Chapter 02
366 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Takehide slept with his back to the headboard and his legs tucked under one another. With each breath, his chest slowly rose and lowered with his shoulders. At first glance, it was almost as if he had found peace within himself as if even in his dreams he knew what he would do next.

The castle was silent, there was nothing to disturb him. At least that was until he heard something move within close proximity of the bed. Still, he didn't make any outgoing movements of his own as he remained relaxed against the wall.

His eyes peeked open just a sliver, in the hidden corner of the room hardly lit by the rising sun, was a cloaked figure wearing a white mask. They had not tripped nor had they dropped something, it had only been their presence that had woken him up. In the academy's long nights of training, he became a light sleeper, so all one had to do was let out a single breath to break him free from slumber if he was suitably rested.

"Intriguing... Judging from your distance from the door and the Balcony, you were in the room for a good few seconds," Takehide observed as he sensed no ill-will from the being who immediately snapped to attention as they had been seen.

"Takehide-dono is perceptive," said the being as they stepped out into the open, revealing their indistinguishable appearance that hideaway any sign of their true identity. "I have come to you with a message, O' powerful Spear Hero... Degozaru." As they announced their purpose, they knelt down onto one leg with a hand resting on each thigh.

From what he could see, the person before him had a very feminine build and thigh-high socks. Their attire consisted mostly of black with white trim on their uniform under that cloak of theirs.

An expression of indifference reigned upon the hero's face as he stared at the person in front of the bed. "So you were detected on purpose," Takehide sighed as he drummed his fingers playfully along the shaft of his spear. "What's with the archaic samurai ending...?"

"Distance yourself from the Shield Hero degozaru," they said whilst looking over the hero from behind the blacked-out visor of their mask.

"Excuse me?" The Spear Hero's fingers curled around the shaft as his eyelids flexed discontentedly at the assumed messenger. Especially as they ignored his second question. "Ugh... This isn't something I want to hear when I first wake up," Takehide shifted his legs out from under him and stretched them forward to the wall opposite of him

"There are people who do not see all Heroes as Equal, and if you side with him, your reputation will sink along with his degozaru." The Shadow gave a simple gesture of their hand, as to seek affirmation that he understands.

His dark eyes remained on the shadow that was ahead of him, that indifferent expression had now fallen into that of a frown. 'Am I being threatened? No, this was a warning... Why would they look down on the Shield Hero?'

"You will understand in due time," the Shadow stood and turned to leave the room only to stop halfway, sensing something was off. They made a mistake as they went to face the Spear Hero again.

Takehide had already left his bed before they even noticed his movements. The head of his spear was directly under the Shadow's chin, "Who do you serve?"

The shadow immediately bounded backward, jumping twice until they reached the door to the room. "You needn't trouble yourself with such a trivial matter, heed the warning bestowed upon you, Spear Hero-dono degozaru."

Lowering his weapon, Takehide continued to frown at this interloper who had warned him of getting closer to the Shield Hero. Just why was that? Who did they serve? He wanted to hold them here and question them, but he felt as if he was only allowed to spot them this once. This folk reminded him of a Ninja, capable of powerful concealment abilities, especially as they faded into the darkness that made up the corners of the room.

In the next few seconds, he didn't sense the Shadow's presence anymore.

"Hm..." Straightening out his uniform as he placed his weapon upon his back, he could hear the rest of the castle slowly waking up with the coming of the dawn. Servants were going room to room, the smell of the hearth filled the halls as the castle was being ambiently heated. The scent of a lordly breakfast filled his nostrils quite quickly and he slowly shook his head.

"Spoiling my stomach so soon..." Takehide sternly uttered as he pressed his hand against the door to his bedroom. He could feel the people walking down the hall outside, to be more accurately, the Guards as they were changing shifts.

