Chapter 92 – Otherwise known as a Date
293 10 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 92Otherwise known as a Date.

The markets of Agersdene City were fairly impressive, definitely the largest that Crystal had seen thus far, a mass of stalls and buildings sprawled over a couple of terraces, bustling with people everywhere. Merchants hawked their wares, shoppers talked and shouted amongst themselves, children played around the edges, the sound of the nearby industries a constant in the background. It was definitely a different beast to the shopping districts and malls of their age, instead closer to what they had seen in Brightswater. Both were packed with people, and Crystal would be hard pressed to say which had more people, but the underlying feel was different. The streets and markets of Brightwater, and even the shops of Cannonsgate, had a residual modern feel to it, but here the influence of magic was clear, both in the stalls and the more traditional shops. From a food vendor using fire magic to heat their wares, wind magic being used to carry another’s voice further and clearer, a young girl at a stall, concentrating as she coaxed a small potted tree to grow, the colours and vibrancy of the decorations, to the nature of some of the wares for sale. Even the styles of outfits that people were wearing had that distinctly fantasy feel to it as well, and that was ignoring the way that riders dressed.

They didn’t look out of place this time though, at least as long as they kept their wings and tails from manifesting. Rachael had obviously been paying attention last time they were in the city, and when it was decided that they would be going for an explore around the city, with one of the queen’s guards in tow for better or worse, she had said that she would produce some outfits for the occasion. For her and Crystal anyways, Fairweather and Clocky having already headed out, their attire not too far off the norms. Well, Clocky’s anyways. It was a chance for those two to spend some quality time together. A date even. Crystal wished that she and Rachael didn’t have to have the additional company either, but unfortunately, given the circumstances, there wasn’t really a choice.

One of the selling point to the outfits was that Rachael was also going to wear something different as well, making good on her promise from earlier. For all the constant changing of clothes that she had done while they had been at the flat, Rachael had essentially been wearing the same clothes since they had awoken in this age. Quite a contrast. While Crystal was certain that her lover got far too much enjoyment out of dressing her up, something that she wasn’t going to deny her, she was sure that Rachael still enjoyed doing so herself. Crystal was a little disappointed that it wasn’t a fancy dress like what she had been modelling, but Rachael just grinned, saying that she was saving them up for later. There was a gathering that they would be attending. They would possibly the centre of attention even, and they weren’t going to disappoint.

That’s not to say that what Rachael had made for this occasion was plain or anything. Far from it.

Rachael had chosen a dress for herself this time, and she looked absolutely gorgeous in it. Well beyond how good Crystal had known that Rachael would look. Rachael had always looked good in whatever she was wearing, always dressing herself nicely, but constrained by the perception of what she should be able to afford and the norms of society. But now that wasn’t something that she had to worry about, and Crystal had made sure that Rachael knew just how good Crystal thought she looked. She had even managed to elicit a blush from her. Rachael’s dress was a forest green colour, and at a glance you would have thought that it was made from velvet or something similar. It was low cut, short sleeved, hugging Rachael’s top half tightly. Its open and generous cleavage was crossed with laces that were tied together at the top, small green gems running along the edges. The loose skirt half flowed from her waist to mid shin, patterns of dragons present for those who dared to look too closely. She wore a pair of knee high dark green heeled boots, and she had painted her fingernails a matching colour. They went perfectly with her green earrings and eyes. She looked elegant, every bit a noble. A far cry from the reality of what they were, but still giving a subtle hint. She had even got the maid from their castle room to put a couple of small braids in her hair, one on each side just behind her ears.

Crystal had grumbled just a little when she had discovered that she wasn’t going to be wearing a dress as well. Rachael just laughed in response and said that they had to balance each other out, and usually it was Crystal wearing the dress, even if it was her armour. Which meant, given that she could call it out at any point, that she really should be trying on other things as well. Diversify more with her attire. And like Rachael, she had also been wearing the same thing for most of their time here. All very true, and Crystal wasn’t going to dispute it, even if the armour was probably the most comfortable thing that she had ever worn, thanks to its magical nature. There would be plenty of opportunities for them to both wear dresses, such as the gathering. Crystal was definitely looking forward to that, both to wear whatever dress Rachael had in mind, and to see Rachael dressed in her pick. She would be stunning. And of course to seeing all of the dragons as well.

