Chapter 87 – Audience
304 10 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 87Audience.

Ueana leapt off to the side, transitioning into a clumsy roll with her tails held as close to her as she could, swords held away from her, lightning searing the spot where she had just been standing. It was a bad choice, her shoulders taking far too much impact and the strain on her wrists noticeable. Scrambling to her feet, she brought the blades to bear in the nick of time, deflecting the lightning enhanced blade, only for Armur’s kick to send her staggering backwards, her hands feeling numb from the energy that had coursed down her blade. Pushing magic into her hands, she managed to disperse most of the numbness as she dashed in at Armur.

Only to have to swerve off to the side as Armur sliced into her path, the energy on the riders blade intensify and threatening to discharge directly into her.

And then Armur was right in front of her, fist aimed directly at her mid section.

Ueana panicked, unwanted memories surfacing as she tried to twist out of the way, her tails suddenly throwing her off balance. Armur’s blow connected, Ueana unceremoniously meeting with the ground.

“What are you doing!” growled Armur, taking a step back. “Work with your flow, not against. And cycle your weapon!”

Ueana picked herself up, dismissing her blades, grimacing. She ached, even though she was reinforcing herself. Granted she wasn’t doing it to its fullest, as she kinda burst into flames at that point, all her hair taking on the aspect of flames, tails included, and that was kinda inconvenient at this point, but even so, Armur was really strong. If Armur had been fully reinforced as well, it would likely be even worse. Yes, she had probably performed better during the tussle with the demon, but right now she wasn’t filled with the adrenaline that she was then, the desperation to try and overcome unsurmountable odds.

Dusting the lawn casualties off herself, Ueana stood facing the other rider. “I am trying you know. I just don’t have the natural talent that you have,” she mumbled quietly. Armur’s prowess was somewhat intimidating.

“It’s not just talent,” Armur growled. “It’s been a lot of hard work and dedication.”

Armur sighed. “But yes, I admit that I seem to have a natural affinity for it, which makes it easier, but irrespective you have room for vast improvement. You have an advantage that the rest of us do not. It's not that you don't have a signature weapon, it's that you're not restrained to a signature weapon. Or two. You have unlimited potential there. Adapt what weapon you use to the situation at hand. Use the best for the circumstance, to counter your opponent at that point, and surprise them when they’re getting comfortable. A deadly dance of weapons and movement.”

“I know. You’ve said so before,” Ueana answered sheepishly.

“And I’ll say so again. You asked for help, and I’m more than willing. If the feral Seven Fanged was able to do it with mundane weapons, that means that you can too. But tenfold better! It’s not going to be easy, and you’re going to need to learn to fight in a whole new way.”

“Aren’t they just a legend?”

“Does it matter? You have the toolset to do so, and surpass them, real or not.”

“I guess,” Ueana mumbled. And if anyone was going to be able to teach her, it was Armur. She was more than just talented, and the more that she saw of her prowess, the more certain that Ueana was. Even when Armur was being measured with her actions, you could see it leaking through. Sparring or just going through the motions. Heck, she wouldn’t be surprised if Armur quickly become one of the most powerful fighters in the nest. Well, probably not surpassing Asher, but certainly most of the rest. When it came to fighting, Armur had a drive and dedication that was down right scary. And that was just from observing her since they’d left the nest.

“You can do it Ueana!” Fleur shouted encouragingly from her seat on one side of the fields, legs pulled up close to her chest as she watched them. She had been looking quite tired since the pulse, and had spent most of the time since then sleeping. Today was no exception, but she had insisted that she wanted to come out and watch, especially since Armur had only been awake for less than a day. Coorie was sitting there beside her, legs dainty crossed over each other to her side, back straight, Ueana’s twin tailed fox cub Kitni perched on her lap, watching intently. Her posture perfect for a noble sitting down for an afternoon drink, but looking a bit odd given her dragon bone armour. It was comforting having them all there though. She game them a smile, genuine and full of love.