His hand slowly slipped down along the hardwood door and grasped the doorknob, twisting it slowly, before opening it and stepping out into the hallway. Looking both ways, he watched as each Guard stood silently in place with their halberds held erect at their sides. Just as Takehide was about to walk down the hall towards the shieldbearer's room, he paused. The overbearing feeling of a hawk eyeing him caused the hairs on the back of his neck to stand up. Casually he twisted his head to the side, glancing over his shoulder once, only to see a girl with crimson red hair and bright green eyes looking at him.

'Height and jawline don't match, she likely isn't the Ninja-wannabe...' Takehide mentally noted as he compared her to the shadow he had seen earlier. 'Though she could be involved...' He pondered to himself, not knowing who was concerned with the current operation of the heroes.

So without further adieu, he shifted his gaze away from her, as if he had never seen her, and kept going without stopping at Naofumi's door. 'I best tell him what I know and soon, but not in front of whoever that was...' Glancing over his shoulder again, he quickly noted the girl was gone. However, he was sure he was still being watched and he had no idea if the guards were in on it.

It was only reasonable that his trust could only extend to the other heroes, that was for sure. If they had noticed and even outlined his friendliness towards the Shield Hero, then they had to have been watching them. How much were they going to spy on their every progress? Were they going to dictate and manipulate them to work as they want?

They weren't going to have their way, not if he could do anything about it. As a samurai, he was honest with this conviction as he will go through with what he put his mind to.

Despite the idea of being watched by everyone seeping into every corner of his mind, he remained calm. There was nothing he felt he needed to hide, there was nothing to be nervous about, right?

Meeting the end of the hall, he glanced towards the lounge that was surrounded on all sides by three large rectangular windows. The castle town appeared to be rather vast, and while he wanted to see more, the humid warmth was giving him a slight headache.

"Takehide-san?" Naofumi spoke up behind him, having stopped on his way to the lavatory. "You're up already?" He blinked a few times and glanced back towards the other bedrooms which appeared undisturbed.

"...Be careful my friend," Takehide glanced over his shoulder again this time with a faint sorrow written on his face, "Things aren't as they seem... That is all I can say, for now, so don't leap too quickly."

"Uh... Huh..." Nodding, Naofumi shrugged it off a bit casually, "I'll see you later then?" He smiled and gave his perceptively unusual friend a light wave before rushing off to go do nature's business.

Once he was gone, the Samurai made his way down the corridor and entered a stairwell. Making his way down to the lower level, he retraced yesterday's steps back to the throne room.

He walked passed a number of young noblewomen, maids, and servants. He had even caught a glimpse of a young girl with animal ears slipping into a room with an older gentleman. For a split moment, he paused a scowl clear as day on his face. How much would he be punished for getting involved in someone else's personal affairs? Without much thought to it, Takehide walked over to the door and leaned his back against the lavish stonework that decorated the wall beside it. With his arms crossed over his chest, he pitched his head down slightly and listened as he closed his eyes.

"Put the candles down over here," a Lordly voice faded in.

"O-okay!" The female demi-human squeaked, followed by the sound of something being fumbled. There were a few quick footsteps and the sound of something metal being placed down on a counter or hard stone surface.

"Now clean the curtains, they're filthy! How can you expect the Princess to sleep in such a place!" The voice of the male who had gone into the room with the girl didn't sound pleased, but it didn't sound as if he was going to get violent.

Pushing himself from the wall, Takehide walked away from the room, moving his hands behind his back as he walked towards the direction of the throne room. "They'll likely summon us soon, might as well be the closest," he uttered to himself as he thought back to the shady person from earlier. The female who wore a cloak and uniform, he wanted to know not only who and what they were, but who they belonged to.

As he reached the central corridor and the entrance of the main hall leading into the Throne Chambers, he came to a complete halt as he watched a number of individuals march by. They were clearly all different kinds of warriors, some of them even appearing scholarly. Seeing people wearing pointed hats and cloaks ignited his imagination.