Crystal had been given a blouse, leggings, and boots. Again, at a glance you would assume that they were made from cotton or leather. They certainly didn’t feel like that though, rather more like a cross between lycra and silk and velvet. Nice and comfortable in other words. Decadent even. The blouse was a dusty brown colour, long sleeved and low cut, going down to her hips, close fitting but not quite as tight as the bodice of Rachael’s dress. Except for across her breasts, where it had the same lace and gem feature as Rachael’s dress, and Rachael had made sure that it was very snug. The black leggings were high waisted and tight, and gave the appearance that they were laced up along the outside of both legs. A pair of dusty brown heeled boots and a small waist pouch rounded off the outfit, with her hair tied back in a simple ponytail. It was nice, and Crystal did like it, Rachael giving her a seductive grin as she has changed. Which she returned of course.

While they might fit in, the same couldn’t be said of the arkchildren, but given their ability to mostly stay unnoticed, they weren’t that worried about them, and there hadn’t been any reports from Hope yet about her being paid any undue attention.

The guard that had been sent along with them seemed rather nervous. Bareth was his name if she remembered correctly. He was currently walking a few paces behind them, trying to look like he wasn’t staring at everything while at the same time doing exactly that. She couldn’t blame him she guessed. They were an unknown factor, and all that the queen had said to him was to try and keep them out of trouble. Not defend them, not escort them, or anything like that. Just try and keep them out of trouble. That by itself would have caused Crystal no end of uneasiness if she had been anyone else, but she was sure that the queen had faith in her guards. He was a wolf feral if Crystal was understanding how the labelling went, a pair of fluffy brown wolf ears nestled in his grey black hair the only indication. She did wonder if he would stay just as that, or become something more due to the second pulse, but only time would tell. She certainly wasn’t getting any instinctual feeling about it as she had for Raewyn. He was dressed in nondescript leather armour, a sword at his waist, rather plain compared to the palace guard armour that she had seen him in earlier, full ornate plate with the kingdoms crest on it.

Crystal looked up as a dragon flew overhead, a silver one with blue tints on the edges of its wings and tail. A beautiful and elegant creature, like all of them were. She was a little disappointed that one of the riders that had intercepted them hadn’t been given the escort duty. Even Nisha, as at least she would be a familiar face. All of them had accompanied them back to the capital, just to ensure that there would be no more complications, along with whatever other reasons Alysia had in mind. But once back, Alysia had required them to go to the rider temple, and await further instructions. Neither of them knew exactly how the queen was going to present this gathering to the riders, how much she was actually going to let them know. Heck, she hadn’t even told them exactly when she was going to have them met the clan, or where either. It was certainly not going to be that night though. There was a pretty big chance too that Alysia was going to see how much of an effect they’d have just being in the near proximity. She didn’t know what she thought about that, but she couldn’t deny that the information would be valuable.

Lost in thoughts again?” Rachael teased, intertwining her hand with Crystal’s.

Always it seems,” Crystal smiled back, sliding right against her soulmate, bodies touching, Spectre having to take a step back to not trip her up.

We should enjoy this opportunity while we can,” Rachael said as they made their way down the stairs between two terraces and into the middle layer of the market, flags and banners decorating either side.

Oh don’t worry, I intend to. To the fullest,” Crystal replied, slipping in front of Rachael and then stretching to give her a quick kiss.

You’re not getting away with that so easily,” Rachael murmured, Crystal feeling Rachael’s arms going around her waist as Rachael pulled her closer and continued the kiss. Of course she was more than happy to oblige. They had to part far too quickly though.

It was hard not to get caught up in the vibe and flow of the market as they flittered from stall to store, staring at the merchandise and sampling some of the dishes on sale. They had some money that had been given to them by the queen, the value of the jewellery that Crystal still had on her unknown, but they weren’t intending to spend much. They didn’t really have any need to do so, with Rachael able to make their clothes, and plenty of supplies already in the skimmer. Any restocking for the vehicle could be done later anyway. There wasn’t much need for any trinkets or curios either, neither of them inclined that way. Crystal hadn’t even invested in any additional jewellery either, which, thinking about it, surprised her a little. Unless there was something really special about it, Crystal just couldn’t see the appeal. Possibly another influence of what they now were, and what she currently had was rather unique anyways.

Which could be considered a little odd, as weren’t dragons traditional hoarders of gold and valuables? Perhaps that aspect was indeed just fiction.

