Chapter 22
540 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Here you go.”(Theresa)

“Ah, yes, thank you.”(Saito)

Right now, I’m drinking the tea Theresa-san served after I’m done cleaning the rest of the orphanage. Though, actually it’s not like it takes that much time and energy to clean the rest of the orphanage and all of that is thanks to the power of the purification magic.

“Really, thank you very much for your help Saito-san. But, even though I don’t really have the right to ask you of this, are you sure that there is no need for additional reward?”(Theresa)

“Yes, don’t worry, it’s alright. And besides, you’ve agreed to give the best grade for the survey is already more than enough, Theresa-san.”(Saito)

“Arama~, that’s because you really did a great work. After all, this is the first time the orphanage has been this clean, it’s like it is new.”(Theresa)

“Haha, thank you for the praise.”(Saito)

“But you really surprised me when you used purification that time.”(Theresa)

“Ahaha.”(Saito)

I laughed wryly.

‘It is quite funny when I remember it.’

When I used purification magic to clean the first room, Theresa-san who became silent because she was surprised suddenly told me that my work is done the moment she managed to get her senses back. And after asking her why she acted like that, the reason is the purification magic after all. Apparently, using purification magic to clean isn’t something the people of this world don’t do. It’s just that, it is quite expensive to clean using purification magic, that is why only nobles and the magicians himself who usually use this method. That is why she panicked when I suddenly use the purification magic because she was afraid that I will ask for additional reward. And with how poor the orphanage is right now, she can’t afford it.

After that, I tried convincing her that it is alright and after thinking about it a little, I insisted to clean the rest of the orphanages. Of course, while I do feel sympathy for her and the kids about their conditions, it is not like I insisted without ulterior motives. After all, I’m not a kind person or those stupidly naïve and kind protagonists. As for my motives, obviously, it is to get the best grades in the surveys since those surveys have the same meaning as telling everyone that I am a trustworthy person. Thus, increasing the possibility of being given a compulsory quest and get additional rewards. As for what a compulsory quest is, it is just like in many light novels.

It is a quest which the clients ask for a certain adventurer to complete it. And these compulsory quests are exactly what adventurers seek for since the reward is much bigger compared to normal quests. And if the clients give the best grades for the survey then you will get additional rewards from the guild. Also, since usually the clients of the compulsory quests are usually nobles. It is also a great chance to create connections with them.

As for the easiest and most efficient ways to make clients satisfied in this kind of business, it is obviously by giving free extra services. That is why I insisted on cleaning the rest of the orphanages.

Moving on, after those exchanges, I and Theresa-san enjoy our teas in silence with relaxed atmosphere. Then, I look at the kids who play around outside the house.

“*Sigh*.”(Saito)

‘How nice.’

I thought while sighing.

“Is something the matter Saito-san?”(Theresa)

Theresa-san asked me.

“Eh? Ah, it’s nothing.”(Saito)

I answered her. Honestly, when I see how those kids are smiling so happily like that while playing with each other, it makes me envy them. It made me remember just how much easier and fun my life was when I was a kid. Of course, there isn’t that much difference when I was still a kid. Since when I was a kid, I had always envied how people can have best friends and have relationships so easily, but compared to when I became an adult, at least I still don’t know many things, that is why, at least when I was a kid, I never really hate people and afraid to have relationships.

“*Sigh*.”(Saito)

‘I guess what they say about there are some things that are better off not known is true after all.’

I drink my tea again, then I felt like someone is staring at me from behind, so I turn around. There, I find a cute little girl. That little girl has short white hair in twintails and a really white skin. But more than any of that, her features which is even more distinctive than any people in this world which I have seen. It is her red eyes which shines and has colors just like a ruby.

Obviously enough, the little girl realized she got found out. She quickly runs to the back of the room she’s in a panic and sit in the corner of that room trying her best to not be seen by me. Seeing that, makes me a little curious about the little girl, so I decided to ask Theresa-san.

“Theresa-san, that little girl in that room….”(Saito)

“Hm? Ah, Philia is it?”(Theresa)

‘So her name is Philia-chan, huh?’

“Is something the matter with her?”(Theresa)

“No, that’s not it. It’s just that I got a little curious about her since she’s just sitting alone by herself.”(Saito)

“I see.”(Theresa)

Theresa-san said while smiling wryly.

“That child, every time I see her, I can only pity her.”(Theresa)

Theresa-san then told me how Philia-chan used to be a cheerful girl and how she became such a gloomy little girl like that because of an incident.

“You see, from the moment I found her, I knew that she will suffer a heavy future from her appearance. I thought, if that child will suffer in the future anyway because of that, at least, I want to make sure that she won’t get hurt while still she is still so young and let her know little by little.”(Theresa)

Theresa-san frowns and told me. In the end, the method that Theresa-san can only think of is to make sure people won’t see her, so she always make sure that Philia-chan always stays in the orphanage and never get out. She even makes sure that Philia-chan only makes contacts with the other kids in the orphanage and always told the other kids in the orphanage to never bully her and make sure they never tell anyone about Philia-chan. Because of that, Philia-chan can become such a good and cheerful girl. That is, until an incident happened.

“That time, I and the other kids are going to buy daily needs just like always, then Philia said she want to go and with us and help. Of course, I refuse and tell her to stay in the orphanage. But, she refused and being stubborn about it. Fortunately, in the end she did stay in the orphanage after the other kids also helped me to convince her. But, that is where I was wrong.”(Theresa)

Theresa-san face frowns even more than before.

“When I and the other kids finally home, inside, we see Philia passed out while bleeding on her head and all beaten up.”(Theresa)

Theresa-san said that with a sound like she’s almost crying.

“Fortunately, the bleeding on her head is not as bad as it looks, so she’s only unconscious for a few hours.”(Theresa)

Theresa-san then told me that after Philia-chan regained her consciousness, the first thing she did was crying. And when she asked Philia-chan about what happened after Philia-chan calmed down. It turned out, that on that day, Philia-chan actually still went out since she wants to help Theresa-san and the others. But, the moment people saw her, people began to shout and called her something like filthy or cursed child or monsters. Some even threw rocks at her which was the cause of her bleeding. And it was all because of her appearance.

Just like I said before, Philia-chan is a cute girl, but that is only from my perspective which means for the people of this world, she is hideous. Adds up to that, the fact that she has white hair which is the color everyone in this world hate and her red eyes which makes her look even less human only make things worse. After that, ever since then, Philia-chan never smiles anymore and become so gloomy and quiet to the point she almost never talks with anyone unless there is a need to talk.

“I see.”(Saito)

This is the only thing I say after hearing such things happen with a little girl. After being silent for a while, I then stand up from my chair.

“Hm? What’s wrong?”(Theresa)

Theresa-san asked me with a confused expression on her face.

“Theresa-san, can I go play with Philia-chan?”(Saito)

I asked her. I’ve decided I want to try to help Philia-chan since I think she is too pitiful after hearing from what Theresa-san told me. Of course, in the end, this is nothing more but a whim and I don’t know what consequences it will bring. Still, I want to try to help her. After all, I don’t want to regret because I don’t try it.

“A-are you sure?”(Theresa)

Theresa-san asked me while having a surprised expression like she can’t believe what she heard.

“Yes.”(Saito)

I replied to her instantly while smiling. When I said that, Theresa-san has her jaws dropped while still having a surprised expression.

 “…Yes, you can play with her.”(Theresa)

Theresa-san said to me with a relieved smile. After that, I go to the room where the little princess cages herself in.

8