Chapter 88 – A load of questions
605 16 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Could I stay here? For the night.”

Upon my question, the little girl who seemed to barely reach my height displayed a bored expression.

“….”, she did not respond, and only looked at me in the eyes.

She looked around, then on her book. And sighed.

“It is fine.”, she responded after a long pause, and proceeded with reading her book.

‘Why did you take so long to answer though….’, I thought in my mind as I stepped closer to her.

“Can I sit here?”, I asked her, while looking at the little chair next to the table. “It is fine.”

 ‘Are you sure? Your voice didn’t really seem to be inviting me.’, I sat down on the chair, on the opposite side of hers.

“I’ll head straight to the case, I think you already know that I came here to get rid of you.”, I began a conversation.

Although she already knows that I am not human, there was no other reason to come here unless it was for this one mission.

“Yes, I am aware.”, she responded while flipping another page, her eyes concentrated on the book of hers.

First off, there was nobody else here except for her, meaning that nobody had any reason to approach the mansion. If I came here, it would be no coincidence.

“But… I have no actual intention of… uh well exorcise you.”

“I see.”, she responded while turning yet another page, I am beginning to ask myself if he’s is actually reading the contents relying within the book.

“There’s something I’d like to ask.”

“Mhm…”, the little girl kept on reading, but her murmur served enough of an answer to me.

“Do all ghosts or spirits have conscious minds like yours?”

This question has been bogging my mind for a good while now, ever since I met her my head had been asking questions after questions.

First of all, she is a member of the same race, or rather connected to the same race as mine. By the fact that we are spirit related beings.

I had gotten rid of a spirit or rather a ghost once before, back when I first came here. I had found some nasty spirit of a dog that almost chewed my arm out!

And then there was that certain dungeon, where some of the monsters were ghosts. Meanwhile, they didn’t seem to have consciousness, I still felt like I needed to ask this.

The little girl looked up from her book.

“Why is it you’re asking?”, she said with her eyes locked on mine.

“…it’s because—“

“If it is to ease up your thoughts on the extermination of spirit related monsters overall, then I’ll explain.”

“…”

She held her book down.

“You are correct, ghosts and other spirit like entities are to be judged as monsters. Normal spirits are inoffensive, mainly due to the fact that they are unable to physically affect their surroundings.”, she explained.

“Ghosts are classified as monsters due to their actions after death, the main factor to becoming a ghost are deep feelings of resentment or wrath towards someone. And once they become evil ghosts you usually don’t even have senses of your own, and move on instinct alone.”

“So, then why is it you’re conscious? Or of sane mind, if you don’t mind me asking.”

The little girl, looked to her left towards the door connecting back into the mansion.

“All spirits that met the tragedy to evolve into ghost, lose their conscious mind due to their memories of how they were once alive.”, she now looked at me.

“In my case, I do not know.”

“…?”

“I have no recollections of when I was alive, but for some reason. I am still sane, and consciously aware  of everything.”, she said with a forlorn gaze.

“I see…”, I was unable to continue asking, thinking about the sensitive topic.

“Don’t worry, it’s been like this… for quite a long time now.”, she sensed my worry, and reassured me.

It felt weird, my target spoke to me, with absolute no problem whatsoever. I had thought I might need to fight against the ghost, considering my Intel on spirits.

“Then, why is it that they persecuted you?”, I proceeded to ask the next question, with the green lights give by the ghost herself.

“If you have a conscious mind and will shouldn’t they—“

“It’s because I’m a monster.”, she responded.

‘So that’s how it is…’

Just like in Dawnwell, Demi humans and any other races that are not human, aren’t really welcomed. People are scared of the unknown, in the case of monsters anything as long as it has horns or is dangerous looking it might as well be described as a monster.

“Why don’t you answer me something?”, the ghost girl said, looking at me.

“Why is it, that you’re talking with me?”

“Well, mainly due to the fact that there are some things I’d like to ask. And the other being that I have nothing else to do.”

Going back wouldn’t really help me, and it’s about to be night and I’d rather not have to leave while the moon is out.

Monsters or even Bandits may attack me out of nowhere, although it’s not a problem since I can also fly, but arriving at the middle of the night wouldn’t be really be smart, especially since on both sides, there isn’t much I can do in my free time.

“I see, so I must be some sort of device meant to dispel your boredom?”, she asked.

“Huh? No, that’s not it. I—“

“I was just joking, I didn’t actually mean it.”, she suddenly stopped me, her face practically saying ‘can’t you get a joke? Jeez’.

“Oh—.”

