Chapter 04
264 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wondrous books, works of imagination and fiction, stood alongside those of fact. There were no better books though than those hidden in the back room of the store and on shelves. Pristine dark wood shelves, each draped in red fabric cloth, trimmed with golden weave. Takehide had entered the Anthology Section belonging to the Cardinal Armaments, books that covered the history of the Four Heroes. However, he was quick to notice numerous gaps between particular sections of shelving.

There were no books that held the insignia of the Shield Hero on their spines available. Walking over to the three cases of books, one short case surrounded by two tall ones. His attention fixated on the center case, causing him to squat down in front it and stare at the spines blankly.

Rino quietly stood beside him, if not a couple of paces behind, peering over his shoulder towards the books he was taking a gander at. There were thirteen books on the Spear Hero that she could see, but he wasn't able to read the titles. "Takehide-dono, these thirteen here are part of a set. Each of the Volumes seems to depict the actions of the previous Spear Hero... But it seems like a few are missing from the set." Rino moved onto her knees, this time right beside him as she leaned forward and touched the spine of a book that had the number seventeen printed on it. "There are four missing in total..."

"I can probably assume that the King or the Church is censoring information, or someone bought any books here that may contradict the nation's popular belief." Based on history lessons back when he was a student in Japan, he remembered how the Shogunate blacklisted Western Trading, Artwork, and Literature. They even slaughtered countless Christian converts to uphold the 'unity' of their nation. This place shouldn't be any different from how he remembered humanity, as it were.

"Hmmm..." Rino curled her lower lip inward, bitting it softly in thought. Her fingers trailed over the other books before she came across one from a different set. It had a leather cover and red silk bindings. "Takehide-dono, look at this~!" She plucked the book from the case and cradled it in her arms. "What kind of writing is this?" Her fingers traced over the gold Japanese inscription on the front of the book itself. It was written in a dialect from over two hundred years ago.

"Oh? Rino-san, you've found some language from my world," Takehide narrowed his thoughts on the book for a few seconds, finding it interesting that there was a book of his language here. Were they actually selling this thing? Perhaps a noble collecting relics of past Heroes sold it to the shop. Reading the title, 'Legendary Warrior's Guide,' he pursed his lips. "I think it might be a way to use Manual for the Cardinal Weapons," reaching over he opened the book to the page of contents, "and notes of privileges that the past Heroes used."

Rino felt as if she had been filled with warm light, hearing his voice praise her for finding the book. Leaning towards him a bit so that he could have better access, her shoulder pressed into his arm. "This is good right?"

"I would say so... And it seems the Spear Hero from the past had some pretty good Calligraphy," Takehide stared at the brim of her hat from the corner of his eye, curious of what kind of expression she was making. There was a good sense in him as he was half tempted to remove her obnoxious hat, but instead, he chose to simply focus back on the book. "Page one, Table of Contents. Page Two, Party Recruitment. Page Three, Rights and Privileges. Page Ten, Class Up. Page Eleven, Armament Transformation Notes. Page Sixteen, Dragon Order...?"

"That's an extinct art of magic," Rino glanced up at him, "It can only be used by those blessed by a Dragon Emperor. I've read plenty of texts on it, Takehide-dono, it's incredibly strong compared to affinity-based ritual magic."

A faintly distinctive smile formed over Takehide's lips as he could see her eyes looking up at him. They looked like they were filled with millions of tiny shining stars. "Is that so..." His eyes then darted to the book's table of contents again, silently noting the information written there.

Flipping to the second page, his eyes sifted through the information provided. "Each Hero can recruit party members, both willing and slaves, into their respective groups at their own discretion... All Heroes can recruit criminals from the Dungeons to serve as members of their party under the Slave Curse...? Now that's interesting," chuckled Takehide as he was wondering what kind of transgressors and heretics had actually been thrown into the jails here. It had the promise to give him a good look at what kind of nation he was currently residing in.

"Eh? Are you going to recruit criminals into the party?" Rino worriedly shrank from him.

