Chapter 105: A Cause for a Change 3
88 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Truly, I’m just as worried as anyone else. She may not be my daughter, but she has grown along with my son.” Her platinum blonde hair braided and dangled on her left shoulder, Liz Laurel said. Her azure eyes moist, her slim and fair fingers resting on her lips, she expressed her grief. “I hope Amelia is fine.”

“I hope so too,” a man dressed in a long-sleeved shirt topped with a red vest replied. Cane in hand, albeit physically unchallenged, the man kept his sight lowered. “However, wouldn’t there be a serious uproar if the citizens possessed knowledge of the matter? Wouldn’t our blunder, failing to secure our own Royal, be a capital for the citizen’s unease? Perhaps even more capital for those who are hostile to Laurel?”

“There is that, sure enough.” Liz returned her hands to her side. She then shifted her sight to the garden on her right. Blocked by a window pane beside the hallway, ample sunlight lit the hallway where the man and Liz stood. “But wouldn’t it rouse the citizens all the same? Wouldn’t that situation, that knowledge, allow the citizens to join the search for Amelia? It may even help us procure time for her search as it impedes the perpetrators advance through towns and villages.”

“That… may be true.” The man placed his hands on the handle of his cane and shifted his sight to the same garden Liz was looking at. For several occasions, it was the same garden where Amelia used to play with Randolf. “However, I believe His Majesty’s decision is fit. After all, Amelia is not only a Princess but also a Chief. Should we release the information, the Tribe will definitely react. In what way, we do not know.”

Liz knitted her eyebrows. “Baron Tolman, aren’t you one of those responsible in regulating and securing the trade between the Tribe and Laurel? It wouldn’t be difficult to suppress the information, no?”

 

“I may suppress it, yes. However, I cannot guarantee that lips wouldn’t loosen especially when alcohol is involved. After all, the Dwarfs likes their drinks with company.”

“Baron.” Liz’s eyes widened in surprise. A hand over her lips, Liz took a step backward. “You allow your men to let loose during their duty? Isn’t that… I apologize for the word, however, isn’t that a neglect of one’s duty?”

Tolman winced. However, he retained his stance and etched a wry smile on his face. “It may be, perhaps, neglect on my part. However, what the late King wished for, what Her Highness Amelia sought, was originally the breakdown of barriers between races. The trade and all of its benefits are second. So, I, as a vassal of the late King, believe that giving my people time to interact with residents of the Tribe is contributing to that main goal.”

“…”

“I too hope to see a community far from our current. Though some may believe it is a step backward towards peace, I will stay by my belief. Even for a glimpse, I want to see what the late King envisioned.”

“Baron Tolman…” Disbelief was painted all over Liz’s face. After a second or two, Liz cracked a smile and said, “Your loyalty truly is admirable. I wished I had people like you around me. It will truly let my chest feel relief.”

Tolman returned a smile. “I hope I can pass this loyalty to my children and their children. And I hope they meet a person deserving of their loyalty.”

“In that case, would you be interested in letting your children meet my son, the Prince?” Quick as a panther, a smile immediately took form on Liz’s face. “They might see the quality in him that may raise their desire to serve.”

 

“That may be true. I will arrange a time and place for the Second Prince to meet my children.”

For a moment, Liz twitched at Tolman’s remark. “I look forward to their meeting. I hope it bears fruit.”

“Yes. I hope so too.”

“Now then, Baron Tolman, if there is anything else of the matter, please do tell. I will respond to the best of my abilities.”

“There is one, Your Royal Highness. Albeit this is for the future, I believe it is warranted to inform you that we will expand the distribution of the goods from the Tribe to the east. Since His Highness’s fief is due east, too, his fief is among those prioritized for distribution.”

“What wonderful news! Lately, my son’s fief has been expanding and had been growing! Residents too are arriving and so a looming crisis regarding supplies is projected in the near future! Please, inform me immediately when this distribution will start. I will contact whoever I know fit to help the distribution of goods among my merchant friends.”

“That is reassuring, Your Royal Highness. I will make it a point to contact you as soon as the distribution is about to enter its initial stage.”

