22: Establishing Order
1.4k 12 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking back to the keep alone, I inspected my spear only to find this pop up instead.


Skill level too low to identify the weapon.


This was obviously new to me. [Item identification] had never failed like this below. Did this mean...that my new spear was above rank F? It certainly looked fancy enough to be higher than F-rank but so had the dagger. Maybe it was the materials that gave it a higher rank? Or the words engraved on it? They glowed, after all. Glowing words were always important.

Either way, I could figure it out later. I had notifications to read.


For assisting in the defeat of a Player one level above you, you have gained 30 EXP.

For repeating a specific action, you have gained the skill [Stun Smash]. Skill info: Smash a blunt weapon to cause the Stun effect. Stun's effectiveness is 30% on those without Stun resistance and 15% on those with Stun resistance. Lasts for 5 seconds on those without Stun resistance and 2 for those with Stun resistance. Can spend up to 5 SP to increase the Stun effect by 5% for each SP spent. The skill cooldown is 5 seconds. (Active, +5% effectiveness, +1 second) Costs 5 SP.

For repeating a specific action, you have gained the skill [Block]. Skill info: Block a strike while increasing Defense by 2 and weapon durability by 1 for 5 seconds. No skill cooldown. (Active, +1 Defense each level, +1 weapon durability each level, +2 seconds) Costs 2 SP.


I hurriedly walked back and picked up the spear sticks, shoving them into my belt next to my dagger. I expected [Stun Smash] to be really useful should I ever lose my spear.

By the time I'd made it back to my post, my co-{Guard} had revived. He tensed when he saw me, pulling an arrow from his quiver. I raised one placating hand, feeling just a tiny bit of guilt at killing him so quickly.

"Relax," I said. "I'm not gonna stab you again."

"Then why'd you do it the first time?" he asked, nocking the arrow. "I didn't even do anything to you!"

I frowned, walking toward him. "Like you didn't take the last shot?"

He retreated fearfully, raising his bow with trembling arms. "I-well, I-I didn't think it would matter! Plus you said to get my bow so I-"

A quick [Burst] put me into stabbing range, startling him. He loosed his arrow but I dodged easily, hooking my spear through his bow and pulling it out of his hands with a casual flick.

"Look here, buddy," I said, a slight growl in the edge of my voice. "You just got here and you don't know how this works. I'll forgive you for that. But kill stealing? That is something I can't forget."

He backed up against the wall as I stalked toward him, his eyes as wide as dinner plates. "I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean-"

"Doesn't matter," I interrupted. "All you need to know is that it can't - and won't - happen again."

"Y-yes, sir!"

I glowered at him a second longer before bursting out laughing, nearly dropping my spear in the process. "Oh, my gosh, you should've seen your face! Haha! You thought I might actually hurt you?"

"Y-you killed me!"

"Yeah, okay, that was a little messed," I admitted. "I...probably shouldn't have reacted so recklessly. But I'm not gonna slap you around willy-nilly when I feel like it. We'll save that for sparring."

He stared at me, dumbfounded. "Are you serious?"

"Well, I might. I did say we'd get to fair once you chose a name."

I tossed him his bow, smirking at him. "Till then, let's train before the next invader comes."

56