"Depends on their crime," His eyes traced over her, "I won't get any kind of offender that will threaten your sanctity." Takehide reached over and grazed a finger along the brim of her hat.

"I... I see..." Raino nodded with a shy smile across his lips in response to his gesture.

"Eh? So this is where you've been," Elena huffed borderline irate, "What are you two doing?" Standing behind them with her hands at her hips, her sheathed rapier protruding laxly from her side.

"We've found what we've been looking for, Elena-dono," Takehide used a more honorific title towards her due to her noble heritage from her father. Whether or not he changes it, will depend on her preference.

"...Oh..." Elena blinked at him when he had referred to her with the honorific, her face turned a faint red. She had just been acknowledged as a Lady by the Spear Hero despite her Adventurer occupation. "G-Good!" With her tongue excitedly tied, she had declared, "We'll just buy the book then!"

Rolling his eyes slightly out of her sight, Takehide was mildly amused. It wasn't every day he had followers who wanted his attention. It reminded him of the more popular folk who people gathered around in high school. Seeing as Elena's demeanor had changed after learning they had found something and weren't just leaning on one another, it was making him curious.

'Why is she really here?' He wondered to himself, 'Is it a classical noble trying to avoid being put into an arranged marriage? Hm. Usually, they enroll in the military, don't they?' His mind went back towards the book which was now under his arm.

Stretching as if bored out of her mind, Lucy came walking out from behind a pair of bookcases, "Did I finally hear good news~?" She chimed with a sarky tone, happy to leave the store. That was until she saw how close the Green Mage was to the Spear Hero. A frown decorated her lips, "Why are you so close to Takehide-dono?"

"Other than the fact that I cannot read?" Takehide just stared at her for a few seconds, "Why do you care how close someone is to me, anyway?"

"Tch. Common blood can't just be so close to a hero, plus she so plain." Lucy's voice was like a razor to Rino, causing her shoulders to slowly deflate in defeat to the words used to hurt her.

"Be careful what you say to party members, Lucy-san. Being on the front line means your life is at risk," Takehide lulled his head to the side as he was speaking leniently. All three of the girls were left speechless, mostly because of how quickly he spoke up for Rino.

"Elena-san, say something!" Lucy neglected to use nobler honorifics when addressing her, supposedly causing the Melromarc noble to simply avert her gaze.

Although Elena had truly wanted to use the Spear Hero to avoid getting thrown into an arranged marriage and live a luxurious lifestyle, she wasn't going to bully Rino over it. Takehide seemed to be friendly and compassionate, at the same time rather serious. He may joke around or flirt, but he wasn't flirting with just about anyone, so in a way it made Elena feel secure.

Standing up from the ground with ease, Takehide closed the book and lightly took it from Rino's hands. After tucking the book under his arm, he held out his hand as she moved onto one knee.

None of them replied to Lucy's comment.

"Are you guys going to ignore me now?" Lucy jeered with a twisted smirk on her face.

Smiling up at him, she obediently placed her hand within his larger palm as he helped her rise to her feet. "Thank you, Takehide-dono," she said as she dusted off the skirting of her plain green and vanilla robes.

"Don't mention it," Takehide winked to the young mage before turning his attention to Elena who gestured for them to follow her. Nodding his head, the duo walked behind the Noble back to the front of the store.

"Seriously!? Who do they think they are...?" Lucy watched as the three-party members moved together towards the direction of the shop's owner. "They're all a bunch of kiss-ups," she uttered under her breath as she went to strode after them to keep up.

Once they made it to the front counter, the Spear Hero used his right hand to take the book out from under his arm. He made little effort to speedily place the book down upon the countertop as the owner glanced over toward them.

"Ah, the Spear Hero is it?" The elderly lady looked over the man, her gaze eventually coming to a stop on the spear on his back. "What is it you'll be buying today...?" Though her tone was bitter, she was very attentive as she shuffled on over in front of him and peered over the book.

