Chapter 3. The Third Party
366 7 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

5:38 PM, Wednesday evening:

The sounds of steel clashing against steel filled the air. War Cries mixed in with screams of pain flooded over the surrounding plains. Arrows whistled through the air and struck against the steel armor of knights, bouncing off as if they were nothing more than rain-drops from the Heavens. The battle over the control of a castle was reaching its apex.

During the midst of the surrounding chaos, two warriors atop a rampart adorned in armors that were covered in blood, fiercely released their war cries as they charged towards one another.

Their charges came to a halt as their swords collided, creating a loud ringing noise that pierced the air.

The two began their duel as they attempted to slash one another with their blades. The raw power that was behind each of their strikes caused the air to distort and create a distinct whistling sound.

Simply put, it was a battle in which one wrong move would have either of these warriors dead on the ground. Their strikes were unparalleled in terms of precision and power, yet their timely parries and swift dodges were just enough to avoid having their blood spilled out onto the ground.

Alas, there can only be one winner in a fight like this…

They both attempted to strike one another at the exact same moment.

The two swords interlocked; both knights released grunts as they attempted to best one another in the sudden contest of strength.

Suddenly, one of the knights let up in the struggle, side-stepping away, causing the other knight to trip over as he did not correct his posture in time.

The knight that had tripped quickly attempted to regain his balance, but not before a great-sword came slicing through his neck. Relieving his body of his head…

The knight’s lifeless body fell to the ground, and the other knight released a war cry at his sudden victory!

 

 

 

 

~~~~

 

{Game Over}

 

 

"Ahh~, for the love of-." DOM...

Cassie voiced her dissatisfaction of the result while plopping her head onto her desk.

*I imagine you will be attempting to try and win this battle of yours once more, making it a total of 32 times in a row. If you are in need of assistance, I have already completely studied the enemy’s movement and attack patterns… 15 attempts ago.*

'No!' Cassie yelled in her head while grabbing another oatmeal cookie and stuffing it into her mouth, 'I will slice that bastard up with my own talent if it's the last thing I do!'

She steeled her nerves, chewed her cookie and furiously began to type on her keyboard and click her mouse. Cassie was determined to not let this game get the best of her!

Her character respawned at the previous checkpoint and drew it's longsword once again as it began to run back into combat.

“Come at me hoe! I will break your knee caps!” Casse exclaimed as she poured every ounce of her concentration into the game.

.

.

.

Eventually...

 

{Game Over}

 

 

"... I am just gonna go jump off a bridge now." Cassie voiced as she stood up from her chair.

She grabbed her now empty drinking glass along with the multitude of empty bags of crisps, cookies, and other various snacks.

She then walked over to a shadow at the corner of her room and morphed into it, teleporting herself right into the kitchen.

"Ah!" As she arrived, carrying a large amount of rubbish, her father exclaimed in surprise.

"Wha- What are you doing to my floor?!" He pointed towards the crumbs which were dropping onto the floor.

"Eh..." Cassie took a second to think of what to say before stuffing her rubbish into the bin and grabbing a broom and dustpan from her father’s hands. Perhaps he was planning on sweeping just now.

“I will sweep for you~!” Cassie voiced in a cheery tone as she smiled awkwardly while beginning to sweep.

"Uh-huh… Yeah... Then you can finish up by mopping this floor within an inch of its life.” Charles added while seeing how guilty she was feeling about making a bigger mess.

“Mop?” Cassie paused at the word.

“Yes, I want you to make this floor so clean that one would be able to eat off it!" Charles stated while waving his hand throughout the kitchen.

Cassie then looked at her father and questioned his logic, "...But we have plates."

Charles's face hardened a bit more at her comment.

"Smartassery is not accepted within this premise, chief." He scolded her and then walked towards the hallway. "Now get that floor clean and get a shower. Chop Chop!"

Cassie popped an eyebrow up, "Chop Chop?” She questioned her father’s phrasing as she went to the closet that contained all the cleaning products and the mop.

*Do you need assistance in mopping, Cassie?* Stevie offered in his regular robotic like tone.

'What kind of question is that? No! I can mop a floor, Stevie. I am not inept.' She responded inwardly, quite offended by his offer.

*Well, since you could not best an inferior A.I. at a video game with only 6,000 variations of movements and attack combinations, I figured you would need help with this menial task you have been assigned. I am happy to be wrong at this notion of mine, however.*

Cassie's face twitched at the quick jab Stevie delivered.

She then bent down and grabbed a few bottles of cleaning products. She looked over all of them and was a tad bit uncertain as to what she should use… In fact, she was lost. She had never been asked to mop a floor since she was born into this world!

'... Stevie,' She spoke in her mind.

*The green and blue bottle, mix them in with some water.*

'... Thanks' She responded meekly.

 

 