The food was interesting. Good, a bit spicier than what she was used to, but very much what she imagined street fare to be like. She certainly still missed things like the fish and chips that were a staple from her age, not necessarily for the taste of it, as it was never that great to be honest, nor a healthy option, if that actually mattered as much any more, but more for the nostalgia factor. They ate a few meat skewers between them, pheasant, chicken, and something like beef, as well as some fresh pastries that had just come out of the oven. Sweet, delicate, and with a hint of apricot. A selection of fresh fruit too, including some mangos, and a rice dish in a hand sized bowl that Rachael ended up eating more of than she did.

Bareth was always behind them, failing at being a shadow, but not doing anything else other than maintaining his distance, always just a few paces away. Crystal was sure that it was pretty obvious that he was their guard or minder, but not unusual, as she did spot a few other well dressed individuals with just as obvious guards. Some people though carried the air of wealth and power, and walked alone. Most of them were ferals, people with distinctive animalistic aspects, always with multiple traits too, ears and tails being dominant. People with enough magic to dissuade most others from messing with them. The armour and weapons on them were also a give away. The few that weren’t, she could still sense the magic from them. While a few more dragons flew over the district, she didn’t actually see any on the ground. At a glance, none of them looked familiar, though she did see the same three dragons multiple times – the silver and blue one, a deep purple one with red highlights, and an earthy brown one.

There was a lot of nice clothes as well, plenty of inspiration for Rachael, both in the stores, and what people were wearing. They sat for a while on a seat by one of the terraces fountains, the water flowing down the wings of an angel as they leaned into each other and watched the people walk by. They got a few strange looks, but by and large nobody seemed to be paying them any extra attention. It was actually kind of nice.

No, I’d say that you are getting more looks than you realise, just most are being discrete about it. A learned skill for those who frequent this section of the market I’d wager. You may not notice, but we do. Some of those ferals and others with potent magic definitely have subtly reacted when spotting you two. I don’t think anyone has noticed us yet, or at least, let on.’

Crystal humpfed to herself. She tried to discretely pay some more attention to those around them, to see what Spectre was obviously seeing, but without being obvious about it she couldn’t pick up on any more attention than what she’d already noticed. Rachael giggled, leaning in to give her a quick kiss, all dainty and lady like.

Our skills all lie in different places it seems,” she whispered in Crystal’s ear, her breath warm and tantalising.

That much was true. Even ignoring the situation at hand, she’d be hard pressed to do what most of the merchants and artisans in the market could do. With Bareth starting to look a bit fidgety, they got up and continued on through the market, hands intertwined as they had their way down to the next terraced level, Crystal now picking up on a few more looks that weren’t being as carefully veiled. Mostly from wealthier looking men in this case, a number whose gaze made her skin crawl.

Ones whose stations mean that they don’t have to hide their intentions I’d wager.’

Yeah, she’d gathered that much. Such people had made her skin crawl even back in her time, and it was sad to see that they appeared to be an ingrained part of humanity.

they don’t even realise that you both are well out of their reach.

Was she detecting a bit of disgust there in Warrior’s voice?

humpf.

They had gotten a lot closer to the three large buildings that dominated one section of the markets, the stalls and shops in this section looking a lot wealthier than the others sections that they had passed through. Small trees lined both sides of the road at regular intervals, more fountains and statues at every corner. The sound of the industries was quieter, though the sound of those in the market was still just as loud, and the air had a pleasant scent to it. The mix of businesses seemed about the same, but everything looked more opulent, and pricer. They spent a few minutes staring at a suit of armour in one shops window, full plate that was advertised as being light and durable. Enchantments etched all over it backed up its claims, but even given that, Crystal still couldn’t help think that it would end up being impractical, and so very much inferior to what she already had. Or what riders could make as well. Rachael chuckled at her as they moved away from that store before she started voicing her opinion, past another shop that had beautiful wood carvings arranged in a scene in its window, and to one that had some gorgeous dresses on display in the window. The sorts of things that one would have associated with fantasy stories or video games back in their age, intricate and complicated with multiple layers, that would probably require a servant to help put on and be somewhat impractical for actual wearing unless you were the excessively wealthy sort who could actually afford them in the first place and didn’t do a lot with their time.

Or you had a magical version that did away with the mundane limitations,” Rachael added to her thoughts, her eyes sparkling. “You’d have to admit that you’d certainly leave an impression.”

Yup!” What once would have been considered costumes becoming standard wear. There was certainly an appeal to that, but then again, that was what they were seeing all around them at the moment, especially with those that possessed magic. Especially the riders. No one would have been caught dressing like that in their time.