“You have my gratitude, Tolman. Now then, if you’ll excuse me.”

“Yes, Your Royal Highness.”

Tolman bowed and waited for Liz to turn around and leave. As soon as Liz vanished from Tolman’s sight, she found herself biting her curled index finger.

Why won’t anyone agree with me?!

 

Due to Amelia’s capture, all Royals were ordered to return to Aves. Lara, Elaine, and Liz were those who were ordered to return. Camille, Rick, and Fae were not among them. Until now, their identities were kept a secret from the Nobility and the citizens.

Not wanting to raise suspicion, Liz returned to Aves at once. She traveled from the east, from Mark’s fief, a few days after she met Amelia in a secluded location.

Amelia this, Amelia that! Is everyone afraid of what Auguste will do if they did not keep their mouths shut?! And that Clarissa! I’m sure she’s doing this to gain more favor for that Argent! Can’t they see what that woman is planning?! She, a full Rentian, is about to be your Queen! How can they accept such folly?!

Liz increased her pace and eventually reached an open balcony. There she leaned and cast her glance in the surroundings.

“This be damned. How long will this Royal sanction last?”

Can’t they visualize it? Libet will definitely announce their capture of Amelia. If the people knew, they will rise to retrieve her. Wasn’t that what you want, Auguste? To completely remove Libet’s influence in Laurel. Still, those priests are troublesome. They themselves are twisted. But they are useful. It’s good enough that I did not meet them in person. I can deny their allegations after I terminate that guy.

Liz griped. She despised the notion that she was forced to return and was subsequently detained. Though she wished it was lifted sooner, she could not openly protest to avoid raising speculations.

Liz, from the eyes of Amelia, is by no means a threat. Amelia often ignored what Liz had to say. Amelia often simply smiled at her suggestions, which to no end infuriate Liz. Since, for some reason, Amelia’s voice is louder than hers. A Princess’s voice was louder than a Queen’s. It was far from acceptable. At least, to Liz.

By birth, Liz Laurel, originally Liz Barques, was a daughter of a wealthy merchant named Anthony Barques. Their family name rooted from the word barque, which was a type of sailing vessel often likened to a Galleon. To them, a barque symbolized their power, their wealth. Owning several of those, the Barques held the helm of the trade between Laurel, Brent, and Libet through the sea of Formos.

 

For generations, the Barques owned a single barque. Ironic it sounded, the generations of merchants under the family of Barques hoped to increase the number of barques they owned. However, some six decades ago, the Barques succeeded in procuring another barque.

During their acquisition of the second barque, the Barques already owned several smaller sailing vessels. These vessels along with their barque, the Barques took the sea trade by storm. And it all started before Randolf became King of Laurel.

The name of the Barques family gradually sunk into the minds of the citizens as a model of hard work. Although unconnected to Nobles by blood, the Barques became prominent figures. Figures sometimes considered more powerful than any simple Noble.

About three decades in the past, Anthony Barques succeeded the family. At that time, the family was at their peak. Anthony considered a somewhat eccentric person, immediately took a wife as soon as he inherited the will of the Barques.

Anthony’s wife was likened to a tool. Anthony, using his name and power, searched for his ideal woman. From daughters of Nobles, orphans, women from towns and villages, Royalty, prostitutes, and more, Anthony searched. He searched a single characteristic from a woman, which was physical beauty.

Anthony’s search for a beautiful woman rose expectations from women around Randia. After all, whatever their background, as long as the woman was beautiful, Anthony will give the woman a chance. Therefore, one after the other, those who wanted to hit big in life and was confident with their appearance, tried to seduce Anthony.

 

Most women ended with up with nothing but words of gratitude from Anthony. Even daughters of Nobles, which the citizens considered graced with exceptional beauty, was turned down. This news immediately dampened those who are hopeful but knew their beauty when compared to those who were labeled as bearers of exceptional beauty. Thus, as immediate as the fire spread, the flames of excitement withered into smoke.

However, six months after his contest started, Anthony announced his would be wife. And to everyone’s surprise, the woman was, for any given word, far from what the citizens could call beautiful.

