S.S. 1. Welcome Home
267 12 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was like any other Monday morning.

The birds were singing outside, the skies were looking fairly clear, there were hardly any clouds which hindered the sunlight as it freely covered Red Veil City.

The streets of Red Veil were particularly calm around this time of the morning, usually, most people had already made their way to their respective places of employment.

Within the back of a silver four-door sedan, a young 3-year-old girl was strapped into her car seat. She stared outside the window with a smile on her face. She appeared to be quite happy; her green eyes were bright and cheery, almost as if they were sparkling.

"We are almost there Cassie," The social worker who was driving the car said as she looked into the rear-view mirror, she gave a warm smile as she looked at the young girl.

Cassie looked forward and smiled, "Okay!" She replied in a cheery tone as she hugged a stuffed animal which was in her arms.

She appeared to be quite happy... but that was only on the outside.

*Everything alright, Cassie?* A familiar robotic voice filled her mind as it spoke.

'Yeah... I'm just-... just a tad bit nervous is all. I never really experienced anything like this before.' She responded internally. Her eyes fell onto the stuffed animal in her arms. The hands which were holding it were a bit sweaty, and they were slightly shaking as well.

*There is no need to be nervous, Cassie. Everything will go well. You must keep your chin up,  be sure to smile. Also, be friendly... but most importantly... be yourself.* Stevie gave the best advice that he could come up with.

Cassie, in response, took a deep breath and closed her eyes. 'Thank you, Stevie.'

 

~~~~

 

Within a cozy two-story house, the abode of Charles and Mary Mariner, a sharp looking young man, who was in his mid-twenties, was looking at himself in the mirror. His eyes were looking over the suit he was currently wearing, he had a particularly sharp gaze as he was looking over this particular seat of clothing.

'No good!' He finally came to a conclusion as he quickly tried to take off the suit jacket, 'You must look friendly, welcoming! This is your daughter Charles, you must appear to be warm and welcoming.'

"What in the world-... Charles!" The voice of a woman suddenly broke his train of thought.

"Ah! Mary, I need your assistance! Does blue count as a more friendly color? I have always found darker colors to be the way to go, but I am not so sure with children... Perhaps you know? We did paint Cassie's room a light blue, but I do not own any clothing that is light blue... This is a catastrophe!" While he was in the middle of his rant, Mary looked over their bed and noticed that Charles had gone through about twelve pairs of clothes by the looks of it.

She just sighed as she walked over to her husband.

"Charles," She spoke as she helped take the suit jacket off of him, "This is a 3-year-old child, our child... She will not care about your clothes!"

Charles turned with a questioning look in his eyes, "So what then, you recommend that I-" 

Before he could finish his words...

"I recommend," She held her index finger over his lips, "That you should be yourself. What do you want to wear, what would you wear? Ask yourself that." She tapped his chest as she spoke.

"Children care about how they are treated, not how their parents look. They don't have a fashion sense like you, Detective~." She finished off her statement with a sarcastic tone as she gave Charles a quick kiss on the lips.

"Now, get dressed into something you like and get into the living room. Ms. Rosewood should be here with Cassie soon enough." She was walking out of the room as she spoke, "Oh, right. Charles," She turned before she completely walked out.

"Yes, dear?" Charles responded with an anxious expression.

"You are putting all those clothes back, right?" She asked inquisitively as she pointed to the bed.

"Uh," Charles looked and saw all the previous outfits he tried on, "Ye-... Yes, I shall take care of it." He responded fairly resolutely.

"Good, I will be in the living room. Hurry up, okay?" She shot him a smile and then walked out of the room.

Charles sighed as he turned back around and looked into the mirror. He closed his eyes and tried to calm his nerves. 'It will be fine, It will go well.' He told himself as he reopened his eyes and began browsing for an outfit. '... It will be fine if I could just find a damned outfit!'

 

~~~~ 

 

The car pulled up to the cozy, two-story house. The engine was then switched off as the care came to a full stop.

Cassie's green eyes stared intently at the charming looking house. It looked pleasant enough, something like she would have imagined. As she was admiring it, she heard a woman's voice.

"Are you ready, Cassie?" Ms. Rosewood asked as she caringly looked at the young girl.

"Yes! ... I'm ready." She then turned her attention to the house. Her heart skipped a beat as she saw the door open. Two figures were promptly walking out of the door and onto the driveway.