Still a lot of nostalgia with you,’ Spectre teased.

Well, she couldn’t help it.

A strong blast of wind buffeted them, the trees rustling as they turned to find that a dragon had landed beside a fountain just down from them, water sprayed across one side of the street. It was the silver and blue one that she’d seen earlier, the dragon around the same size as Callisto, but not as heavy set. Glares were directed at the rider as she slid down off her familiar, both from those that had managed to get out of the way, and the now damp ones who hadn’t. It was a warm day. They’d dry out quick enough. Or they could just buy a change of clothes. Crystal watched as the rider quickly glanced around before she ran off down the street towards one of the large buildings.

The rider looked to be around their age, not quite as tall as Rachael, with a lithe but well endowed figure. She did however have the most unique outfit that Crystal had seen of any rider thus far. Dragon bone armour, a light silver colour with blue highlights, covered her shoulders, left forearm, formed a sort of strapless bodysuit that was high cut at the leg, and also formed a pair of ankle high heeled boots that were very pointed. Black skeon covered both of her arms and her right leg, her left leg entirely bare right up to her hip. A pair of belts, both formed from bone armour but looking more like a fabric, went from the hip on one side and down across to her leg on the other. Their purpose completely eluded Crystal. The riders thick brown hair was short and roughly cut, as if she had done it herself with a blade not intended for that purpose, and a silky grey cloak, tucked into her shoulder armour and clasped around her neck, flowed down her back.

Crystal watched the dragon settle itself down beside the fountain as the street around them seemed to return to normal. Albeit with some under the breath cursing directed at the rider. The familiar really was a beautiful creature, more so up close, the blue highlights subtle on its scales, but a lot more prominent on its wings. It shuffled around a bit, trying to make itself comfortable, before it turned its head towards them, curious emerald green eyes staring straight at her and Rachael. Eyes filled with longing.

Come on,” Crystal said, pulling Rachael along with her as she headed down towards the dragon.

Ladies...” Bareth started with worry in his voice.

Rachael laughed lightly in response as they continued walking. “Don’t worry. It’ll be fine.”

The familiar continued to watch them as they approached, stretching her wings as they got closer and startling some of the passersby who moved even further away from the dragon than they had already been, before tucking them away again. The dragon rumbled as they got closer to her, bending her head down as Crystal reached up to caress her face. Her scales were smooth, almost silky, and warm to the touch. Crystal tried a rumble back, something reassuring, although the nature of that form of communication still mostly eluded her. She was getting better though.

You know, don’t you,” Crystal finally said, fingers trailing down its snout. “We don’t know exactly how it works though,” she added sadly. “That’s part of the reason why where here.”

She had felt it keenly with the other familiars, as she had said to the Nisha that morning. For all familiars in fact. But for this one here, the sense, the desire, was so much stronger. It tore at her, its sadness intermingling with her own.

What’s your name?”

Images and impressions flashed at the edge of her conscious. Coming into being, being called and formed. The first touch with its rider. The initial bond. Nerida. Its name was Nerida.

That’s a beautiful name,” Crystal said, feeling part of her magic well up within herself. She let it come, flowing through her, to the tips of her fingers as she placed both her hands on the dragons snout, and gently pressed her forehead up against her. Warmth. Comfort. The knowing, the full extent and truth of the bond. The other half of what they were.

Her magic touched and mingled, vastly different, but both draconic in nature. Nerdia wasn’t elementally aligned. She was something else again.

What are you doing?” snapped a voice laced with worry. “Are you trying to get yourself killed?”

Crystal pulled her hands away and carefully stepped back from Nerida, intertwining her hand in Rachael’s again. The rider was sprinting back towards them, looking more concerned than angry. Crystal internally sighed. Yes, she may have forgotten that familiars usually didn’t like anyone bar their rider being close to them. They of course were different though, not that the rider necessarily knew that. Nor could she just ignore the look in the familiar’s eyes.

Sorry,” Bareth stated, stepping up and giving the rider a part bow. “They’re not used to local customs.”

The rider gave him a confused look. “I’m pretty sure that’s a universal thing,” she said, before shaking her head. “At least no one got scarred for life. Or worse. Give us some room though. We’re leaving.”