Two-thirds of the scalp of the woman, the right side of her head, lacked a resemblance of hair. Her face, the right side of her face, was scarred beyond recognition by flames. Her body, thin as an abandoned child, lacked the luster and color women hoped to gain. And her hair, though hinting a semblance of gold, was almost completely white.

In a single look, anyone would have given the woman a pitiful stare. Rather than a manifestation of beauty, the woman exuded the lack of it. However, despite the confusion and negative reactions from the citizens, Anthony married the woman and gave birth to who was now Liz Laurel.

However, Anthony’s marriage with the mysterious woman was not taken favorably. First and foremost, Anthony announced that he was searching for a woman with unchallenged physical beauty. And Anthony’s choice did not bode well. And for that, the people believed that Anthony simply started a publicity stunt in order to gain fame and attention.

And thus, for the first two years Anthony became head of the Barques family, the family experienced mistrust. Naturally, the family’s gross income flunked.

However, in the second year after his wife gave birth to Liz, Anthony let artists meet and draw Liz. Now the artists, specialized in drawing women from varying age groups, were surprised by Liz. Liz was, for the lack of a better word, a beauty. At one glance, artists knew that the child would grow up as a beautiful woman.

 

Afterward, Anthony allowed the artists to release the artwork of his child. The result was another storm of confusion for the citizens, especially those who doubted Anthony’s decision.

Liz was beautiful. So beautiful that the people were mystified by her origin. However, that mystery only deepened when they knew that the woman who gave birth to the child was close to hideous.

The citizens were baffled beyond comprehension.

After spreading more and more rumors and igniting the flames of curiosity, Anthony then spoke in front of the citizens. He prepared a stage using the two barques he owned as a backdrop.

“You see, people often lacked insight. We immediately judge physical beauty by its present appearance. We delude ourselves that what we see in the present will be the same in the future. What we see in the present is the same as its past. That is wrong.”

People who heard Anthony’s speech felt both its triggering words and the realization that came along with it.

“Beauty can be achieved. Beauty can expire. It can also be maintained. However, beauty, too, can be hidden like a precious gem underneath the surface. It can be covered by plain dirt and rocks. However, once cleaned, once its identity is revealed, it can be like a geode—a beauty to behold.”

“Not all women with scars. Those with thick callouses, too. Those scarred by fire. Whose skin turned a darker shade as they worked underneath the sun like men. Those hair and looks not considered unique by varying standards. They too can be beautiful. Not in just the present, but also from their past and the future.”

Anthony’s words drew more questions than answers. It was somewhat vague. His speech garnered numerous interpretations, both good and bad. Some even called it preposterous or hypocritical. Some said it had a deep meaning and Anthony wanted the people to dwell on it on their own. Still, Anthony spoke no further. He never gave another account or word regarding the issue. He simply lavished at his name and the name of his merchant group being passed around like rumors.

 

Thus, carrying both fame and infamy, the name of the Barques further spread in Randia. It spawned books trying to decipher what Anthony truly meant. It spawned books and questions questioning the origin of his wife. Bards sang his tale and theaters reenacted his story, albeit with changes of their own. Nevertheless, it did not take long before the name Barques became far more known to citizens than the Royals.

Anthony’s main goal was summarily achieved.

Several years passed and the Barques gained another barque. By then, Auguste was already considered as the next King as he wedded Diane. Now Argon, Auguste’s only rival to the throne, had completely withdrawn and returned to his dukedom saying, ‘The next King is already decided’.

Auguste’s future rule was said to be stable due to the early closure of the dispute between the two Prince. However, to Auguste, it was not enough.

For Laurel who chose to produce than consume, they needed someone or something to distribute its produce. That was when Anthony entered the scene and offered Liz’s hand in marriage to Auguste.

During that time, Diane did not give any statement regarding the offer. She simply observed the events and followed Auguste’s decision. And Auguste’s decision then was to accept Anthony’s offer. At that moment, the distribution of produce was secured for the incoming years.

However, the problem did not end there. Though Diane was silent all throughout, she hated the idea. To be specific, Diane hated the idea of Auguste having another woman besides her. It was a personal problem, and Diane being the woman she was, set the issue aside. After all, the move was nothing but beneficial for Laurel.

