007 – Soup for two
533 8 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This chapter contains some suggestive R-18 contents that might disagree with some readers. Viewers discretion is advised.

Dawn had broke, heralding the beginning of the weekends. Students took it upon themselves to dub it the “Twin Days of Salvation.” During these two days, students had a break from school. A respite from the arduous five days of learning, this was the general consensus of the students. Life and business went on like any other day for the others.

The ones who shared this fortune were educators and teachers working in learning institutions. Lilian Soraes was one the fortunate few but she was only free of her responsibilities as an educator, she had other obligations and duties to fulfill.

While the sun had only peaked from the horizon, lives were already blooming back into the city. Travelling down the streets in a fine carriage that wouldn’t spill the passenger’s status, Lily gave her silent thanks to the commoners who had work hard for the nobles. She herself wasn’t of low birth but neither was she highborn. She was somewhere in between but her power and influence rivaled even the nobles who stood at the zenith in Midas Valley. This was only possible due to her employer, the enigma known simply as Mr. Smith.

Lily drew a lot of gazes at her way despite her subtlety. It wasn’t rare for nobles to pass through common streets in unmarked and humble carriages but they looked on due to the direction the carriage was heading. The path leads down only to a dead end.

After the carriage left the busy streets and losing the dubious eyes, it turned into a shadier path with much less presence. At the end of this dismal road, there was a building with only a single storey. It was old and faded but the little house stood strong against the test of time. Hanging on the roof was a lonely sign that indicates the purpose of this lonely building, a bookstore.

Lily got off the carriage and gesture for the coachman to wait. She was wearing formal and proper robes befitting of someone with a status but as Robert Ross would put it; she would fit right into a brothel as a harlot. She lost the glasses and fancied her hair into an half-upswept, which would only enhance Robert’s impression of her duality.

She entered the building through the front door and the entrance bell rang to announce her presence.

There was an elderly behind the counter, going through a huge book with a list of names and numbers. It didn’t Lily long to figure it out it was a ledger but she kept her tact and turned her eyes away. The elderly lady made a short trip to get around the counter. With slow and careful steps, the old lady reached out her hand to Lily’s, beaming with a smile.

“Lily!” she greeted with a meek but enthusiastic voice, “so nice to see you. I trust that you have been eating and resting well?”

Lily gave an uncharacteristic gentle smile, “I am well and it’s good to see you too, Mrs. Yu.”

The elderly lady, Mrs. Yu gave a short bow. “I trust that my sparrow have found its way to you in good health?”

“It has. I received your report and message just fine.”

“That’s good, that’s good,” saying so, Mrs. Yu nodded.

“Is our guest awake?”

“Awake?” Mrs. Yu put on a difficult face, “I don’t think he had gone to bed at all. What a curious little fellow.”

“He came back somewhere between dawn and midnight, no?”

“He did and in good shape. He’s quite a nice man. He greeted me and even apologized for waking me up. He’s not what I expected from the way Tann described about him. I thought he would be going to sleep but he stayed up reading.”

Lily had a sullen face when she heard that, “all night?”

“He was still reading when I woke up,” Mrs. Yu pointed at the dusty shelves, “he got the books from there.”

After looking at the shelves with empty gaps, Lily turned back to Mrs. Yu, “You said he’s a nice man but you know he’s only fifteen, right?”

“So he says, dear Lily, but do you thinks those eyes belong to a child?”

Lily said nothing in return.

“Whatever his circumstances are, I trust that he has a good reason for his secrets.”

“I understand, Mrs. Yu. Secrets are part of our trade, after all.”

While the two were conversing, an aroma drifted into their nose from the back.

“Did you left something on?” asked Lily.

“Me?” Mrs. Yu blinked. “Heavens no. You know I don’t cook anymore. I can barely lift a pot. It must be the fellow.”

Lily glimpsed at the small hallway that led to the residential part of the building.

“Mr. Smith really does have an eye for people,” Mrs. Yu said with a warm feeling. “Well Lily, if there’s nothing else. I’ll be resuming to my work,” Mrs. Yu said so and retreated back behind the counter.

“Of course, I”ll leave you to it then,” Lily bowed with a nod of her head and headed to the back of the store.

She followed the aromatic smell into the hallway. The closer she came, the more distinct the smell became to her. “Mushroom soup?” she mused.

The smell led her to the last door on the left. The door was left slightly open. She peaked through the small gap. The view of Robert stirring a pot with a ladle while adding some finely diced herbs into it  was presented before her.

Before she could knock, a voice came, “come in.”

It was from Robert. Though he hadn’t spare a glance behind, he knew Lily was there. Lily made a repeated mental note of not giving into Robert’s antics.

“Breakfast is almost ready, just a minute.”

Lily entered and closed the door behind her. The room wasn’t too small but neither was it vast. It had no other rooms besides the one she was in. Everything was simple and kept to the minimum The kitchen was segregate with a round dining table which only had three lonely stools.

On the dining table, there was a plate of buns and two sets of cutleries. Lily’s eyes were set on the two prepared soup spoons. “Were you expecting a guest?” she asked.

