning...”

We thought you’d come because of the movement,” Fleur said quietly.

Asher gave them a knowing grin. “That as well.”

We’re all coming?” Coorie asked. “We won’t if not.”

Asher turned, ignoring them as she stared back at the coffin that she’d made for Madison. Ueana watched on in nervous amazement as the earth seemed to shift around it, adding layers and layers over it till it formed a smooth dome, small spires rising out of the surface, intertwining into an intricate pattern, a lattice of threads like the veins of wings preparing for flight. More earth then shaped out of that, taking on the shape of a sword plunged into the dome, hilt rising out from the wings. Finally a plaque formed on the front if it, letters rising up on its surface.

Here lies one who betrayed the trust of her sisters,

with no regard for the value of life.

May she find redemption in her next life.

All three of you,” Asher finally confirmed, turning back to them. “No senator this time,” she added.

Good.” Coorie smiled.

What are you going to do with Armur?” Ueana asked again. Armur had been rather silent through all of this, her familiar patiently watching on, both seemingly resigned to their current situation. Ueana had said that she wouldn’t take their lives, but Madison had overstepped again, and paid for it with her life. Ueana could easily see Asher doing the same to Armer without a second thought. She had the reputation as the scariest of the lady knights at Elmer’s Nest, and that was ignoring her sheer power that she had just displayed.

What would you have me do?” Asher’s expression went hard as she stared at Ueana, as if daring her to challenge her. “Your words or not, things are a lot more complicated for her now. She was the one who attacked you after all, and they all saw that. Most will ignore Madison’s involvement in it all, alive or dead, but they won’t do the same for her. And whatever the leverage was that Madison had over Armur is likely going to go sour. For her, death may be the nicest option.”

No.” Ueana stared back, sitting as straight and defiantly as she could, her body screaming in protest. She hadn’t even felt this sore after their brief skirmish with the demon. “You have influence. Save whatever was threatened, and then have Armur come with us.”

Is that wise? She might still try and kill you.”

No, she won’t.” Of that much she was certain. Unless Armur was the most brilliant of actors, which she somehow doubted, woman's intuition and all that, it seemed to her that Armur was as much a victim in all of this as she was. Asher was right though in that things would no longer be the same for Armur in the nest, and that was part of the reason why she wanted her to come along with them. And maybe perhaps because she knew first hand exactly what persecution from ones peers felt like, and she didn’t want Armur to suffer through that. No one should have to. A foolish sentiment perhaps, one that could come back and bite them later, but yet that was her decision.

I’m with Ueana on that one,” Coorie voice in support.

Me too,” added Fleur quietly. “Though if she does try something, there’ll be hell to pay,” she added, the intent clear in her tone. Fleur could be scary at times.

So be it.” Asher walked over to Armur, the cage sinking away as she reached her. Armur stayed seated, even with the restraints gone. “And what did Madison have over you?”

My family are deeply in debt to the Saltlands, and my sisters health has been rapidly declining over the last few weeks. We were out of options.”

Ueana was pretty sure that Asher rolled her eyes. It did seem rather cliche.

Fine. We will get that resolved, but you are going to swear your allegiance to us first and foremost, on whatever bonds those three.”

No, no, don’t do that!” Ueana, Fleur and Coorie all blurted out in alarm at the same time.

What the...?? Don’t do what?” Asher questioned with annoyance.

Swear on our bond,” Ueana answered quickly. “Words... have power.”

Asher raised an eyebrow at that. “That would be even more reason.”

She already suspects something of the truth I think.’

Ueana shook her head. “Then at least wait on that. I want to trust her after all, like we’re going to trust you with our secrets.”

Asher stood, arms crossed, as she looked at them, and then back at Armur. “You owe her your life child. Irrespective of the reasons, you still tried to kill her, and she has continued to show you mercy. Don’t let me regret this.”

Thank you,” Armur replied, relief in her voice, bowing her head down.

Things need to be done, and the day is wasting,” Asher then declared. “Armur, you are with me. You three, collect your stuff and prepare for travel. Then return to Ueana’s new room, and wait. I suggest you get some rest, as you’re going to need it.”


Ueana lay with her back against Callisto, eyes closed, Kitni snuggled up in her lap and snoring happily. She had managed to get back to her dorm well enough, but that was about the extent of it. There was no way that she was going to be able to get the saddlebags on him in her current condition, though she had packed them and dragged them over, wincing at every step. She just needed to rest, and hopefully no one unwanted would make an appearance before the others got back.

They wouldn’t be far off anyway, and Callisto was still a force to be reckoned with.

Damn right I am,’ her familiar confirmed happily.

