Chapter 13 – Tinder to Ignite a Country
212 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chp 13 - Tinder to Ignite a Country

Earth/Europe/Bertotia Kingdom/Tavern Town just West of The Capital/07_09_2020:

Eyes frantically darting from place to place, Andresia scrambles to capture the scene before her, a bustling marketplace sprawling out to her front. Ivan, clearly struggling to contain his excitement chides his partner:

(Ivan): Ohhhhhhh? I can’t believe you’re getting so worked up over a Town like this

Pointing to his front, Ivan notices a street performer, using Weaving to conjure a wheel of flames, holding it in their hands and spinning it. Unable to bottle-up his enjoyment, his face betrays him, breaking into an astonished smile.

(POV Ivan): Holy crap, that’s awesome.

(Andresia, rightfully smug): Ohhhhhh? I can’t believe you’re getting so worked up over Weaving like this. Anyway, shouldn’t we be focusing on getting somewhere to stay for tonight?

Snapping out of his trance and nodding, Ivan thinks back on the events that transpired after their arrival:

Tavern Town/~2 hours earlier:-

{

(Andresia): So then, where do we go from here?

Turning to the 2 stunned guards, Ivan’s gaze hardens, becoming serious.

(Ivan): Going off what you’ve told us, the bandits are likely to attack some time in the near future, so ordinarily, getting out of here ASAP would be what we would want to do… However, we need some information first. Is there anyone here that knows the current state of affairs in Fiingardten?

The first of the guards to break the silence, Jericho addresses the pair, face still hinting at her shock.

(Jericho): A-as far as I’m aware, there is a such a person in this town, however, you’ll have a hard time talking to her, especially on a day like today…

Cocking an eyebrow, Ivan glances at Andresia, as if to ask if they should leave without gathering any information. The princess responds by shaking her head back and forth.

(POV Ivan): Yeah, that makes sense… Once we get to Fiingardten, even assuming no one is there waiting for us, we’re likely going to have to book and wait for a ferry, meaning we could be there for any number of days… Getting there quickly will certainly help, but we should at least know a little about where exactly we are going. Right then, it’s settled, we’re staying the night here, then leaving first thing tomorrow morning.

(Andresia): So, who is this person you were talking about, anyway? She seems super important from what you were saying.

(Thalmus): W-well, while it’s true that she’s likely the only one that can get you your information, it doesn’t mean you will get it… Because she’s…

Looking down from the pair’s gaze to the oak wood floor of the guard station they are currently located in, Thalmus stumbles over his words. Noticing his hesitance, Jericho sighs.

(Jericho): She’s the Head of the Garrison at the Wall, Bodil… During the day she is up at the head command post, personally overseeing the defence of this Town… In the evening, she switches places with the Vice-captain. It’s at that point that you’ll want to speak to her… However, she’s not someone you’ll ever get to talk to…

Now it was Jericho’s turn to hesitate and look at the floor. After a few moments of silence (accompanied by a harsh glare from Ivan),    the guards speak up.

(Both guards): She’s a monster.

}

(Andresia): What do you think they meant by ‘monster’, anyway?

(Ivan): Bodil Boson, from what I’ve gathered so far, she’s just incredibly fierce. She’s been Head of the GATW for the past 10 years… It’s a brutal position to hold… Anybody has the right to challenge her at any time for her position. I’ve heard she’s never refused a challenge, even when people have challenged her at night, after a full day of managing the wall defences and fighting off bandits. She truly is a ‘monster’.

(Andresia): But… Why does that mean we won’t be able to talk to her?

(Ivan): Well… People outside of the Garrison have tried talking to her before but have just been decimated before any words could even leave their mouths. Apparently, she doesn’t take any chances, assuming that anyone approaching her must be vying for her title.

(Andresia): A-ah… So, aren’t we just leaving then? Why are we going towards the Mayor’s house?

(Ivan): You knew?

(Andresia): Yeah, while you were investigating Bodil, I was checking out the bandits’ disappearance. From what I’ve heard, 2 people have been acting rather suspiciously for the past few days. The first of these 2 is the Mayor, he hasn’t been seen leaving his house in over 4 days now… The second is the Vice-captain of the GATW, people say he’s the only one that’s been inside since this began…

(Ivan): Hmmm, I think I’m starting to get an idea of what’s going on now… In that case, we won't go to the Mayor's house. But we'll definitely have to talk to Bodil…

(Andresia): Look, it’s not that I doubt you or anything, but do you have at least some idea how we’re going to do that?

(Ivan): Isn’t it obvious?

Stopping in his tracks and sprouting his signature shit-eating grin, Ivan beams at his partner.

(Ivan): We’re going to challenge her!

The Tavern Town/The Mayor’s residence/~same time:

(Vice-captain of GATW, Igor): Once again, I’m awfully sorry to have to do this to you, Mr. Mayor, it’s simply a matter of business, that’s all.

A thin, twisted grin plastered to his face, Igor runs his fingers through what’s left of the Mayor’s balding tufts of hair. Struggling against his restraints, the Mayor’s muffled screams serve only to deepen Igor’s expression.

(Igor): Worry not, my little friend, you won’t be tied up much longer. Once night falls, you’ll be set free… From your restraints and this mortal plane, that is… Mwhahahaha!

Perfectly executing a maniacal laugh, Igor swivels around, turning to face the only other person in the building, a large, hulk of a man. His long, black hair tumbles to his shoulders in a mess of curls and knots. His bulky muscles twitch occasionally, indicating that they itch for the blood of another. Squaring up to the veritable mountain, Igor addresses him, condescendingly.

(Igor, sarcastically): Oh, aren’t you just terrifying. Still, not even you hold a candle to your father, the magnificent Eva~

A fist whistles through the air, slicing it like butter. Igor’s face drops, paling.

(The man, the myth, the mountain:- Wayne “The Jock” Rhonson): Don’t. In. Sult. Wayne’s. Fa. Ther!

Between heavy breaths, Wayne channels all the force of a hurricane into his words. Still shivering, Igor gulps.

(Igor, having practically wet himself): Y-yes, of-of course! I wouldn’t dream of doing something so rude!

Turning around and exiting the building, sweat pouring from his brow, Igor thinks to himself.

(POV Igor): Bandits, Tavern Towns, screw the lot of them! By tomorrow morning, I will be done with all this crap!

Bringing his breathing under control, Igor begins to move. He still has work to do.

0