 

After eight months of bearing the child in her stomach, Diane heard the news that Liz was pregnant. Diane expected it. After all, Auguste was still in that age where he wanted to play around. His age for a prince was too early to bear responsibility as a King. And so, albeit not prohibited and not unexpected, Auguste produced a child with Liz.

Still, Diane was hurt. Though Diane was considered beautiful herself, a blessed woman with both talent and looks, she knew her physical appearance was no match for Liz. Liz was just that beautiful. Liz was, just any man would say, desirable. A woman many would have dreamed of living a peaceful life with.

When the news spread, the expectation for Liz’s child rose. With Liz’s blood mixed with that of Laurel’s, they expected another child of unchallenged beauty. After all, Anthony has baffled countless people with the physical appearance of his child. Subsequently, however, it drew attention away from Diane’s soon-to-be-born child.

Diane was unsatisfied, of course, but there was nothing she could do.

When Diane gave birth, it was a silver-haired boy. When news spread, again, attention was drawn. This time, it was from Liz’s child to Diane’s. After all, a likely heir to the throne was immediately born. The citizens rejoiced and celebrated through day and night. It was as if an announcement saying that Royal bloodline is secured.

This time, dissatisfaction grew inside Liz.

Liz was accustomed to being the center of attention. When she was studying, every boy, or even girl, will come up to her and ask her, get her favor, or get into her good side. With her looks and her status as the daughter of the most prominent merchant, it was not hard to see why people stuck to her as much as they could. It was human nature.

 

Liz grew up without guidance from her Mother. In fact, Liz’s mother only raised her until two years of age. Afterward, her nanny took over. The whereabouts of her Mother was unknown to her. Neither did Anthony say anything after Liz asked.

Anthony, like Liz’s mother, gave her very little attention. His mind always wondered how to further raise the efficiency of his sales. He sought whatever was best for his company of merchants. His mind was too preoccupied with stuff unrelated to Liz.

Whenever Liz asked or introduced a story to Anthony, he would reply in a disinterested tone. It was as if Anthony never actually thought of Liz as his child. Now Liz, finding refuge in her circle of friends, grew independent of her parents.

Nevertheless, Liz grew up somewhat haughty. She learned how to use her name and status to get around. She used those people who sucked up to her as she pleased. She enjoyed being at the top. She felt exhilarated as her plans succeeded one after the other. And thus, it did not take long before the Liz of the present was born.

With the nature she developed, Liz, upon being offered the seat of a Queen, immediately grabbed the opportunity. However, she never expected that she’d feel powerless.

The maidservants did not follow whatever she ordered them to do. The Nobles attracted to her beauty engaged her in a war of speech and conditions. And most of all, her ability was often compared to Diane.

Liz was inferior to Diane. It was a fact around Tercel. None would have dared question this comparison.

However, Liz thought, My child. I’ll raise him as the next King.

Liz considered it a challenge. A goal. And thus, when she was about to give birth, her expectations were at its peak. She believed that her child will receive the same attention she received when she was two years of age.

 

But for some reason, Liz’s child was not what she expected.

Mark Laurel was by no means ugly. He bore the same blonde hair as her mother as well as her azure eyes. However, he did not fall into the category where Liz fell. At most, Mark could be considered above average. Though he was considered more handsome than Argent, he did not bore the exceptional beauty everyone expected of him. And so, the expecting citizens were disappointed. Liz, too, was disappointed.

However, Liz did not back out. She resolved to make Mark the next King of Laurel. And to do that, Mark needs to gain the favor of both the citizens and the Nobles.

Curses! Curses! Curses! Diane, Argent, and Amelia! Every single one of them is a nuisance! If only Diane and Amelia died back then, I wouldn’t have encountered this problem!

Liz, back at the balcony, balled her fist and hit the railings. She recalled Diane’s birth complication. Though she had nothing to do with the complication, Liz was one of the prime candidates for Diane’s stress. After all, Liz took Diane’s second pregnancy as a time to move around and garner support for Mark.

Nevertheless, when Diane gave birth to Amelia, she lost a large amount of blood. Though successful the childbirth was, the doctors concluded that Diane could no longer conceive.