~~~~

 

 

“So you are saying it was an Illusionist?” Charles was in the middle of a conversation with one of the mages that was in charge of reviewing the magic signatures that were recovered from the recent parking lot incident.

“Yes, Detective. From the density of the mana samples, we were able to recover retrieved, we estimate his mana reserves are around .500, perhaps even higher. It’s also quite remarkable at how flexible and mature it is, this fellow should be quite old… 40’s, maybe even mid 50’s. I had to take a few extra readings to verify my estimations.” The mage on the phone confirmed Charles's question with data he had on hand.

Charles sighed while scratching his chin.

“Regardless, the mana sample was not enough to uncover his identity? … So that must mean he has never been caught before, or he is new in town. We know for a fact he is a proficient killer, experienced… I am certain this character is from out of town. I recommend we do a search with other departments across the various states. Ask them for information regarding your samples and such.”

“Yes Detective, I have personally requested most precincts in all 13 states to do a rundown on our samples. The Commissioner already came to the very same conclusion you did… Great minds think alike and all. We should have an answer by tomorrow morning, afternoon at the latest.” The mage thoroughly replied.

“Very well, thanks for the update. Continue to keep me posted via telepathy.” Charles thanked the mage and then promptly cut the call.

He stood in front of a full body mirror within his room and began to preen himself while sifting through the data that was telepathically sent to him a few moments ago.

‘This man is quite good… Capable of taking out a large group of people by using magic to kill them mentally. He causes all sorts of chemicals to be produced simultaneously within the brain essentially causing it to fry itself in a matter of seconds… That is a neat trick in and of itself. I wonder how he does it? Could it be a spell he developed, maybe it is somehow attached to his Gift?’

Charles applied a few different hair sprays and then walked over to his closet.

‘Illusion magic is not something to be taken lightly, sure, but to be able to turn it into a proficient tool for killing a large group like that… This character tempered his mana reserves to the point of being registered at .500, or even more, on the magic power scale… It might not even be too far fetched to claim we are dealing with a fellow who just simply uses a bit of his magic power to cook a human brain… Still, there are far too many questions that I have yet to pair with any answers. If I had a name or even a face, I am sure I could do more.’

While deep in his thoughts, Charles chose an expensive looking brown overcoat from his closet and then slipped into it.

Charles thoughts were on his case, but his actions seemed more interested as to what he was currently wearing.

“This coat is horrendous!” He exclaimed as he took his coat off and threw back into the closet. He then attempted to find one that actually ‘fit’ with his current outfit. “I need a light colored coat~!”

He released a sigh, “I swear I need to take Cassie with me and head to a clothing store as soon as possible, this closet is far too barren!” Charles complained as he sifted through thousands of dollars worth of clothes.

 

