Chapter 12
261 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three weeks had gone by since Naofumi last saw Takehide, it was strange. Every time he went to Elhart something new was there waiting for him. Be it a piece of material from a monster, or an ore. It felt like the Spear Hero was avoiding him, at least avoiding directly coming in contact with him. This kind of behavior left a sour taste in his mouth, plus the fact that he hadn't been at the trial to defend him. Now because of the false act, his name and face were infinitely infamous within the Castle Town. No adventurer allowed themselves to stoop down to his level and join his team, causing his leveling to suffer. The only thing that helped was the power-up methods left behind by his socially distant friend.

A sigh left Naofumi's lips as he walked down the night blanketed streets of the capital. His eyes to the sky as he could see the stars that were normally blanked out by the light pollution of the modern cities of Japan. A subtle, but sad, scowl remained on his lips. Flaunting his crimes and his bad name did give him some perks, he had to admit.

When he wanted to be left alone, he was alone. When he wanted to sell something, all he had to do was act indecently. At times it was taxing, at others, it was relatively easy. However, he had less than three weeks until the first wave of calamity hit and he needed to get high enough in power to fight. Otherwise, he really will be nothing but dead weight and maybe even death when the fighting starts.

Naofumi's lips grimaced in annoyance.

'I bet they're looking forward to me dying in the wave, huh?' His green eyes shifted to the nearby windows of the closed shops. The marketplace and its shops were all closed for the evening.

Hearing his own footsteps, his mind began to soothe over until he heard another pair behind him. His line of thought was abruptly disrupted by the following words, "You seem concerned…"

Coming to a halt, his sharpened eyes flickered over his shoulder towards a small man wearing a tophat. "Who are you…?"

"Were you not looking for assistance?" The man tapped his cane upon the stone street.

"If you're looking to call yourself my comrade, then you're in the nick of time." He went on grumbling, Naofumi didn't like the shrewdness of the man. "You can't trust anyone these days…" Though he seemed somewhat upfront, he didn't immediately answer his question.

"I like those eyes of yours~ Fufufufu… Just the kind I'm looking for," the short man was none other than the slave trader. With a wide creepy grin, his specs reflected what little light there was in a frivolous manner as he rested his folded hands on top of a walking cane. "But Comrades? What a preposterous notion…"

"Whatever you're trying to sell me, I'm not buying." Naofumi spat as he was getting a really shady, if not eerie, feeling off of this guy. Especially with that creepily shrewd smile.

"I think someone like you is in need of someone with my... Specialties," that eerie grin seemed to grow larger by the minute. "What I have to offer you is the talent that cannot betray you, Sir Shield Hero. That's right, news travels fast… People speak of a Hero who has only demons at his side."

"You…" With his green cloak fluttering about as he whipped around to completely face the man, Naofumi glared. He was getting ready to launch one of his orange balloon monsters hidden within his cloak at the unknown man.

"Ufufufu~ I really do like those eyes of yours the best! Follow me if you will," the man began to waddle into that of a nearby alleyway. "I am sure you'll make a wonderful customer~!"

"You've got my attention…" Raising a brow at 'something far more convenient' than companionship, Naofumi silently followed behind the man. Watching that little top hat bob up and down he soon found himself standing in a clearing that revealed a large tent.

'What is this…?' Naofumi stared up at the massive construct, a disturbing smell reaching his nostrils the closer he got. As the little man came to a stop, he looked down at the man who pulled open the tent's entry point and led him inside.

Stepping into the dimly lit tent, the smell had gotten ten times worse. It was like walking into a dark and damp place filled with the odor of death and decay. No, that was the kind of place Naofumi had just stumbled into.

As he ventured further into the tent, they passed a number of sealed crates before cages stacked on cages could be seen. Hundreds of them, maybe thousands, filled with the screeching and moaning of people. 'This was what this guy meant,' Naofumi finally understood, 'he deals in slaves…'

"Well?" The man was now facing Naofumi, a short distance ahead of him.

"Are these… Humans?" His gaze traced over the demihumans in the cages, and the beastmen weren't all too different from them.

"Humans? I suppose you could call them that. They're demihumans, they are said to be closer to monsters than humans due to their bestial traits."

"Hm…" Naofumi couldn't help but be disgruntled, but at the same time, it was convenient. Reaching toward a cage, a beast reached out as if it wanted to devour his hand, and yet it did nothing. "The slave crest?"

"Oh? So you know of the curse that can take their very lives should they betray you." Snorted the Businessman, "You are very… Informed."

