5 – The Girl Talk
563 8 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Warning: the beginning of this chapter might be distressing for some readers

Lara had no idea what she was going to do. She had never had an outburst like that before. Her family had always been so supportive and understanding that she rarely ever got seriously angry or upset with them. They had done so much to help her deal with superhero life. But nothing could have prepared them for this.

She needed to be alone, to think. She ran for the barn and slammed the door behind her. It was only then, upon seeing the wood crack with the force of the gesture that she realized how rough she was being. She was usually so careful with her strength, knowing the damage it could do. Great. One more thing to feel bad about.

She hid herself away in a back corner of the hay loft. Just a nice dark place to be alone and cry, thinking how badly she had screwed up. However she was only alone for what felt like a few seconds when she heard the barn door open again, much more gently this time. “Jon? Honey, are you in here?”

It was her mother’s voice, but Lara could hear she wasn’t alone. There was at least one other set of footsteps, and… maybe something else. She got her answer to the “something else” when Kara flew up to her hiding spot. “Lois! Ma! He’s up here!” She called down to the other women on the ground level.

Lois climbed up the ladder to the hay loft. “Jon?” she said, calmly. “It’s okay. I’m not mad. I just wanna talk.” She came and sat down next to Lara. Kara floated back down to the ground and quietly left the barn to give them some privacy.

Lara stayed where she was, hugging her knees and trying to avoid eye contact. She just wanted to be left alone. She shuddered as she felt her mom’s hand on her shoulder.

Lois sighed. “Oh, honey.” she said, making Lara feel a little better. “I’m so sorry about that. I know all this super-stuff is a lot for someone your age. But you enjoy it so much. It must be really confusing, especially with your powers coming in.”

Lara sniffed. Of course, her mom didn’t really understand what was going on. She never would unless she told her. But why couldn’t Lara bring herself to tell her? Why did it have to be so hard? How would her mom react if she told her?

Then, Lara remembered what Colin had told her about Lois. How she had written articles and campaigned for trans kids to get the love and support they needed. Maybe she could say something…?

Suddenly, Martha poked her head up into the hay loft. “Oh, you poor dear!” she said. “It must’ve been so stressful with everyone talking at once back there.” She came and sat on Lara’s other side.

“Tell you what, pumpkin!” said Martha, smiling. “I’ll let you in on a little secret. I was gonna have this be a surprise after dessert, but I’ll tell you now...”

Lara looked up. She didn’t know what this surprise could be, but maybe it could lift her spirits. Grandma had always been great at that.

Martha smiled “You know the story of how I helped your father with his first Superman outfit? Well, Clark and I have been working on a special outfit just for you, Jon. You finally get to see yourself as Superboy!”

Lara felt like she had just been punched in the chest. It was like some cruel prank. This was the ultimate confirmation that none of her family saw her as her true self. They all saw her as a boy. Worse, they saw her as “Superboy”, the masculine hero. She suddenly felt more devastated and alone than she had in a long time.

“Oh, I’m sure you’ll look very strapping!” continued Martha. “You’ll look just like… Jon? What’s the matter, dear?”

Lara could no longer contain her emotions as she burst into tears. Her head fell into her hands as she began to sob. It was hopeless. None of them understood. How could they if she would never tell them?

She felt her mother’s arms around her and she felt herself being pulled into a hug. She sobbed into Lois’s shoulder.

“Jon!” said Lois, her voice trembling. “It’s okay! Mommy’s here! What’s wrong? Please, sweetie, tell me!” Lois sounded like she was on the verge of tears herself.

“Pleathe..” choked Lara, through her sobs. “Don’t… Don’t call me that. I… I don’t wanna… I don’t wanna be...”

“Don’t call you what, dearie?” said Martha, who looked heartbroken that her surprise had backfired. “Superboy? But I thought you wanted to be…”

“No!” sobbed Lara. “I mean… I don’t... I can’t…I...”

It was no use. She was going to have to tell them. It was now or never.

“I don’t... want...to be… “Jon”...anymore…” She forced the words out slowly.

There was a long pause. Lara shut her eyes and waited for their reaction.

After what felt like an eternity, Lois broke the silence. “You… don’t want to be…?” She had clearly not expected this. “Sweetie, What do you mean?”