Nonetheless, till the present, Liz loathed the day Amelia was born. She loathed how overjoyed the citizens were. She despised the jeers and shouts the citizens expressed when they heard that a silver-haired Princess was born. It was a festival. It was even marked in the calendar as a special occasion.

And thus, again, Liz was reminded of her powerlessness. She was reminded of her fading fame. She was reminded that history and tradition outstripped her beauty by more than a mile.

 

The bloodline must be continued by Mark. Not anyone else. Not Argent. Not Amelia. Especially not that commoner Elaine! And how dare they! How could they easily fear such simple threats! It’s not as if Diane has the power to behead you and your families!

Liz approached several Nobles. Starting with those influential ones, Liz tried to bridge a connection. However, for some reason, the Nobles, especially those near Aves, were somewhat neutral when dealing with Liz. Every single one of them agreed to meet and speak with her but entirely refused to partner with her.

There was once an occasion where a Noble informed Liz.

“Though I wanted to be of use to you, Your Royal Highness, and perhaps start a new age for Laurel, now is not the time.”

“And why is that?” Liz knitted her brows. “I have introduced you to several merchant groups and allowed your fief to prosper. Is that not enough? Or are you willing to see those merchants leave?”

The Noble shook his head. “That is not the case. It is simply that a number of us Nobles are under the watchful eye of the Queen. Any form of suspicion puts us in a risk. To be honest, I envy those who are far from Aves. They are hardly a concern for the Queen.”

“I have never heard of this. What sort of harassment the Queen is doing? If need be, I’ll help in exposing this unjust form intrusion to the people. She must be stopped.”

The Noble shook his head. “Accounts varies from one Noble to another to the point that we are unsure of how the Queen is investigating us Nobles. One says there is a spy among the servants. Others say there are watchers around the fief. Some say there are guards specialized in stealth who are willing to break into the houses. Some say the mercantile guild is providing information to the Queen. However, all of these accounts lacked evidence. And so, if we ever raise this complaint and was proven false, we Nobles will be in a bind.”

“So, you opted to lay low and stay silent?!”

“Yes, indeed. Rather burn our nerves pinpointing which of the accounts were being used, if even one of those were even being used, we hope to take our time.”

 

“Agh!” Liz gritted her teeth. “How can she have this much time?! Is she really spending that much time into this?!”

“Believe me, Your Royal Highness, we, too, find it unbelievable. However, Diane was always known as a fox. It may even be possible that the accounts were mere trickery and were simply a strategy to force us Nobles to lie in wait.”

“That woman! Then and now, she gets into my way!”

Again, and again, Liz’s plans were shot down. Albeit not every single on her plans were shot down, her preparations were still lacking.

With a deep breath, Liz released a quick breath and turned back to the hallway she came from. She walked down the carpet and eventually reached Mark’s room.

“Is Mark around?” Liz asked the maidservants waiting outside Mark’s room.

“Mark has left to the training grounds, Your Royal Highness,” one of the maidservants replied.

“I see.” As quick as she arrived, Liz left.

A moment later, Liz found Mark swinging his wooden sword on a pell. Alone, he struck the pell from different angles. From above, From the sides. A stab and roundhouse kick. Mark’s movements were sharp. And the beads of sweat forming on his skin was evidence of him draining his stamina on the pell.

“Mark, sword practice again?” Liz approached with her hands on her side.

“Mother?” Mark turned around. His golden fringes stuck to his forehead. His somewhat damp hair expressed a golden gleam. “What brings you here, Mother? Is there any problem?”

Mark placed the sword on the ground and approached Liz.

“Mark, like I said once, you are a Prince. There is very little merit for you to learn the way of the sword. Rather, you should learn more about the management of your fief. So tell me, why are you here once more?”

 

Mark winced. “Mother, not unless I can beat Amelia in a swordfight alone, I won’t stop training with the sword.”

“Amelia again…” Liz placed a hand on her forehead and sighed. “Can’t you forget that you lost to her? That girl is a brute. And besides, she might have been hiding a shard somewhere to overpower you with Body Reinforcement. If you fight her straight-on without a similar magic, you will hardly have the chance to win.”