"Don't believe everything the bastard King and his bitch princess spout," Naofumi kept himself from hissing at the man.

"Hm. Now, what are you looking for exactly in a companion?"

"Someone who can be easily trained and can fight in my stead," Naofumi shifted his shield arm as he peered over the cages he was passing by.

"Sounds like you're looking for a demihuman," chuckled Beloukas as he made his way to a cage with a powerful bestial looking being inside. Though as he was about to show off a level seventy-five werewolf, the slave trader paused and glanced over to the Hero.

Naofumi had already gone on ahead to the lower-priced goods section of the tent, though remained within eyeshot of the slave trader. He was surprised to see something had already caught the hero's attention. The sudden sound of whooping cough reached his ears, his sights immediately moved towards a tarp that hid a caged occupant from his view.

He seemed to already know what he was looking for, at least that is what Beloukas assumed.

Naofumi on the other hand was now standing in front of the tarp, listening to the cough. It was something that could be easily cured in his world. He knew this, at least if that was really the case. Pulling the tarp aside, his green hues locked onto the small tanuki girl inside. For instance, their gazes matched and he immediately recognized the look in her eyes; devoid of life.

After a short few seconds, she backed off with a whimper, especially as Naofumi knelt down in front of the cage examining her.

"Shield Hero, I believe that one is on her last leg. She won't last long. I have a better–" Beloukas found himself stopping in mid-speech as Naofumi's gaze rested upon him.

Level seventy-five, offensive based stats. It was well over what Naofumi's current level was, but he was sure there was no affording him, even if he did want him.

"I won't be able to afford that one, and you know that very well. Don't you?" A sly smile formed over his lips, "Trying to show me something of high quality, knowing I can't get them? How shrewd. I'll take this one," Naofumi cocked his head towards the tanuki girl in the cage beside him.

"You are a customer that has developed good eyes for business…"

"Eh!?" The girl gasped, before going into another coughing fit. Trying to make herself seem small, she shrunk away from the cage's outer bars.

"About that rumor…" Beloukas moved to question but was immediately cut off as Naofumi suddenly tensed.

Almost bashing his shield arm against the cage bars but refrained from doing so. Naofumi's eyes glared darkly at the man in the top hat, "I didn't do it!"

"Hm… I see… You do seem different from the man described." His eyes drifted from the Shield Hero and over to the raccoon girl. Are you sure though?" Beloukas inquired, "She's not one for this world…"

"What is your name?" Naofumi knocked his knuckles on the bars in front of him, momentarily ignoring the trader.

"Huh?" The girl could hardly look at him.

Beloukas grinned with intrigue. "A raccoon girl, an interesting choice Sir Hero… Normally she would go for thirty-five silvers, but since she is sick I'll sell her to you for thirty."

Naofumi nodded to his words, accepting the discount for what it was worth. "Do you have a name!?" The Hero then snapped at the raccoon girl as she didn't answer him immediately.

The girl whimpered, briefly peeking her eyes out towards him. They were pretty tea-red and her hair was a mottled brown. In the dark, they seemed to be illuminated and almost fluorescent pink.

"R-Raph…Raph...talia…" Her ears were drooping in fear, she shook where she sat.

"Raphtalia… That's a nice name," Naofumi pressed his shield against the bars of the cage. "Do you know what this is?"

"Tanuki people aren't as common of a choice as Kitsune. They tend to stand around without doing anything," Beloukas commented as he informed the Hero of her species' behavioral habits.

"She'll do fine," Naofumi's gaze draped over her like a blanket. 'She's completely terrified… So thin too, probably suffering from being underfed. Her face isn't that bad looking and she doesn't look too different from a human being. Huh, if I had made that woman my slave...'

Raphtalia blinked, still huddled in the center of her cell. Quickly though her tea-red eyes rested upon the shield with a green jewel settled in its center. "A shield…?" Her singular answer took him out of his thoughts.

According to the book lent to him by Takehide, Naofumi as the Shield Hero was a friend of Demihumans. Seeing them for the first time in cages, while disheartening had made it a bit easier to get one by his side. "That's right, Raphtalia, do you know who I am then?"

"N-no…" It didn't register to her at first as she looked from the shield and to his face. Her mind was becoming flustered and it was hard to go through the information. To her, it wasn't as if she had ever met this man, otherwise, she knew she could've recalled.

"Come here," Naofumi tried to sound gentle as he reached out a hand.

