6 – The Doctor is In
510 8 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lara slept well that night. Not only was her mind finally at peace, but she had flown for hours and “tuckered herself out” as Grandma had put it. She would have happily flown all the way home that night, no matter how tired she was feeling. In the end, they went home through the teleporter, which was good because Clark had to carry the poor girl the rest of the way back to the apartment, her energy leaving her quickly as her euphoria induced adrenaline wore off.

She woke the next morning feeling like a new woman, ready to take on the day! She sat up in bed, yawning and stretching before turning to look at her clock. It was 9:30 in the morning.

In the few seconds it took for the significance of the time to register in her brain, she realized her day had just gone from great to horrible.

She almost screamed out one of the bad words Damian’s brother Jason loved to say, but she contained herself and settled for just yelling, “I’M LATE FOR THCHOOL!!!”

In an absolute panic, the little Kryptonian began running around her bedroom, trying to find clothes to wear and get her homework together. Homework that she had never finished! Oh god, she was in so much trouble!

She then looked at her hands and remembered the nail polish. She would have to be careful not to chip it! Wait! What would the other kids say if she showed up with her nails painted?! She was happy to be out to her family but she wasn’t sure if she was prepared to be Lara at school just yet! If she had just remembered to set her alarm last night she wouldn’t have half of these problems to worry about!

It was only then that she heard someone calling her name and saw a very concerned looking Lois standing in the door, dressed in a shirt and skinny jeans rather than the suit she wore for work “Lara? Sweetie, calm down! It’s ok.”

“But mom, I overthlept! I’m tho late! I’m… Wait... Why aren’t you at work yet?”

Lois knelt down and hugged her little girl. “I’m sorry, sweetie! I should have said something earlier but I thought you needed the rest. I called your school this morning. You’ll be out sick this week.”

“I am?” She asked, putting a hand to her forehead to check her temperature.

Lois laughed, “Well… if the school asks, yes. You are very sick right now, and we are going to see Dr. October today so it’s not a total lie.”

“We are?” said Lara. Then she remembered what they had discussed the night before and she realised what Lois meant. “We’re gonna see the Doc?! Yes!” She hugged her mother tightly before heading into the bathroom.

After a quick shower, Lara got changed (she was tempted to wear her new skirt but decided it was best to take things slowly) and headed into the kitchen. She smiled when she saw that Lois had made her favourite breakfast; Blueberry pancakes with strawberries, whipped cream and chocolate chips. “Whoa! Thanks mom!” she hugged her mother before sitting down and digging in.

Clark had already left for work, but Lois said that he was going to meet them at S.T.A.R. labs. This meant that mother and daughter had the apartment to themselves for the morning. Lara wouldn’t have had it any other way.


After a breakfast that was very filling to both the stomach and the soul of the young girl, Lara and Lois spent the next few hours together as mother and daughter.

They watched some cartoons, browsed fashion catalogs and swapped stories. Lara told Lois all about her ballet lesson and even demonstrated some basic movements, while Lois talked about the work she had done while campaigning for trans rights. The two of them found themselves bonding in ways they never had before. It was wonderful.

After lunch, it was time for Lara’s appointment with Dr. October, and the two ladies headed off for S.T.A.R Labs.

Even though S.T.A.R. Labs had a building in Metropolis, Lois and Lara still decided to use the teleporter. It would raise a few eyebrows to see a reporter and her child going into an advanced research center so frequently.

Lois opened the door to the phone booth and entered the code for the S.T.A.R. Labs transporter. “Lois Lane- B01, Lara Kent- E01.” Lara stood a little straighter in surprise to hear her own name already in the system, but the teleporter turned on and they were off before she could say anything.

In a flash the pair of women were standing on a teleporter in the center of a laboratory. They stepped off the device just in case anyone else needed to use it and only then did Lara address her mother, “You already changed my name in the system?”

“Your father did, dear.” said Lois, as they made their way towards the doctor’s office. “He wanted to help you anyway he could. Although, he had to add you in as a new entry. We will change you back to C01 in no time though.”

In the teleporter’s ID system, “A”s were League members, “B”s were friends and family members, “C”s were sidekicks, “D”s were consultants, and “E” was normally for miscellaneous personnel.

