Chapter 22 – We’re Not Thieves, We’re Just Redecorating
96 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chp 22 - We're Not Thieves, We're Just Redecorating

Earth/Europe/Bertotia Kingdom/Tavern Town just West of The Capital/07_09_2020:

Finally returning to his senses, Igor glances around at the 2 Bandits behind him. Pretending not to notice, the pair begin to admire the intricacy of the architecture of the room, whistling to themselves as if nothing is wrong. Taking their hint, Igor fakes a cough to clear his throat.

(Igor): O-okay then. Yes, you’re right, we shall proce~

(Gabriel, the assassin guy from before): Eh? What are you guys doing here? Shouldn’t you have left already?

Looking to Igor, Gabriel’s eyes form a disappointed expression, one visible even behind his mask.

(POV Gabriel): So, this is my employer’s employer then? Seriously man, that Evandrus dude is terrifying, why is this guy higher up than him???

Spotting the assassin’s disappointed gaze, Igor flies into an uncontrollable fit. Shouting and screaming, he throws something akin to a toddler’s tantrum. Once the man finally calms down, Gabriel ponders…

(POV Gabriel): Yeah, those 2 seem pretty capable, but with him leading them, something’s just bound to go wrong… Okay then, I’ll go with them, even if it means putting up with that guy…

(Gabriel): Well then, guess I’m tagging along. Sorry for the late introductions, I’m Gabriel, an assassin hired to uhhh… “relinquish the Town's guards of their duties”… Yeah, let’s put it like that.

While Morrison forms a wry smile, glee openly pours out of Rana. Glancing around at the other 3 people present, he thinks:

(POV Rana): Although he does seem to have somewhat of an attitude problem, I can tell he’s far better behaved than Morrison… Not only that, but he’s strong! He may have little in the way of Web Control, but his physical prowess seems to be no joke…

Before Igor can even open his mouth to object, Rana swoops in, taking control of the situation.

(Rana): Glad to have you aboard, Gabriel! Though I haven’t personally heard of you, you must be excellent at what you do if the Chief hired you personally. Happy to have yo~

(Morrison): Yeah, yeah, who cares!

Never having been one for small-talk, Morrison is fed up with the lack of action in the current situation. Smile working its way onto her face, she continues:

(Morrison): Let’s go steal some shit.

The Nest/~The same time:

One of the responsibilities accompanying Bodil’s role as team leader in this situation is navigation. Having visited the Mayor’s vault in the past to retrieve large quantities of funding for certain projects, Bodil is rather comfortable with the layout of The Nest. Worming their way through corridors and hallways, passing through arches and doorways, the group finally comes out to a large, open room. The room is a beautiful blend of whites and golds, and though it is empty, it radiates an aura of majesty. Just behind the group is the large, open, doorway they just passed through. To their front is a single vault door, huge in size. On each of the 2 walls adjacent to this are 2 more steel doors, just bigger than the doorway behind the group. There is 1 more door in the room, this one is just next to the vault door, and is larger than the previous 4 steel doors mentioned. Each of these 5 steel doors houses a Golem. 4 of the Golems are equal in size, the 5th one being greater in size than these. The vault’s security system works as such:

1) Assuming the person wishing to access the vault is in possession of the key: They walk up to the vault door and enter the key, opening the door correctly. That person may then choose to deposit or withdraw money or valuable items. Anything that happens in the room, while the key is in the vault door, will not incite the Golems' rage.

2) Assuming the person wishing to access the vault is not in possession of the key: They walk up to the vault door, touching it in order to break it down. The moment the vault door is touched, by anything other than the key, is the moment the Golems will destroy anything that wasn’t in the room when the system was set up. This includes robots and any other inorganic things. Once this has happened, the Golems will remain on stand-by mode. Entering the key during this time will not stop the Golems from destroying everything, and anything that enters the room after the vault door has been tampered with will be determined a threat and eliminated. The only way to revert the system to its original state is by turning the Golems off (can only be done in a secure facility off-site) or by destroying them.

Recognising there is no way to shut off the system once it has started, Ivan decides that waiting for Igor to arrive is the best option. They will then steal the key from him, negating the need to fight the Golems in the first place. However, if they try to steal the key before the vault door is unlocked, there’s a chance the conflict that ensues could cause something or someone to hit the vault door, activating the Golems and making the situation 10-20 times more difficult. Realising they wish to avoid this scenario as much as possible, Ivan begins to prepare.

(Ivan): Andresia, you go and heat the metal doors housing the Golems, effectively welding them shut. This will buy us a good half minute to prepare if the Golems are released, for whatever reason. Elias, do you have any way to cut a chunk out of the marble wall?

While Andresia wanders off to go complete her task, Elias looks at Ivan, suspiciously. Eyes narrowing, he briefly attempts to understand Ivan’s train of thought, before quickly giving up to answer his question.

(Elias): Yeah, I can use a combination of surgery and alchemy to cut a slab of marble out from the wall... But why woul~

(Ivan): Great, Bodil, once Elias has cut a chunk out of the marble, I’ll need you to use your spatial Weaving to suck up a large section of marble into your pocket dimension, hollowing out an area behind the wall. Is that possible?

(Bodil): It’ll be a pain in the ass, but it is definitely possible, yes. But why do all this stuff??

Pausing to look back at her, Ivan breaks into a devilish smile, one he’s quickly becoming notorious for.

(Ivan): You know, I think this place could do with another room or 2, don't you?

0