Although she stared at him fearfully, she still approached the bars in more fear of being punished for disobeying. So as she did move closer with her eyes closed, Raphtalia was shocked by the suddenly kind caress that met her cheek. Those pretty hues of hers opened back up to see him, feeling his fingers brush through her dirty hair.

Remembering her father's stories of the Four Cardinal Heroes, her eyes traveled back down to the shield he still held to the cage. Slowly her little hands rested upon the plain metallic surface. "Shi-Shield Hero…?"

"Mhm," Naofumi nodded as his smile became indifference. His hand moved from the side of her face and ruffled the top of her head, as she hid a cough in her shoulder.

Beloukas, taking out a set of keys, unlocked the cage. Soon enough the barred door opened and Naofumi reached in and plucked the girl up and out from her confined space. Sitting there in his arms, he kept her head rested on his shoulder…

'I don't know if she's just sick or if she's excited… But I can feel her heartbeat. It's pounding,' Naofumi smiled externally as he wore a scowl on his face.

Beloukas tipped his hat, before turning away, "Follow me."

Without reserve, they made their way to the section of the tent that seemed to be selling other merchandise. Naofumi's gaze rested on a number of monster eggs that sat not too far away. "Hm…" Turning his gaze towards Beloukas who was preparing the slave seal, he put the tanuki down onto her own two feet. Almost immediately she fell to her knees, and he raised a brow. "Are you alright?"

Raphtalia's head rocked forward and back as she stared up at him, her lips parted.

Seeing her nod her head, Naofumi's gaze shifted over to what looked somewhat like a kitchen. His eyes ultimately settled on the island that the slave trader was finishing his preparations.

Naofumi walked over to a nearby barrel and sat down on it, peering over his shields. Over the past few weeks, he had gained countless forms. Though many of them weren't as important or contributing to his fighting. Whilst there were a few that helped with the attack, defense, and agility stats and there was a number that gave noncombatant skill buffs.

[ Small Medicine Shield IV 0/20 C ]

[ Equip Bonus: Medicine Efficacy Up (Medium) ]

[ Mastery: 22 ]

...

[ Mush Shield III 0/20 C ]

[ Equip Bonus: Plant Appraisal 3 ]

[ Mastery: 16 ]

...

[ Green Mush Shield III 0/20 C ]

[ Equipment Bonus: Journeymen Compounding ]

[ Mastery: 45 ]

[ Medicine Shield I 0/20 C ]

[ Equipment Bonus: Effective-Range of Medicine (Small) ]

[ Mastery: 10 ]

This one, in particular, seemed to be what he needed the most, at least for taking care of this tanuki girl. His eyes drifted over to her, remembering how he read about the growth adjustment from the books. Using the hair of his companions, he could make specific species that were his companions stronger as they leveled up.

Absently, he let the slave trader prick his finger and get a few drops of blood. With that the seal was prepared and ready to be applied. Naofumi's gaze drifted over to his hand shortly after, a frown on his lips.

"Nnnngh UGH!" His eyes immediately narrowed on Raphtalia who had let out a distressing sound. His gaze settled on the arcing electricity that was emitted as the seal crest was situated on her chest.

[ A slave contract with been formed with Raphtalia. ]

"As you know that slave crest makes it impossible for her to defy you," Beloukas said, still holding the brush he had used to apply Naofumi's blood-ink over Raphtalia's slave crest.

His sight glimpsed over the notification before he slipped off of the barrel. The contract menu then appeared, showing him the slave crest settings that allowed him to put her as his companion. There were other settings, such as punishment levels and the like. Naofumi put the violation punishment level to its minimum. He simply made it so she couldn't lie and added her to his party list.

Taking out some pieces of chocolate from his inventory and he strolled over to the girl.

Although she knew who she was, Raphtalia stared up at him fearfully. Though as he knelt down and revealed the bitter-sweet scent of chocolate, her gaze dropped to his hand. Licking her lips slightly, she hesitantly opened her mouth as he raised the item to her lips.

She was afraid that he was going to take it away, tease her, but that didn't happen. Soon she felt the sweetest chocolate she had ever tasted land in her mouth. The stuff was melting on her tongue, coating the roof of her mouth. Animatedly chewing, her eyes didn't leave the man even as he picked her up and dropped a pouch onto the island.

"Hm?" The slave trader looked at the small sack, before opening it and counting.

As Naofumi moved to the exit, he heard the man clear his throat.

"There's three extra here." Beloukas snorted.

"That's your commission," Naofumi noted as he grinned at the man, fixing the girl in his arms as she clung to his neck.

