Chapter 9
280 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

June 1, 2010

A couple of months have passed since the chat with Coulson, and the world moved on once again, from Tony Stark declaring himself Ironman to Vanko's attack in Monaco.

After realizing how selfish I am, I decided to stay here, while working on my magic with Viviana and sparring with the rest of the Hunters, waiting for something to happens.

I spent a lot of this time trying to understand the change I have gone through during the months I passed in my wolf form; my ability to use magic has increased together with the control of my domain, which has evolved enough to provide some powers, as I have experimented that night.

Now I understand that the animal and travel parts of my domain have provided me two abilities, shapeshifting and teleporting respectively.

Learning how to shape-shift is extremely fun to be truthful, the ability to turn into any animal gives a lot of freedom, flying in the sky in as a hawk, swimming as a killer whale under the north polar cap or running as a wolf in the forest are one of the most liberating things I have ever done.

And it's even more fun if you don't only turn into an animal, but keep the increased density and all the physical enhancement that it brings, I mean flying is fun, but flying at supersonic speed is exhilarating.

Teleporting on the other side is less fun, is like moving through a layer, or creating a ripple in space, starting from one point and stepping to another one, fast and efficient.

I believe that I will be able to use it in combat someday, it will be difficult, but possible if I can increase the control of my domain, after all, I will need to make a lot of small distance jumps.

The energy needed to travel increase with the distance, even if its growth seems logarithmic, and I should already be able to leave the planet, even if I will need some reference point to calibrate the teleport, most of the space is empty after all, and even if teleporting in a place with no oxygen, heat or anything else will not kill me in a small amount of time, drifting in space doesn't seem a fun experience.

To prevent this kind of situation I decided to leave a spatial mark on this house with a spell thought me by Viviane, to be always able to return here if needed, it's always better to be prepared.

While I am thinking of my progress I hear my telephone ringing, an unusual thing, as no one should have my phone number, and I only know of one agency with the means and the motive to call me, and only one man will consider it worthy to do so.

"Agent Coulson, how can I help you?" I ask as I answer the phone.

"Good morning, Mr. Montanari, I'm calling because we need an expert on history, and I remembered you offer, are you interested?" He replies, my suggestions working as they should.

"Sure, I am happy to help, where do you need me?" I say to the phone.

"Puente Antiguo, New Mexico, should I send you a plane?" He answers my question, offering me a ride.

"No need, I could arrive at the city in a couple of hours, could you leave me a man there?" I refuse his offer as I try to plan for the trip,

"Ok, I will dispatch a man to the gas station of Puente Antiquo, you will find an SUV with the S.H.I.E.L.D symbol, you will recognize them."Phil give me exactly what I need for my planning, giving me a time and a place to reach.

"Then I'll see you in a couple of hours" I give him the estimated time to reach the middle of the US.

"Thanks for your availability" he gives me a ritual phrase.

"Thank you for the call, I'm happy to help," I say before ending the call.

I already know that I can fly at supersonic speed as a hawk, now let's see how fast I can fly...

--------------------------------------------------------

Two hours and a half later I reach New Mexico, the half used mostly to adjust the route, it's unsurprisingly difficult to maintain your direction in the middle of the ocean.

When I reach that city, I return to my human form while being covered by an illusion, unseen by everyone else, and then I walk to the agreed point.

There I find my ride, and several minutes later the SUV reaches a newly created structure, a fenced circular camp-lab created around a crater.

The moment that we enter the lab, I am brought to Agent Coulson, and I find him watching a hammer on a screen, with several scientists working around him.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Coulson, I'm here, how can I help you? You needed consultation on what?" I spoke with him after shaking his hand.

"That hammer fell from the sky, no one was able to move it, and it's covered with symbols that to us seem Norse or something similar, we want to know more about it, could you study it?" He replies, starting to lists the characteristics of the thing in the middle of the crater.

"I could try, can I see the symbols?" I make him a proposition, wanting to see the object.

"These are the photos, for security reasons we don't let people near it, are these symbols familiar to you?" He asks after giving me an envelope full of symbol pictures.

I start studying them, and after a couple of minutes I start speaking about my analysis "They are indeed similar to Norse symbols, but they are slightly different, a derivative form maybe, but the strange part is what you said about falling from the sky and not being able to move it, even if it's not my field of research."

"Yes it did fall tonight, during a storm, nothing we have is able to scratch its exterior nor move it" he keeps adding information about the hammer.

"So, an indestructible strange object of unknown origin, covered with pseudo-Norse symbols?" I ask while thinking that this thing is most likely Asgardian, as it has all the characteristics.

"More or less, can you understand them?" Coulson answers with another question.

"Not yet, but I can try studying them, I will give you something in a couple of hours." As I already know the answer to a question that I shouldn't be able to answer now I have to pretend to study until I find something harmless to tell them.

"Than start working Mr. Montanari," he orders.

"Yes, sir" I answer with the desire to annoy.

--------------------------------------------------------

Several hours have passed since the start of my research, and now I am quite certain that the hammer is an Asgardian weapon, enchanted and imbued with powerful magic, possibility even the hammer that has inspired Mjolnir from the Norse mythology.

If I am right the Asgardians will come to take it back soon enough, maybe even the god of thunder himself, a good chance to see someone similar to myself, I could even follow them to Asgard if they offer me a ride.

As I think about a possible travel location, I hear the sound of an alarm, indicating they arrive of an intruder, probably the Asgardian I was wondering about.

Well, let's wait and see if this is my lucky day...

6