The rider waited until they had moved well clear of her and her familiar before she reinforced herself, part leaping, part scrambling onto the back of her dragon, and then looking a little embarrassed about it. She then leaned down against Nerida as the dragon flapped its wings and launched itself into the air, spraying water everywhere again. They had of course moved well clear, far enough away to avoid any of the spray, but still close enough to hear her mutter something about ‘stupid guildies’.

Bareth sighed, visibly relaxing. “Never thought I’d see anyone do that,” he stated. “I’d heard the rumours though. You’re the ones that talked to the delegation, aren’t you?”

Hmm? Yeah, if we’re thinking of the same one.” Crystal casually replied. “Do you know who that rider was?”

Bareth shook his head. “No. She’s not a lady knight.”

Oh. Ah well.”

We’ll see her again I’m sure,” Rachael said as she started walking away from the fountain, Crystal falling into step beside her. “At the gathering failing anything else.”

Crystal nodded. “Back to the palace now?” she asked. The sun was starting to get a bit lower now, the day a little cooler, and the atmosphere suddenly a little different, like there some somewhere else that they now needed to be. There was still quite a bit of day left, summer not quite over yet if seasons still behaved in the same way, but they had spent quite some time in the town, and she was suddenly feeling tired.

magic.

contact.

From Warriors tone, that apparently explained everything.

Probably the best idea,” Rachael said in reply to her previous question. “We’re starting to garner more attention now than we were before.”

Crystal didn’t have the energy to verify that for herself, instead just getting as close to Rachael as she could as they walked. Spectre was making some confirming thoughts through their bond as well.

Did it work?” Rachael asked. “The familiars desire was clear...”

I don’t know.” Crystal tried thinking over exactly what had happened. “It was more like my magic was responding to Nerida’s desire than me channelling it into an array, or forming it with a specific purpose. I don’t even know if it had the chance to finish either.” She sighed. “We don’t even know how it all happened the last two times either, except that it was different than that, and occurred without our knowing. I guess we should tell Alysia about it though.”

Rachael chuckled. “Yeah, it could mess up her whole experiment.”

Heh. I never thought I’d end up being a lab rat.”

Lab dragon,” corrected Rachael with a giggle.

They walked in silence after that, slowly making their way back towards the palace. They were probably still wandering a bit and not taking a direct path, but it didn’t really matter. There was no way that they would get lost even without Bareth and ignoring their flight capabilities, the palace landmark in its own right, sitting at the cities highest point and playing tricks with the sun’s rays that passed through its crystal sections. Everything around them seemed a bit muted, Crystal happily tuning it all out and just enjoying Rachael’s company, her eyes partially closed as she just focused on her. All things considered, it had been a good day. It always was when she was with her lover though. She could feel her magic still flowing through her, her wings wanting to manifest, but obeying her desire to stay dematerialized. And wanting to spread out from her as well.

Are.. sure that... are the ones? ... kinda cute... nobles.”

Huh? Someone was talking. Crystal looked up to see two riders standing in front of them, a tall one with rose pink colour armour, which actually went quite well with the black skeon, the other a little shorter with teal coloured hair and highlights on her armour. Two dragons sat a little further back, whose landing she had somehow missed.

Sorry,” Rachael was saying ever so politely. “I’m not sure who you are looking for, but we are expected back at our lodgings, and are running behind.”

Huh. That wasn’t quite correct. Crystal blinked, laying her head against Rachel. Rachael definitely knew who they were looking for, and the queen wasn’t expecting them back any time soon. But she was ready to nap. She could feel Rachael’s magic flowing through and around her lover, and some noises from the riders as they were both enveloped in warmth.

Then everything around them shifted, and she could smell the sweet scent of fluffy pillows and warm blankets, the softness underneath her.

Thanks babe,” Crystal purred as she collapsed onto the bed, sleep taking her instantly.

Oh. Hmm. Something's up there ^^

But overall it seems like the date went well. Not even any real complications. Just a small run in with a dragon.

Thanks for reading as always. Comments are welcome :)

On the writing front, things have been going slow, much more so than I had anticipated, and I am still working on chapter 95. Life is busy. Full time work, along with other commitments and other hobbies has an impact. Which means that they release schedule will slow down.

My plan at this stage is just to release chapters when I complete the following one, so that I always have a buffer of one chapter - mostly because I have a habit of needing to change stuff in the previous chapter. Not what I was hoping to do, but ah well. This will be a long story, and it's going to take time to complete.

So, the next chapter (93 - Soul of the Land) will be out when it is. Hopefully next week if my day goes as planned, but perhaps later.

14