Chapter 14
674 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After walking for a while following the directions Greenwood-san gave me, I’ve finally arrived at the weapon shop.

“This should be it. But, is this really alright?”(Saito)

I feel troubled about the weapon shop. As for the reason, it is because when I look at the shop, the building looks a little tattered. What’s more, with how it is located in this kind of dark alley, it only increases my suspicion that this is not a legal shop.

‘What the hell am I thinking about? I don’t have time for this. This is the shop Greenwood-san recommended to me. There’s no way she will trick me…, right?’

I tried to assure myself, but instead it only made me feel doubtful towards Greenwood-san. After all, I can’t read minds, so I don’t know a person’s true nature and in the first place, there is no telling what might happen in the future.

‘Muu~…, whatever. It’s not like I have a choice anyway. Besides, nothing venture nothing gain. Let’s do this!!!’

After I assured myself again, I go inside to the weapon shop. When I got inside, I see there are armors and weapons around me, and also there is someone standing behind the counter.

“What do you want?”(Clerk)

The clerk behind the desk asked me. But, just from seeing that clerk, I already notice many peculiar things about him which arouse my excitement. The clerk behind the counter has a long messy brown hair. He also has a long and thick beard. Just from seeing him, it’s obvious he has muscly arms and a big belly. It’s like he is a viking, but even so, there is one of his characteristic which make me sure he is not a viking. And that is his height. That’s right, even compared to me whose actually can be considered short here, this clerk is actually much shorter than me. Just from that, it’s already obvious, this clerk came from that famous race.

‘It’s a dwarf!!!’

That’s right. A dwarf. A race which has always been known in fantasy for their capability as a blacksmith and also their rude way of talking. Sometimes, they are even described as a race with the most advanced technology.

“Hey, Boy! Why the hell are you staring at me!?”(Clerk)

“Ah! I-I’m sorry.”(Saito)

I answered. I got surprised because he suddenly talked so loudly.

“So, what do you want?”(Clerk)

“Y-yes, actually I’m searching for a weapon and armor. And since Greenwood-san recommended me to come here….”(Saito)

I said while walking to the counter.

“Oh, Luna, huh? It’s rare for Luna to have a guy friend. Well, how much is your expenses?”(Clerk)

The clerk asked me. So, I place about half of my money on the counter. The clerk then says.

“Wait here.”(Clerk)

The clerk then goes to the back. So, I wait in front of the counter. After a while, the clerk back with many things.

“First, this.”

The clerk placed a spear on the counter.

“I suggests you use this spear. Since spear use both hands, it won’t be too heavy. Also, with this you can attack your enemies from a safe distance. When you attack the enemies, you can either stab them or just swing this thing at them. This is perfect for a beginner like you.”(Clerk)

The clerk explained to me. Well, hearing from his explanation, there is nothing wrong, after all, many stories in light novel, spear is usually a weapon which is best for beginner. But, the fact that he recommends this spear to me, I guess it’s true that a dwarf can find out whether a person is a beginner at using weapons or an expert just from seeing them.

“Next, is this.”(Clerk)

Without waiting for my confirmation or anything, he suddenly continued and placed another weapon on the counter.

“This is an iron dagger. As you can see, since it is small it is easy to wield and you can attack your enemy quickly. If you will just do some quest like gathering or killing a monster outside the forest, you can just buy this. Though compared to the spear, it is more risky, but it is the cheapest one from my recommendations. And then…”(Clerk)

The clerk places another weapon again on the counter.

“This one is a mace. While it is blunt, but when it comes beating the crap out of your enemy, this is the most effective since the way you use it is just like swinging a stick. What’s more its’ maintenance is much cheaper and it won’t break easily. And this is the last one.”(Clerk)

This time it is a sword and a shield.

“As for this one, you should take it as a set. After all, when you use a sword not just you are also in an attack area of your enemies, your movement is also quite limited since the sword is longer than dagger. That’s why if you have a shield, you can rely on it for defense.”(Clerk)

“I see.”(Saito)

“Well, this is all I can recommend to you. So, how is it?”(Clerk)

He asked me. Well, although he asked me. Obviously, the choice I have is either the dagger, the sword without the shield, or the mace. After all, I’m planning to be able to fight with weapon and magic like a magic swordsman for now.