Lara took a deep breath, wiped her eyes and moved so that she was sitting face-to-face with her mother. “I’m… not… a boy.” she whispered, softley. “I… Mom, I’m…”

Lara swallowed, took a deep breath and finally said the words she had been trying to find the courage to say...

“I’m trans.” She whispered.

Silence fell. It was like a huge weight had been lifted off of Lara’s shoulders. But she didn’t feel relaxed yet. She’d only done the hard part. There was a lot more to come.

“Trans?” repeated Martha. “You mean like… transgender? You want to be…? I mean… You identify as…?” She stopped herself, apparently realising that it was best not to immediately bombard Lara with questions.

Lara took a deep breath and looked up into the eyes of her mother. Lois’s eyes glistened with the slight trace of tears, and her expression was a mix of shock and pride. Then, Lois smiled softly, and slowly lifted her hand to stroke the side of Lara’s face.

“Oh, sweetheart…” she whispered. “Oh, my baby...” she pulled Lara into a soft, warm embrace.

Lara could feel her tears returning, only this time, they were tears of joy. Had she done it? Was this real? Was this acceptance?

“I wanted to tell you last night” Lara muttered. “But I was too… I thought you’d be…” She was so overcome with emotion that she could barely form the words.

Lois hugged her daughter even tighter. “Oh sweetie!” she sobbed. “How could I be mad? Everything makes sense now! I’m so happy for you!”

Martha reached in to join the hug. She said nothing, but her face shone with pride for her granddaughter.

Lara smiled softly through her tears. She was reminded of looking in the mirror at Wayne manor, seeing herself in the pretty ballerina’s outfit, amazed at how pretty she looked. She remembered Colin calling her “Miss Kent” and how wonderful it had felt. The euphoria that Lara had felt in those moments was flowing through her tenfold, as she felt the love and acceptance of the two most important women in her life (Well… ‘cept Kara and, maybe, Wonder Woman).

After a solid minute of hugging, Lois spoke up. “So... Jo-...Um!.. I mean...” She winced at her own slipup, but Lara barely noticed. She was feeling too good to let it get her down.

“I’m sorry, honey.” Lois sighed. “This is all so much! I’m so proud of you!” She hugged her daughter again, before asking, “So, I guess first of all... What do you want to be called now?”

“Oh...!” said Lara. “I was, kind of thinking… maybe I could be… Lara? Y’know, after Dad’s Krypton-Mom?”

Lois smiled with pride at her daughter, as Martha gave a sigh of relief. “Thank goodness for that! For a second there, I thought you were gonna say my name.” She grinned at Lara, “Sorry, kiddo! There can only be one Martha Kent!”

The three ladies laughed, then Lois spoke. “Lara is a beautiful name. It suits you very well, honey.” She paused for a moment, as she began to realize everything the young girl had gone through, “I’m so sorry for anything we said and did, Lara. None of use ever wanted you to be uncomfortable.”

Lara didn’t mind at all. Hearing her mother call her by her new name made her happier than she could stand. She hugged her mom so tight, she made Lois wince, “Easy sweetie! Don’t break me!”

Martha wiped her eyes and stood up. Then she called out, “I CAN TELL YOU’RE ALL ARE LISTENING! Y’ALL BETTER COME IN HERE!”

Lara looked around and saw a very sheepish Kara poke her head through an upper window, followed by a very surprised looking Clark.

“Pa, we know you are there too!” Lois called this time and Jonathan Kent entered the barn from the back door, looking a little ashamed of himself.

“Conner! No point in hiding, your hearing is just as good as dads!” This time it was Lara that called, actually surprising Lois and Martha.

Conner entered by the front door and joined the line up of his ashamed family members, though he was the only one to not be embarrassed. “Come on pops! You didn’t have to hide outside the window to hear what they were talking about! I heard it all just fine from the living room. She was the only one who could tell I was listening!”

Conner turned his attention back to the three ladies in front of him, “I’m sorry I gave you a hard time tonight, but I’m proud of you, Lara.” He smiled. “This is great! I’ve got a little sister!”

Lara was shocked by how well Conner was reacting. He was even already using her new name and pronouns like it was the most natural thing in the world. He didn’t even seem surprised that Lara was a girl. “You’re not mad, Conner?” She asked.