“Yes,” Robert promptly answered, pouring the soup he finished stirring into two bowls.

“Who?”

Robert carried the bowls the table, pushing one to Lily. He grinned, “you.”

Lily stared, her gaze alternating between the bowl of soup and Robert. “You were expecting me?”

“More like you were expecting me— well, a report from me.”

Lily sighed in resignation and took a seat across Robert.

With a look of content, Robert began eating by tearing off pieces of bun before dipping into the soup. He had a look of bliss when he was chewing.

“I heard you haven’t had a wink of sleep?”

“I don’t need to.”

Lily cast an inquisitive gaze on Robert, “you don’t sleep?”

“Don’t need to,” Robert let out a self-ridiculing chuckle, “my body is frailer than the average person of my age but my unique constitution gave me some side benefits.”

“So you don’t require rest?”

“I do need rest. I just have a differing way.”

“May I be curious?”

Without looking at her way, Robert answered, “I just need to be still and have a clear mind. I don’t need to close my eyes.”

“But can you sleep?”

“I can if I choose to but it will be very lightly.”

“I’m amazed, Robert. You truly don’t cease to astound me. You even came back from the Dark Zone unhurt,” Lily gaze feverish into Robert’s eyes. Without breaking their eye-contact, she took a sip of her soup. “Oh my! And you can cook too,” she complimented with a lick of her lips.

“Mr. Smith is getting what he paid for,” Robert replied, thought he was far more interested in his breakfast. “I appreciate your concern, if it’s not genuine.”

“You are mistaken, Robert. I am truly worried. Everyone who went to investigate the anomalies, they either returned damaged or they don’t return at all.”

“Damaged— like how?”

“Damaged in every way. The body, mind, and spirit.”

“Interesting,” Robert’s gleeful face of eating did not coincide with his tone and words.

“So, what have you discovered?”

After swallowing a large bite and a spoonful of soup, Robert told Lily everything from the night before.

“That’s… this is really unexpected…” Lily unconsciously rubbed her temple.

“Well, whatever is it, it didn’t seem contagious. I was hurt by the monsters but I didn’t feel anything like a curse or disease taking root within me. This curse… or whatever it is, it seemed you will only contract it if you get too close to the source.”

“These Ghoulish monsters and the missing Hunters— do you think they were all changed because they trod too close to the source?”

“Given what I know so far, that’s the only inference.”

“And what do you think could possibly be causing all this?”

“I have a few ideas, all based purely on hunch but nothing solid.”

Lily glared, “is that so?”

“Don’t look at me like that. I’m don’t have any intention that would bring detriment to you or Mr. Smith.”

“If you say so, I guess we can leave it at that.”

Robert resumed eating his breakfast, not that he actually stopped to talk.

“The other places with anomalies, do you think it will be the same?”

“Just from the reports, the only similarity was that no one came back whole from investigating these places. With that to go by, I will say they have at least some connection but I will have to see it for myself.”

“And what about the Raksa? You did not encounter it?”

Robert held his head sideways. “They did say it was sighted in the inner layer. So who knows, maybe I’ll encounter it when I tread deeper into the Dark Zone. But honestly, I hope I don’t come across it.”

“Oh? You’re not interested in the discovery?”

“Interested? Yes. But is it worth my neck for the curiosity? No.”

“Oh? Do you not desire glory, fame, or knowledge?”

“What good will those do if you’re dead?”

“I see,” Lily drank another sip of her soup. “In the meantime, we will increase our measures in making sure no one approach these places but the Dark Zone will be a different story. The economy relies on it.”

“If you can’t prohibit it, minimize it,” Robert casually gave a suggestion.

“And what you said about the inner layer— that’s harrowing. It shows that not only the humans, animals, and monsters are affected but even the environment is twisted to the anomalies’ whims.”

“Nothing I can do right now,” Robert said as he finished his bread, “not until I get my sword.”

“You mean the sword that you specifically requested to be made with White Copper and Vermilion Birch as its handle?”

Robert nodded.

“What’s with the peculiar request? Why White Copper? Even a normal iron sword can cut better.”

Robert downed the remaining portion of his soup.

“I’m sure even if you request a sword to be made of Obsidian Steel, Mr. Smith wouldn’t refuse.”

Robert raised a stare at Lily, “a blade is useless if it can’t reach.”

“If you say so,” Lily nodded. She understood nothing but she was adhering to her recently established principle.

“Obsidian Steel is around five hundred thousand Ria per ingot and that’s not counting the cost of the smith works. You sure I’m allow to have this much privilege?”

Lily curled her lips into a vague smile, “you still have no idea how much Mr. Smith trusts you, do you?”

“I won’t put it that way. Knowing and believing are two distinctive definitions.”

Lily was reminded of Mrs. Yu’s words.

Do you thinks those eyes belong to a child?

“You know, you speak for him as if you were him,” Robert observed Lily, “I’m sure he trusts you so much more than me.”

“You jest, my dear Robert. I don’t speak for him. He just gave very precise and clear instructions. I’m just another humble employee or servant of his.”

“Yeah… if you say so,” Robert shrugged. “And I have to know, are we the only one who calls him, Mr. Smith, while everyone else calls him “my employer” like Mr. Tann?”

