Ch 117. The Noble’s District
3.1k 3 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The separation between the two districts was actually more substantial than I had first thought. It wasn't like how the residential and commercial districts were, with the two subtly blending and intermixing without any clear boundary.
 
First it was a guarded gate with a checkpoint that was not unlike the one we passed through when entering the city. But this time those who were going through were exclusively the wealthy nobles or clergymen, either looking like they had just spent some time on the town or were coming to do the same.
 
Our large group and the travel-worn appearance of our men roused the guards suspicion somewhat, but Bael did the talking and managed to get us through with little hassle, the guards parting way to allow us passed the heavy fortifications. On the other side was a broad road stretching out over a chasm between the two sides of the city, a bridge built like it was on stilts that spanned the entirety of the ocean of churning blue below us. This was the Daugova, a mountain-fed beast off a river that came all the way from the Daggerpeaks, in the heart of the snowy and harsh northern kingdoms. 
 
Peering out of the window of our carriage to watch the boats and dock workers go about busily, each of them looking no bigger than ants from this height. It was such a massive river that it was almost like the city had a sea port. In truth this river did go out to the sea, but that was an area inhabited by monsters and beastkin instead of civilization. There were plenty of cities passed here of course, as this wasn't the farthest western edge of Stromgar yet, but for most traders this was the last stop. No sane merchant would sail openly through the Antalushian beastlands and expect to live.
 
As this was usually the furthest down-stream shipping point, every boat that made it here needed to travel back upstream on their return voyage. And while that wasn't impossible given that the actual current was quite slow, it was still an endeavor that could only be done through the effort of slaves, and maybe some dwarven mana-sails if you were wealthy enough to afford it. Dwarven technology was considered the best, or certainly better than what we could make in human society, but the dwarves were always regarded as insular people, and they rarely traded with any humans outside of the Daggerpeaks. It wasn't likely, but I did have some hopes of seeing dwarves here, given that we were in the Stromgar capital there might be a few hundred of them here at any given time, but in a city of millions that might as well be like searching a needle from a stack of hay.
 
Shifting in my lap, Belle pressed her face and bust against the window that I was looking out of, blocking some of the view and seeming somewhat oblivious to the crowded cabin-space as she swung her tail excitedly, the furry tip tickling and slapping against Marcella's head, who did her best to ignore it. Knowing she was already on thin ice with Tammy she didn't dare complain. Secretly I was just as excited, being the same as Belle and never having seen an actual river before, let alone one this grand. Looking out over the waters in awe.
The other side of the crossing was hardly guarded at all, just a few men who nodded lazily at our passing. Abundantly clear that this wasn't the side they were worried about guarding.
 
The first change I noticed from the commoner oriented districts was the lack of people, or rather there was almost nobody else out an about compared to the busy streets we had just departed from. Given that only nobles or the church faithful were allowed this side of the river it wasn't too unexpected, but it was still quite a sight to see such a sparsely populated area in a metropolitan area like this. Looking out at the buildings that the lack of traffic gave us a perfect view of, only ever seeing a few carriages like our own, and hardly anyone walking.
 
What did surprise me was that despite the fewer people, there were not actually fewer shops. Each one of them seeming relatively empty, but I supposed that given the target customer base here probably even one sale a day would be enough to turn a profit. Raising a brow at the sight of several alchemist shops, all of which seemed to be owned by the same family, a lily crest emblemed on the door. There were already more alchemy oriented goods in this small cluster here than I had seen in all of the other district, but Cal just snorted.
 
"Nothing but old-foggies here who are obsessed with extending their own lives." Cal commented over the abundance of competition. Even so, we had a product that should sell pretty well. From a longevity perspective, my blood was probably one of the most effective reagents they could get their hands on... the hope was that they just wanted it badly enough to cough up their gold for it. Both of our eyes catching the sight of an auction venue, to our eyes it just looked like money.
 
Passing into what seemed to be a more rural and remote area, without nearly as many stores or people about, it didn't take long before we came to the front of a gated estate, the iron fence inscribed with a religious script that emanated some form of magical protection, just faintly visible to the eye like the air had changed color. Passing through which gave us all a strange and sudden sense of comfort and warmth.
 
Traveling further along the secluded and gated interior, it was like we had entered some kind of wonderland of exotic trees, bushes, and wildlife, going deeper into the garden estate before we came upon something that was a mix between a monastery and a palatial villa. The size of which was at least twenty times that of the Marcet mansion. The sheer number of servants required to maintain such a place must be truly astronomical.
 
"This is where we're staying tonight?" Marcella asked, eyes sparkling at the mansion that exceeded her father's. 
 
All of us departing out of the cramped quarters to take in the fresh air and smell the spring roses which seemed to be lining the exterior of the residence.
 
"How wonderful!" Tammy exclaimed, running out excitedly. Twirling around before stopping to inspect the intricate and elaborate garden-works. "This is the most extravagant thing I've ever seen!" she said excitedly. Marveling over the masterfully tended flora and the lavish state of our new dwellings. This was exactly the type of life she had dreamed about, and even more. It certainly built living in the converted farmhouse we had grown used to, or the poverty of Tromwell that she had been raised in. Only stopping her frolicking when she realized we were being watched, running back over to hide behind my back with an embarrassed look on her face.
 
A brown-haired woman wearing an immaculate white dress and diamond tiara bearing a lion stood outside the villa entrance flanked by two young maids with transluscent veils on. Not entirely hiding their faces, but obscuring it somewhat. To the side, stood a suave looking young man with short blonde hair, richly dressed in fine purple and golden silks that draped loosely from him in a grandiose manner while bangles of gold clasped around his wrists and neck. A circlet leaf of gold delicately interwoven with a lion-headed emblem adorned his golden head as the man waited patiently with a gentle smile on his face, watching us as if he had all the time in the world.
42