Beloukas grinned widely in return, "You are a wise man, Sir Hero, it is a pleasure doing business with you."

Nodding, Naofumi made his way out of the tent only for Raphtalia to squeak as she felt a tuft of fur being pulled from her tail. Looking down, she watched as he fed it to his shield.

[ Tanuki Shield Unlocked ]

[ Tanuki Shield I 0/20 C ]

[ Equip Effect: Tanuki species growth adjustment (small) ]

[ Equip Effect: Tanuki species maturation adjustment (small) ]

[ Equip Effect: Tanuki species abilities adjustment (small) ]

[ Equip Effect: Tanuki species status adjustment (small) ]

[ Mastery: 0 ]

"Wha-what was that for…?" Raphtalia asked, her tail painfully swaying side to side.

"Something to help you further," Naofumi gave her a nod though he wasn't smiling. "I can't have my only fighter lag behind." He didn't feel the need to apologize.

Raphtalia frowned before coughing into his shoulder.

Entering a cheap Inn, he didn't recognize the glares he was getting. Instead, he simply sat down at one of the tables where no one else was sitting. Resting Raphtalia down in his lap, he began to examine her teeth, pressing her lower back against the table's edge as he did. What he did notice though was the color of her tongue and the swollen lymph nodes.

"Not too bad…" He uttered under his breath before peering at her ears. There was no sign of liquid build-up nor evidence of cavities in her mouth. That was relatively good.

Opening his items menu, he withdrew a bottle of medicine he had made with his makeshift pestle and mortar. Thanks to his early compounding experiments, in order to make a good penny, he had made a citrus-flavored medicine. Having tasted it for himself, he knew it was much better than cherry or straight up herbs.

"Drink this," Naofumi handed the slave the bottle.

Blinking up at him curiously, she sniffed the open clay bottle. It smelled nice. A subtle smile found her lips as she slowly drank it down, clearing her palate of sweet chocolate.

"Sour…" She muttered, though she didn't spit it out as it wasn't bad, but alternatively found herself poking the insides of her cheek with her tongue.

"Whenever you cough, let me know. I'll give you some more," Naofumi smiled at the Tanuki in his lap for however briefly, before his face returned to a scowl on its own.

Nodding, Raphtalia was then moved onto the bench to sit beside him. Soon after, the barmaid of the Inn stopped at his table.

"What can I get you…?" She wasn't enthused, but as long as he paid, she got paid.

Raphtalia glanced around, seeing the place mostly empty. Her gaze slowly drifted to her feet that dangled above the floor. As if she didn't know that she was allowed to speak, her sights remained set to the floor.

"One cheap platter and a kid's meal," he raised two fingers, "And two cups of water."

Nodding, "That'll be five coppers," said the barmaid as she went to fetch their orders.

Raphtalia fiddled with the empty medicine bottle, staring at the interior now. She could still smell the lemony scent. It was something welcoming compared to the death and decay inside that tent. Her eyes drooped though as her fingers tightened around it. Food had often been denied to her and while she was starving, her previous owners had teased her with it. Unfed and beaten, she felt broken inside and that she was undeserving of whatever kindness he supplied her with.

Her tea-red eyes looked up to Naofumi who now had a raccoon themed shield. Hardly believing what she was seeing, she blinked several times before rubbing them. "Ma-Master, what is that?"

"Tanuki shield," Naofumi placed his hand on the top of her head, "You gave it to me."

"I-I did?" Her eyes were wide as her hand reached back to feel her tail.

"Yes, you did Raphtalia," he gave a faint snort in response to her continued disbelief.

"I'm part of Masters… Shield…?" Raphtalia felt this strange sensation of pride, one she didn't necessarily understand. As the image of a friend rested in the back of her head, she slowly lowered her head. "Rifana… I'm sorry..." She murmured, "You should have been the one…"

"Hm?" Naofumi raised a brow, he didn't quite catch what she had said.

"N-nothing…" Raphtalia didn't smile as she rested her head in her arms, on the table, while still grasping onto the empty bottle.

"Alright," Naofumi shrugged it off before suddenly the sound of something breaking was heard within his vest.

[ Baby Red Balloon A has joined your party. ]

Narrowing his eyes forward, Naofumi glanced down into his lap as he watched a little red Balloon land on his thigh. It had titanium white eyes and a jagged smile.

"Eh!?" Raphtalia scooted down to the other end of the bench, immediately fearful of the creature's appearance. "Wha-what is that!?"