“Then, I’ll buy the dagger.”(Saito)

“You sure? Though it is not as hard as sword to use, but like I said before it is risky. After all, because it is small, you need to get really close to attack the enemies and obviously it needs some skills to be able to deal fatal damage. Your weapon is your lifeline out there, you know? If you just buy it because it is the cheapest, you will regret it.”(Clerk)

The clerk warned me.

“Of course, I understand. It’s just that I think it’s better if I can move as freely as possible. Also, I can actually use healing magic so I think it should be alright.”(Saito)

“Wait, you can use magic!? Then why the hell do you choose a dagger!? If you can use magic than it is better to use a staff.”(Clerk)

The clerk scolded me. Well, actually, this might be a good chance for me to ask.

“Why is that?”(Saito)

“Why, you say!? You, can you really use magic!? You see, all magicians and healers always use staff because it makes casting spells faster and more effective since the form of staff is the best conduit for mana when using magic. What’s more, by adding a magic crystal on the staff, it can be enchanted which cause the staff to have abilities like increasing the user’s magic power for example.”(Clerk)

‘So that is why magicians and healers always use staffs in this world.’

“I see. Thank you for telling me that. But the problem is, I’m actually planning to be able to use magic while using weapons. Also, for now, I still don’t have a plan to take a quest like killing goblins because of my rank. That is why I think this is the most suited for me.”(Saito)

I said with full of confidence.

“Wha-…!? *Sigh*…, fine then. Whatever you want. This is why beginner is such a pain. Just make sure you don’t die. Also, I won’t be responsible if anything bad happens.”(Clerk)

“Yes, thank you. Then, how about the armor?”(Saito)

“Well, since you’re using a dagger, then I think it’s better for you to wear leather armor so you don’t lose too much mobility and it will protect your whole torso.”(Clerk)

“Alright, I’ll buy that one then. Also, I would like to buy a pair of gloves and a helmet.”(Saito)

I asked him.

“Now, you’re doing what I said? *Sigh*…, oh well, at least you’re not a complete fool since you’re asking for helmet and gloves. Wait here.”(Clerk)

The clerk goes to the back again. After a while, he came out and places everything I need on the counter. Then he told me the price for everything. But, there is something which made me confused, so I asked him.

“Wait, isn’t scabbard to have its’ own price?”(Saito)

“Don’t worry about it. I’m just giving it to you for free since you are a friend of Luna.”(Clerk)

“Oh, okay. Thank you very much.”(Saito)

“Also, what is your name kid?”(Clerk)

“Eh? A-ah, it’s Sawada Saito. But my first name is Saito. So please just call me Saito”(Saito)

I introduced myself. I’ve decided since from Marina-san’s case, she actually misunderstood my first name and last name, so I thought I should introduce myself this way from now on.

“Well, that’s quite unusual. But, to think you’re actually a noble.”(Clerk)

“No, I’m not a noble. It’s just that from where I come from, everyone have last names.”(Saito)

“Is that so? Well, whatever. Anyway, my name is Gurtz, the owner of this shop. When you need maintenance for your equipment, just bring it here. I will take care of it for a cheaper price.”(Gurtz)

“Really!? Thank you very much!”(Saito)

“Don’t mention it. After all, I owe a great debt to Luna , so this is the least I can do to help her.”(Gurtz)

“Debt?”(Saito)

“Aah, it’s nothing. It’s just a story from the past. Anyway, is there anything else that you need?”(Gurtz)

“Ah, no. I think this is all of it.”(Saito)

Even though I’m a little curious what Gurtz-san mean by debt, I’ve decided to not dig any deeper about it since he doesn’t really want to tell me about it too.

“Thank you very much Gurtz-san.”(Saito)

“Yes, yes. Anyway, just like I said before, make sure you don’t die and come back. After all, it will leave a bad taste for me if someone who buys my weapons and armors died.”(Gurtz)

“Yes, I understand. Well then.”(Saito)

And with that, I finally got my first equipment. Other than that, I also managed to get some CP just like always. Now, it’s time to finish the quest and get some money. 

10