Ueana looked back at Armur. She was standing there, relaxed, the tip of her blade just touching the ground, looking at her familiar with a smile on her face. It would be a mistake to assume that her weapon wasn’t ready, Armur able to move the summoned blade at speeds that were downright scary. The energy coursing along the blade was far more intense than the time that they had battled at the eggshell, if you could have called it that, and Ueana was sure the pulse was responsible. Armur had looked rather surprised when she had summoned it after all. Not to mention that Ueana knew for a fact that the pulse had effected all of their magic as well.

Not just because she could feel that something inside her and her bondmates had changed, and that her reservoirs felt stronger. But also because Armur was able to talk to her dragon now too. She had looked so happy when she had discovered that, just after walking, ignoring the rest of them entirely for a good half hour as she gushed over and conversed with her familiar. Ueana couldn’t blame her, heck she’d even half expected that it would be like that given Armur’s previous comments on the matter. And her familiar’s name was Lizabeth. Ueana however hadn’t expected that.

Callisto was also nearby, lounging in the sun as her watched her and Armur, flames dancing over his scales in mesmerising patterns. Lily and Seashae were with Bonebreaker, keeping an eye on the lady knight’s familiar. She was certain that Callisto had gotten a little bigger as well, but until she put the saddlebags back on him she would have no way of knowing for sure.

Still hate them,’ he playfully moaned. Well, they’d have to do until they found a better alternative, if there was even such a thing.

“We need to visit the armoury I think,” Armur suddenly stated, snapping Ueana’s attention back to the here and now.

“I think I would have seen all the weapons that they’d have,” Ueana said back. She had after all experimented with quite a few weapons in her quest for her signature weapon.

“Probably, but they’re not fresh in your mind. Perhaps pushed away as not being suitable. Familiarity will help you form then on call. And maybe even give you new ideas.”

Fair enough. Armur had a point there.

“Anyway, let’s try again. But start with a new weapon this time.”

Ueana nodded, trying to decide what she would try and form. For all of the options that were available, she was drawing a blank. She looked back over at Fleur and Coorie and smiled. They believed in her, didn’t they. The bond itself was proof of that. And she did of them too. They belonged together now. She’d become strong enough to protect them, so that they could stay that way, so that no demon would wipe them out like it had to that rider, so that no Madison’s could tear them apart. She’d make them proud, be what a rider should be.

Looking back at Armur, she brought forth her mana, and summoned forth the form that was calling to her the most at that moment, a greatsword wreathed in flames appearing in her hands.

And then Fleur suddenly straightened up, a look of surprise on her face.

“Bonebreaker’s waking up!”

Which would mean that the lady knight wouldn’t be far off either.


Given how tired she still was, Fleur was the one to sit down on the chair beside the lady knight’s bed, after they had moved it down a bit so that no one toppled the vase of flowers that they’d picked and placed on the bedside table for Asher. And all the other things that had somehow ended up clustered there as well, even though Asher hadn’t yet woken and it had been clear when she’d been placed in the room. It seemed to be an unwritten law that things just congregated on surfaces such as that. The one in Ueana’s dorm room had been no exception.

The room smelled pleasant, a hint of lavender and honey just detectable in the air, the sunlight diffused by a sheer green curtain that gave the room a gardeny feel, reinforced by the floral patterns on the walls. A typical ladies room, and not one that really fit the lady knight, but that was what had been assigned, and it more than sufficed. Ueana, Coorie and Armur stood beside Fleur, like sentinels on watch, while Kitni helped herself onto the end of the bed, looking rather pleased, Asher watching them as they entered, very much awake and alert. She had pulled herself into a sitting position, pillows behind her, keeping one of the sheets held against her body. Asher’s armour had faded by the time they had reached the capital, and it appeared that they’d also removed her skeon layer as well.

“Where are we?” Asher asked calmly once they had finished arranging themselves.

“The palace,” Ueana answered. “The queen gave us some rooms here to use.”

“Why not the clan dorms?” Asher instantly queried.

That was a fair question. Even when they had been here on official business for the Empire as part of the delegation they had stayed with the other riders. This time was certainly less important on that scale. But yet here they were.

