017 – To be a friend
398 7 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
A little surprise at the end of the chapter.

“I’m also looking for a friend,” said Robert, “but I believe we have a different definition.”

Valena nodded. It wasn’t her usual meek nod, it was normal. She kept her silence and drank a sip of her fruit milk, a concoction of cow’s milk blended with a variety of citrus fruits. The taste was refreshing and filling. It was a popular choice of meal for those who seek to eat less. A bulging belly was the rage of concerns in the city nowadays.

However, Valena wasn’t worry about her volume of consumption nor a bulged belly. Her worry was of a bulge but it situated somewhere higher than her belly, pass her chest, neck, and eyes. It was the knob on her forehead. How it came by was a tale and shame she swore to carry to her grave.

She occasionally brushed her fingers around the lump on her head which had been patched up by Melissa. An embarrassing story, it had been. Melissa had came back with the drinks just as the bell rung. The bell rung was due a blunder that no one would ever believed it happened. Assailed by an awkward sight, Melissa exercised full prudence and said nothing of the scene. She settled the drinks in front her customers as usual before proceeding to her irregular task, patching a customer up.

And Robert learned something new. The whole room was enchanted with a sound inhibition spell to respect the customers’ privacy. Only the sound of the handbell could travel out of the room. Now, Robert understood how trustworthy the diner was. Nevertheless, it did not ease the consequences of Valena’s blunder.

To prevent a repeat of history, Robert moved the handbell to the floor.

“Well Robbie…” Seven called out.

“What?”

“I forgive you for trying to take the life of my mistress. You have my full empathy now.”

It was two completely different circumstances, Robert thought. Although, this was Seven. In just one night and not even a full morning, Robert came to know just how vivid her imagination could get.

“Seven…!” rebuked Valena with puffed cheeks.

She reminded Robert of the plump bird and speaking of which, the bird was still nearby. Robert could tell it nested itself on the roof, waiting for him.

“Joking, mistress. It is about time you learned, no?”

“Not a good time,” Valena dryly retorted.

“You might be right about that,” Seven agreed. The shadows rippled.

“What?” Robert asked as he felt Seven staring at him.

“You said something pertaining to my mistress’ intention. Having similar intent, is it?”

“Yes,” Robert answered. “More precisely, I’m looking for an ally to assist me in my— quest? Yeah, quest.”

“You mean me, not my mistress, right?”

“Both of you.” In a sense, he only needed Seven’s Magic but as far as he could tell, he had a feeling that they came as a set.

Seven made a sound whereas Valena fumbled at her words with a pleased expression.

“But before we go any further with that matter, I’m curious about the relationship of you both.”

“I was certain that I have made it clear, have I not?”

“You were using your mistress’ body to move around as you please. And you said your mistress retains her awareness to some degree. How does it all work?”

“Move around as I please? I wish that to be the truth.”

“You killed four people with your mistress’ hands. Forgive me for being fearful of that aspect. Let’s say if I am to be one of your friend and I let my guard down for a brief moment, what assurance do I have that you wouldn’t took over my body too and went about raising cain?”

“You’re wrong!” Valena cut in. “Seven wouldn’t do something like that. I was the one that let her do what she want with my body! She’s not at fault!”

A wave of silence washed over the room.

Valena shrunk back into her seat. “I’m sorry…” she muttered. She realized her choice of words were suggestive.

“I understand, Lady Devetra but you have to understand something too. Regarding her possession ability, is consent mandatory or optional, I’ll need to know if we’re keeping this acquaintance.”

It was obvious Valena wanted to refute but as always, she couldn’t find her words.

“Mistress?” Seven asked, “may I?”

Valena nodded. “Go ahead, Seven.”

Without her usual lark, Seven disclosed everything she deemed obligated to Robert, the time of her first meeting with Valena, her relationship with Valena, and the extent of her abilities.

They met purely by chance. Spirits existed everywhere and they are invisible to the eyes of human unless they wished to be seen or they made a contract with one. Seven was passing by when she heard the weeping Valena in her room. She revealed herself to Valena then. They talked and over time, they became friends. They made a contract in which Seven had absolute freedom but Valena’ commands and wishes came first. She was free to use her abilities as she saw fit as long as it didn’t defy her mistress’ wishes. Her so-called possession ability could only be done to her contracted human.

