Chapter 12
339 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Oliver looked out the window at the darkening clouds. "You'd better bring your umbrella, they announced a downpour on the radio," said Oliver's mom Sally. Oliver continued eating his cereal, thinking there was still an hour before Tony arrived. Oliver went up to his room, where a black ironed suit was waiting for him, which he began to put on, and then his mother came over.

 

 

"How's it going, do you need help?" She asked with concern, seeing him struggle with his tie.

 

"Maybe a little, I can't concentrate on anything lately," he said, resigned. He had a conversation with Max, Henry's mother, who told them of his death and invited him to a funeral this afternoon.

 

Tony was waiting in the car outside Oliver's house, persistently staring at his watch when he finally saw Oliver with a bouquet of flowers. Together they were supposed to attend the funeral of Henry, their childhood friend who died two days ago.

 

Oliver opened the front door of Tony's car, then tossed the bouquet into the backseat and sat in the front, extending his hand to Tony to greet him. "Have you been waiting long?" Oliver asked.

 

"No, but get in or we'll be late," Tony said impatiently.

 

"Hard to believe it, huh? You plan to play basketball together one day and the next day he dies in an accident," Oliver said.

 

"The investigation is ongoing, but my uncle works in the police and told me quite suspicious things, apparently some parts of the elevator were corroded as if they had been lying in salted water for a hundred years, and the elevator itself was not more than five years old, they suspect sabotage, but there are no witnesses or any traces, and the method of sabotage remains unknown, all suspects have an alibi, "Tony said angrily, and continued their conversation until they arrived at the scene.

 

 

Oliver forgot to bring his umbrella, so they had to share Tony's umbrella together. They joined the group of people dressed in black, where the priest performed his rituals.

 

Tony stared at the cold, wet chunk of stone as the four men carried in the closed coffin. The inscription on the tombstone said "Henry Smith born on 04/02/1999 died on 03/30/2021" Oliver laid flowers at the stone saying to Tony, "It's a pity Albert and Eve haven't come. Since they got married they haven't seen us at all."

 

"Mean, at least that's what they could do" Tony thought as he headed for the car with Oliver, watching the others headed for the restaurant, Oliver had the keys to Henry's parents' house who asked them to help pack. Henry's parents had been planning the move for some time, but his death forced them to rush the plan as the house gave them too many painful memories.

 

They both stopped in front of the door of their ex-friend's house where the five of them once got together to play D&D. "Henry was a good DM" Oliver thought as he put the key in the lock, they found a lot of empty boxes inside, which they took with them passing a lot of photos on one of them they saw eight-year-old Henry with the caption "Henry's first birthday in his new home 04/02/2007" was made the same year he was adopted, a year later they became friends.

 

Tony stared at the door marked with dots and dates, then turned the handle. In front of them appeared a room covered with pages, many of them depicted drawings of various places and monsters that could easily be called fantastic, on the left was a shelf filled with books, the subject of which was easy to guess, on the top shelf was a collection of figurines, often were used in party games, between them, it was easy to see a figurine of a pink knight holding roses instead of a sword, it was a gift from Eve to Henry.

 

Opposite the door was Henry's desk filled with notebooks and drawing supplies, Tony and Oliver went to the desk collecting everything in boxes "Look at this" Oliver pointed to the thick book in the center of the desk titled "Mine"

 

 

"It must be that famous book that killed him" Oliver laughed.

 

 

"You really think this is funny?" Tony said angrily.

 

"No, sorry I just…"

 

"I understand, I forgive you, it's not easy for me either," Tony said, taking the book in his hand, which he had dropped after it burned him.

 

"Ah," Tony shouted.

 

"What happened?" Oliver said in surprise.

 

"It burned me"

 

 

"Don't be kidding, this is not funny," Oliver said, at the same time the book opened, turning quickly the pages. Tony and Oliver stared in terror and amazement at each other as the entire room began to spin.

 
What is better ?
  • Wolf Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Bird Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Fox Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mermaid Votes: 6 23.1%
Total voters: 26
3