"It's a Balloon?" Naofumi stared down at the rubber monster, reaching down and picking it up in his palm. Unlike the ones outside of town, it was about the size of a small water balloon. Curiously, Naofumi pet the monster's head with his thumb. At first, it seemed to purr like a cat, only to bite down on his thumb. As usual with these monsters, he felt nothing from their attack. "What is this thing, a Tsundere?"

"Tsu-Tsundere?" Raphtalia scooted a bit closer, eyeing the lively red ball that had fiercely angry-looking white eyes.

Sometime later the Barmaid returned to their table and placed their cups down, along with their two trays of food. As they went to take a step away, they paused hearing the low-growl. Her eyes immediately rested upon the little red balloon that was chewing on the Shield Hero's thumb. Opening her mouth as if she was about to say something she just shook her head and walked away.

Raphtalia's gaze was set upon her tray. Mashed potatoes, gravy covered meat patty, a tower of rice with a flag sticking out of it, three fried shrimps, mixed vegetables, and flan for dessert. "This is all for me…?" She gulped as her mouth was salivating and almost overflowing. Out of everything there on the tray, her eyes were fixated on the flag as her mind went back to the one that was once held high in her village. The place where she had lost everything…

"Yes, all of it's for you. Raphtalia," Naofumi cocked his head to the side, "You can't fight on an empty stomach."

Raphtalia didn't oppose his words and only nodded.

Despite his kind words, it didn't prevent her from taking handfuls of the rice and potatoes and stuffing it into her mouth. Putting the bottle aside, she was voraciously downing her food, crumbs, and pieces of food sticking to her face around her lips. The only thing that remained consistent though, was that she was now holding the flag in one hand as she ate.

Naofumi humorously took note of this, "Someone forgot their table manners," he thought aloud as he poked his food with his fork.

'Everything is still tasteless…' Betrayed by Myne Sophia, left behind by Takehide who indirectly helped him through other people, and hated by the general populace. Naofumi didn't like this world, as he still felt alone even as he was surrounded by other people. His eyes then narrowed on the balloon who was now munching on his food. "Seriously?"

With a piece of dried meat sticking out of its mouth, the Balloon paused and looked over at him, slowly sucking on the food. "Murrrrr..."

"Don't look at me like that," Naofumi grabbed onto the meat as he went to tug it from the small balloon's mouth.

"Rrrrrrrr!" The Balloon tugged back, like a dog, fighting over the food.

"Uh… Whatever," Naofumi let go of the food and let the balloon munch on the piece of meat. Quickly though he finished the rest of his food before it could finish chowing down.

Leaving the exact coinage on the table once they were all finished, the two of them went over to the receptionist's desk. With the balloon attached to his armor, Naofumi looked at the man who stood behind the desk.

"How can I… Help you?" Glancing over the former college student with the demihuman, the receptionist frowned.

"I'd like to rent a room," Naofumi stated as he placed a hand on the top of Raphtalia's head.

"That'll be twenty copper," his lips grimaced as he stared at the Shield Hero. Whilst he didn't like the news that came from this man, he wasn't going to turn him away. The last thing he needed was to have his head shoved into that cloak, which more than likely had a balloon monster in it. Truthful rumors of Naofumi using less than charismatic ways to get fair business with merchants had already spread here.

Placing twenty coppers on the desk, Naofumi was handed the key and the two of them went up the stairs. It didn't take long to get to the door, even as he dragged his new companion along.

Once they were in the room, he closed the door behind him as Raphtalia looked over the bed.

There was only one, but it was big enough for the two of them. She smiled subtly, before quickly hiding her expression. Shield Hero or not, he was still human. Her eyes drifted over to Naofumi who gestured to the bed, as to tell her to get on it. Without question, she listened to her master's voiceless command and crawled up onto the bed rags and all. Gradually she let herself lay there on the foreign feeling of soft fabric, sinking into the fluffy mattress.

For a short period, he just watched her as she lay there with her eyes on him still.

'Is she too afraid to close her eyes? What the hell did her previous owner do to a child?' Breaking their eye contact, Naofumi walked over to the window and opened it allowing a cool breeze into the room. "Get some rest, we have an early day tomorrow, and we're going to get you checked out tomorrow to see if my medicine helped you at all."

A while after she had fallen asleep, Naofumi laid down beside her on the bed after tucking her in. She seemed to whine and murmur in her sleep, it wasn't too much. Though a few hours in she began to cry, only to shoot up into a seated position and let out a scream. Her arms flailing in front of her, she called, "Mo–Mommy! Daddy!"