Shortly after their acquaintance and approximately more than a month ago, the aberrations finally became apparent to humans. The aberrations were there since half a year ago but it was only recently that it grew into the humans’ notice.

“Hold it there,” Robert interrupted Seven’s tale, “half a year ago?”

“Yes, it all started half a year ago but it happen in places with infrequent presences. The humans of course, have long discovered it but they did nothing. Out of sight, out of mind, they sure love that phrase. Now that everything is in their faces— you know what happened.”

“Interesting.” This was news to Robert. “No one tried to do anything?”

“Some tried. Emphasis on try because they were severely underestimating it and their attempts hardly constituted as efforts. Those who did take it seriously did not have the resource to match their fervor.”

“If I’m hearing this right, are you implying you know where it started?”

Seven was quiet for a while before she continued, “I do not know—”

Robert had a portent.

“—but there is a way to know.”

Robert’s pupils expanded to its limits as he lurched up from his seat. ”Tell me,” he said with a tone contrary to his abrupt movements.

Seven giggled with her fore finger swaying left and right. “Not so fast, Bob Rosie.” A shadow rose into a shape of an arrow, pointing at Valena.

Valena herself had a hopeful look as she sipped on her drink.

Robert eased himself back onto his chair. “But you helping her to have me befriend her?”

“Yes,” answered Seven.

“You wish no harm to befall on your mistress.”

“Naturally.”

“What about last night then? If that’s not putting her in harm’s way, then I—”

“Seven is not in the wrong! I insisted on it! You can’t blame her!”

Robert stared at Valena who came to Seven’s defense with thunderous vigor.

Instead of shrinking back like always, she locked gaze with Robert.

“You have a good mistress,” Robert said. He did not mentioned the fact that Valena was red to her ears and lips trembling.

“I know. I am so fortunate. I want to be the mistress sometimes.”

“Seven did nothing wrong. She’s merely complying my whiches—” Valena bit her tongue. She realized her botch but she did not back down. Her reddening face was not helping her case but Robert wasn’t so boorish to point that out.

“For a friend, she’s willing to go this far. Impressive.” Robert scratch his head as he looked at the unwavering Valena and her frolicking shadows. “Before I agree anything, I still do not know how does the possession work?”

“Well, for one, it is no possession,” Seven corrected him. “To interact with a plane, a native medium is required, that goes for everything, Gods are no exception. Have you ever wondered why ghosts can not be perceived through the normal means?”

Without much hesitation, Robert answered, “ghosts are often depicted as remnants of the dead but ghosts are in fact, souls. And a soul of a human is something call a Primal Essence, native not to this mortal plane but the Divine Realm. After all, humans aren’t the creation of Gods, the souls are. The Gods made the souls, tossed them into this world and gave them a medium to interact with this world.”

“Oh my, Bobby Rosie. I think I have undermined your knowledge.”

“I read a lot and religious texts just love this topic. So, it’s rather hard to miss it.”

“I concur but how many do you reckoned took it that topic to heart? It’s the same as Limbo.”

“Fair point.”

The shadows pulsed. “Now, treat the body as a carriage. I am merely a passenger at the consent of the owner which is also the coachman of this carriage, or in this case, coachwoman. She has the reins. At most, I can only put my head out the window and advise her. I cannot steer the horses.”

Robert drank his fruit milk as he absorbed Seven’s explanations. Multitude of flavors enveloped his tongue. He shuddered at the feeling but held himself from making it obvious. “Yeah, not for me.”

“But if she allows it, she can hand me the reins and in turn, she becomes the passenger and I the coachwoman but she is still the one choosing the destination. As the passenger, she can gaze at the passing view or she can choose to sleep through the journey or simply just take a nap.”

“So in the end, Valena decides everything.”

The shadows throbbed. Robert took it as a nod.

“Even when you’re the one with the reins.”

“Correct, Ross.”

“If that’s how it is,” Robert turned his eyes to Valena. “what were you thinking last night?”

“Me? I was— I was…” Before the startled Valena could craft a complete respond, knocks echoed into the room.