“Not at all sis! Remember, I’m dating both Tim and Steph. Plus, I help lead the Titans. No one in that tower is completely hetero.” He came over, knelt down and gave Lara a hug, “I’m still your big brother. Nothing like this would ever change how much I love you.”

Lara hugged her brother as tight as she could, on the verge of happy tears again. She looked over her brother’s shoulder at the rest of the family. Jonathon caught her attention for a moment. He was smiling, but not as widely as most of the family. “Grandpa… You aren’t mad that I don’t want to be… To have your name anymore are you?”

“Of course not, kiddo” said the old man. “It’s just, well I have to admit. I’m having a bit of trouble understanding all this, but if it’s what makes you happy, then I’m happy.”

Conner let go of Lara and walked over to Pa Kent “Don’t worry Gramps, I’ll help you and Grandma with any questions you might have. I’ve had this talk with so many people I keep visual aids on my phone now.”

Conner led Ma and Pa Kent back to the house for what was undoubtedly a unique and insightful lecture on gender identity, leaving Lara to speak to Kara.

Kara smiled as she hugged her little cousin. “I’m so proud of you, Lara! I’m also happy that you chose that name. I’m sure both Lara-El and Jor-El would be honoured.”

Having arrived on Earth at the age of 13, Kara was the only family member with any distinct memory of Kryptonian culture. This comment meant alot coming from her and Lara knew it. The two Supergirls hugged each other tightly, as Lara realized something…

“Hey wait!” She said, looking at Kara. “If I’m gonna be Supergirl instead of Superboy, that means that you get to change your name instead of Conner.”

“Oh my god!” gasped Kara. “Yes! I’ve been looking for an excuse for ages. This is brilliant!” She then looked back at Lara. “Oh, Sorry” she said. “This is your moment, not mine.” They hugged again.

Lara giggled to herself. “Heh! At least now, Conner won’t go around calling himself “SuperBro” or something.”

“Oh, thank god for that!” said Clark, speaking for the first time in all of this, as if that happy thought had finally snapped his mind back to reality.

He looked around. Kara, Lois and Lara were all staring at him. The Man of Steel suddenly became very flustered. “I… I’m sorry. I just… Wow… I did not think this is where the talk I started listening to was going…”

Clark’s eyes suddenly focused on Lara, as if he had only just noticed she was there. “Lara?” he said, slowley. “You’re a… You’re a girl?”

Lara tensed up for a moment, wondering what would happen next. Then, her dad smiled. “I have a daughter!” He cried. “Lois, we’ve got a daughter!” He rushed over and swept Lara up in his arms, pulling her into the biggest hug Lara had received that evening. “I’m so proud of you, sweetie!” said Clark, with tears in his eyes.

Lara could hardly believe it. She had been hoping for acceptance, but she had never expected this. The immediate love and support everyone had shown was overwhelming. It was no use fighting the tears of joy as she hugged her dad so tightly, if he had been a normal human, Lara could’ve seriously injured him.

“Oh, honey!” said Clark, as he heard his daughter sob, “I’m so sorry for earlier. If I had known, I’d…I...” He trailed off, as he tried to find the words. “Oh, Lara.” he said, softley. “I love you, you know that?”

“I love you too, daddy” Lara sniffed. “And don’t worry. You couldn’t’ve known. I only realised myself recently.”

“Oh?” Clark asked, still holding his daughter in his arms, “Well why don’t we go back inside, we get you some cookies and a big slice of grandma’s apple pie and you tell us all about it, ok?”

Behind her dad’s back, Lara saw Lois carefully whispering something in Kara’s ear. The blond smiled and nodded, flying out the barn window she had been eavesdropping outside just moments ago.

“That sounds great, Dad” Lara grinned. “Where’s Kara going?” She had been so caught up in the moment with her dad, that she hadn’t heard what Lois had said.

“Oh I just asked her if she could quickly pick a few things up for me.” Lois tried to sound casual, but it was clear that she had something up her sleeve. “C’mon, sweetie. Let’s go get you some dessert!”


Soon enough, Lara was sat by her mother’s side on the couch in her grandparents' living room. An extra large slice of warm apple pie with whipped cream sat on a plate on the coffee table in front of them along with a freshly baked triple-chocolate chip cookie.