Ueana looked a bit embarrassed as she formed her answer. “That would partially be my fault. Cause I don't want to face any more riders at the moment. I don’t know how they’ll react, given every thing that has happened.” Madison and the other hatchlings were still fresh and raw in her mind. “And Bonebreaker carried you all the way here, directly to the palace, before he fell asleep himself,” she added. “Queen Alysia didn’t seemed bothered at all.”

“Hmm. Yes, he won’t stop going on about that,” Asher said with an amused smile, before she focused back on Ueana.

“Are you afraid?” she then asked. Ueana could feel Fleur and Coorie stiffen. It was a very blunt question, and frankly unexpected. It wasn’t something that the three of them had talked about at all. But it was a very Asher thing to ask.

“Maybe?” she answered weakly, looking down at the floor, all the strength and determination from the training before just evaporating.

Who was she kidding. Yes. Yes she was. But she didn't want to admit that out loud. She'd faced a demon and survived. She was a rider. A warrior. Someone who shouldn't show fear. She was proud of herself, of her new form, of being a daughter of Pyre. She wanted to be strong and fearless for her bondmates. Her lovers. Be the person that she was sure that they saw her as. And yet.

All that had happened. She could try and bury the pain, but it was still all there. She had made decisions, shown kindness, but that still couldn’t erase the memories of what had transpired. Nor the effect that it had had on her. She could act all fearless, but it was just a facade.

“Madison died... because of me...” Ueana said with a strained voice, Coorie wrapping an arm around her and pulling her close, Fleur giving her a reassuring look. They knew already, didn’t they. Ueana felt ashamed.

“I know,” Asher stated bluntly. “I was the one who killed her. But it as I said then, and again now, it wasn’t your fault. Fear isn’t something to be ashamed of. It’s a natural emotion, and it doesn’t have to be a weakness. It’s how you handle it, react to it, that matters.”

Ueana did know all of that, but some things were much harder in practice.

“You have plenty of support.” Asher continued. “and not just those two,” she said as she nodded to Fleur and Coorie. “Anyway, the important thing is that we did make it here in one piece even with what happened. How long have I been asleep?”

“A week,” Coorie answered, Ueana happy for her to take over. “Almost exactly.”

“Armur?”

“She was also knocked out. Woke up a day ago.”

“But not you three?”

“No.”

“And your familiar can talk to you too?” Asher asked, looking at the other rider.

Armur straightened, and smiled. “Yes. That she can.”

“Do we know if it is universal?”

Coorie shook her head. “No. We don’t think so. It’s all rather strange. Almost convenient. We felt what happened when the pulse hit. It copied part of our bond as it flowed through us and into you. Would you both have still gained that ability had you been flying on our other side? We’ll never know I guess. I did make some discreet enquiries with the riders here, but there was no obvious hints that any of their familiars had awakened. At least not yet. And none of them got knocked out for a week or anything, and they’d be some of the closest to the pulse.”

Asher nodded.

“There may well be other changes, if not from what it copied, but from the pulse itself,” Coorie went on. “Armur’s energy coating appears to have taken on a life of it’s own, more powerful than it has ever been. Ueana’s reinforcement is far more potent, and volatile.”

Armur nodded in confirmation.

“We don’t think any aspects of our bond has transferred though,” Ueana added. “We’re pretty certain that we would be able to sense it if it had.”

“Do you feel any different?” Fleur asked Asher, curiosity written all over her face.

Asher shrugged. “I’ve only just woken up. To the voice of my familiar. While I had wondered when you talked about it, if that could happen to me as well, it was still unexpected and very much a surprise. If there were any other changes, I’d be hard pressed to notice them at this point in time.”

Ueana managed to chuckle to herself. Asher certainly hadn’t acted surprised when she’d calmly said that he’d talked. A smile on her face even, like it was the most natural thing. Which to be fair, it was for them all now.

“Are there any foreign riders present?” Asher asked.

Coorie thought for a moment, and then shrugged. “Not as far as we can tell. But we’d be hard pressed to tell, given how little we actually know about those who have replaced the Sisters of the Radiant Dawn. At the least, we haven’t seen Lady Starlight or Sister Kyril, and it would be a pretty solid guess that they’d be sent back if the Southern Peaks were going to send riders back up.”