She had been a fool though. All of the signs had been there that something wasn’t right, but she’d managed to miss them all. It may have been a breach of typical protocol, but she should have reinforced herself fully when it became obvious that Armur outmatched her even more than she had thought, and had just been sizing her up. That way at least she wouldn’t have gotten as hurt, most of the damage that she’d sustained being from Armur’s first real attack.

Perhaps it was time for some serious training. Sure she’d been doing plenty since she’d become a rider, but that gulf was still there, more obvious now than ever. If she wanted to survive, especially if they ran into the demon again, she needed to get better. Much better. There was a lot that Armur could teach her, teach them all, if she was willing. The opportunity was there too now, with her request to have her along. Perhaps they could even be friends.

It was always really nice to be up against Callisto and his warmth.

Wow. Armur’s really done a number on her. I’m surprised it’s not a lot worse.”

Hmm. The voice was vaguely familiar. Had she fallen asleep? She’d only just closed her eyes.

Reinforcement magic a lot more powerful than most people give it credit for. It’s definitely kept her from getting worse.”

That’s right. She hadn’t fully released the magic after the fight, some part of her telling her that she needed to keep it active.

Can you do anything?”

That was Fleur, worrying as always.

Yeah. The rest will be up to her though.”

Ueana felt another source of warmth enter her, spreading through out her body. The warmth of someone blessed by the sun. She opened her eyes to find Sister Taylor leaning over her, her gold tinted bone armour glinting in the sunlight, long sun blond hair flowing down over her shoulders.

Of course it was. She knew she recognized the voice. They’d managed to get the most powerful rider with a light aspect here, instead of one of the healers or nurses. How had they managed to wrangle that though. She tended to only tend to riders who were badly wounded and needed immediate attention, leaving the rest to the students under her.

A question for another time. Ueana closed her eyes again. She was too tired to think, and just wanted to sleep. After all, Callisto had fallen asleep too. It’d be unfair if she couldn’t join him.


You three really are close. Way more so than when I left you at the pass. It almost looks instinctual.”

Ueana awoke with a start, to find Lady Knight Asher standing against the wall near the entrance, looking at her with a grin on her face. Sitting against the opposite wall was Armur, a heavy fur wrapped around her, her head resting in her arms and very much asleep. Snuggled up with Ueana against Callisto and very much entangled were Fleur and Coorie, both still asleep and looking very content, one of Coorie’s blankets draped over them. Seashae and Lily protectively sat on either side of Callisto, and she could make out the forms of Bonebreaker and Armur’s familiar outside on the ledge. The moon was low, the hint of a glow tainting the sky. Which would make it pre dawn.

You could have warned me,’ she moaned to Callisto.

She’s been there all night...’

Oh. Yeah, Asher had said for them to meet at her dorm once they had gotten ready.

Feeling better?” Asher asked.

Ueana stretched, Kitni complaining at being disturbed. She did though. Much better. She still ached, but there was nowhere as much pain as she’d been feeling last she was awake.

Much.”

Good. Get ready to leave.”

Ueana nodded. Prodding the others just enough to wake them, and making sure they were aware that they had company, she extracted herself and checked on her gear. Still where she had left it yesterday, saddlebags included. Not that anyone else would try to put them on Callisto.

They haven’t gotten any less uncomfortable I’ll have you know.’ Ueana smiled at that, and gave Callisto a big hug, well as best as she could manage.

By the time dawn had broken they were all ready to go, Armur included, who just threw the fur into one of her saddlebags and hopped straight on to her dragon without a word.

And then they were off, heading south again.


It wasn’t until they’d cleared the pass that Asher finally brought it up again. Ueana had expected her to ask much earlier, but she had not. In fact she had not said much at all beyond issuing instructions on when to land and depart again, otherwise lost in her thoughts. Ueana hadn’t brought it up of her own accord, happy to wait. She wasn’t sure exactly how Lady Knight Asher was going to take it all after all. Excluding the subterfuge with Queen Alysia, there was a lot of other things that were going to be hard for Asher to believe. Well, talking dragons was the main one, the rest of it perhaps much easier with the physical changes that Ueana had.

It made for a rather subdued journey, the three of them talking to themselves in hushed tones when sitting or snuggled up together against Callisto, and Armur barely saying anything at all. Compared to post fight, when her emotions had been openly painted on her, she was currently quite hard to read. Wrapped up by herself, her face a mask of sadness. Ueana assumed that Asher had managed to get everything sorted with regards to Armur’s family and sick sister, but as to what that actually entailed, she did not know. She was just trusting Asher on that one. At least the weather had gone back to being pleasant again, which Ueana was grateful for. She’d had enough wintery weather in the Basat Line to last her a lifetime.

So, the full story..”