 

~~~~ 

 

As Charles was busy preening himself in front of the mirror, he heard a shout from the other side of the house.

"Charles! She's here, you better hurry up, quickly now!" After he heard these words, he did a quick check over his appearance and after he was satisfied, he ran out of his room and into the living room.

"Am I fine? Mary, do I look alright? I want to be perfect. Am I perfect?" As he was in a panic, Mary rolled her eyes.

"Wet your lips." She responded sarcastically.

Charles then quickly licked his lower and upper lips, "Now?" He asked with an anxious expression.

"Oh Charles, stop it!" Mary slapped his arm and shook her head. 

The sound of car brakes squeaking could be heard just outside. Charles's heart began to beat a little bit faster, adding to his nervousness. 

Mary then took the lead as she walked out of the house in a calm and cool manner, befitting an attorney's personality. Charles quickly followed up behind her. He was constantly telling himself to calm down as he walked out.

An older woman opened the door to the driver seat and walked out. She gave a short wave to the couple as she walked around the car to the rear door.

They could see a small face in the backseat of the car taking quick, short peeks at them. It was, of course, their daughter, Cassie.

Ms. Rosewood came around and opened the rear door. A small, 3-year-old girl quickly came sliding out of the car, onto her feet.

 

~~~~ 

 

"Oh! Looks like you didn't need help getting out, did you grab all your things love?" Ms. Rosewood asked as she looked into the back-seat.

"I have everything." Cassie nodded her head as she spoke.

Her eyes were focused on the driveway in front of her. From this height, everything looked further away, but this felt as if it would be the longest walk of her life. Her little heart was pounding like a small drum as she was attempting to find some courage.

*Keep your head up, you will be fine.* Stevie brought in some support as she was beginning to deal with some butterflies once again.

She heaved a small sigh and began walking forward. She had a small back-pack in one hand and a stuffed animal in the other. As she began walking Ms. Rosewood followed closely behind.

 

~~~~

 

Charles was as stiff as a statue. His outward appearance was quite tame, but on the inside, he was a wreck.

'Will she like me? What if she hates me? What will I do? She is adorable! She looks marvelous in blue! Please don't hate me...'

Mary was standing next to him with a charming smile on her face. She glanced over at Charles and then slightly frowned while nudging him with her elbow.

"Charles, smile!" She shouted in a hushed voice. He had a non-caring look on his face, something like that might intimidate Cassie.

"Uh! Sorry," Charles then corrected his expression. After doing so, the two of them smiled warmly as they saw their daughter walking up the driveway.

After what seemed like an eternity for Charles, the young girl finally made her way up to the two.

She was wearing a blue shirt, with a cute cartoon character on it, jeans, and a cute pair of white and pink sneakers.

She looked up to the two, her expression appeared to be that of someone who was quite nervous.

"Hello,"

It was all she gave as a greeting. 

Mary quickly followed up, "Hello! You remember me, Cassie?" She bent down so she could be at eye level with Cassie.

Cassie nodded her little head in response, "Yes, Mrs. Mary. You are an attorney." 

Mary smiled and chuckled in response, "I am so glad you remember me, sweetie. You can call me Mom, okay?" She patted Cassie's head as she stood back up.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but Charles, could you come and help me with the rest of her baggage?" Ms. Rosewood asked with a smile, but Charles did not respond. It was as if he did not hear her.

Mary was quick on the uptake and stood in for him.

"I'll help, he can stay here with Cassie for the moment," Mary spoke as she chuckled nervously.

Ms. Rosewood just nodded her head and smiled.

As the two ladies walked to the car. Cassie stood there with Charles.

The two were just staring at each other.

Charles's hands were twitching ever so slightly, it also felt as if there was a large lump in his throat, keeping him from speaking.
'I-... What do I do?' He was furiously contemplating as to what he should be doing.

 

~~~~

 

Cassie was in a bit of a daze herself, she was also at a loss for words. 

'What do I do?' She thought as she was beginning to wonder if he did not like her or something. 'Why won't he say anything?'

*Remain calm, take a breath. If need be, you should say hello.* Stevie interjected her thoughts and spoke. It appeared to be effective as Cassie's thoughts began to flow.

"... Hello?" She greeted somewhat awkwardly with her cute little voice.

Charles's body shook slightly, but one could hardly notice such a thing.

He then responded, "He-... Hello, you... um, Kuhum... You... know me, right?" He asked the young girl while bending down to her height.

"Yes!" She responded almost immediately.

"Mr. Charles, you are a detective." Her cute, little voice sounded even more cute and pleasant when she spoke confidently.

Charles smiled, "Yes... I am a detective. You have a good memory. You can... Uhm..." He scratched his cheek.

"If it is alright with you, of course... Uhm, I mean..." He shook his head as he tried to get the words out.

"Argh... Sorry, uh." He was beginning to break down a little.

Cassie appeared to have gotten some courage as she spoke, "You want me to call you dad?"

Charles froze as he currently had a hand covering half his face. 

"... Yes, call me dad." As he removed his hand, it revealed a smile.

 

He then spoke as if he was making a plea...

 

"Please... call me dad."  

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Author's Note*

There will be one of these every five chapters.

(Not every five parts, as some chapters might be cut into parts.)

 

  

 

 

10