003 – Noble vs Plebeian
621 6 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Objection?” parroted Instructor Mills. “What’s there to object to?”

Mills’ calm but austere voice sent the whole place silent.

The earrings noble boy was no exception but his pride and arrogance pulled him through. “This whole thing is a farce. I understand that not everyone is deserving of being an elite but why is she one of the elites when it should have been me?” shouted the noble boy at the three Mavern’s Academy professors, who were all master level Magic-users.

“Apparently there is an idiot that dares to argue with the academy.”

Mavern’s Academy may have been sponsored and funded by a lot of nobles but they still held ample power themselves. They had produced not a few number of talents and significant figures. Their success was acknowledged and witnessed by many nations, including Zagan Empire and Rulkan Union.

“Boy,” the professor named Lilian Soraes finally spoke, “if you want make your case, at least try to apply some sense and logic.”

“Stop fucking with me!” swearing and snarling, the noble boy lock gaze with Soraes. “I am the young lord of Clan Talron. I have been given the utmost care and guidance since my Magic awakened. I have been praised by many masters as a prodigy. And now, you’re telling me, a prodigy, lost his spot of being an elite to a common girl?! How is any of this acceptable?!”

Soraes blinked. “Boy, your words would even baffle a buffoon.”

Her retort had only roused the noble boy’s anger. Magic was congregating in his palm.

“What the fuck is that boy trying to do?” Robert muttered in his heart.

“Enough, both of you!” the same tremor of a voice douse the blazing atmosphere. “Professor Soraes, you are a teacher now. You should be better. Not replying a student in kind.”

Against Robert’s expectations, Lilian Soraes accepted the rebuke with grace. “If that’s so, I apologized. I have overstepped the line.”

The noble wasn’t having it. “Bullshit! Such a tongue! If my father hear about this, he will have your—”

Before the noble boy could finish, Mills interrupted, “I said enough. Young Lord of Talron, if you think the academy had been unfair, perhaps you would like to issue a challenge?”

“Was there such thing?” Robert tried to recall but he came up with nothing. Must be something Mills taught up on the spot to quell the noble brat’s anger.

Eventually, the noble boy clicked his tongue. “Fine. I challenge that common girl or whatever, as long as things will go back to the right order. But I’m afraid for a plebeian like her, would she even know the first thing about Magic casting?”

Arrogant as it may sounded, the noble boy was right. Most of the new students here possessed Magic but it didn’t meant they knew how to utilize it. That was what they came to this academy for. It was only natural that nobles had received prior education to this matter given their wealth but the same couldn’t be said for commoners.

But it was obvious that the plain girl was an exception to that general knowledge.

Lilian Soraes sighed at the noble boy’s ignorance and so did Robert. He also didn’t missed the exasperated eye-roll from the stout girl.

“Olivia Harix, you also have a say in this.” Instructor Mills turned to the plain girl. “Do you accept the challenge from Asten Talron?”

Robert was surprised Instructor Mills knew the two’s names. He had thought it weird that none of the staffs were carrying anything similar to a list. Turns out, the list had been in Mills’ head.

The plain girl named Olivia also sighed. “Let’s just get this done and over.”

“Alright then. The duel shall take place right on this field, at this very moment. The judge shall be me and my colleagues here and the witnesses shall be the students here.”

Mills paused and looked around, scouring for any objections. He then looked back at the two competitors.

“This is a duel to compete for one’s Magic affinity superiority for a position in the elite class. This duel is strictly Magic only. No physical attacks. Specialization Magic is allowed. The first to get hit by Magic shall be the victor.”

With a single glare from Instructor Mills’, his intent transmitted clearly through everyone’s mind. The crowd immediately parted to form a ring with only the noble boy, Asten and the plain girl, Olivia in the center.

“That’s the power of charisma for you,” Robert gave Mills his honest praise. Robert was well-aware of how capable and versatile he himself was but charisma had never been a perk of his.