 

~~~~

 

 

Within a mansion in a particularly wealthy community on the edge of the city, two middle-aged men, one human the other an elf, were sitting across from one another with grim expressions on their faces.

The human was Harper Kinahan, an Irish Mob leader. The elf was an Italian Mafia boss, Federico Beretta.

The conversation they were currently having was based on a deal of theirs that had gone south just this afternoon.

"So... you say none of your men made it out alive as well, huh?" Federico took two drinking glasses and put them onto the desk that was between the two of them.

"That is quite encouraging to hear. It would appear we were both screwed over... Unless you are telling me stories." He poured some alcohol into his glass but paused before pouring some into Harper's.

Based on this man's answer, he will either pour the drink or swear to put him into his grave.

"All my men that went there are dead. You can have your people check the police reports, or read tomorrow's paper. I sent fifteen and fifteen are dead." Harper spoke with a straight face, he was attempting to be as convincing as possible, because he was telling the truth.

Federico looked at him with a questioning gaze for just a few seconds... but then he started pouring a drink for Harper.

He was convinced. Neither of them attempted to pull a fast one on the other. An unknown third-party had intervened, and that party will now have the entire undivided attention of the Red Veil City Irish Mob and Italian Mafia.

"Then, Harper Monroe... Let us hunt for the heads of these snakes, so that they may no longer live freely within our precious gardens." Federico held his glass up towards Harper, and in return, Harper held his glass up towards Federico. The two men then drank.

"The police will eventually uncover the identities of our men sooner or later, and then they will turn their attention on us while looking for answers. So until the heat dies down, I am halting my people’s smuggling operations. In the meantime, our focus is going to be on trying to find out who else was present at that parking lot." Harper spoke while placing his glass back onto the desk.

"A sensible plan," Federico responded, "However, I will not be personally looking for these fellows. I am bringing in the services of an expert. A hitman from New York, a specialist in getting rid of annoying flies."

Harper nodded his head as he responded to Federico "I don't care how or who does it, I just want them dead. Be it your hitman, or my men, whoever is behind the sword; it does not make a difference to me."

Federico smirked and then finished off his drink.

"Then we have nothing more to discuss, I will be in touch later this week... Oh yes, I will be sending you the bill for my new doors by the way."

Harper just scoffed as he threw a fistful of hundred-dollar bills onto Federico’s desk.

"No need," Harper then walked out of the study with those words as his goodbye.

'That won't even be enough to buy me a new lock.' Federico frowned as he looked at the meager amount. He then watched as Harper walked out of his study.

After he left, Federico turned his attention back onto his desk as he pulled out a single sheet of paper and placed a rune-coated rock on top of it.

He then wrote these words: [Have you found him yet?]
The rune lit up after he stopped writing for a few seconds. The words that were on the paper were absorbed by it and transferred elsewhere.

After a few minutes, a reply came. The rune lit up once more and words were imprinted onto the page.

[I have a suspect in mind which matches your description.]

Federico smirked and then wrote a reply.

[Just name your price, I want you to bury this man as soon as possible.]

The words were then absorbed by the rune and transferred once again.
A few seconds later, the reply came.

[I won’t be able to kill him if that is your man I am thinking of. I will inform you of his identity at no charge if that is the case. I will investigate further in order to confirm my suspicions.]

Federico was quite puzzled by these words...
‘Someone the Banshee cannot even kill?... What sort of snake has made its way into my garden?’

More words suddenly popped onto the paper as Federico was in the midst of his thought process.

[I will contact you in two days. Have your stone active at 5 P.M. If you are late, I will charge you for the information.]

He put the pen down and did not bother replying. He put his hands together and just stared at the words that were on the paper.

He then took the paper and crumpled it up into a ball and threw it away.

‘If you can’t kill him, I will find someone who can!’

He resolutely decided and then deactivated his runes.

 

 

 

~~~~

 

 

7:17 P.M. Wednesday Night:

 

‘So Alexa is one of those weirdos that doesn’t have the decency to reply to a message?’ Cassie thought to herself as she stared at the two blue ticks next to the message she had sent earlier today.

*There is a possibility she was overcome with emotions at the prospect of receiving aid. Perhaps she was so thankful she did not know what to say?*

“Hmm…” Cassie thought for a moment and then shook her head, ‘She does not strike me as someone who can be overcome with emotions. She is pretty headstrong.’

*A distinct possibility. Regardless, we have done our part of the bargain per our agreement. Now we just need to bring the weapon tomorrow morning, have her enchant it with the darkness attribute, and we shall be set to begin our dungeon diving after your graduation.*

‘Dungeon diving…’ Cassie’s heart skipped a beat. She could feel the color draining from her face.

*Do not fret, Cassie. Dungeon diving in this world is far more simple than you are currently envisioning. In fact, with the right strategy in hand, one can easily overcome a horde of Goblins and magical beasts. Also, do not forget you have access to U.M.C.’s standard issue firearms. We shall be more than fine.*

‘Yeah…’ Cassie was in the middle of envisioning a few absolute worst-case scenarios. Goblin hordes…. Magical Beasts… Yeah, she was not having a pleasant time.