Asher nodded. “If there were going to send someone back up, they would likely be here by now. Did Queen Alysia comment on your changes?”

“Only to say that Ueana was cute,” Coorie answered with a mischievous smile. “To which Ueana went the most adorable shade of pink.”

Ueana went said shade again.

“And have you talked to the queen about our purpose here?”

“No. Not yet. We were waiting for you.”

“Good. Get me some food, and then we’ll go see her. I’m sure she’ll give us an audience, given that we’re already here and all.”


Asher was right on the money. As soon as the lady knight enquired with Grivene, who for some reason was the one to bring them the food, the head servant told them that the queen was ready to receive them straight away. Taking the plate and eating while walking, Asher had them taken to see her immediately.

“It’s never a good thing to keep a queen waiting,” she offered as way of explanation, waving a piece of food for emphasis.

Ueana was somewhat surprised. She knew that Asher would be hungry; she hadn’t eaten for a week and the mana here wasn’t as dense as it had been at the temple, and Asher wasn’t always the most civilized of riders, being the whole camp under the stars one, but she hadn’t quite expected her to bring the same manners to the palace of the Avaralinian queen. Either Asher knew something that they didn’t, or she just wasn’t that bothered about protocol at the moment. At least Grivene didn’t seem to make any fuss about it, just leading the way to the throne room.

Except it wasn’t to the throne room that they were being led. Grivene went straight past the throne room and up some flights of stairs, taking a route that Ueana found familiar. This was the way that she had gone when she had come to see the deep dragons that night. More directly though, without all of the backtracking that she’d had to do when trying to find her way through the maze of the palace.

Asher finished the food by the time they’d reached the fifth level, their path finally deviating from her previous one the floor below, a turn down a corridor just before the room in which the two girls had been lying, leading them to another spiral staircase the wound up through the centre of the palace. And to their destination.

Grivene held the door open for them as they passed through, Ueana finding herself in a room with shelves lining every single wall, on which were stacked volume upon volume of books. She had never seen so many in her life. She also had no idea what any of them were about, her ability to read not that great. Her family hadn’t been that well off, having to work hard for what they did have. Which hadn’t included much of an education, her mother teaching her what she knew. For that though she was grateful, and she did know of riders that knew less than her. And others that knew more. Being a noble, she knew that Coorie would be fully literate, and she also suspected that Fleur was better than her as well. Something that she should brush up on if she got the chance. She idly wondered how well the deep dragons could read.

Alysia was sitting in a big chair on one side of the room, legs crossed and arms resting on the arms of the chair, a magical fire burning in a hearth beside her, thick rugs covering the floor. The room itself was bathed in a soft warm light emitted by a pair of lamp stands, enough to comfortably see by, but not make out some of the finer details.

Ueana knelt down, giving the queen a bow as the others did so. Except for Asher, who remained standing.

“No need for formalities,” Alysia stated. “You are here as my personal guests.”

Ueana and the other hatchlings rose again, quite happy to do so.

“You look haggard,” Asher stated bluntly, arms crossed as she stared at the queen.

Ueana was shocked. “You can't say that to the queen!” she blurted out at the same time that Coorie did. “Even as personal guests,” Coorie added.

“I can, and I have,” Asher replied, still looking at the queen. Asher was right though. Even if this light, Alysia looked dead tired, the healthy glow that she’d exhibited when they’d met her on their arrival just after the pulse now gone. The queen was powerful, Ueana sure that whatever was the issue was unlikely to weaken her, but nevertheless it was showing.

Alysia chuckled. “I see you were restraining yourself last time you were here. It is good to see the real you. You are right though. I may be on the other side of tired. I was not fully prepared for the changes that were wrought by the pulse. Especially to me personally. Sleep has been eluding me, visions plaguing my mind every night. They have yet to settle down, but perhaps tonight may be different. What brought you back here? It wasn’t the pulse, as you were already close when it hit.”

“The title of Water means something to you?”

“Yes, it does.” Alysia seemed to perk up, sitting just a little straighter. “She was one of the lieutenants of the Demon King, who escaped just before his defeat. We have been looking for her along with Katherine and the others, but she has remained just as elusive.”