Asten sneered and boasted, “Hear that, plebeian? Specialization Magic is allowed. I advised you better give up right this instance, if you don’t want to get hurt. Understand that your previous success from before was nothing more than a fluke.”

“Even if it was a fluke, the spot still wouldn’t have been yours,” Olivia calmly retorted.

Robert could saw Asten’s forehead twitching in response.

Mills ignored the exchange and proceeded to the countdown. “Without further delays, let the duel commence in three, two, one, begin!”

“Taste the power of a prodigy!” Asten shouted as he raised a single hand. A red circle with Magic inscriptions drew itself out right in front of his palm. From the center of the circle, flames spewed out towards Olivia.

She retaliated with the same pattern, although there was no Magic circle on her part. It was just Magic essence coming together in her palm. Once it reached a certain stage, she unleashed the gathered Magic at her foe.

The two attack Magic clashed producing an instantaneous result. It was a draw but that conclusion could only be made by amateurs. Anyone with basic knowledge of Magic would understand Olivia was the superior as she had used conventional Magic against a Specialization Magic. If they were on the same level, Specialization Magic would have easily triumphed over conventional Magic.

But this duel’s victory condition was hitting the opponent. So for now, a victor has yet to be decided.

Asten hailed from a noble house, basic Magic education was mandatory. There was no way he hadn’t already realized Olivia’s superiority with the clash of both their Magic. Fate had long drawn the conclusion but Asten was too arrogant to accept it.

This time, he raised both of his hands, conjuring out a Magic circle larger than the previous one. With a battle cry, he shot out a larger stream of flames at Olivia.

Olivia on the other hand, kept her composure. Without hurry, she raised only her right hand and used the same attack Magic as before.

Two streams of Magic clashed once again. Instead of exploding like last time, the two Magic was now competing for supremacy as both struggled to push back the other.

Awes were raised from the spectators. Out of the three professors, Lilian Soraes was the one who looked to have the least interest for this duel. Robert was of the same sentiment.

The two clashing Magic was at a stalemate until the flaming stream from Asten began showing its dominance. The domination was slow but it picked up its pace as Olivia’s attack Magic slowly lost its strength.

“Oh?” Robert blurted out as he took noticed of Olivia’s free left hand. She was conjuring up another attack Magic in that hand.

“You lose, plebeian. Such is your pathetic fate! Too bad, it’s too late to give up now!” Asten mocked with all the confidence in the world. It was clear to Robert that Asten failed to notice that little detail.

“Indeed, it is too late,” without being hooked by his taunt, Olivia threw her right hand up. Along with her own Magic, she parried Asten’s Magic up along into the clear blue skies.

“W-what…?” Asten could only stutter on what had just occurred. Even the crowd were silenced with amazement and confusion. They had the eyes that say, “you can do that?”

While Asten was still in a daze, Olivia unleashed the conjured Magic in her left hand. Due to his inexperience, there was nothing he could do or even think of.

“You bi—!” his cursing was cut short as the attack Magic hit him square in his abdomen and lifted him off his feet. He landed on his posterior a few meters from his original position.

“Set!” Mills’ voice rang loud and clear. “The victor is Olivia Harix. She will be retaining her position in the elite class.”

Cheers erupted from the crowd, mainly the commoners. The nobles’ reactions were split into three. The jeers, the applause, and the impassive.

Seeing the nobles who applauded, Robert was a little relieve that the basket of apples were not all rotten.

“Remember, from this moment on, challenge for a position is no longer allowed. Let this be an one and only occasion for the special circumstances that occurred. Once again, you are all dismissed.”

Robert was right. It was an on-the-spot solution.

“Bullshit! I—” Asten interrupted himself with a cough. Only after a few more coughs, he managed to get the words out, “I…. refuse…. I refuse to accept this spurious results.”

Robert planted his face into his palm as he let out a long deep breath filled with nothing but exasperation.