Her dad sat on the other end of the sofa and Conner was still offering his detailed talk to Grandma and Grandpa. Kara still hadn’t come back yet. The family wanted to wait for everyone before Lara began her story.

When she first came back into the house, Lara had apologized to her grandparents for breaking the chair and the floor in her outburst. Everyone had agreed it wasn’t her fault but she would help her grandpa fix the damage next weekend while Conner was there filling in his many craters around the farm.

As Lara happily munched her dessert, she listened to Conner’s lecture to Grandma and Grandpa. For someone who had, on two separate occasions, set fire to his own kitchen by microwaving soup in a can, Conner displayed remarkable knowledge and understanding of gender identity.

“So seeing how Lara is still a little kid, her transition is probably gonna just be a social one for now.” said Conner, as he displayed an Wiki page on his phone to Jonathon and Martha. “Though, she might want to try puberty blockers soon.”

Suddenly, Conner paused and looked a little worried. He turned to look at Lara. “Hey sis. Have you thought much about…?” He paused, trying to think of what to say. “Have you thought about how you wanna transition?”

Lara chewed her cookie slowly while she considered this. When she had woken up that morning, she had spent most of her time in her room on her computer. She had pretended to be doing homework, but really she had been doing research on exactly how she could start living as a girl.

She hadn’t been able to research much thanks to her parent’s parental block, but she had learned that there were drugs that doctors could give her that would help make her body more feminine, as well as lots of different treatments and therapies to help her with the process.

“I think... Maybe I should talk to a doctor?” suggested Lara. “Or maybe some of dad’s superhero friends might be able to help.” She looked at her dad. “Would it be okay if we asked them?”

“Of course we can!” said Clark. “But I think what Conner is trying to say is… You’ve got Kryptonian DNA. If you want to medically transition, we might need to look into different methods.”

Lara stopped chewing. She hadn’t thought of that. Most human medicines wouldn’t work on fully grown Kryptonians, which wasn’t normally a problem. If they got plenty of sunlight they never got sick. Even Lara who didn’t have all her powers yet still had perfect health, excluding trips to S.T.A.R. Labs every time her braces needed adjusting. “I guess Doctor October is the next person I need to come out to then.” Lara said after some thought.

As S.T.A.R. Labs chief metahuman medic, Dr. Victoria October had been serving as Lara’s pediatrician and orthodontist for years. She had previously worked for Amanda Waller, at A.R.G.U.S., before Batman had convinced her to switch to a more reputable organization. Lara could not have asked for a better doctor. They don’t get much better than ones personally recommended by Batman himself. Plus, they couldn’t exactly trust any normal doctor with the secret identities of the Super-family,

“That’s a great idea, sweetie!” said Clark. “The doc’s an expert with this sort of thing.” He suddenly looked nervous. “Um… Meta biology, that is!” he added, quickly.

Before Lara could question her dad’s concerned look, she heard the sound of the front door opening. “Hey, I’m back!” came Kara’s voice.

The blonde woman entered the room, carrying several large shopping bags. Lois walked over to help her unload the shopping.

“Kara? Lois?” said Clark. “What’s all this?”
Lois smiled. “Oh, I just needed Kara to pick up some things for me.”
“What do you mean?”
“You’ll see, cuz.”said Kara, grinning.

“Right!” said Lois. “Now that everyone’s here…” She smiled at her daughter. “Lara, sweetie. Do you want to tell us about these new developments? I can understand if you’d prefer not to…”

“No.” said Lara, quickly. “I’ve been wanting to talk to you guys about it all day. But first, what’s in the bags?”

Kara smiled. “Oh! Well, your mom and I thought, maybe while you tell us your story, we could give you a little…” She opened one of the shopping bags and pulled out a black rectangular box “...makeover?”

Lara gasped with excitement, before leaping across the room to hug her mother and cousin. “Thank you!” she squealed.

“It’s our pleasure, sweetie.” said Lois “Let’s sit you down so that we can decide what look we’re going for.”

Lara sat down on the sofa, her knees bouncing with excitement, as Kara produced a small vial of nail polish.
“I was thinking, a light purple would be a good start…” she smiled.