What appeared to be a teenage girl dressed in earthy vanilla and green robes, with a stereotypical wizard's hat, stopped as whispers circulated. She was clearly a magic user from what he could see, as she was wielding a sturdy wooden staff paused and turned her head. The bobble on the top appeared to be a crescent of some kind.

"Druid...?" He muttered to himself, "Or a Wizard...?" Wondering what she was, he matched her gaze as she was looking directly at him. Out of compulsion, a warm smile almost immediately enveloped his lips that caused her immediately to burst into smiles; before marching along with the others into the throne room. "Heh... So these are the best of the best?" His eyes trailed over a man wearing a cloak and another dressed in leathers. They were all adventurers, but what made him curious was, why were there so few?

Turning his head as someone going to walk passed him, he raised a brow seeing the red-haired woman with bright green eyes. It was the girl from before, but now instead of being dressed in formal attire, she seemed to be wearing gear suited for an adventurer who used a sword.

'Now that is a turn of events,' Takehide considered inwardly, getting a bad feeling, as he watched her vanish behind the massive doors to the throne chamber. 'Just who is that woman?' From how she walked, she didn't at all seem like a normal adventurer in the way she walked.

Her strut was distinguished and mighty and her nose was held high with arrogance, she was clearly of either higher descent. 'A fallen noble? Or a distinguished highly ranked adventurer? Why was she in the castle? Was she related to the Castle Lord?' His thoughts went in circles, picking apart the little bits of her characteristics that had been revealed thus far.

Due to his choice of work, he had experienced working with such people. Takehide was a natural judge of character. Imperial royalty, regional governors, and nobility, they all walked in a similar fashion. Though he couldn't, not, entertain the thought that she may just be a spoiled brat. Even the poor who've been doted on by their parents could walk like foreign delegates from a proper upbringing. Anyone with an elevated background, or sense of self, had their own way of unconsciously displaying who they truly were.

"Let's hope I'm not overthinking," Takehide sighed to himself as he watched the last of the adventurers slip into the throne room.

A couple of hours later, as he was leaning against a wall beside the throne room resting his eyes, he heard a pair of heavy leather boots heading his way. Opening his eyes, his gaze rested upon a guard who was just about to speak.

With a sweatdrop forming on his forehead, the guard hadn't quite expected for the Samurai to open his eyes. "Takehide-dono, you and the rest of the Heroes have been summoned to the King's chambers. Please, right this way."

Blinking a few times, Takehide nodded his head and pushed his foot off of the wall as the other members of the Four Heroes were approaching. Being the first to enter the Throne Chamber, his gaze rested upon the Adventurers who were gazing upon him and the Heroes behind him.

"When did Takehide-san get down here anyway?" Itsuki inquired.

"He was up sometime before I got up," Naofumi scratched his cheek with his finger as he thought about it, "So probably hours ago based on when I last saw him."

Ren nodded in acknowledgment, "He was law-enforcement, so it is more than likely he will get up early, even if he retires late..."

Naofumi chuckled a bit as he agreed with Ren who was pointing out the obvious, though he was more so thinking about the sleep deprivation that was involved with such a practice.

Soon enough they were once more lined up along the red carpet in front of the throne. It felt just like yesterday as they stood in the exact same places. Naofumi on the far right, Takehide to his left along with the others in order of Ren and Itsuki at the farthest.

"Are you trying to show us up or something?" Itsuki asked, seemingly in a joking matter.

"Not particularly~," Takehide responded with a neatly drawn-out tone as if the tease the younger teen, "I just happened to be disturbed before the sunrose to its peak."

"Disturbed?" Itsuki and Ren blinked at this before turning their attention forward, looking over the adventurers which were all looking at them in awe.

Takehide had since also returned his attention to those in front of him. His eyes drifted over the red-haired girl, which he quickly noticed was giving the Shieldbearer a smile. 'Shit,' he thought to himself thinking to himself about the warning he was given. That wasn't a smile, it was a predatory gleam.