Ueana looked up at Asher, the lady knight and Armur both sitting down beside her, Coorie and Fleur. It was still the middle of the day, their familiars resting in the sun beside the rivers edge, quite content. At least according to Callisto who had made a point of informing her that it was indeed a nice place to rest for a bit. Like their riders, Callisto, Seashae and Lily now had a habit of relaxing quite close together. The day was still, bees buzzing amongst the multitude of flowers that painted the adjacent fields in rainbows of colours, other insects that Ueana had no idea of the names of adding to the background noise. Pleasant.

Does Armur have any of the context for what we’re about to talk about?” Coorie asked.

Yes, I’ve told her about the deep dragons and what they said,” Asher answered, Armur nodding in confirmation.

Good. That’s where I’ll start then.” Ueana said as Kitni made herself comfortable in her lap.

She talked about everything, as she had said that she would, not skipping out on any details this time, well apart from some of the more sexual ones, and it was mid afternoon by the time that they finally wrapped it up. Armur had become more shocked and surprised as the tale went on, while Asher seemed to take it in her stride. Not that there wasn’t a million questions, as there was, the lady knight interrupting frequently to clarify a point or ask for further details on another, Coorie and Fleur also contributing as necessary. It helped though, bringing to the surface aspects that all three of them had forgotten about, and providing first hand accounts for when she’d been asleep. When they talked about the bond, they all summoned the flames on their wrists, Ueana surprised at how bright and intense they were compared to the first time they seen them, not to mention that it now formed a rather beautiful bracelet of flames, instead of just a single flame. Perhaps reflecting the changes to the bond that had recently occurred. The surprise of the change to them all did not escape Lady Knight Asher though.

Asher didn’t blink at all when Ueana went over the first time Callisto had talked to her, just echoing what Coorie had said in that there were going to be many jealous riders about that, saying so again when it was revealed that it was the same for Coorie and Fleur now. Armur did murmur about how nice that would be, Ueana probably the only one that picked up on that with her more sensitive hearing, sadness in her voice. Nor did Asher fault Alysia for withholding what Ueana had done, rather saying that she could understand why. Asher was well aware that Queen Alysia had visions of the future, and that her magic was far more powerful than most people knew.

As to the Basat Line and the difficulties that they had faced within, Asher had ventured inside herself, but the weather had never been as bad for her, nor had she come across any of what they had found. It was almost as if they had been travelling through a different area entirely. Asher did postulate that it could have been partially influenced by the Ancient, given what had transpired. Which made some sense, though that did raise the question of why the Ancient couldn’t be felt at that point, and where else had an Ancient been plying their influence.

Unsurprisingly, the whole bond thing was of particular interest to Asher. It was after all a level of magic well outside and completely different to what the lady knight had access to as a lattice soul, its effects far reaching. The magic of the Ancients, if that was indeed what it was. Very much not understood, and for now, as far as they knew, unique to the three of them.

Bond of power, bond of path, bond of dream. Bond of need, which was now bond of love. Formerly in time, now it was just manifest. It had been Daughter of Pyre, now it was Daughters of Pyre, meaning all three of them now came under that umbrella. That of course raised its own question, as Ueana was the only one who exhibited any physical changes. So far. Asher chuckled at that, saying that it was early days yet. Who knew what would happen there, Fleur stating that she’d love to have fluffy tails and ears like Ueana. There was no doubt in Ueana’s mind that Fleur would look adorable with tails and ears, and quite sexy too. Coorie as well, though Coorie made no comment on the matter. She did absently run her hand through one of Ueana’s tails when Ueana brushed it up against her, a smile on her face. Ueana wasn’t complaining about that either. It wasn’t quite the same as say Coorie’s hands against her bare skin, but it was still nice. Enough to make her purr if she wasn’t careful, or some similar sound.

The bond and all of the associated magic was powerful, there was no doubt about that. Exactly how strong, they’d probably never know. Asher stated that she doubted that anything would happen should Armur swear upon their bond, but they were right to be cautious about it none the less, especially given what had happen when they themselves had sworn on it, and caused the Ancient to move. As if it had been waiting for it to happen. Coorie was dead certain that it in fact had been.

Then of course was the question of how much influence the bond itself was having on them. Not an if, but how much. They of course had no way of knowing, but as far as all three of them were aware, whatever was going on wasn’t affecting them negatively, and they were more than happy with the situation. Including the whole bond of love aspect, which had Armur blushing and shaking her head. Ueana had no idea about her tastes, not that of Asher’s either, but she had no intention of adding anyone else to the bond. It was theirs and theirs alone, as declared in the presence of the Ancient.

As to who the Ancient was?

Fox.