Almost immediately Naofumi wrapped his arms around her, "Shhhh… It's going to be okay…" He whispered, having her cry into him as to muffle her cries. Her hands briefly thrashed against his chest, only for her to grasp onto him with a death grip. "I've got you…"

Naofumi was happy they hadn't been sleeping in the forest. Her nightmares and screams were a problem, considering monsters roamed the area around the town. The last thing they needed was to attract them out in the wild.

When she finally calmed down, he let out a sigh as her breathing settled but all the same, she was trembling in his arms. Gently he laid her back down on the mattress and laid there with her in his arms.

'Am I really going to have a kid fight for me?' Naofumi inwardly slapped himself, sure he could probably get another slave fighter. Though considering his limited funds and low income, that wasn't a good idea considering the upkeep. 'Either way… I made a decision, I'll have to make do with who I've got.'

Watching the night sky through the open window until he fell asleep, he kept the Tanuki held close to his chest. She wasn't going to be alone…

The next morning Naofumi awoke to the growling stomach of the small tanuki. Letting his eyes lazily flutter open, he pitched his head to see the girl peering up at him.

"M-Master?"

"Let's get going," Naofumi uttered as he slipped off the bed having slept on top of the comforter. Once he was standing, he turned to look over at her as she slipped out from under the blanket. Although stumbling, she was soon standing as well.

Considering they had very little in regards to personal items, the two of them left the room and soon the Inn after a short meal. Having ordered her yet another kids meal that she quite enjoyed.

"You're back," the medicine shop owner spoke as they entered his storefront. "You have your…" Pausing his eyes narrowed on the small demihuman that was being carried into the store. "Hm? What's this?"

Standing from his desk as he heard a faint cough escaping the young girl, it seemed like he recognized the sound.

"She's ill, I gave her some medicine, though it only helped tentatively." Naofumi placed her down on the stool in front of the desk, "But the coughs do seem to have lessened in intensity."

"That's good…" The shop owner nodded as he looked over the girl before checking her breathing, instructing her to take deep breaths as he listened to her lungs. He couldn't help but noticed that she was malnourished and underfed in the long-term. "It seems you are treating her just fine," the shop owner looked to Naofumi with a grin, "Your medicine is a trending seller I might add. It is a good thing she has you to take care of her… She is yours, right?"

Naofumi nodded, though he wasn't smiling, he just kept that iconic scowl of his. "Yeah," his eyes traced over to his new companion. "We'll be fighting in the wave of calamity that'll be coming in two weeks or so, based on the Dragon Hourglass."

"Calamity…" Raphtalia's posture was suddenly filled with determination.

Naofumi lightly nudged her cheek with his knuckles, "Yup and you're going to help me. That was the whole point of getting you," though he also wanted to make sure she didn't die. "So as long as you fight for me, I will protect you."

"He is the Shield Hero," the medicine shop owner shrugged, "it's what he's good at." As he centered his gaze on the Shield Hero, "Those supplements you came up with should do nicely to treat her. Other than the malnutrition, continued care should help her get over what ails her."

Understanding, Naofumi took out a few pills and handed them to Raphtalia as the store owner gave her a cup of water. After she swallowed them down and finished the cup, the two were on their way after he sold a few bottles of medicine to the man.

"Now let's get you something to fight in," Naofumi now held her hand as he leads her down the lumpy cobblestone street. She was slow, weak and Naofumi could tell she wasn't going to start out powerful at the start.

So as they entered the blacksmith's shop, Naofumi stared at the man behind the counter.

"Welcome! ...Well, If it isn't the Shield Kid," Elhart looked to the young man before his eyes drifted down towards the small girl. His lips parted, his left brow raised and his eyes filled with bewilderment.

Naofumi had a slave.

"I came to get a weapon and some clothes for my companion," Naofumi uttered as he strode over to the front counter. "Show me some weapons between five and ten silvers... And Whatever is on clearance for the clothes too."

After a short while, some clothes were put together, and Elhart handed them to Raphtalia. This set of clothes mainly consisted of a striped brownish-grey top under a black and red dress-like tunic. It was large enough for her to wear regularly and for her to grow into with continued tailoring.

The two of them stood outside the small changing room that hid the small slave from view by use of a curtain. "Kid…" Elhart spoke from his chest.

Naofumi looked to the old guy, raising a brow and passive-aggressively snapped, "What?"

Leaning on the counter with his chin in his hand, Elhart shook his head slightly. "Out of all the slaves you could've gotten… It had to be a girl?"

