Chapter 45: The Sidekick and Valentine’s Day (Part 2)
2.5k 17 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The members of the club filled out one by one the moment I entered the culinary arts room. Like soldiers, they saluted Rika on the way out and wished her good luck. Good luck with what, I wasn’t certain, although I assumed it had to do with keeping the room in one piece. Left alone to her own devices, she was going to need all the luck she could get.

While I was also interested in how Rika managed to train such an impressive militia of high schoolers, a larger part of me was more concerned with why I was being treated like a pariah. The members had refused to look at me on their way out until it was the two of us. It was a strange experience that kind of reminded me of the cold shoulder I got last year. Except, I couldn’t recall anything I had done to warrant it; however, I was still on cloud nine about Nora, her sweet perfume still lingering in my nostrils. I figured the whole school could turn against me, and I’d just keep smiling. 

Alright, that may have been a little over the top, but it got the point across. 

The kitchen was much cleaner than the last time I laid eyes upon it. The stovetops had been cleaned, dishes and utensils were neatly stacked away, and the tabletops weren’t choking under vinegar and powders. I figured that was more thanks to the club than anything Rika could have offered.

“Weird to see this place in decent shape.”

“Not you too,” she groaned. “I already got an earful from the cooking teacher about leaving things in better condition than I found them.”

I chuckled. “I mean, she’s not wrong.”

“She’s not, but it’s so hard not to make a mess when cooking. Which is why you should be thankful to me for baking this for you.”

She tossed me a tin without warning, and I barely managed to catch it by the tips of my fingers. “What if I would’ve dropped that?”

Rika shrugged her shoulders. “Guess you’d be cleaning it up.”

No matter what, I don’t think I’d ever fully understand how her brain worked. She just told me how hard she worked on making this, only to toss it halfway across the room to me. Had I been any slower to react, the tin would have hit the floor and the chocolate inside would have cracked into pieces. Whatever, it was the thought that counted.

“Thanks, Rika. I appreciate it. I’ll give you your Valentine’s chocolate tomorrow.”

“You’re welcome, though, it seems like you already got some.” Her smirk grew larger as she pointed to the bag I was clutching. “Are those from Ethan?”

She was obviously joking. Yet, it was strange that Josh had mentioned the same thing. A coincidence or was someone trying to tell me something? I briefly imagined Ethan, red-faced and stuttering, presenting me with some chocolate while he asked me out on a date. Yuck. That would be the day I would sincerely lose my mind. Nothing against the guy, but he was my best friend and nothing more. 

“I’m messing with you. Don’t act like you’re about to burn down the whole building.”

“I might just have to if that comes to pass,” I said.

The teasing look in her eyes died. “Those are from Nora, aren’t they?”

“They are.” I gripped the bag tighter, rustling the plastic with the ribbon. “We’re going out now.”

I had no idea what compelled me to reveal that information. Besides not knowing whether Nora wanted people to know we were dating, I had no real reason to tell her. Could it be that this was another attempt to prove I was moving on? By saying it aloud and letting her know, it felt more real. Something tangible that would reduce my infatuation with Rika to nothing more than a memory.

Or I was just giddy enough that I wanted to let someone else know. 

Rika appeared to take a moment to take that information in. Her raven bangs framing her face were brushed aside, her mouth forming a straight line. Gradually, it formed into her usual grin. “I see. That’s great! I always thought you guys looked cute together!”

I rubbed the back of my neck, embarrassed, but happy that she approved of us. “What did you want to tell me?”

“Huh?”

Her genuine confusion surprised me. “Last month in the courtyard you told me you had something to tell me. What was that about?”

“Oh, that little thing?” She brushed me off. “Don’t worry about that. Go hang out with your girlfriend. Jeez, I feel like I shouldn’t even have to tell you things, idiot!”

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Of course. It’s not important, really. I was just going to give you that chocolate, go through a list of all your good points, and why I was so lucky to have you in my life. I can send you the Powerpoint later, and you can go through it at your leisure.” She chuckled quietly. “Now hurry up and don’t keep Nora waiting. I’m sure you two have a lot to discuss.”

“If you change your mind, text me. I’m always willing to listen.”

She stuck out her tongue. “Always willing to listen, except right now. Like I said, I’m good, so get out of here. I’ll call you later tonight to hear about what you guys got up to.”

After securing that promise from her, I hurried down the hallway that would take me to the parking lot, where Nora was awaiting my arrival. On my way out the door, I noticed the lights to the culinary arts room flickered out, plunging it into darkness. Strange. Why didn’t Rika catch a ride with Nora if she was headed home? Neither of us would have cared. She had been rather incessant about us spending time together, though, so she might have felt like she’d be a third wheel. 

I shook my head, jogging through the mostly empty parking lot. It wasn’t a big deal. She probably had something else to do before heading out. 

Nora’s jeep was in the third row, the only car I’d seen parked in on both sides by other vehicles. Careful to avoid scraping her door into the car next to hers, I squeezed into the passenger seat and buckled in.

“How’d it go with Rika?” Nora asked, fiddling with the volume knob for the radio.

“It went fine. She gave me this.” I motioned to the tin on my lap. “I hope you’re ok with telling people we’re a couple because I told Rika.”

“I’m fine with it. I already told Amelia we were going to try to go on a few dates. I figured we could tell Ethan and Chloe too and let the rest of the school find out whenever.”

I nodded as she reversed out of the parking spot and drove out onto the street. Houses, street lights, and blurred yellow lines accompanied us on our trip. They eventually faded in the rearview mirror until more of the same replaced them. The otherwise ambient atmosphere was ruined by the loud guitar riffs ripping from her speakers in the back. I didn’t mind it. There was something about cruising along in a jeep that was kind of fun.

“How did Rika react to finding out about us dating?”

I laughed. “She seemed happy. Wouldn’t stop pestering me to hurry up and be with you.”

“Good. Do you mind if I stop by your house for a little bit?”

My smile grew. “Sounds good.”

____________ 

I didn’t get it. 

My night had been eventful, my little sister overhearing me and Nora talking about possible date spots. She ran squealing to mom and spilled everything she heard. Of course, my mom forced Nora to stay for dinner and interrogated her for all the juicy details. They were pleased about us dating–I was starting to think they both liked her more than me–so that wasn’t what I was confused about. 

No, I was confused about why Rika gave me such sweet chocolate. She had bothered to ask for my preference, after all. She hadn’t called me like she told me she would either. Double-checking my phone confirmed I hadn’t missed any calls or texts from her. 

I plugged in my phone before flopping onto my bed. This was another case of me overthinking everything. Rika must have gone to bed and gotten mine and Ethan’s preferences messed up. That was all there was to it.

There was no reason behind the overwhelming sweetness.

58