After a few seconds of her just staring down at the item, a sweatdrop appeared on his forehead, 'Why does she sound so bitter... Did I do something...?' He hadn't noticed she had been watching him earlier when he had spitefully dropped the Book of Three Heroes onto the floor.

"This is the Journal my family was given to hold onto for the next Spear Hero," From bitter to affectionate, the woman caressed her wrinkled fingers over the leather cover. "It had been imbued with powerful preservation magic," the shop owner lightly pushed the book to the edge by his abdomen. "You can have it free of charge. No one except the Heroes can read it after all."

Raising both of his brows as she had said he could have it without paying, the Hero's lips parted. "Thank you," Takehide spoke softly as he calmly placed a hand on the item. "Why did you have it for sale though?"

"What were the chances that the Spear Hero, who can't read, would come to a shop that sells books?" Laughed the old woman as she spoke in reason, "Come back once you've read the book. Or share it with your other Heroes. I am sure it will be useful in your journey."

Takehide grinned coyly as he raised a brow at the old woman, "You don't want to come along?" He was obviously teasing her, causing the elderly to giggle to herself and shake her head in decline.

"I am afraid I am far too old to join your Quest, Sir Hero... Your offer moves my heart," the old woman cupped a hand over her chest. "Thank you for your compassion."

"Samurai are not only recognized for their tenacity in battle but also by their dealings with others," Takehide bowed his head lightly to the older woman who had done him a great service. "Please, call me Takehide. My family's crest is that of a Wandering Wild Boar. We pride ourselves on being Good-tempered, kind-hearted, and loyal to our friends and as fierce as a dragon to our enemies."

"Samurai?" Rino and the others were uncertain of the meaning behind the word.

"Historically," Takehide turned to his party members as he took a step back from the counter, taking the book with him. "Samurai were members of a robust martial nobility caste in the Feudal Era of my Country. They served as retainers to Feudal Lords... The caste was reestablished in my world as peacekeepers, civil elite units, and retainers to Law Enforcement Leaders."

"You learn something new every day," the shop owner simply smiled

"So... You were a Samurai?" Rino questioned excitedly with widening eyes, hugging her magic staff against her shoulder. "That's so cool!"

"He's even a noble in his previous world...?" Lucy crossed her arms looking over him as she mumbled to herself, inaudibly, before letting out a sigh. "Then why is he hanging around someone so drab? It can't be just due to his respect, right?"

"After we stop at the Magic Shop, let's go back to the Castle. I'd like to have a look-see of the current occupants of the dungeon." Takehide smiled towards the three of his party members, though his frown gradually dissipated as he saw Lucy frowning at him.

"Why are we going to the dungeon? You're not planning on recruiting criminals, are you?" Lucy didn't want to hear anything of the sort, she didn't really even want a response from him. "How can a Hero use the slave curse in order to get those in shackles to fight for him?"

"You can leave if you don't want to be involved with Takehide-dono," Elena shrugged as she crossed her arms, tapping her finger impatiently. "I for one believe a Hero would do just about anything in order to keep our world from being destroyed."

"Considering this is now my world as well," Takehide didn't even bother to nod his head as he consecutively agreed with Elena at a moment's notice. "So I have no problem freeing you from our party, Lucy-san."

"I come from a noble family too, you know. Why don't you address me the same way as Elena?!" She blatantly disregarded even a simple honorific this time when speaking of her fellow party members.

Takehide simply sighed as he rubbed the back of his head, turning to face the purple-haired girl. "Why don't you address Elena-dono with the same respect as you are asking for?"

"Because her family stems from a bunch of commoners, Merchants, and foot soldiers!" Lucy was becoming more blatant on how she was looking down on others, how she saw herself above everyone else. "Myne-sama wouldn't allow any of this to transpire on her watch!"

'Myne...? Oh, the one who got away.' Takehide thought back to the woman who went off with Naofumi. If she was anything like this woman, the Shield Hero really was in deep trouble. "In that case, I'm going to have to ask you to leave my party..."

