Chapter 10 – A Kingdom on Fire
226 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chp 10 - A Kingdom on Fire

Earth/Europe/Bertotia Kingdom/07_09_2020:

(Andresia): So you’re sure about this, right? Like, you’re absolutely confident? As in, there’s 0 doubt in your mi~

(Ivan): Yes yes, I know it doesn’t always look like it, but I actually have some pretty decent ideas... occasionally.

Glaring at him reproachfully, Andresia grabs the rusted, brass door handle. Tearing her view from her partner, she gazes at the rundown pub once again before twisting the handle, entering. The harsh twinge of stale beer assaults her noise, causing her to reel. After a moment or two of hazy delirium, the princess’ eyes refocus, capturing the tavern in all its majesty (lack thereof). Passing her, Ivan weaves his way through the alcohol-soaked tables and black-out drunks, working towards a door crammed into the back corner, behind the bar. Nodding to the barman, he pushes through it, into a spacious, open room. The room contains little but a table and 3 chairs at its centre. Looking from the gleaming white walls and bright, LED fittings in the ceiling to the table, Andresia notices that one of the 3 chairs is occupied. The rotund, stout man facing them nods his head in greeting. His sweaty, pale skin glistens in the ambient heat, radiating from the pub they’ve just come from. Removing his cap reveals a black buzz cut, the kind that's been popular in Eastern Europe, or what’s left of it1Asia, including most of Russia and several soviet states, were officially lost to the Spiderlings ~500 years ago, for the past ~20 years.

(Ivan): Leonid.

(Leonid, looking at where Ivan’s collar used to be): Ivan, my friend! I see you have changed quite considerably since our last meeting! Hahaha

Seating themselves, Ivan and Andresia exchange glances before turning towards their host.

(POV Ivan): Yes, and I see you’ve only gotten larger, you pig.

(Ivan): Let’s just get down to business, Leonid. You know who the little lady to my left is, correct?

His cold eyes sharpening, a smile begins to etch itself into the flab of Leonid’s face.

(Leonid): Still cunning as ever, I see… I’m happy to see that part of you hasn’t changed, at least…

(Ivan): Good good, then I’ll get straight to it. How do we get to Orchen, then?

Eyes narrowing even further, the information broker seems to want to say something. Opening and closing his mouth a few times, he seems to come to a decision.

(Leonid): Why would you tell me of all people where you’re going?

Ivan shrugs, clearly indifferent in opinion as to whether the other man knows.

(Ivan): I’m no longer with Briggins, I don’t exactly have the funds to afford your services under normal circumstances… However, you’re an information broker and I’ve recently come to possess a lot of valuable information. I’m honestly surprised you aren’t more concerned with our choice.

(Leonid): No, it makes sense… Any sane person in this situation would travel to Heingorfen, as anyone affiliated with Rendor (read: princess Andresia) will likely be met with open arms… However, it’s exactly because that is true that you aren’t going, correct?

(Ivan): Yeah, that’s definitely part of it, I'm sure they already have some form of "friendly greeting" waiting for us, should we head that way. We’ve also got business in Orchen, not that you’re hearing the details.

(Leonid): Not even if I throw in a van and supplies to last you the next few weeks?

Sighing and looking up at the ceiling for a few seconds, Ivan deliberates, eventually reaching some sort of conclusion.

(Ivan): I’ll consider it once I’ve heard about the route to Orchen.

After several minutes of back and forth negotiations (mind-games), several routes to Orchen are proposed. Taking into consideration travel times as well as safety, the duo decide to head West by land (using the van + supplies offered by Leonid) to the port-city of Fiingardten, where they will cross “The Gap”2a large river splitting Western Europe off from the rest of the continent into Orchen. It will take roughly 12 hours to drive from the Capital to Fiingardten, so they will stop in some small “Tavern Towns” along the way to stretch their legs and relieve themselves, before resuming their journey. Finalising the plans and packing a map, Ivan stands up to leave before suddenly remembering that he promised to tell the pig about their business in Orchen. Turning back around to face Leonid, a fearless grin plastered to his mug, he speaks.

(Ivan): Ahh, of course, our plans! Well, it's nothing too grand...

Leaning over the table and into the pig’s face, his grin widens.

(Ivan): We’re just going to start a war.

Earth/Europe/Bertotia Kingdom/The Capital/Home Office Department/08_09_2020:

(Minister Barrow): H-humpreys! Are these reports correct?!

Screeching at the top of his lungs, the Minister clutches at what little hair he has left. Eyes threatening to burst from their sockets, he stares at the pages in front of him.

(Attendant Humphreys): I believe so, sir. I do not believe that Lieutenant Couture would make a false report sir. I’ve also been told that the information we received from the information broker has mostly been confirmed.

(Minister Barrow): I-I see. So, a Bisset has managed to survive past its 20th birthday, then? If that truly is the case, then a war is possible. The entire country, no, entire continent will be turned on its head by this man… Ivan, was it?

A wry smile works its way onto the Minister’s face.

(Minister Barrow): Well then, I guess it’s in our best interests to deal with this quickly… Humphreys, how long will it take the 2nd Squad to get ready to follow them?

(Attendant Humphreys): The matter’s already handled, sir.

Smile contorting to furrowed brow, the Minister begins to ponder…

(POV Barrow): Ivan Bisset… He is now probably the most dangerous man in Europe…

Earth/Europe/Bertotia Kingdom/The Capital/The Royal Palace/09_09_2020:

(2nd Prince of Bertotia, Alfred): Cambell, I’ve recently heard some potentially dangerous information… Care to explain why you didn’t bring it to my attention any earlier?!

(Head of the Bertotia Elite Combat Squad3they work directly under the royal family, often acting as assassins or a small army, Cambell): I simply thought it was not worth your time, your Majesty.

Holding back his urge to kill, the head of BECS replies in mock civility. Choosing his words carefully, he follows up this statement.

(Head of BECS, Campbell): You see, we are already prepared to depart, in fact, we are set to leave tomorr~

(Alfred Bertotia): Make it today! Next time you decide what is and isn’t worth my time or attention, it will be your last, Campbell.

(Campbell, practically snarling at the guy): Of course, sir. Your wish is my command. The Bertotia Elite Combat Squad shall depart immediately.

Promptly leaving, Campbell laments the fact that his information network was unable to find out about the failure of the Masked Weavers Platoon sooner. It won’t be long, however, until he can achieve his dream. Exterminating the Bertotian Royal family, that’s the goal he continues to breathe for. One day, soon, the royal family will fall. But before that... A princess and a slave.

0