While she would have preferred not to be put into the “miscellaneous” category, Lara was thrilled at the efforts her parents were making. She held her mom’s hand as they headed down the corridor towards a door marked “Dr. Victoria October - Head of Metahuman Bioscience.”

As they reached the door, Lois pressed the button on the intercom and the fancy, hi-tech screen switched on to show the Doctor sat at her desk.

Dr. Victoria October was a tall, pretty woman with black, well-kept hair save for a single forelock streak that was as white as snow. She reminded Lara of a Hollywood star from the 1940s, both in terms of her appearance and mannerisms. When she heard the intercom buzz, the doctor turned to the camera and smiled. “Ah, Lois! I’ve been expecting you. Come on in!”

The door opened and Lara followed her mom inside. The room wasn’t a typical doctors’ office. It featured several objects that would not look out of place in a mad scientist’s laboratory. These included a large booth made of reinforced titanium, built to contain and treat volatile metahumans, along with various scanning devices and computer terminals. There was even a teleporter pod, for emergencies.

October was sitting at her desk and she smiled at Lara as she entered. It was a warm smile, but there was a hint of eccentric glee in her eyes, as if Lara was some exciting new project for her. Lara would probably have been disturbed by this, had she not come to expect it from the doctor. This was relatively normal behaviour for her.

Just as Lara and Lois were sitting down in front of the desk, a notification popped up on the doctor’s computer screen and an electronic voice spoke, “Teleporter access requested: Superman - A01.”
“Confirm” said October.
“Access granted” the machine answered, and the teleporter whirred to life.

Lara smiled as her father appeared out of the machine. He had evidently come straight from superhero work as he was buttoning up his shirt, under which Lara could see his Superman outfit.

Lara knew that there were plenty of other heroes who could cover for her dad while he was here, but nevertheless, she was grateful that he had come to support her in a time like this.

“Welcome, Clark.” said Dr. October, formally. “Have a seat.”
Clark sat down beside his daughter so that she now had both of her parents sitting either side of her. It made her feel much more safe and secure.

Once everyone was seated, October began the meeting. “I do hope nothing is wrong. Lois seemed very determined to arrange this appointment as quickly as possible.” She looked through the papers on her desk. “Jon isn’t scheduled for another appointment for two more months, so I have to wonder, what on Earth could be so important?”

Hearing her deadname caught Lara off guard and she shifted uncomfortably in her chair. Lois and Clark exchanged a concerned look. October noticed the sudden change in mood. “Is everything alright?” she asked. “You all look nervous.”

Lara felt her mother’s hand on her shoulder. “Sweetie? Do you want me to tell her?”
Lara shook her head. “No, mom. I can do it.” Lois smiled and nodded.
“We’re here for you, sweetie” said Clark.
“Whatever it is, I’ll be glad to help.” said Dr. October.

Lara took a deep breath and looked at the doctor. “Hey Doc!” she smiled, nervously. “Uuhhh… I’m trans. I’m… a girl”

In all the years Lara had known the good doctor, she had never seen her be rendered speechless. October’s eyes shifted around, quizzically, as she examined the expressions of Lara and her parents. Or perhaps she was going over invisible equations in her head, to try and make sense of the situation.

After an awkward silence that lasted just long enough for Lara to start worrying that she had accidently broken Dr. October’s brain, the doctor’s face broke out into a smile.

“That’s amazing!” She smiled with pride at Lara, who blinked back in surprise. “Would you like me to use a different name?”
“Wha-? Uuhh… Lara...” said Lara, without thinking.
October smiled. “That’s a lovely name! I’m so happy for you, Lara!”

She then turned to look at Lara’s father. “Well, Clark!” she laughed. “Now I see why you and Lois were so desperate to speak to me.”

Clark suddenly became very flustered. “What?!... Oh no! It’s not like...I mean! I wouldn’t want to… “

The doctor held up her hand. “Clark! It’s ok. You did the right thing.”

Lara could barely follow what was happening. On the one hand, she was overjoyed at how accepting Dr. October was. On the other, she had no clue what was going on between the doctor and her dad. What were they talking about?

October stood up, walked the desk and knelt down next to Lara’s chair so that they were face-to-face. Lara looked into the doctor’s eyes and saw a warmth that she had never seen before, at least not from the doctor.