Turning to look towards Naofumi, the Spear Hero sighed seeing him flushed and smiling. The poor lad had completely misread what had just happened. He couldn't tell him now... Perhaps when they were alone? Clenching his jaw, the hero turned forward once again as he heard the massive doors of the chamber clank shut behind them at the other end of the room.

"We have gathered the brave warriors who will fight the waves with you, Legendary Heroes." The King's voice boomed over them, stealing their attention away from the Adventurers as he proclaimed from his throne. His hand was stretched out in a gesture to show his power to fetch the greatest of fighters, a marvelous grin across his lips.

"Now, our future Champions! Time to begin your journey!" Declared the King with a commanding voice once more, grasping at the arms of his chair in an erect posture of power.

At that moment, almost as if the King had ordered an army to march upon them, the Adventurers came walking towards them in sync.

'So... They're choosing the hero they go with... How interesting,' Takehide gaze locked with the mage wearing earthy colors once more. This time she was trying to keep an indifferent expression, even as she moved to join his line.

Turning his head, he watched as not only did the brunette join his group, but so did a short-haired blonde in dark black attire with ochre yellow trim. On top of that, the pompous one of the supposed brave warriors also seemed to have joined his group. There, directly behind him, was a purple-haired chick with scantily clad attire showing her shoulders and abdomen area. Out of all of them, the red and purple-haired individuals seemed less protected against distasteful threats. This was met with an all too obvious frown on his part. As the other adventurers had lined up behind their respective heroes, Takehide narrowed his gaze on the emptiness behind Naofumi who at the time had his eyes shut.

'Just what is going on here? Is this part of their scheme?' A sigh left his lips as the Shield Hero finally opened his green hues to the world.

"Huh!?" Naofumi turned around to find that he had very few members in his group. Immediately he turned to count the people who joined the other heroes. "Three... Four... Five..." He nervously balled up his hands before swiftly turning on his heel to look at the king. After a brief thought, he decided to call upon the sovereign on the throne, "Your Majesty!"

"I have to admit... I wasn't expecting this." King Aultcray sighed and leaned back in his throne, appearing sympathetic whilst his aid who had spoken for him before lowered his head in shame. However, analyzing his tone made Takehide quite sure this was indeed part of their scheme.

"No Volunteers? He must have no Charisma..." The Minister didn't even raise his head as he spoke to those around him. It was most definitely suspicious.

That was when Takehide and the rest of the Heroes noticed a blonde man with a bowl cut leaning to speak into the King's ear. 'It seems they noticed something is wrong...'

"So there have been rumors," the King's expression became sour.

"Pardon, your Majesty," Takehide fought the urge to step forward, "Did something happen?"

"Well," King Aultcray began, "Rumors that the Shield Hero is ignorant of this world has spread around town..." He didn't sound too impressed himself with this.

"Hah?!" Naofumi gutturally responded in surprise to this rumor.

"So, it seems we were being watched... How annoying..." Takehide muttered under his lips as his eyes practically traced over the kings every microexpression that crossed his face.

"Legend says the heroes come with firm understanding of our lands, and they seem to think he doesn't meet the criteria." The King's explanation sounded strangely focused on last night's conversation. This was something that cemented the fact that Takehide already figured out, they were being watched.

"Your Majesty, I would like to meet the source of this rumor..." Takehide coldly spoke as his fingers itched at his weapon, "I do not take lightly to those who spy on others' conversations."

"Sadly, we do not know who started the rumor, but we will start investigations," the bowl haired male easily dismissed this. It was a typical move for politicians and bureaucrats to pull, empty promises.

Takehide feigned his own collectiveness, appearing cool and calm after being told this. He was used to such things happening, particularly, in the Empire of Japan that he called home.

"Huh..." Naofumi stared forward blankly at what just transpired as it appeared Takehide had pointed out they had been spied upon, "Seriously?" His eyes then went to Itsuki and Ren who had the most. "Hey," he tried to keep his cool, "Ren, think you can talk some of yours to join me?" He was going off of Takehide's warning that not everything may be as it seems.

