(Arc 7) Chapter 97 – Cold Lands, Warm Hands
373 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 97 – Cold Lands, Warm Hands.

The Southern Peaks. A land of mountains and snow, home to the Gaia’s Wall and Titan Rage ranges, and the highest peaks in all of the Innerlands. All of them. The mountain ranges here stretched higher than they did anywhere else, and even those of the Empire didn’t get close to most of them. It was a bit harder to tell for the Basat Line, given their secretive nature, but Ueana was fairly certain that it still held true. The big four were the three peaks of the Devil’s Horns, and Heroes Summit, and tales said that you would freeze long before reaching their summits. She could well believe it, given past experiences. The coldest of the kingdoms of the Innerlands, and it was certainly living up to it’s name, even if it wasn’t effecting her much at all, the warmth of her magic burning hot within her and Callisto. Enough even to leave a trail of steam if they weren’t keeping on eye on how much heat they were leaking. A lesson quickly learnt.

The desert that bordered it and Avaraline had been a different matter. Stretching from the Centre Sea to the Circle Sea, the grasses of the kingdom slowly turned yellow, getting swallowed by the sand the further you went into its expanse, till there was nothing but a sea of sand, rolling dunes and long flat expanses, heat radiating off it in waves. Ueana had almost fainted, the intensity of the midday heat too much for her, even though it was late autumn. She had felt somewhat pathetic about that, a fire aspect overwhelmed by something that she herself could produce and regulate. They had had to turn back, resting on the cooler edge till nightfall, and restarting the crossing once the heat had gone. It took them two days to cross, all of the riders resting under the wings of the familiars during the day, uncomfortably warm, but not fatally so. She had even managed to sleep, which had been a miracle.

Your body just isn’t suited to it. That’s what we’re for,’ Callisto again reminded her. He’d said it quite a few times, probably because he was in fact correct. Reminding her that he was as much her guardian as he was also her weapon and mount. And eternal companion. Part of the same magic, born from the same soul. ‘I do think that you were faring about as well as the others, they were just hiding it better. Apart from Fleur. She was not coping at all.’

That Fleur had not been, but she hadn’t noticed it at the time. Fleur was still spending a lot of time sleeping, Lily quite happy to carry her rider even when she was in the land of dreams. They weren’t sure what was wrong with her, concern mounting as the tiredness dragged on, but nothing seemed amiss. The queen had had a look, and couldn’t offer any explanation beyond that it was probably related to the pulse, which Fleur reinforced, insisting that she was fine, she just currently needed a lot of rest. And then dozed off again. All of her vitals were fine, she had no wounds, she could use her magic without issue when she was awake, was eating, drinking and passing at regular intervals, and she wasn’t running a fever. If anything, she felt a bit cooler than she should have, even in the heat, but that was a blessing given the temperatures that they had been enduring. The magic of their bond didn’t offer them anything either, just that all three of them were fine. All that they could do was trust that Fleur was indeed correct.

Then the desert had ended when they hit Gaia’s Wall, the sand washed up against the slopes of the mountains but unable to penetrate any further into the kingdom. Ueana had been more than a little grateful, eagerly flying up and along the slopes towards Horme Pass, the cold winds blowing down into the desert welcome. Calling it a pass was a little generous however, the passage halfway up the slopes of the range, ragged, and notoriously narrow in places. But it was the lowest point along this section of the range that they could safely travel through, and according to Asher who was familiar with it, it got frequent use by riders entering and exiting the kingdom along that border, and came out on the northern section of the Sheltered Domain. For anyone else though, entering via the Circle Sea was a much better option. That would land them in the Coastal Domain, and from there they could travel north to the Sheltered Domain and the kingdom’s capital of Winters Haven.

Which was their destination.

Ueana hadn’t really been wanting to travel to another heavily populated area, especially one where there would be a lot of riders. She had managed to avoid most of Clan Daybreak, but she was doubting that she’d be able to do the same with the Sisters of the Cleansing Frost. Queen Alysia had been open and inviting to them, even though she had had little to do with them beforehand. Possibly due to their presence in the delegation, though more likely due to the mark of the deep dragons on them. Or both, since they were related. But they had nothing like that here, even if they had met the were-bear prince and Lady Knight Starlight at the delegation. Not that either of them were the reason that they were here.

Instead, they were looking for Sister Kyril. The morbid rider. Kyril’s last words to her had stuck, still echoing around in her mind. “They’re cute.” Not you’re. They’re. Ueana was pretty sure where the rider had been looking when she had said that. Callisto had been right. Kyril had sensed something. She had seen her ears, even before they had appeared on her, before she had even visited Fox’s temple. Seen something that had not existed yet. And if she was able to do that, then perhaps she’d be able to glean something from the ring. It was their best lead at the moment, besides blindly fumbling around the Calis Isles, and the others had been in agreement with her.

Of course, that Kyril had seen something before it should have even come into existence also raised its own questions, but ones that she would shelve. Indefinitely. Around some things you tread carefully. Especially when said things were also responsible for gifts of power, the bond with your lovers, and the gift of awakening for your familiar. And your new form.