Naofumi just shrugged, "There weren't all that many choices." In a way, it was a lie since he didn't bother to look at most of the stock. At the same time, she was exactly what he was looking for and she needed him more than he needed her. He had enough to buy others of low-value too, but he still had limited resources for the time being. 'He definitely doubts me,' He thought as the two of them kept their eyes locked on one another.

"Ah…" Elhart sounded in a delayed fashion before his eyes shifted to the curtain. They could both hear the slave girl getting dressed, or at least staring down at the new clothes and swiping her tail side to side. They weren't quite sure. "The dagger over there," He pointed without looking, "Is about six silvers. It'll be good for the inexperienced girl."

Nodding, Naofumi approached the sheathed weapon tucked in a brown leather scabbard. He picked up the weapon by the scabbard and peered over its design. It was a straight edge dagger, nothing notable other than it was made of iron. Placing it on the counter, the two of them waited for the raccoon to finish getting dressed.

Several minutes went by before the curtain was finally pushed aside and Raphtalia stepped out. Compared to the rags she had worn not too long ago, she was rather cute in this clean outfit. The only thing that threw off her appearance was the split ends and overgrown layers of hair.

"It'll do," Naofumi remarked as he clipped the scabbard onto the belt at her waist. He then turned to Elhart and placed six silvers on the counter along with a handful of coppers. "Raphtalia, draw your weapon," Naofumi commanded as he moved to the center of the room.

Raphtalia moved in front of the counter and drew her dagger, her nimble fingers shaking.

Just before he went to open his cloak the front door opened and six people stepped inside.

"Naofumi-san?" Takehide's voice flooded the Shield Hero's hearing.

"... Takehide?" Naofumi looked at him with a bitter gaze, this was the first time seeing him in weeks as all his other interactions with him after the betrayal had been indirect. That was that the woman he had seen before had been replaced. Instead, there was a beautiful pink-haired woman with a noble complexion and knightly demeanor.

Raphtalia lowered her dagger and looked over the newcomers, all of them being human. That was when she narrowed her gaze on the man with the sword staff on his back. "Or...O-Orson-san?"

"Raphtalia-chan?" Blinked Orson as he stood beside Takehide, staring down at the small Tanuki.

"I was just about to have her do some training, can you guys leave?" Naofumi sourly muttered.

Takehide raised a brow before letting out a sigh, holding a sack at his side. "Eclair-dono, this is the Shield Hero," he gestured towards Naofumi with one hand and an honoring tone.

Eclair bowed her head, "It is an honor to meet you," though she wasn't impressed by the rumors. She knew they were false, but they still stick shallowly on her mind.

"Take-chan! You're back from Mirso?"

"I'll be heading back there next week, probably. I'll be heading towards the western territories in a few hours," Takehide reported to Elhart before cocking his head to the side. "I have the items you requested…" His eyes drifted from the blacksmith and over to the Shield Hero.

Raising her stave, Rino as she stood behind the other members of the Spear Hero's party, recited an advanced illusionary spell that covered the entire shop. "Zveit Silence!" Any shadows listening in from outside that room were now deafened.

Naofumi was staring at the fellow hero's level, being already over level fifty in just over three weeks and three days of arriving. Though curious about the girl's actions, he didn't address it and instead focused on the fellow Hero. All of the party members were around Takehide's level if not a little higher. "Where have you been...?"

"Eclair-dono wanted a chance to join your party," He gestured towards the Seayatto family member that stood the opposite of Takehide from Orson. "With her help, I think you'll be able to be a bit higher of a level…"

Skeptical his eyes scanned over the pink-haired woman, taking in those blue-hued eyes. Then his gaze wrapped itself back around Takehide like a triggered snake. "I won't be taking any more charity from you, you've already thrown enough at me!" Naofumi's brow twitches involuntarily out of sudden anger. Taking out the book Takehide had given him, he threw it to the floor in front of the Spear Hero. "I've read it twice… I have enough so that Raphtalia and I can fight on our own."

"Naofumi-sama," Eclair stepped forward as Takehide said nothing in response, "My intention to join your party has nothing to do with charity. I've been given orders from the Queen, by a proxy, to physically protect you from machinations of the Church until she returns."

"Proxy…?" Naofumi narrowed his gaze, "The Queen?" His thoughts went back to the night prior to his betrayal, how he learned the country was a Matriarchy. "The church is behind all this? Not that bastard King and his bitch of a daughter?"

Eclair straightened out her lips as she kept a dutiful expression about herself. "The Queen's Shadow gave us a basic rundown of what had gone on… The King collaborated with the church in order to summon all of the Heroes. Myne, otherwise known as Melty, had only used you as a stepping stone. If it wasn't you, it might as well have been someone else."