“I’m really proud of you, Lara.” she said, smiling. “Coming out takes a lot of courage, especially to someone who’s not a friend or family member. I feel it’s only fair if I let you in on a little secret of my own.” She paused, apparently for dramatic effect. “I’m also trans.”

This time it was Lara’s turn for her brain to nearly break. “You… you’re… you mean?” In the couple of seconds it took for her brain to reboot, October was just smiling and waiting. Finally Lara managed to say, “You’re like me?”

“That’s right.” She said simply with a chuckle, “I’m very proud of how I turned out too. After so many years, not many people would know unless I were to tell them.”

Lara looked at the woman in a quiet awe, “Will I ever get to be as pretty as you, Doc?” She blushed and covered her mouth, a little embarrassed by such a blunt question. However, October didn’t seem to mind it.

“Lara, you already are a pretty girl. You always have been. You didn’t know it at first, but now you do! Your parents know it too, and I will help you make sure the world knows it!” She paused, clearing her throat, realizing she had let her sense for the dramatic get ahead of herself. “Please, call me Victoria.”

Victoria turned to Lois and Clark. “I’m assuming this is why you wanted to talk to me today? Beginning her transition?”

Clark answered the question, while Lara blushed after being called a pretty girl. “That’s right Victoria. We thought we would need to come to you to talk about starting puberty blockers since we didn’t think the normal variety would work on Kryptonians.”

Victoria’s face lit up and her eyes shone at the idea of a new challenge. “Oh, this will be fascinating!” She began to pace around the office, thinking out loud to herself. “There have been many advances in the fields of HRT and SRS over the past few years, chiefly due to the scientific advancements of the metahuman era...” She paused when she realised that she was rambling.

“Forgive me,” she said. “It’s not my place to rush or encourage you. This is just a fascinating prospect for me.” She sat back down at her desk and began typing on her computer. “Let’s go over some details first.”

For the next twenty minutes or so, Lara listened to Victoria and her parents discuss various details of her transition. However, these details weren't as exciting as Lara had hoped. They mainly discussed the psychological and legal obstacles, along with complicated scientific mumbo-jumbo about developing blockers that would work on Kryptonians.

It was at this point that Lara realised that her transition was going to take longer than she had hoped. She hadn’t really thought much about it, with how quickly it had gone so far, but it was now dawning on her that this was a process that would take years.

She felt a peculiar mix of emotions. She felt a little bit sad and impatient at the amount of time and effort required to transition. But she also felt pride for her progress so far, excitement for what came next and joy at the idea of all her friends and family accepting and supporting her.

“...however, there may be a loophole.” said the doctor, making Lara snap out of her daydream and back into the discussion. “What? Really?” she said, hopefully.

“Yes,” Victoria nodded. “While Lara would probably face the usual obstacles of transitioning socially, Supergirl might not...”

“What do you mean?” said all three Kent’s in unison.

“Well, Superheroes are generally exempt from many societal norms, in the eyes of the public,” explained the doctor. “This would mean I could help you transition a lot smoother and, possibly quicker, if I were Supergirl’s doctor instead of Lara’s.”

Lara was liking this plan already.

“It would also mean you’d have easier access to metahuman resources to help you in your transition,” continued Victoria. “Bio-mechanics, alien technology and, maybe even, mystical forces could potentially be used.”

“Great! When can I start?!” said Lara, her knees bouncing with excitement.

“Calm down, sweetie!” said Lois. “There’s still some things we need to go over first.”

“Indeed.” said the Doctor. “Usually, before beginning a transition like this, I’d require some form of psychiatric evaluation to officially confirm that you were trans. Luckily, that may be another thing we can get with the help of the superhero community.”

“Did you have anyone in particular in mind?” asked Clark.

“That depends on who Lara is already out to, or if she is willing to tell anyone else soon.” Victoria turned to Lara. “Do you mind telling me who you’ve come out to so far?”

Lara thought back to the past few days. “Well, there’s you, mom and dad. Then there’s my brother, Conner, my cousin, Kara, my Grandparents.” Then she remembered the boy who had helped her realise it in the first place. “Oh, and Colin! He’s my friend from Gotham. He’s the one who helped me figure out that I’m a girl.”

Victoria raised an eyebrow. “Colin? He wouldn’t happen to be a friend of Robin’s, would he?”

“Yeah, Colin Wilkes! He’s Damian’s boyfriend.” said Lara, smiling. “Do you know him?”