Having an idea is one thing. Knowing where to go is another. Beyond ‘to that kingdom over there’. As she did not in fact have any clue where to locate Kyril. Like most clans, its riders would be spread right over the kingdom, and just going up to the closest rider to ask where one of its members was was not a solid plan at all. They’d almost be better off just crossing across the Innerlands to the island kingdom and asking after Water and seeing what happened. Probably at best, getting laughed at. At worst, they’d come face to face with the demon king, which would not be a pretty end. Okay, asking after Kyril wouldn’t be as bad as that, and would eventually get them to her. The whole six degrees of separation and all that. Someone would know who she was, as clans as a whole weren’t that massive. More than likely though they’d end up having to talk to a lady knight first, which may also involve having to give a reason as to why members of another kingdoms clan were looking for her. Reasons that they wouldn’t want to give.

It was a moot point though. Asher was with them, as much a part of this as they were, being that she had been the first to offer their assistance. She had a lot more experience than the rest of them, her title carried weight, and she knew people. When Ueana had made the suggestion, Asher had only thought for a moment before stating their destination. Ueana had paled a little when she finally recognized the name of the location and made to complain, but her objection was dismissed.

“Lady Knight Starlight is stationed there, so Sister Kyril will be as well.” Asher had stated it as fact, with no room for argument.

You can’t keep avoiding other riders forever. You will have to face them. In the end, what does their judgement matter to you? You’re proud of what you are now, of what we are, are you not? Carry that with you, express it. After all, you are more than what you once were, and we have something that they do not.’

That she was, and Callisto was right, but it was still easier said than done. Madison’s were everywhere, and it had all effected her more than she had thought. More than she was still willing to openly admit. The others knew though. They always had.

And yet you still try and hide it.’ Ueana could hear his sigh come through. We’re not alone. You don’t have to rely on just your strength. They will all help you as well, as you will them. And in time, perhaps all of the other riders will all receive the gift as well.’

Fleur and Coorie, her bondmates. Her lovers. Their familiars Lily and Seashae. The little spirit fox-cub Kitni. Lady Knight Asher. And Armur. She really wasn’t alone. If anything they were quite the crowd. Ueana couldn’t help smiling to herself.

The Sheltered Domain was the large area that lay between the Gaia’s Wall and Titans Rage ranges, fully surrounded by mountains on all sides. Home to the bulk of the population of the Southern Peaks, and perpetually cold, even in the height of summer. Sure, it was probably still warmer when the days were longer, but only relative to itself. Compared to the Empire and Avaraline, it was a perpetual winter. Snow stretched down off the mountain slopes into the plain, a tint of white everywhere you looked, cold winds their continual companion once they had exited the pass and flown into the domain. Yet crops still grew, animals and livestock roamed, and people survived and thrived. The land of the domain was much higher up than the rest of the Innerlands, which was likely a contributing factor in it all. They had already passed a number of small settlements, low and compact, houses all clustered close together with heavy roofs, plenty of smoke coming out of the chimneys, but like everyone else in the Innerlands, they’d be using magic as much as wood and coal for heating. Those people that they’d spotted from a distance had all been rugged up in thick heavy clothes, and she wondered how they even managed to move in all of it.

Ueana felt that they must stand out on that alone. She was probably wearing the least of them all with her almost complete lack of skeon and ample bare skin, though she did have a form of crop jacket that merged with her armour, covering her upper back and arms. An enchanted item that had been given to her by the queen, merging with her magic to give it its current form. It didn’t have any effect on how warm she was, that being her magic alone, but it did make her look a bit more clothed. Asher had a somewhat tattered scarf around her neck, the rest of her body covered in dragon bone armour, the normally open section around her waist currently covered as well. Ueana wasn’t aware that was even possible. She certainly couldn’t change the form of her own armour, nor was she aware of any others that could. Perhaps it was a lattice soul thing. Armur was wearing one of her fur jackets, a heavy looking thing that fit over the top of her armour, and fortunately didn’t look like it was from a fox or related creature. She wasn’t sure exactly how she would have felt if that had been the case. Previously she wouldn’t have cared, but now, it felt kinda personal. Coorie had borrowed one of Armur’s other jackets, a smaller sized fur one that Armur wore when her armour wasn’t manifest, but even so Coorie still looked like she was swimming in it. It was kinda cute, and made both her and Coorie blush. Fleur was still dressed just as she normally was, refusing any additional layers, murmuring that she was fine and wasn’t feeling any cold. Lily didn’t seem concerned about that, and given Ueana’s own indifference they didn’t push it any further.

While she was privately relieved about it, Ueana was also surprised that they hadn’t met any Sisters of the Cleansing Frost yet, even though they had been in the Southern Peaks for a few days now. None at the exit point of Horme Pass, none spotted flying around. She had expected at least one. There could have been one at the settlements that they had passed by, but they would never know. Asher was still in her outdoors mode, even with the southern temperatures, and they had made camp every night. There was no doubt that they’d run into riders as they got closer to the capital though. There had also been no sightings of wildlings or worse either, but Ueana wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not. It meant that the people of the kingdom were safe, but she was feeling a little bored.


