Chapter 103: A Cause for Change 1
88 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Your Highness, you must return. It is an order from His Majesty.”

“That—… I get it. I’ll return. Tell the others I’ll get ready. Also, please recall Kanna. And that is all. You may now leave.”

“Thank you, Your Highness.” The messenger bowed.

It did not even take two days before Father’s order arrived. Simply because by the dawn of the next day the messengers were sent, a different messenger arrived.

As soon as the messenger left, I threw myself on the bed and held the pillow to my face. I then gripped the pillow and heaved a long, heavy sigh.

“Why can’t anything go according to or at least in parallel with my plans lately? Where have I gone wrong? What information am I missing?”

I moved from one side of the bed to another as I waited for Kanna and for the ship to leave.

Again, I heaved I sigh. “I guess I’ll do just that. It’s been a while anyway.”

After fixing the bed, I laid myself down and held the necklace. Recalling the sensation of transferring my consciousness into the necklace, I closed my eyes. Then, as soon as I lifted my eyelids, the familiar gigantic roots came into view.

Usually, I had a precedent of transferring my body into the room prepared by Celes. However, after some time, I managed to replicate the sensation of transferring myself into the doll without such. Still, a direct transfer of consciousness was not as safe when compared to the process that involved the precedent. Nevertheless, I could not rule out its convenience since my original body would be considered asleep in the eyes of others.

[It’s quite early for you to be here, Amelia.]

“Oh, Fenrir.” I looked up at the wolf that nimbly appeared from the side of a nearby branch coming from a large tree. “I have nothing to do so I came to visit.”

Though far he was, I knew Fenrir could hear me speak.

[I see. You came to vent your frustration.] He then trekked down the roots and silently landed on the patch of grass before me.

“…”

[You are quite easy to read when relaxed, Amelia. But it enough evidence that you feel comfortable around me.]

“Am I really? Though I guess that might be true. I mean, Erina and Kanna could do the same. And quite accurate at that. But now that I say it, I haven’t seen Erina for a while…”

[Isn’t that a joyous occasion? You are becoming more independent of the human named Erina. It may also serve as a preparation for your attachment of her. After all your life—]

“Let’s not talk about lifespan or whatnot. It’s… an uncomfortable topic.”

[Then when would you tackle such issue? It would be better be prepared for their passing when the time comes.]

“We can’t say for sure if I would outlive them.” For a moment, I stared at Fenrir’s eyes. “I’m some sort irregularity, remember? Besides, I still don’t know what is the verdict of the Divine Assembly Celes was talking about.”

[The assembly hasn’t taken place yet. However, the schedule of the assembly will take place in the last week of winter.]

“That’s when Celes will announce my legitimacy as a Divine, right?”

[I see. So you are afraid of the result.]

“Well, it won’t be easy if I were under the attention of those beings that could wreck kingdoms with ease… Though I could now see why Celes was forced to regulate their activity. I can only see chaos if they were let loose… Just imagining how absurd the fight would be in the eyes of the races—it doesn’t feel real. I mean, have the Gods gone mad? The difference was more than just the sky and the earth.”

[It’s the manifestation of the Gods’ willingness to protect their creation.]

“But they still ended up leaving.”

[Even Gods have patience, Amelia.]

“I know.” I then approached Fenrir and skimmed my fingers on his fur. After arriving at the area near his belly, I sat down. “Anyway, please let me stay for a while. I want to clear my mind.”

[Feel free.] Fenrir sat down and allowed me to lean on his body.

“Thanks.”

Like usual, Fenrir and I discussed my problems. Although I could rely on Kanna in venting, I refrained to do so. I believed she needed rest, which was of course the cause of seeing Kanna with bags underneath her eyes. It was surreal. I never expected her to go through that much in search of me.

Having spent another day with Kanna, the ship eventually arrived in Aves. Apparently, Darwin and his men, Evelyn, Marina, and William were placed in different ships which were scheduled to arrive a day later.

Nevertheless, from the port to the palace, Kanna and I were escorted from within a carriage.

“Father, Mother, I have returned.” Facing the throne, I curtsied. Although I was in the throne room, the only audience were Father, Mother, Argent, and surprisingly, Mark.

“…” Father remained rather silent. He kept his arms clutched on the armrests of his throne as he stared at my person.

“Amelia,” Mother said. She then stood from her throne and nimbly climbed down the stairs and embraced me. “I’m glad you are back.”

“I’m back, Mother. And I’m sorry.” I buried my face on Mother’s shoulder and returned her embrace. Although I welcomed the warmth, the pangs of guilt haunted my chest.

Mother tightened her embrace and her voice began to crumble.

“You shouldn’t be. If there was anyone to blame, it was us. We failed to foresee the crime. You only responded in hopes of helping your would-be sister and got caught as a result.” I then felt a damp sensation on my left shoulder. “Any later you arrived for Clarissa, it would have been a tragedy for Brent and Laurel. Still, I’m glad. I’m really glad you’re okay. I and your Father could wish for nothing more.”

I could not find the words to utter. I simply stood and listened to the words spilled by Mother. It was as if a torrent of water was rushing out of a flood gate.

I could not recall how long Mother embraced me before Father’s presence was felt behind Mother.

“Diane, let us allow her to rest. Amelia might still be exhausted.”

By Father’s prompt, Mother loosened her embrace and parted from me. “You are right. Amelia, if need be, you may stay at my room for tonight.”

I nodded in response. “Then please let me.”

“Amelia,” Father called. “Are you… alright?” Hesitantly, Father approached and reached out his hand and grabbed my own. “Were you hurt?”

I shook my head. “I managed to recover. I’m fine now. So there’s no need to worry. But if it will rest your minds at ease, I can visit the palace’s doctor.”

“Then tomorrow.”

I nodded. “In any case, Father, I’m sorry. The men you gave to guard me, they… departed.”

Suddenly, Father’s hands weighed on my shoulders. “It’s not yours to mind, Amelia. And I’m sure they parted from this world with their duty in mind. The fact that you have returned safe means their lifelong sworn duty was met. Nevertheless, we will celebrate their heroic deeds. Their names must be written in a proper tomb so their efforts will be remembered.”

“Still, their bodies are… gone.”

I… can’t say Evelyn have the bodies. If they found out… then the scenario of Evelyn saving me will be mired with doubts. I must bury them somewhere on my own. To where is… a big problem.

Father shook his head. “I see… so their bodies have been disposed of as expected.”

“But Father, the attack was not only instigated by a foreign group. In fact, locals were involved in the incident.”

Mark, I’m talking about your Mother. I hope you are prepared as your Mother’s eyes here in Aves.

For a moment, Father closed his eyes. The moment he lifted his eyelids, he said, “We’ll go into details later. For now, take a rest.”

“Yes.” Hesitantly, I approached Father and gave and embraced him. “I’m sorry and I’m back.”

Father silently returned my embrace. After tapping my back a few times, he loosened his embrace and walked back to his throne. “Now go. Go and recover as much as you please.”

I bowed my head and turned around to leave the throne room.

It was awkward. But I knew what Father felt. I could give a guess, but I was sure Father was deeply relieved.

3