“You didn’t mention her last time we were here.”

“All we have for her is her title, and the most basic of descriptions. Average build for a rider, black dragon bone armour, blue back hair. For all her abilities, Myne was unable to recall much else about her, being the only one who actually got a good look at her during the wedding. Not even Melody actually got to see her unmasked and uncloaked beforehand. Nor was Myne able to find her after she left the capital, something about her changing as it did for all of the others as well. Hence why we focus on the former princess.”

Asher nodded, looking at Ueana and the others. Ueana shook her head back.

“So, what about you brought her back here?” Alysia asked again.

“They ran into a powerful demon and a dying rider, who asked that the message be passed on that they’d found Water. As to whom the message was for, they didn’t say.”

“You have my undivided attention,” Alysia stated, magic washing over her as she suddenly looked and felt more alive than what they had just seen.

Which they did, Ueana and Coorie retelling the story between them, recalling as many of the details as they could, and presenting the ring to the queen, who examined it carefully before having them continue. Once they were finished, Alysia sat there looking thoughtful, fidgeting with the ring between her fingers.

“I think that you were right in that the message was intended for me, and it is almost certain that they are talking about the Mask of Water. As to why they were on the other side of the mountain range is an interesting puzzle. There are many options, but two main ones. Either the rider came down from the Empire or the northeastern section of Vourinborn, or she was in the process of trying to escape from the demon as was forced to fly in a different direction.” Alysia paused, looking again at the ring. “Unfortunately, I have no idea who the rider was either, but I am certain that they would have come from the Calis Islands. Likely one of the Daughters of the Sea, given that we passed on our request to them, though she possibly could have been a White Salt Raider.”

“I thank you for bringing me this information.”

“What will you do now about it?” Ueana asked, unable to hide her curiosity. No, it was more than that. She felt as though they were involved, invested in what happened next, given that they had found the rider.

“Work out who I am going to send to look into it. I will have to choose carefully, as the demon that killed the rider will turn up again.”

“Can you not ask Myne?” Fleur asked.

Alysia shook her head.

“But she is powerful. And scary.”

“Myne does as she pleases. She is not beholden to me or this kingdom. She is a power in her own right, but she has already lost much in the fight against the demon king. She has already refused to be any more involved, and now that Velvet is back, that will be doubly so. If for some reason she changes her mind, it will be at her volition, and her own time. I will let her know however.”

“We will do it,” Asher stated, her voice clear and with a finality.

Alysia looked as surprised as Ueana felt. Sure, she was secretly hoping that perhaps they would be asked, but at the same time, she feared the demon. Even Asher could fall to it.

“Don’t you need to return to the Empire?” It sounded like a rhetorical question, Ueana pretty sure that Alysia already knew the answer to that one.

“We cannot go back. Not at the moment. Nor will I sit idle while a demon that can kill the prime of our kind wanders free around the lands. It was more than coincidence that these three ran into it.”

Alysia looked thoughtful, staring at Asher before she gazed at the rest of them, and then returned to the lady knight.

“You will die.”

“We will not fall to the demon easily,” Asher refuted. “It’s time is limited, and it will fall to our hands for what it has done.”

“It isn’t the demon that will kill you Asher,” Alysia said sadly.

“I will fight any such fate, and protect these ones too,” Asher declared, standing straighter as she imposed her presence on the room. “Isn’t that what you would do?”

Alysia sighed, reclining back into the chair, looking tired again. “Yes, it is what I am always doing. The world has changed however, and we have yet to realize the full extent of what that pulse fully means. Or even part of the extent. I doubt even Velvet will be able to tell us.”

“But you are the best people for the job, even though the cost will be steep. It’s not a task just for the kingdom though. It goes well beyond that. I won’t ask you to do it, but if you are willing to accept that you may not all return, I will accept your offer.”