Lucy's face briefly contorted, "You'll regret this!" With a quick bout from her lip, she turned on her heel without another word and stormed out of the store. Just like that, her name vanished from the corner of his eye, no longer visible on his Spear Hero hub.

"Takehide-dono... Are you sure about this?" Elena asked as she and Rino looked to the Hero.

"Without cohesion, a unit cannot function. If she cannot focus passed her self-infatuation or the goal at hand then she is useless in combat, and could lead to our untimely end." Takehide's mind went back to the time that the superior he was shadowing the day he died. The fellow officer had fallen in combat since he was more interested in his own glory than working as a pair. "I'm not going to die because of that."

"Sound logic that is," the shop owner was shaking her head side to side from the display.

"We'll be going now," Takehide said as he gave her a favorable wave of his free hand, "I look forward to reading your selections once I learn how." Feeling as if he had imposed on the woman who had kept a book that was now practically a family heirloom, he made for the door.

"Thank you for your help," the girls both said before following him out the door as quickly as they could, as not to lose him despite knowing exactly where he was going.

Once out in the street, Takehide peered one way and then the other before jogging across the rough cobblestone street. The moment he reached the other side, he turned his head to the side. From the very corner of his eye, he could make out their shapes making their way over to him. It was good to find the girls were close behind. Though no matter what direction he looked, he didn't see Lucy anywhere, "She is a quick one..."

"This is the Capital Town after all," Elena ushered the Hero forward, "This way Takehide-dono."

"I know the way," Takehide chuckled, feeling her hands on his back, his feet quickening as to not trip over himself. "Are we in that much of a hurry, Elena-dono?"

"N-no, not in particular," Elena simpered as she lowered her arms, letting him move on his own.

Rino quietly sighed as the two of them followed him over to the Magic Shop, a dark mint green colored building with visible dark wood trim. It was ultimately supported by greystone bricks which created the archway to the double doors. The only window within the front of the house was on the second floor, which also appeared to be the attic. In all likeliness, it could also be the owner's residence.

Compared to the other buildings, this house contrasted with the rest of the Capital Town's architecture. It quite literally reminded one of a Witch's humble abode with the seemingly strange protrusions and awkward modularly shaped roofing.

The moment they went inside, they found themselves surrounded by books of wisdom. Relics such as a wonderful crystal orb adorned one of the tables. This place had oodles of magical equipment for sale, plenty of it far more than what the King had given the Heroes for their Journey.

"Hello?" A shorter, middle-aged, woman stood behind the main counter. She had brown hair and purple eyes and despite her age, they were filled with vigor. "Welcome to my Shop."

"Ah, hello there." Takehide put on a light, yet chipper, smile upon his face as he and the girls walked into the clearing in the center of the room. The place wasn't big, but it wasn't too small either. His gaze traced over all the interesting trinkets which were on display. "You have quite the collection on display," his excitement billowed out with his voice. The idea of lighting his spear on fire by simply evoking a spell made his mind travel great lengths to the possibilities of how magic could be used in tangent with his Cardinal Armament.

"You... You must be the Spear Hero!" The Owner approached as she spotted the spear on his back, recognizing it from illustrations and that of legend. "I hear rumors that the Heroes have been summoned, I didn't expect you to come here so soon."

"Yes, my name is Takehide Eno. My friends call me Takehide," After introducing himself, his sights set on the whitened semi-translucent crystal ball.

"Ah, would you like to see your magic affinities? Come, come~!" She was a bit heavy set, but she wasn't so large that she'd have problems moving. As she gestured for him to follow, she turned on her heel as she padded happily on over to the station.

Blinking a bit at her insistence and cheerful demeanor, Takehide glanced to his party members, who simply nodded and gestured their hands out towards her. They were telling him to follow after her, knowing exactly what she was going to do.

"Place your hands by either side of the orb and we'll begin," the magic shop owner instructed as she hovered her hands over the orb.

"Oh uh, okay," Takehide was usually lacking hesitation, but magic to him was unknown. Even if he could picture himself charging at his enemies with a flaming spear, it didn't mean he didn't think of the chaos that may ensue. Resting the sides of his hands against the countertop, keeping his book tucked under his arm, he leaned forward in anticipation.