As Kara got to work the younger Supergirl’s nails, Lara began to tell the story of how she had realised she was a girl. She spoke about how she had felt uneasy but hadn’t been able to figure out why. She then mentioned how she had met Damian’s trans boyfriend, Colin, who had opened her eyes to the fact that she wasn’t a boy.

“Wait? Colin?” interrupted Lois, “Colin Wilkes?”

Lara blinked. Then she remembered what Colin had told her. “Oh yeah!” she smiled, “Colin told me that you wrote an article that helped to get him adopted!

“Aw, I’m glad he’s doing alright.” Lois smiled

“Wait a minute!” said Clark, suddenly. “Colin? The same Colin that I met on the bridge?”

“Oh…” said Lara, sheepishly. “Yeah, I forgot to say. Colin can turn into a giant Dragon-Bat and he flew me and Damian to Metropolis last night.”

Lois didn’t seem too surprised. “Makes sense” she laughed. “He’s the boyfriend of Robin and the son of two former villains. Plus he’s from Gotham! Kid’s gonna have something weird and wonderful about him.”

Lara smiled. “Mom? Could I see your article some day? The one you wrote about trans kids like Colin and me?”

“Oh, of course, honey.” said Lois “Maybe when we go see the doc, we can all talk about it. I did loads of research when I wrote that article. It’ll all be fascinating.”

Lara smiled and was about to continue the story when Kara spoke. “All done!” she said, proudly. “They look fabulous, girl!”

Lara looked down at her hands, now popping with a little color. She was glowing with happiness. “Wow! Thanks, Kara!” She began to get up from her seat to hug her cousin, but the elder Supergirl held up a hand to stop her.

“Woah there, princess! The polish is still wet! Just hold your hands flat with the fingers apart for a minute or too for them to dry. And while you wait, your mom and I can put a little makeup on you.”

“Oh! Right, thorry!” She blushed. Lara had forgotten the polish needed to set. There would be so much she would have to learn to be a girl full time. She tried to stay perfectly still, though she quivered with joy as she thought about how pretty she was going to be.

Clark, Conner and Jonathon had left the room in order to give the girls some privacy. Martha stayed in her armchair, watching Lara with a proud smile, as she was beautified by Lois and Kara.

Eventually, after applying some lip gloss, eyeliner and a light blush, Lois and Kara moved back to admire their work. Kara pulled a small mirror out of one of the bags and handed it to Lara.

Lara gasped at the face staring back at her in the mirror. That beautiful, beaming smile couldn’t be hers, could it? Those weren’t her adorable, rosy cheeks or her pretty blue eyes, were they?

“What d’ya think, Princess?” said Kara

She got her answer when Lara threw her arms around her and hugged her with a force that was exclusively reserved for Kryptonians. “Thank you!” squeaked Lara.

“Hey, I helped as well!” laughed Lois. “Don’t I get a hug from my own beautiful daughter?”

While mother and daughter hugged on the sofa, Kara picked up another shopping bag and held it up so that Lara could see inside. The young girl peered in, and a gleeful smile spread across her face.

Inside was a bright red pleated skirt, some black tights and a pair of red flats, along with a blue girl’s sweater and hair clip both bearing the “Super-Emblem” worn by members of the Super-family.

“It’s not a costume made by your grandma, but I still thought you might want to be Supergirl tonight.” Kara said, beaming with pride at the young girl’s joyous expression.

“And don’t you worry, baby.” Martha interjected, “I’ll get right on making you a proper Supergirl uniform… Actually that gives me an idea…”


Out on the front porch Clark, Conner and Jonathan waited to see the girl’s handiwork. The two Kryptonians and the old man sat up when they heard the squeak of the floorboards, knowing someone was coming.

Martha left the house first with a little twittering laugh while Kara and Lois held one of Kara’s spare capes up as a curtain to block the door. “Ladies and gentlemen!” Lois said dramatically, “Introducing, to all you good people, in her first public appearance! Supergirl!”

They pulled back the cape to reveal Lara dressed in her improvised outfit and smiling from ear to ear. Martha had added one last touch by fascening the cape from the Superboy costume to her sweater. Lara skipped down the steps and did a little twirl to show off her outfit; one of the few tricks she had picked up from her ballet lesson.

“Oh wow!” said Clark, beaming with pride at his daughter. “You look amazing, sweetheart. How does it feel?”