That much was obvious, but Ueana also knew that they hadn’t been the only one present. She’d sensed more than one, including the one who had spoken to her when she’d been in the castle during the mana surge. As to what that one’s name was, she had absolutely no clue. Fleur suggested that it might have something to do with change, but that was about the extent of it, and Change was definitely not it’s name.

Talking about the demon of course brought up bad memories, and more tears, but it had to be said, being the reason for the trip. Mostly for Armur’s sake rather than Asher’s, as she already knew the full tale. Then finally their declaration on the bond, which had caused the final movement that Asher had felt. Ueana asked if it was likely that anyone else at the nest had felt it, to which Asher shrugged. Mostly likely if they had any ability to sense movements at all, given its proximity, but given the lack of immediate response that she was aware of, they hadn’t figured it out. Armur chipped in to say that she had felt something, now that it had been brought to her attention, but it had quickly passed from her awareness at the time.

Am I jealous of what you have gained?” Armur said once they had finished. “Most definitely. I almost feel incomplete now as a rider, unable to talk to my familiar. But, you have been chosen, and earned that power. I do think that is part of what drove Madison, whether she realised it or not.” Armur shook her head. “I do wonder what else is coming for us all though. If there are now such things as deep dragons, and fox riders, what else could there be? The possibilities...” There was a dreamy look on her face.

Thank you,” Asher added. “It has raised just as many questions, but answered some as well. We will be having a lengthy conversation with the Queen I think.”

And,” Asher continued, “as you may have summized, there is still some disagreements amongst the lady knights. They didn’t so much agree to this trip as me telling them that it was happening. Some of them are scared, some selfish. Idiots. Not willing to face change. But I’d already accounted for that when I sent off the reports of the delegation trip to the rest of the nests in the Empire. I bear some responsibility for what has transpired, and I am not going to let anyone treat you three ill.”

It may be an interesting return to the nest though,” Armur murmured. “Especially when they find the burial, and that I am not in the dungeon.”

Asher rolled her eyes. “As I said, idiots.”

That did explain a bit. However, while the lady knights were in theory all equals and peers, more of them were gems that lattice souls, and it was well known that Lady Knight Asher was amongst the more powerful of the riders. Excluding those that had primes, but there were none known in this age.

The remainder of the trip was just as uneventful as the first part, though the atmosphere was at least a bit lighter. Asher was still her stoic serious self, keeping mostly to herself, and deep in thought. There were a few more questions, none of them personal, but there was a limit to what they could work out from what they knew. Armur on the other had was attempting to be friendly and open, spending more time around them, and striking up the odd conversation. Ueana could tell that it was difficult and awkward for her, given that Armur knew that she was the outsider of the group, a definitive thing due to the bond, and that she had tried to kill Ueana, but she was still trying. And Ueana appreciated that, especially since it was difficult for them too. Even though she had openly said that she didn’t blame Armur, she was still somewhat nervous when she was close, her instincts going into a defensive mode. Armur also felt somewhat distant to her, Asher as well, because of the bond. She was certain that it was the same way for Coorie and Fleur as well. There was just something about the nature of the magic that made Fleur and Coorie feel that much closer and part of her life, and yet shunted any other people further outside of it. Something that she hadn’t picked up on before, but now she was very much aware of.

Something that they’d have to work on. They wouldn’t be, and couldn’t be, isolated. Other people were part of their life after all, and on this trip, especially due to the circumstances and what they had shared with them, they couldn’t afford to hold them at arms length. Easier said than done though.

Worth all of the effort though. They are strong allies.’

Callisto was right on point there. At least he wasn’t trying to convince her that Armur would make for another suitable mate or anything.

She’s not interested in you that way. She doesn’t look at you the same way that your lovers do.’

That was actually reassuring. She didn’t want any more of that kind of attention from anyone else.


They were only an hour out from the capital of Avaraline when it hit.

A wave of magic flowing across the kingdom. Across the entirety of the world. A pulse. Visible, thick, drenched with power. The magic of change.

Knocking them back, taking on an aspect of them as it flowed through them. And slamming that aspect into Asher and Armur.

There was no mistaking what it was, and what had caused it.

The Dawn Angel had returned.

[arc 4.5 end]

So concludes Ueana's arc, which ended up a lot larger than I had originally anticipated. But I enjoyed writing it, and I am quite fond of Ueana as a character (and she has art coming too ^^). She is important to the plot, as you can probably tell, and she will be back again (probably sharing arcs with Crystal and Racheal, rather than separate, but we shall see).

The timeline is all caught up now (roughly), but now of course there is the question...

What on earth actually happened...

Thanks for reading. Comments are always welcome.

It'll be a little while before I make the next post, but hopefully not too long (something in the order of a couple of months I suspect, though I do want to post the art when it's done. Nothing set in stone of course).

18