Aside from a slight glow of her hands, which was hardly any form of a light show, nothing happened. "Takehide-dono, your magic affinity is Transmutation magic," the Shop owner announced with a smile across his lips.

"Transmutation...?" Takehide's vision of running around with a spear enchanted with fire was doused out by the rushing cool of disappointment. "Is that any good?"

"Hmhm..." The Shop Owner chuckled to herself seeing that puzzled look on the Hero's face, seeing as he was apparently hoping for something else. That or he was unenthused by the divining magic she had displayed to determine his affinity.

"Transmutation Magic is powerful," Rino supported as she smiled up to the Hero, flexing the brim of her hat between her fingers. "You'd be able to fly and make objects and creatures move or change depending on the spells you use."

"Flying sounds useful..." Takehide glanced at the colorful Mana Points gage that was in the corner of his eye. A light sigh escaped his lips as he thought about the things he could do with the affinity. "And spears are known both as polearms and throwing weapons, using telekinesis could very well change the tide of a battle."

Cackling aloud this time, the shop keeper who was dressed a witch with wooden rose-shaped ornaments on her dark attire, placed a book down on the counter. "This book has a number of spells at the Tzuvait (intermediate) level."

Looking to the book, that the woman had placed on the counter, he noticed quite quickly it's a simple yet intricate design. It had black case binding, like a hardcover book from his world, and had what appeared to be a thin wavy silver metal decoration enveloping the book itself. At the same time, the parchment itself seemed rudimentary thick compared to the books from the store he had previously visited. "Is that a Grimoire?"

"Yes... It is. There are easier ways of learning magic, however, they are more costly. There are magic orbs that have sealed spells in them that allow their wielder to learn them. This though is as much as I can sell to you at the moment," she let out a light sigh as if she was dissatisfied that she couldn't be of any more help than this.

"Sadly I cannot read, but buying the book now would be an investment," Takehide smiled lightly towards his two party members that remained.

"I'll help as much as I can," Rino enthusiastically raised her fist in the air, looking forward to spending more time with him. Likely wanting to be praised and flirted with for the most part.

"Don't look at me," Elena huffed aloud as she gazed over the book, "I cannot read the ancient language."

Then he turned to face the Witch, "As you can see, it seems I've been equipped with a pair of valuable compatriots."

"Ah, yes. I can see," The Witch gave the girls a once over before pushing the book forward, towards the Hero. "It will be a hundred and twenty silvers. Is there anything else I can get you while you're here?"

"Hm. Do you have a potion of healing?" Takehide wanted to test out something with his spear since it could absorb items and materials. "And Rino-san, is there anything you'd like to get?" His eyes wrestled over her dark green attire as he asked, curious about what she could get here.

"There is nothing else that I need here, Takehide-dono," Rino said with a soft smile across her lips as she was asked this question.

"I have a few healing potions, how does twenty silvers a piece sound?" The Witch nodded as she walked over to the cabinet of the counter on the other side of the room. Leaning down, she opened the door and reached inside, plucking two potions before fixing her posture and coming back.

"Good enough for me," Takehide was more interested in the effect they'd have on his spear.

Opening his pouch, he placed one hundred and sixty silver coins, which left him with four hundred forty silvers in the end. Once everything he had purchased was placed on the counter, Takehide picked up one of the healing potions and drew his spear.

"Takehide-dono?" Rino's lips parted as he had the spear shorten to only one meter in length, a half-spear, which was approximately three feet in length. "What are you doing?"

Without answering her immediately, he popped the potion bottle open with his thumb and tipped the vial over. Everyone watched as the healing fluids drizzled on down onto the red gem that was planted within the spear, the liquid vanishing into it like magic. Soon enough the spear gave off a green glow and only to Takehide did a screen of various spears appear before him.