“He’s another patient of mine.” Victoria explained. “It wouldn’t be professional to go into further detail, but it’s good to know he’s helping you.”

This made sense the more Lara thought about it. Colin would need a doctor that him and his moms could trust in order to help him with his transition. Batman had probably referred them to Dr. October, like he had with Lara.

“What we really need is sufficient evidence to show the other scientists in the labs.” Victoria continued. “I believe if we got them onboard, we could be able to synthesize functional blockers within a year. We may even be able to begin research into hormone therapy for when Lara is older.”

Suddenly, Lara had a brilliant idea. “Wait a minute! What about Diana?”

“Diana?” Victoria repeated, “You mean Wonder Woman? How would she help?”

“Her latho!” She paused trying to get the word right, “latho… latho! Gah! Her magic rope of truth! Let me hold it and ask all the questions you need to get me started!”

Victoria paused in thought “Hmm… in any other field of science, I’d be laughed out of the room for suggesting to use a rope gifted by the Greek gods to speed up the psychiatric evaluation. But in metahuman science, my colleagues would see that as more than enough. Of course it would mean coming out to Miss Prince next so we could ask her to help us.”

Lara grinned with excitement. Diana Prince AKA Princess Diana of Themyscira AKA Wonder Woman was one of Lara’s favourite superheroes and a close friend of the Super family. She was also an inspiration to girls everywhere, fighting for womens’ rights and encouraging everyone she met to be the best versions of themselves.

“I can’t wait to tell her.” said Lara, before turning to her father. “Mom! Dad! When can I tell her?”

Lois and Clark smiled. They were so proud of how far their little girl had come in such a short amount of time. She was becoming braver and more confident every moment. Even when faced with the prospect of coming out to a completely different person, she persisted with a smile on her face.

“Well, sweetie,” said Clark. “I do have a meeting with Diana and Bruce at the Watchtower, tonight. You’re more than welcome to join me.” He paused “Although, that would probably mean having to come out to Bruce as well. Also, Kara said she was coming, so Donna’s probably joining her. Not to mention that Bruce might bring Damian…”

“Okay!” thought Lara “Looks like we might have an audience” She bit her lip and gave a long pause.

“Honey,” said Lois, reassuringly. “We could always arrange another time?”.

“No!” said Lara. “I… I think I can do this. I mean… Of course, I can do this! I’m Supergirl!” It still felt so amazing to say that.

Victoria smiled. “I’m really happy for you, Lara, and don’t worry about telling Batman. Despite the tough exterior, he’s incredibly accepting and supportive. In fact, he was one of the first people I came out to when I first began my transition.”

Lara gave a little sigh of relief. While she had done her best not to show it, the idea of coming out to Batman had intimidated her a little. Bruce Wayne was often a little hard to read. The Wayne family were great to hang out with and Bruce was no exception. He always threw the best parties and had a soft spot for kids like her. But he was still Batman! He had a reputation for being absolutely terrifying to anyone who got one his bad side. It made Lara feel a lot better to know that her Uncle Bruce was supportive of trans people.

“Was there anything else you wanted to discuss?” asked Victoria, looking at her watch.

Lara considered for a moment. The big task she had needed to discuss with Dr. October was done now. She was out to her doctor and knew what she had to do next. There’d be no point asking about things like side effects or how long the transition would take. Being the first ever trans Kryptonian (she assumed), she knew her medications would probably be new and experimental; no way to know what would happen. “I think I’m ok for now. Thanks, Dr… Thank you, Victoria,” she amended quickly, “You’ve helped me so much!”

“It was nothing.” smiled Victoria, as she walked with the Kents to the door. “I’m just doing my job. Good luck with everything, and if you need anything, I’m always just a phone call away.”

Lara beamed up at the kind woman and before she knew it, the young girl was hugging the doctor tightly around the waist.

Victoria seemed surprised by this display of affection, but she happily put a hand on Lara’s shoulder and knelt down to her level. “You are a brilliant young woman, you know that?” She smiled, only this time there was no eccentric gleam in her eyes. It was a smile of 100% pure warmth. “You are intelligent, strong, kind and pretty. You go, girl!”

Lara gave her one quick last hug goodbye, before turning to leave with her parents. As she headed down the hallway, holding both of her parents hands, she felt like she was ready to take on the world.

27