‘I can’t get a read on her… at first I thought she was one of those typical bookworm characters, don’t speak much…’

“So, you wanted to ask me questions. You are free to proceed.”, she told, and flipped yet another page on her book.

Okay, here we go.

“Do you know what the skill ‘Materialization’ do? And what is it exactly?”

She has the skill, I noticed it when we first met.

“The skill materialization allows, as the names says the materialization of the spirit or soul. But that’s all it does, it makes the body physical.”

“Do all spirits or ghosts have it?”

“Mostly ghosts, the acquisition is varied. It can be acquired by evolving or forcefully by using pure shaped mana to fill out spirit form like a mold. Have you ever read fairy tails or folklore? It’s been said that you can’t touch ghosts, but they can touch you. That’s how it works.”

“What spirits have the skill?”

“From what I know, it’d have to be spirits that evolved into something different from ghosts. If not, then it’d be just ghosts themselves the only ones who owned the skill.”

“Do you know the evolved forms of ‘Materialization’?”

“I only know the next stage, which is ‘Embodiment’.”, she responded.

“What is ‘Embodiment’?”

“It allows you to keep a ‘Materialized’ form at all times, that means under the circumstances that you lose control over the mana circulating in your body, you’ll still stay materialized with a physical body.”

“How do you know all this?”

“I’ve learned.”

“How long have you been here?”

“I don’t know, I didn’t count.”

“What’re you doing here?”

“…”

“…”

Suddenly the spurt of questions faded along with the silence covering the whole surface of the garden.

The only thing to be hard was the air brushing on the leaves gently and subtly.

“I’m sorry, I overstepped my boundaries.”, I apologized to her, acknowledging that it was my carelessness that led to the end of the conversation.

“Ah, it’s no problem. I was the one who purposed all of this, you just caught me off guard with the unexpected amount of questions.”

We both came to an agreement.

“From what it seems, you don’t know much about your own race, why don’t you tell me, what you’re race is?”

“I’m a ‘Demon Soul Knight’.”

I had no reason to hide it, especially since my cover was already blown and it didn’t seem like she was able to leave this mansion.

The little ghost girl showed a quizzical expression. “I never heard of such race before…”

“Guessed as much.”, I sighed in disappointment.

“But from what I can tell, you have the skill ‘Soul Form’?”, my hopes were suddenly raised by her question alone.

“Yes I do.”, I responded. “Do you know what it does?”

“Not much, other than its similar to ‘Spirit Form’.”, she racked her brain for information, while I sort of squirmed on my seat with anticipation.

“‘Spirit Form’ allows the spirit to own a half-materialized form, the spirit takes after your mental appearance of yourself, or in a way imagine it like the mold that represents your body.”

“The ‘Spirit Form’ is still invisible to the human eye, but you will have a more appealing appearance to your previous life’s. However as to ‘Soul Form’, it is a little complicated…”

She looked at her own hands.

“The soul is the core of ones being, it represents very being and existence. I don’t own the skill itself, but I can suspect that it will create a half-materialized form of your soul.”

“But what is the difference between spirit form and soul form?”, I asked her.

“Ugh, I don’t know much all I can do is give you vague guesses.”

“From what I know, it’s a skill that will create a half-materialized form of your soul. And if the soul gets affected your status will be lowered…”

“But—“

“If there’s something that I do know is that it takes the shape of your very being, what you were, once were and are.”

She finished explaining, I did not pursue any further questions, except for one last one.

“How do you know all this?”

It truly surprised me, the sheer amount of information she had.

“I…”

She wanted to speak, but she stopped, as if something had grasped her words.

“I do not know.”

 

Here is the missing chapter of last week, or rather the chapter that actually belonged to this week. Making chapters has gotten so hard, especially since I have so many things going on at the moment, and I can't stop giving all of them 100% of my time. Mainly because if I drop one of my responsibilities... my life will be blown way like dust...

Don't worry, nothing overly serious. I just recently got Hu Tao! LETS GOOO. She is so freaking overpowered, her damn thrust deals more damage than her ultimate, and with her ultimate alone I got 50k damage in Genshin!

I still have a couple of wishes left, nearly enough for me to get another 5* character. Unfortunately, I hit the pity in the standard banner and got Jean... she's... needless to say, useless. I don't like sword characters except for Qiqi and MC, since I got used to quick attackers like Hu Tao.

Shiro has just found a person just like him, a spirit of nearly the same race, what will happen next????

Tune in on the next chapter of "you know the name of the novel", where he'll begin learning a little bit more about the ghost in the abandoned mansion!

13