[ Healer's Spear Unlocked! ]

[ Healer's Spear ]

[ Equip Bonus: HP Regen Up (Small) ]

[ Exclusive Bonus: Low Healing Touch ]

[ Exclusive Bonus: Healing Mist (AoE) ]

With a splash of green light, the end of his spear morphed into a fluorescent green blunted spearhead. "Healer's Spear, huh?" His eyes flickered over to his fellow members with a brow raised.

Both of the party members observed the weapon after hearing what he had called it. Their eyes glimmered in amazement.

"Well done Takehide-dono," Rino clasped her hands together, keeping her staff pinched in between her bent elbow and out to the side.

"So it can turn into something like this?" Elena was rather impressed by the sudden change of the weapon, it had been nearly flawless and mesmerizing. She could now understand the power behind the Cardinal Weapon in person as she had studied the history of the nation as well as the church.

"Makes me curious," the shop owner snickered softly to herself, "just what else can you put into that Spear?" She asked curiously as she crossed her arms slightly, wondering what was to come next.

"Rino-san, can you keep the magic book on you for now?" Takehide gestured towards the book that was on the table before glancing over to Elena. Giving her a slight nod, only to return his gaze to the shop owner.

"Mmm..." Rino pursed her lips as she let out a hum in thoughts. "Um... Only if I get to call you Takehide-sama," she bartered awkwardly after a few seconds as she pointed to the Hero.

Takehide himself was caught off guard when she laid out the condition clearly, despite her awkward tone, as she tried to barter. Though he was getting used to being given the honorific of 'dono,' he was not exactly expecting her to ask if she could give him a greater address. Though he was sure that most people would be using it towards him anyway due to the world's religion, or the state's religion alone. So as he thought about all that, he simply smiled as his body relaxed from suddenly becoming tense. "Of course," he roughly brushed it off unceremoniously before grinning smoothly, "As long as I get to call you Rino-chan."

A light red flush appeared across her face, "Eh?" She gasped somewhat delayed as it settled into her mind. Without much more than a word, she snatched the book from the counter and held it to her chest.

Elena rolled her eyes at this, seeing how Takehide had teased Rino in return. "Takehide-sama, Rino-san, Will you two stop flirting with one another already?" She kindly joined in, "We have places to be."

"Right," Takehide nodded as he heard her words before pausing, noticing she too had changed the honorifics when she addressed him. Flags were lighting up in his head, a tingling sensation running along the side of his face. 'Wait, why did she change honorifics too? Are they both into me?'

"W-we weren't flirting!" Peeped Rino as she leaned towards the door.

"Pretty sure that was flirting," Takehide shrugged his shoulders, his hands in the air. Taking the potion off the table, he bowed his head once more to the shop owner as a form of thanks.

"Do not bow your head so easily, Spear Hero-sama." The Witch said with a light sigh, "All the same, I now thank you for your respect, and your business. I will be sure to see you again, in my shop, yes?"

"Indeed, and I'll keep that in mind," Takehide noted as he tilted his head to the side as he headed for the door. He couldn't count how many people he had formally bowed his head to in the previous world. Teachers, colleagues, employers, people who did him favors, and the like. Was bowing one's head the same as taking a knee? He was rather curious about the aforementioned.

Heading back to the castle, they came to a pause as Takehide came to a halt. Not too far ahead of him was Naofumi, dressed in a set of rather cheap-looking armor. It didn't take him long to recognize the type of armor he was wearing either, his game-like vision granted by the spear identified it as chainmail.

"They seem to be getting along well," Elena crossed her arms slightly.

Rino was frowning seeing this, she wasn't quite sure how she felt about the Shield Hero. However, she knew how she felt about Lucy, and already knew how close she seemed to be to Myne. "If she is anything like Lucy, she'll explode at the first thing she sees that she doesn't like. Before the other Heroes came into the Throne Room, the two of them sounded like magic duplicates of one another..."

"Talk about disturbing..." Takehide clucked his tongue against the back of his front teeth, "To the castle then." Without further delay, the three of them began making their way back to where they started, both of them walking at either side of him.

15