“Are you alright?” Charles asked, currently the two of them were standing at one of the exits at Red Veil City airport. This was the exit which the arrivals from London will be coming from after they retrieve their luggage.

“… I’m fine.” Cassie responded, her skin was slightly pale and she appeared to be sweating.

Charles frowned and placed his hand on her forehead to see if she was developing a temperature. As things were right now, it would be detrimental for her to get sick right now.

“Dad, I’m fine,” She tried to push his hand away with a chuckle, “Really, I’m not sick.”

While they were in the midst of their slight tussle, a brown-haired woman wearing a black overcoat and blue jeans walked up to them pulling a suitcase behind her.

“Charles, is that you?” The woman asked while taking a look at the well-groomed man who was currently trying to force his hand onto his slightly pale looking daughter’s forehead.

“Yes?” Charles turned his head, “Ah! Olivia, welcome!”

He quickly let go of Cassie’s arm and greeted his cousin.

“... Might I ask why you came with just a carry-on? You are staying for a few months right?” He questioned while taking note of the single suitcase in her possession.

Olivia sighed in response, “They lost my luggage apparently… not sure how an Airline can do that when it was just a single direct flight from Heathrow to here.”

“Tsk,” Charles clicked his tongue, “What a shame~. Well, I had planed on doing some shopping, I will just have to buy you a new wardrobe as well~. Do not worry, my dear Cousin, we shall take care of you!” Charles stated as he appeared to be in a very good mood. The prospect of shopping for something new was always a good thing in his eyes.

Olivia chuckled and then responded, “No, Charles, you don’t need to go that far... I already gave the airline your address. They will send the luggage on the next flight in two days and they will bring it right over to your house.”

Charles halted for a moment and pursed his lips, “I see…” He then cleared his throat and continued, “Then two days worth of clothing, not to worry dear Cousin. We shall take care of you. Now, we shall go get some dinner. You must be starved.”

Olivia sighed and shook her head as she laughed, ‘You have not changed one bit…’

“Hey, Cousin Olivia is it true you are going to be a teacher at the Cadet Academy.” Suddenly, Cassie walked over and tried to take Olivia’s carry-on.

“Uh, no… Nothing is for certain yet. I am just looking for a job at either the Academy or one of the Guilds, but yeah, I am looking for a position as a teacher. The Cadet Academy just so happened to invite me over for an interview is all.” She responded while letting go of the carry-on and allowing Cassie to take it.

“Well, if you don’t like the Cadet Academy, I am trying to get into the Red Coat Guild… If my dad will just sign the contract, I will be set to go as soon as I graduate from the Academy in a few weeks.” Cassie added on with a disgruntled look aimed at Charles. “If you do decide on applying at the Red Coat Guild, maybe we can see each other more often from time to time.” Cassie then looked back at Olivia with a huge smile.

‘Well, good to see Cassie is still as cute as ever.’ Olivia had one eyebrow propped up while looking at Charles.

“You have not signed her Guild contract yet? Charles, you know there is a whole lot of preparations you are going to have to do after you sign. You could end up holding her back for a year at this rate!” Olivia was quite passionate about nurturing talents and doing her part to further the development of the ‘next generation’ as they are often referred to as.

Charles just rolled his eyes slightly and started walking back to the car.
“I know what I am doing, I am making sure she does not rush into anything. Anyways, you don’t mind Italian food, do you? Cassie is requesting we go to an Italian restaurant.”

Olivia sighed once more as she followed Charles. ‘Now I know you have not changed… Stubborn mule.’

“Italian is perfect, it’s my favorite after all!” Olivia replied with a smile.

“Ha!” Cassie exclaimed in mockery as she pointed at Charles, “Told you so!”

Charles twitched slightly but he kept on moving towards the car in silence as he listened to Cassie explain that he had said French food was Olivia’s favorite earlier that day.

 

 

*Author's Note*

 

Hello once again, so I was finally able to upload this chapter. I finished it yesterday, but due to a sudden finish of a side-project, I had to delay it until today. Sorry for that, but I hope/pray you will like what is down below. More will be on the way soon!

8