Lara could hardly contain her euphoria. The evening had started out so badly but had quickly turned into possibly the best night of her life. She finally understood who she was. Plus, she had a pretty new outfit and the love of an accepting and understanding family. She wasn’t just Lara Kent. She was Supergirl - The Girl of Steel!

“It feels…” said Lara, as she crouched down. “...AMAAAZIIIIING!!! She leapt up high, into the air.

She wasn’t worried about injuring herself on the way down. She had had plenty of practice with her super-jump to know how to stick the landing. Even if something did go wrong, she had her dad, Kara and Conner down below to catch her if she needed it. She closed her eyes as she reached the top of her arc, about 100 feet up, and enjoyed the peaceful night air while waiting for gravity to bring her back down. Except... Gravity seemed to be taking it’s time…

After another moment remaining still so high above the ground, she finally opened her eyes and looked down. She was still in the air, high above her family and the farm house, her new cape billowing behind her like a majestic set of wings. “I’m… I’m flying…” She said in practically a whisper, before shouting the news to the darkening sky, “Daddy! I’m flying!”

Lara’s family below were already clapping and cheering. Conner actually leapt up onto the barn roof to whoop and cheer as loud as possible for his sister. Within an instant, Kara had flown up beside her to give her a mid-air hug. “Way to go, Princess!”

This made Lara feel so fantastic that, once Kara let go, she spun around and performed a loop-de-loop in the air, giggling all the way.

“Whoa!” said Kara. “Loop-de-loops already? You’re a fast learner!”

Lara paused when she heard this. Her cousin had a point. Why was she suddenly a flying expert? Her previous attempts had never amounted to anything more than “falling with style” as Damian would say.
“I… I don’t get it.” said Lara. “My flying was never this good before. Why now, all of a thudden?”

“I think I might know.” said a warm voice from behind them.

Lara whipped around and saw her dad, dressed in his full Superman outfit. He was still beaming with pride and looked like he was on the verge of happy tears. “Oh sweetie! Your powers are connected to your feelings, and they are a part of you.”

Lara stared at her father, perplexed. “What do you mean?”

“When I first learned to fly, it was only after I understood who I really was, after I’d learned about my Kryptonian heritage.” Clark smiled. “I think it’s the same for you! Now that you’re able to be your true self, you’re finally able to fly!”

Lara could hardly believe it. This was it! The ultimate conformation of who she truly was. “I… I really am sth-” she paused, making sure she spoke clearly. “I’m Supergirl!” she cheered, as she sped off through the sky.

As Clark sped off after his daughter to give her first proper flying lesson, Kara watched them speed off into the night. She smiled. “If that’s not validation, I don’t know what is.” she said to herself.

High in the skies above Smallville, Supergirl danced in the air with her father. Clark proudly watched his daughter, as she twirled and soared through the air with beautiful grace. Lara stopped and blushed when she saw her dad watching.

“Aw, sweetie! Don’t stop!” said Clark “You’re doing great! Where did you learn to move like that?”

“Uummm...well.” said Lara. “I learned it from my ballet lesson with Damian and Colin.” She smiled sheepishly.

“Ballet?” said Clark. “Is that what Damian’s been teaching you all this time?”
“No,” laughed Lara. “It was just yesterday, we wanted to try something different, and he suggested ballet. I even wore a tutu!”
The Man of Steel chuckled with pride. “My little girl is a ballerina! I’m so proud!” Then he remembered, “Wait. Is that why Damian was wearing a dress last night?”
“Oh, yeah!” giggled Lara. “He’s so… “extra”. That’s what his sister said.”

“Is that so?” laughed Clark, then he paused. “Does Damian know about this? You being trans, I mean?”

Lara sighed. “No. Not yet. I wanted to tell him yesterday but there wasn’t time. I just hope that, when I do, he’ll be okay with it.”

“Oh sweetie!” said Clark as he pulled Lara into a hug. “I’m sure he will. Damian is your friend and one of the smartest kids I know. He’ll be almost as proud of you as I am.”

Lara smiled. She had experienced many hugs in that evening, but this was easily the most memorable. “I love you, Daddy.” she whispered.

“I love you too, sweetheart.” Clark replied. “Now, how about you show me more of your amazing dancing?”

And so, the Girl of Steel and her father danced together in the sky, long into the night.

23