"I'm actually more of a loner," Ren replied sharply with a dulled tone, "If any of you can't cut it, I'll leave you behind." As he finished he glanced behind himself to his party members, expecting at least one to budge. That didn't seem to be the case, and Ren didn't even try to appear remotely apologetic either as they all strengthened their line behind him.

Angry, Naofumi turned to Takehide who had been his most supportive ally since arrival, "What do you make of this?" He asked with one fist clenched, "Don't you think this is unfair."

"It is. Considering we're supposed to be Heroes and fight against the Waves together..." Takehide huffed in annoyance as he narrowed his eyes on the other two heroes.

"It would be best to split them three each," Itsuki stepped forward with a look of compassion, "but if we were to force it... It has a high probability of destroying morale."

Takehide and Naofumi just set their eyes on him, boring holes through the boy's skull as the adventurers were all agreeing with Itsuki with vigorous nods of their own.

"Then are you telling me to go at it alone!?" Angrily Naofumi erupted, both hands now rolled into fists as his body tensed in increasing irritation.

Letting out a soft sigh, Takehide glanced over his shoulder seeing someone raising their hand. Someone from his party was volunteering? Seeing the female with red hair holding her hand in the air, he huffed silently like a wild boar, but it wasn't in disappointment.

"Sir Hero!" The woman failed to humanize him with a name, but Naofumi already became awestruck by her appearance alone. Stepping out of line and coming forward, his expression was becoming even more visibly bewildered as confirmation of who it was came to light. Holding her dainty fingers of her right hand above her chest, she spoke in a chipper voice, "Would you allow me to join the Shield Hero?"

Being asked this question didn't feel too right from Takehide's perspective, so as he moved a hand behind Naofumi's back, he awkwardly gave him a pat and shallowly twisted his palm against his spine. Once he did that, the Spear Hero shoved him forward, "Go ahead," he made himself out to be indifferent about this.

The redhead nearly dropped her facade but managed to keep a smile on her painted lips and sharp facial features. She was definitely a beaut, but that didn't mean she was a good person. Closing her eyes as she acknowledged his words, "Alright," she said.

The other members in line were all watching them as this happened, their eyes practically reading the woman's back. There were plenty of empty glances from this, which at this point, didn't faze Takehide.

"Are there any others who wouldn't mind joining Naofumi-dono?" The King called out to those present, though as one would expect, no one else came forward. This prompted mumbling and improper exchanges amongst the audience, it was clear some didn't approve of this arrangement. Though based on the King's expression, he wasn't all too keen on it either. "Ah... I suppose we'll have to take other measures, Naofumi-dono, you will have to recruit for your party yourself."

Hesitant Naofumi turned to face the king, "A-Alright..." All the while the red-haired girl made gave yet another smile in order to cement herself into the Shield Hero's good graces.

"Every month, we shall provide each hero the funds they require," the King went on to inform. "This time, Naofumi-dono's payment will be higher than the others... Here are your initial war chests. Please, accept them."

That was when a number of servants, or nobles, came walking out with purses of coinage. It appeared they had already been divided-up beforehand, revealing that this may have been the plan all along.

To say the least, Takehide was not impressed. Even as the woman in the gold dress from yesterday approached him with the coin purse. Narrowing his gaze on her Jawline, he began to think she was becoming a bit more familiar than that. "Oh...?"

The girl stood there in front of him formally, her hands folded in front of herself and her eyes closed with that self-satisfied looking smile on her lips.

"Naofumi-dono gets eight hundred silver coins, the others receive six hundred," Aultcray informed the lot of them of their monetary gains for the month. He then shifted in his throne once more as he kept himself contently seated, "Use this to procure all necessary equipment and set forth on your journey."

"Yes, your Majesty!" The Heroes all responded as all four of the groups turned and made for the door, a number of their party members clumping together and beginning to talk as they walked.

14