“I know you’re hungry,” Ueana said to Kitni as the spirit-fox cub nuzzled her leg, cute round eyes staring up at her in a pleading way. A look that would work on anyone. She had already felt that desire from him even before he had crawled his way out of Callisto’s saddlebags, twin tails wagging as he had then bound over to her. Picking the cub up, she gave him a pat before carrying him back over to Callisto, rummaging around in one of the saddlebag pockets until she found pouch that held the cub’s snacks. She really didn’t understand what all the fuss was about for spirit foxes. Kitni felt just like any other pet that she had had before she had become a rider, which admittedly wasn’t many and nothing quite so exotic, but still he was faring perfectly well outside of the Basat Line. Perhaps even better here, given the familiar environment, even if he wasn’t particularly fond of the cold.

“Here you are,” she stated, giving Kitni a strip of jerky, the cub happily devouring it as she stashed the pouch again. “You’ll have to wait till dinner like the rest of us for anything else.” The spirit-fox cub whined, giving her that look again, before snuggling down into her arms, tails swishing happily. Ueana sighed. She was going to be stuck holding him for a while. It’d be too cruel, and too cold, to just dump him back on the ground. Well, she was responsible for him now after all.

Making her way around to Lily, she sat down beside Fleur who was currently resting against her familiar’s forearm. Her face was a little flush, some strands of her long black hair falling over her face. She looked cute, and just a little vulnerable, if you ignored the three dragons beside her that were snuggled up together, Lily in the middle to help provide additional shelter for the tired rider. There were blankets both under and over Fleur at the moment. She hadn’t been in a position to complain about them when they had been placed. Being asleep was like that. Fleur stirred, eyes fluttering open as she looked at Ueana, a weak smile on her face. Deep green eyes that sparkled and could draw you in.

“How are you feeling?” Ueana asked, unable to hide the concern in her voice.

The bracelet of flames flared to life on Fleur’s wrist as she look at Ueana, Fleur shifting herself a bit as she made herself more comfortable against her familiar. At least she hadn’t tried throwing off the blankets this time.

“Tired, but not bad,” Fleur said, their bond reinforcing the sentiment. “Not long now I think,” she added, Ueana looking back at her confused. But Fleur had already dozed off again, contentment on her face. Ueana sighed, and freed one arm, much to Kitni’s annoyance, brushing the loose hair away from Fleur’s face.

“A surrogate mother already,” Coorie said with a chuckle as she sat down beside Ueana, legs pulled up close beside her.

Ueana leaned over, to a few more protests from the fox-cub, and gave Coorie a kiss. It was soft and warm. Reassuring. Coorie’s rose coloured lips were certainly something. Even with the bond, and what they had all said, their relationship was still complicated. It was going to take a lot of time and work. “Hey to you too,” she answered back, transferring Kitni onto the top of Coorie’s knees. “That would make you his mother too as much as me.”

Kitni wagged his tails, gave Coorie’s nose a lick, and then hopped back into Ueana’s arms.

Coorie laughed, soft and tinkly. “I think he has favourites though.” She then looked over at Fleur. “She’s going to be alright.”

“I know.” Ueana sighed. “But I am allowed to worry.”

“Of course you are,” confirmed Coorie as she stretched her legs back out and then tucked them around, leaning into Ueana, head resting against her shoulder. “I do too, even with the knowing.”

They sat there in silence, enjoying each others company, Armur engaged in her own conversation with her familiar as she pottered around the campsite. Asher was off hunting for the nights dinner, which meant that Ueana would be responsible for the campfire in a short while.

Coorie made some contented noises as she snuggled into Ueana a bit more, hand running through one of her tails. “I hope that we can always be like this. Together.”

“Me too.”

And we're back again, with arc 7 of Soul Flames, which is the final arc of volume 3. It consists of 11 chapters, 39k words. Looking at a weekly posting schedule at the moment for the arc, as I work on arc 8/volume 4, and other projects as well. So at this stage the next chapter (98 - Unexpected Connections) will be out in a weeks time.

If you'd like to read ahead (currently by an extra 3 chapters), or just support my writing, please consider supporting my pateron. It means a lot. As well as the advance chapters of Soul Flames, it also has the first chapter of Wolf Mother, a Soul Flames side story. And the advance chapters of Esper as well. Volume 1 and 2 are also available on all amazon stores (US link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L2JDH73) Volume 3 will go up on amazon once pateron has got all of the chpaters.

Speaking of Esper, it's my other story that is currently being released on SH/RR. If you haven't read it, please check it out ^^ (https://www.scribblehub.com/series/429130/esper-and-the-witch/)

And, I also have a discord channel (https://discord.gg/Y2gaPFB6X6), if you'd just like to chat, see announcements, additional information and so on.

Thank you very much for reading. It means a lot to have people look at your works. Comments, ratings etc are also welcome (though please be kind ^^).

13