“Come in,” Robert said in the stead of the dazed Valena.

Melissa wasn’t present this time around which was a relief for Valena. It was two unfamiliar waiters who served them their meal. Minced-beef Pie for Robert and a Creamy Broth Rice with pork for Valena. They went as quick as they came. Probably because they were feeling the strained mood lingering around the two.

“I’m still waiting for your answer.”

“My mistress was merely sympathizing with my—”

“Shut up, Seven. I’m talking to her not you.”

“How rude. It is my duty to—”

“It is your duty to shut up and let her speak. You can’t speak for her every time. You’re not the one trying to be my friend, she is.”

The shadows shirked.

“Honestly speaking, I need your strength, Lady Devetra. I need you and Seven but what you did last night, it was nothing short of impetuous. I don’t care how you find those merry band but do you even know who they are and what they are liable to do?”

“Actually, I found them by chance. The thugs were loose with their tongue from daylight drinking. And I just happened to be strolling by.”

Robert glared at the black puddle beneath Valena’s feet. “That’s not the point. Your abilities are amazing, I won’t dispute that. But your mistress and your rumination leaves much to be desired. Can’t say I’m reassured of having such individuals at my rearguard.“

“Robert Ross, while I enjoyed our banter but there is a line that even you should not cross,” Seven warned.

“But am I wrong?”

“I am known to be sloven but having the same said to my mistress is something that I cannot abide.”

“You’re not answering my question here, Seven.”

“I have no obligation to answer those questions, boy.”

“So you don’t deny you’re mistress is an idiot?”

“Insolent as always you are, Robert Ross.” Shadows flared at Robert like a rampant growth of thorns. “My mistress may be naive but she is no idiot. A single fraction of her intelligence towers over all the thugs’ combined.”

“So you’re saying she’s quite clever, then.”

“Cleverer than someone I know. Clever enough to know there are some lines that you—” Seven froze at her lack of discernment. She was played.

“I see, she’s clever,” saying so, Robert shifted his gaze to Valena. “That’s why you let me lived, isn’t it? You hope that I will sow discord if you ever need a way out.”

Valena’s shoulders twitched.

“It was your idea, wasn’t it, Valena Devetra.”

“I…I…”

“Seven wouldn’t let me live. She’s protective. She wouldn’t risk it. If I’m discovered, suspicions will be pointed at you, which it did happened. Seven wouldn’t possibly let something like that happened.”

“Dear Robbie, you are making a terrible mis—” Seven spoke—

—but Robert shut her up with a gaze. “She chooses the destination. Contemplate on that.”

Seven stayed silent.

“It seems someone isn’t very honest here.”

“I-I really want to be f-friends…” Casting her gaze down, Valena started shivering.

“Look at me.”

“I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean a-any….”

“Look at me.”

“I-I thought…. I…”

“Look. At. Me.”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m—”

Robert slammed the table. “Look at me!!” he roared.

In a split moment, the cutleries soared into the air, but not from the slam of the table but of Magic, Valena’s Magic. The cutleries had their sharp edges and pointed tip directed at Robert.

To such a happenstance, Robert simpered. “Kinesis, I should have known.”

“You knew all along?” Seven asked with a hollow voice.

“I did.”

“When?”

“When she jostled the vase. It fell too unnatural and too slow. It was either time-attribute Magic or Kinesis Magic. It couldn’t be wind, I would have felt it.”

Robert heard Seven clicked her tongue.

“You’re wrong,” Valena stood firm with her voice. “I didn’t meant any harm to you.”

“Perhaps you didn’t. But now, I want the truth.”

“It was not my intention to make you a distraction.” Atypical of her, Valena spoke her mind. “I left you alone. I let you live. Why do you doubt me?”

“I’ll admit. I don’t fully know why you let me live but if not as bait, then what? Out of kindness and sympathy?”

“Yes,” she asserted with an unflinching gaze.

Robert froze. His face spilled his confusion.

“You really don’t believe me?”

“Whatever have I done to deserve your kindness? You don’t know me and I barely know you. Why would you help me?”