"Yeah… I figured that much," Naofumi still remembered the book that had brought him here spoke of a princess who was up to no good. "And if I don't let you join me?"

"I will be forced to go to the Queen," Eclair informed him almost sorrowfully.

"If she leaves my party without joining yours, there's a chance that Church's people will likely throw her back in prison, or kill her. Of course, after forcefully resetting her level." Takehide crossed his arms as he said this, letting out a sigh.

Naofumi whistles, "Sounds like wasted time…" That was when his sights set down on Raphtalia, who was getting her head patted by Orson, "And what about him?"

"This is Orson-san, his children were taken by soldiers. They were demihumans… We're currently searching for known slave owners to see if they have them. We plan on buying the kids back." Takehide crossed his arms, "Or taking them back by any means necessary."

Elhart sweatdropped, "I heard nothing."

"Then, once they're at an adequate level, I'll free Orson from his obligations." Takehide shrugged his arms before letting his hands fall to his sides, then knelt down and picked up the book. "Have you tried learning any magic?"

"No, not yet..." Naofumi uttered in irritation, "I stopped at the castle library last week only to find I couldn't even read."

"Ah…" Takehide scratched the back of his head as his thoughts went back to the studies he did with Rino. He only learned a handful of spells, but he could read the language quite well now. For whatever reason should he lose his legendary weapon, he figured he could get around unhindered by the lack of an audio translator. "How many more minutes, Rin-tan?"

"Ten minutes…" Rino replied quietly.

"Rin-tan…?" Naofumi blinked at the playful name the Spear Hero used for one of the party members. "You gave your group a little nicknames?" A small grin took his lips, temporarily destroying his scowl.

Chuckling quietly to himself as he put the book away, Takehide grinned back at him. "Ellie-chan, Rin-tan, and Ore-kun to be exact." He ticked cheerfully, holding a finger up as if he was making a point.

That was when the sound of a draconic chirp escaped from behind the group.

Naofumi, Elhart, and Raphtalia all looked to Elena who everyone stepped away from. In her hands was a winged dragon with smooth ivory white scales and big sky blue eyes. Though what caught their attention was the someone standing beside her.

There stood a short female form, with pale skin blonde hair and electric blue eyes, dressed in red aristocratic garments stood; staring at them. A pair of perky white mouse ears were sticking out of her red witch-like hat and a white jabot hung around her neck.

"Is that a Dragon?" Naofumi pointed at the winged beast.

"Yes, it hatched yesterday…" Laughed Takehide, "His name is Takumaru-san." Gesturing towards the mouse girl who was in her early level forties, he smiled. "And this is Kaede-chan."

Kaede bowed her head silently, as she practically hid in Takehide's shadow. She wielded an expertly crafted blue shafted Partizan with a blue jewel embedded at the base of the blade. A piece of blue ribbon hung freely just under the blade guard.

"Where did you get the Dragon?" Naofumi inquired curiously.

"Beloukas the slave trader sells monster eggs for one hundred silver each, you have a chance to win a Dragon that is worth a large sum of gold… Or a fluffy Filolial."

"Filolial?" Naofumi pursed his lips.

Takehide waved his hand in dismissal as if it wasn't anything big or new. "Those bird things you've seen pulling carriages. Apparently they have a deep-rooted hatred for Dragons… So I might not be getting one of those," a nervous laugh escaped his lips.

"Oh?" Naofumi was interested in getting a rideable mount of some kind, be it a horse, dragon, or a bird. While a shield may not be good in mounted combat, it'll get him places quicker than just going on foot.

"Anyways… Time is running out," A sigh left his lips as he walked past Naofumi and placed the bag of items onto the counter. Wordlessly Elhart and Takehide exchanged the items for coins before the Spear Hero began to leave. "It was good seeing you again…"

The corner of Naofumi's lips twitched, "Right…"

"Did you register at the Dragon hourglass?"

"...If I did?"

"Then good, I'll see you at the wave in a couple of weeks… Probably."

With that Takehide and the rest of the Spear Hero's party, excluding Eclair, left the shop.

[ Eclair has left Takehide Eno's Party ]

Standing in front of Naofumi, Eclair left the Spear Hero's party allowing the Shield Hero to invite her. After a few seconds, a notification appeared in front of Naofumi, his gaze drifting over her now more in-depth stats.

[ Eclair has joined Naofumi Iwatani's Party ]

11