Ueana could feel the fear at the core of her being, telling her the truth of the queen’s words. Yet, she knew that Asher was powerful. Sure, not as powerful as Myne, and probably not as powerful as the queen either, but she was still a lattice soul, and the pulse had done something to her beyond that. At the least, like them, she could talk to her familiar. And that was not something to take lightly. She was certain that they would be able to take on the demon with Asher with them. But somehow, somewhere along they way, they would lose someone. Or more. If it was Fleur or Coorie she’d be devastated, forever blaming herself that she didn’t refuse the mission here and now when they had the chance.

Yet, beyond the declaration of death, the queen hadn’t said that they would all die, and her final statement could well imply other things beyond that. In that there was hope.

She believed in Asher though. She was strong, serious, and despite some of her differing preferences, she was also sensible. And in spite all of what was said, Ueana still wanted to find whoever this Water was, and take it from there. They would find a way to survive.

Asher looked back at the four of them. “You do not need to commit to this task if you do not wish to do so. The choice is yours. I however still intend to find Water, and this demon, and make them pay.”

Armur was the first to reply. “My blade is yours. I have little else at the moment outside of you all.”

Ueana looked at her bondmates. Fleur looked scared, but nevertheless nodded to her. Coorie just smiled. “Of course we’ll go,” she stated.

“So, it looks like you’re stuck with us,” Ueana affirmed.

“There you have it,” Asher stated to the queen. “We offer to take this task for you, of our own violation.”

“And I accept. Thank you. I will provide you with what assistance I can.”

“Umm,” Fleur asked timidly, interrupting the two older ladies. “What exactly do we do once we’ve found Water?”

“She is our link to the Demon King and the rest of his lieutenants. Without the magic of the Dawn Angel you won’t be able to bring her back here, but I am sure you’ll be able to make the right decision at the time.”

“Indeed.” Asher grinned as she cracked her knuckles.

“On another topic though, exactly what happened to you three?” Alysia asked, looking at Ueana in particular. “Ignoring the adorable changes, you all bear the mark of the deep dragons on you, and strongly so. The fox cub too.”

Ueana went that shade of pink again.


The One Who Was Spited, Severed From Her Domain, But Still Immensely Powerful slowly drifted down, her six wings beating instinctually, the winds surrounding her bending to her will.

She looked down at the figure below her. Their whole was fragmented, in many parts, but here was the largest, the central part, sitting on the bone throne, casual and relaxed, arms to either side, the ancient blade leaning up against the throne behind them as if it was but a mere toy, arrays pulsing around them like a heartbeat. Their demeanour infuriated her. It always had, but she would tolerate them. For now.

“You failed in your little scheme, didn’t you,” the fragmented sneered accusingly. “You lost your toys. You let others give them a portion of their selves.”

“It was necessary,” she stated as she landed on the stone ring, the arrays repulsed away from around her as if they were mere liquid.

“Sure. Tell yourself that. If it makes you feel any better about it all. You just didn’t understand them.”

She held her rage, the faint sparks around her clenched fist the only indication of it. Then that was gone as she drowned it within herself.

“Even you benefited from it all,” she just simply said.

They shrugged. “I’m sure you didn’t come here to tell me that. To what do I owe your disturbance, oh furious one.”

Her eyes flared, but she suppressed it again. They were still exactly the same. Even after all that had happened. After all that she had done for them.

“They will come.”

“And? I would feel insulted if they didn’t.”

“You underestimate them.”

Another shrug, and a cocky look. “So? This time will not be like the last.”

“No, that it will not. This time, I will be here too.”

“Really... What makes you think that I’ll need or want your aid... Or that you even have anything to offer.”

They rolled their eyes, their condescending tone so thick she could have scooped it up and dumped it all over them.

“You will take it. There is much you don’t know. Much that has changed. I gave you knowledge before. This time, you will get much more.”

Their eyes flared a blood red, power building and leaking, aura impressive and oppressive. But still insignificant to her.

“We shall see...”

[[Arc 5 end.]]

And so concludes the fifth arc ^^ Ueana got the spotlight again (and those with her), plus someone else as well ^^

I definitely enjoyed writing this chapter; it was good to focus on Ueana again, though it will be a while before she gets her next chapter.

Thanks for reading as always. Comments are welcome.

The next chapter (88 - Behind the Veil) will be out in a weeks time.

15