Valena returned an equally baffled expression. “I saw a boy— a boy of my age, stifled in hiding. What am I supposed to do? Fed you to the thugs who probably forces themselves on children as their pastimes? Or tell on you to the holy men who probably execute any being that was less holier than them?”

A boy of my age, it hit him. It was such a simple reason all along. Robert knew he hadn’t been much of a boy befitting of his age. To Valena, he was probably just some lost boy who got himself into predicament with no way out and was cowering in hiding. In just three days, he had been constantly reminded that his personality betrayed his visage. Now that he thought about it, him feeding the shadow-morph cat was quite a childlike thing to do.

“I now know you’re different than what your appearance suggested but it doesn’t change my feelings. I want to be friends with you.”

“I tried to kill you.”

“You tried. You didn’t kill me…”

“You know what I’m liable to do, you still want to be my friend.”

Valena nodded.

“Even though I only want your powers.”

She nodded again.

“Even though I might be force to kill you some time in the future?”

Valena said nothing.

“Ah… she’s really not afraid. Rather, she welcomes the fact that someone tried to kill her. To her live which she lived all alone, it was a testament that she exists as a person.” Robert turned to Seven, the shadows.

“Your signal for assistance has been denied. I am merely a servant without a place to speak.” Seven spoke only to Robert.

“Sink any lower and you might just find gold.”

Seven sulked. “Oh, be quiet, you.”

Twiddling her fingers, Valena asked, “am I no good?”

“You can start by lowering the spoons, fork, and knives.”

Thrown back into reality, Valena willed the cutleries back to their respective position in a fluster.

Their food should have gone cold but it was still warm. Robert noticed the faint traces of Magic circulating around the dishes, it kept the food warm. “And to think the shop had such humility,” Robert mused.

Robert cut a piece of the pie and savored the first taste of the crust, the sauce, and then the meat. “Not bad at all,” he evaluated.

Valena silently shove a small portion of her rice into her mouth. The flavor spread inside her mouth like fireworks. She would be drowning in bliss if it wasn’t for the cumbrous air.

“You know how dangerous it can be if you become my friend.”

“Doesn’t matter.”

“Why did you went with Seven’s whims?”

“Whims?!” Seven shouted. “Excuse you, Bob Rose, I happen to be saving the world, for the sake of my mistress, not because I worked for some all-mysterious employer.”

As if Seven’s outburst was only an illusion, Valena briefly said, “I was angry.”

“I see.” Those three words were enough for Robert. She was angry with how her life had been, how everyone had treated her. She wanted to vent all those frustrations out and at Seven’s suggestion, manipulation, and whims, she embarked on a dangerous mission. Maybe she was trying to feel something in a life-threatening situation, Robert thought.

“You are demeaning me,” Seven proclaimed.

“It’s just your brilliant imagination like always.” Robert looked at Valena. “Last night, you liked it?”

“Y-yes. It was scary but it felt good. I feel alive. So please, I want to be your friend.”

“If you’re really insisting, you have to know, while I understand friendships, I was never good at them, you’re fine with that?”

“At least I have a friend.”

“You have Seven.”

“Not enough.”

“Wait, what?!” Seven exclaimed.

“I don’t think my friends will live long. You are going to die young.”

“At least I won’t die alone in the cramped confines that I called a home.”

Robert sighed. “I did let you live. I suppose I should see it all the way through. Please to make your acquaintance, Valena.”

“Me too, Robert.” Valena broke into a smile, dispelled of all worries.

Robert smiled back in resignation. He heard some dangerous-sounding giggles and low voices like, ”finally, a friend. A friend. Never going to let you go. Never never ever ever,” but he adhered to his principle.

“This one is still here.” Seven waved at them with a shadow tendril.

“Yes, I am aware. Now, you said something about a way to find out where all of the anomalies started?”

Seven ignored his question and snapped the tendril at him. ”She is not getting into your bed, I will personally make sure of that, impudent dog.”

“Not your decision, remember?”

A howl of frustration and vexation erupted in a room that let not the tiniest mote of noise escape beyond the glass doors.

 

Valena Devetra

Valena Devetra - via PitzMaker

(Can't find a green dress so I went with what was the most probable for her to wear.)

17