It was Asten’s lost, a fact quite apparent to everyone present except for the person himself. He attempted to stand but his legs gave out. All he could afford was to kneel on knee but even that proved to be strenuous.

“Asten Talron, pray tell, how is any of this unfair?” It was Lilian Soraes who spoke up.

Asten locked his furious gaze on the professor who questioned him, “she’s a plebeian. How dare she hurt me, a young lord from a noble house. How can a common girl like her actually beat a prodigy like me? Isn’t it obvious, you fools?!”

Murmurs began popping up among the crowd. The word “shameless” and other words of ridicule were thrown around the crowd.

“Oh? What is obvious, oh wise one?” challenged Lilian Soraes.

“She must have cheated,” Asten accused with no shame written anywhere on his face. “It’s obvious she used an artifact or drank some potion beforehand. Otherwise, how can a prodigy like me lost to her? How can a plebeian be in the elite class?”

“Asten Talron,” Mills stepped in, “Olivia Harix did no such things and there will always be at least two or more commoners in the elite class. I hope you stop underestimating and undermining the academy’s judgement and competency.”

“Do you even if know who I am, woman? I”m Asten of Clan Talron. A prodigy. I am—”

“Silence!” roared Mills.

Asten was still in chagrin but he was also stifled. His noble arrogance was no match for one acquainted with violence and death.

“What you are, Asten Talron, is a boy without hair on any parts of his body beside his head. Olivia Harix won because she is better than you. Plain and simple. Your status is not a factor in a duel. Your absence of strategy and tactic does not constitute your opponent as cheating. That is the reality and the truth. It would not change whether you accept it or not.”

“How impudent,” Asten was still spitting out his venom. “my family made generous donations to this sham of an academy. If my family heard about this today, they will—”

“For your sake, Asten Talron,” Mills stared Asten down, “I hope they won’t. You brought enough shame for your family as it is.”

Asten tried to stand but his injuries dragged him back down.

“Healers, tend to his young lord’s injuries and bring him to the infirmary room immediately after, do it at once.”

Adhering to the war veteran’s commands, the healers got to work swiftly.

Mills turned to the anxious crowd who were awaiting his instructions, “on behalf of the academy, we apologized for the event that have transpired. We appreciate your patience and consideration. Once again, and hopefully for the last time, you are all dismissed.”

Although there was a brief pause, everyone began moving after.

Without any further commotion, the crowd soon began to disperse but a few students lingered behind. Some were stunned, some were in awe, some were both. Some were even swarming Olivia with praises and cheers. Her display of courage, integrity, and strength had attracted gazes of all kind from her kin. Obligatory and goes without saying, there were a few unpleasant gazes from the nobles but the noble majority had already left the scene.

Olivia was smiling and humbly received the praises. Due to her taciturn expression from before, Robert was caught off guard by her smile. All of a sudden, she didn’t looked that plain to Robert.

“That’s a nice smile,” Robert remarked in wonder. Plain as she may had been, her smile was surely something to die for and Robert didn’t felt like he was exaggerating. He admitted in his heart that he was a little smitten by her smile.

“Not good, not good. Focus.” Robert shook himself and forced his eyes away from the captivating smile. It was alluring and it wasn’t even aimed at him specifically. “What a frightening girl.”

Even while being carried away on a stretcher, Asten’s fading curses and complaint could still be heard but Robert recited, “ignorance is a bliss.”

“I guess this is finally over?” Robert wished, hopefully.

He then searched for the other two who were at the back of his mind, the stout girl and the frail girl. But the two were already gone from sight no matter where he looked. The frail girl most likely had been dragged away by the mood and the crowd but Robert wagered the stout girl was simply wise enough to leave before she got pulled into any further troublesome matters. Robert could traced their Magic and tracked them down but he wasn’t so boorish.

More importantly, he had other matters to tend to.

All in all, Robert was just relieved that this was all over— no, not yet. He couldn’t leave the academy yet. There was still one thing had to do.

He still had his secret date.

 

20