“Actually, Mr. Tann is the only—” before all the words could leave her mouth, she froze. She glared at Robert, biting her lips. “Oh you bastard, you almost had me.”

“Hmm, it was worth a try,” Robert shrugged again and got up, taking the dishes along with him to the sink. “But at least now I know you’re not so humble as you claimed to be.”

“Anyways,” Lily faked a cough, attempting to steer the conversation away to a different topic, “what’s your next move? Are you going back to the forest?”

“I have already tested the waters in the Dark Zone. That will be enough, for now,” Robert answered as he washed the dishes. “I’m thinking of investigating the other sites. If I remember correctly, the next place with the most incident and activities was an abandoned village.”

“Yes. Pine Grove. It was a beautiful place. It got its name from the Pine Trees that grew around the village and the crystal clear pond nearby,” Lily proceeded to flaunt her knowledge, “it was an extremely lively village until a month ago, when the anomalies happened. The villagers were all dead or missing. No one knows why or how. There were sightings of figures roaming around the village during the night but you already know what happened to the ones who went to investigate.”

“Then, that’s where I’ll go.”

“Oh right, please do take extra care from now.”

Robert arched an eyebrow, “what’s wrong?”

“The interested parties were inactive as of late since they weren’t able to make heads or tails of the anomalies.”

“Until today?”

“Until today,” nodded Lily. “It seems your activities from last night have riled them up. They think one of the interested parties had a breakthrough but they do not know which. So, they’re moving again.”

“And what’s the procedure if I encounter one of them?”

“No witnesses, through whatever means necessary,” Lily said, her eyes hinted no traces of jesting.

“Understood,” Robert nodded back in kind.

Lily’s lips curled back into a smile at that next moment. “What about in the meantime then?” she asked as she finally finished her soup. She flicked the empty bowl and the spoon into the air, and the two landed right into the sink. The bowl was made of porcelain but there wasn’t a single crack.

“Neat,” Robert praised in his heart but he already figured out the trick. Infused the bowl with the right amount of Magic, just enough to last the short travel and the landing against the solid surface of the sink. It sounded and looked easy but the level of control was that of a master. Put too little Magic, the infusion will fade too soon. Put too much Magic will instantly destroyed the bowl. And not to neglect the right amount of strength and Magic put into the flick too.

Lily’s title of Professor and a master of Magic weren’t just for show, Robert had now confirmed it.

He finished washing up the dishes and turned to Lily. “Well, I build a lot of rush last night. I’m thinking of visiting a brothel.”

Lily blinked but she immediately got back her senses. “Unfortunately, the red light district doesn’t operate during the day. And I have to ask, out of personal curiosity, you have done the deed?” Lily had a look that was close to frowning.

Robert smirked, “I’m not a virgin, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“You’re fifteen?”

Robert nodded.

“When did you have your first time?”

Robert thought about it for awhile before answering, “I would say nine but… I’m got my cherry officially popped at twelve.”

“What happened when you were nine?”

“Well, in the distant countrysides, out of the sight of the authority figures, people are more— for a lack of better word, unreserved. And also more insouciant with the laws. I was exposed and taught a few things by the harlots back in my town since I was nine. And when I was twelve, they finally threw all of their restrains out the window.”

Lily stared. “Harlots? Not a harlot but harlots? Plural?” This was the turmoil brewing in her mind.

“You can stop with the sympathetic gaze. Trust me, it’s less bleak than I made it sound. And the harlots weren’t exactly bad people.”

“Women who forced themselves on a boy who isn’t even of age, aren’t bad people?”

“I’m sure the underworld of Midas Valley had worse to offer. At least, I wasn’t sold for body parts or as a slave.”

Lily continued to stare.

“I know what you’re thinking but regardless, it’s all in the past.”

“Oh Robert. My dear sweet Robert,” Lily shook her head while sighing, “if I didn’t knew better, I would have think that you were born amid the underworld.”

“You and me both.”

“Perhaps when things are much calmer, I might just have a taste of you.”

Now, it was Robert’s turn to stare. He then looked away and faked a cough, “anyways, back to my predicament. Aside from the brothels in the red light district, I’m sure a lady like you of a humble position would know a few places?”

Lily slowly bend her finger towards herself.

“No.”

“Oh my, how curt.” Lily leaned her face into her palm. “Well, there are a few places I can think of and—” she peered at Robert, a mischievous smile appeared on Lily’s face, “discreet, experienced, gentle, proper— well, proper is debatable.”

The subtle insult did not went unnoticed but Robert wasn’t so petty to be nettled.

“I have something in mind for someone of your criteria,” her smile widened. “That is if you can conform to the aforementioned points. Can I have your word on it?”

Robert narrowed his eyes. As alluring as it was, he saw her smile as a monkey’s paw. The proposal wouldn’t be without its demerits but the smile had a hint of assurance that he would definitely find euphoria.

“Well… fuck it,” Robert decided. They still need him. Lily would not bring any permanent harm to a valuable investment. He stared right back at her impish eyes and said, “I’m listening.”

16