Mark winced once more. “No. I cannot allow her to win over me. She’s a girl. She is younger than me. And every time we meet in the hallway, she always teases me that I cannot match her with the sword. It’s infuriating. I want to beat her and prove to everyone that I have the skill to beat her. Mother, I don’t want to grow as a laughing stock. And I’ll prove that starting with beating Amelia in battle.”

Liz sighed once more. “Mark, there is very little chance that Amelia will return. Accept that and move on.”

“No!” Mark gritted his teeth. “I can’t let that happen! She must return! If not, my record will forever be stained with a loss against her!”

“Mark! Listen! You are not a knight! You are no fighter or adventurer! You are a Prince! If you can prove you are a worthy Prince, everyone will look up to you! That little misfit between you and Amelia will be nothing but dust on the side of the road!”

“But! But!” Mark balled his fist. It quivered.

“How many times do I have to tell you, Mark?! You are a Prince. A Prince. That Amelia is hardly a role model for a Royal.”

Mark clicked his tongue.

“If that is all, then let us return to your room. We’ll resume your lessons.”

“Yes, Mother.” With downcast eyes, Mark followed Liz.

As the search for Amelia ensued, Mark was continuously lectured by Liz. Liz taught whatever she knew about connections. She taught Mark more about the mercantile world. And during those times, they hardly showed any concern for Amelia’s on-going search. Still, for Diane, it was expected. It was a normal thought pattern for Liz, at least, that was what Diane thought.

 

Nevertheless, the day came where news broke out that Amelia was found. During that time, the Royals were gathered in the throne room. Lara and Elaine aside, Auguste revealed the location where Amelia was found. At that moment, Auguste expressed his relief. He slumped on his throne and had almost fallen asleep.

During the announcement, Liz was silent. Mark smiled slightly. And, in a series of events, Liz immediately called a merchant near Tercel and snuck into its carriage. Leaving Mark uninformed of her sudden leave, Liz gathered more merchants whose stocks had run out and needed a resupply.

Then parading the group of merchants outside Aves, Liz sighed in relief.

“It was a hastily formed group. I can’t believe I was able to do it. But luck is on my side.” Liz curled her body and leaned on an empty barrel.

That girl. How is she alive?! Wasn’t there a Hero with her? Isn’t she supposed to be dead if they clashed? Even if she’s experienced in combat, there is no way she can defeat a Hero in a straight up battle. If she could… No, impossible. No ordinary human can beat a Hero.

Still, that bitch. She surely knows to hang on her dear life. How many times was it? Is she really favored by the Gods? Well, whatever. Considering them, they’ll start searching for me in the east. They’ll search Mark’s fief in hopes of finding me.

Liz chuckled.

You won’t find me there, Diane. I’m sure I have already left Laurel by the time you realize. And since this something I created without many preparations, there will hardly be any evidence. Ahahaha. Yes. This is perfect. I have not prepared for this but this is indeed a welcome situa—

The carriage took a sudden halt and made Liz bump her head onto one of the barrels. “Just what? Why did it stop?”

Liz passed through one barrel after the other and reached the back of the coach’s seat. Liz peered between the seams of the carriage’s white canopy and found an unexpected group of people.

 

Guards?! Why are they here?! Did they find me out? That fast?! No! Impossible! Even for Diane, this is not a speed I would expect. So why?! How?!

“Liz! I know you’re somewhere around here!” Lara, surrounded with Guards along with Erina, shouted. From another carriage behind the one Lara came out of was Marco and Elaine.

“Mother, what is going on?!” Elaine asked. Marco beside her nodded with his arms crossed.

[Question! Why?]

“Guards, Escort Elaine and Marco back into the carriage.” Lara then looked at Elaine and said, “I’ll tell you later. For now, we must secure your safety.”

“Un.” Elaine nodded. “Come on, Marco.”

And just like that, Elaine and Marco left the scene.

“Again, Liz, I know you are in there. So come out. It’s a futile effort to wait it out. If you think I’ll stop at warning you, then you’re wrong.” Lara turned to one of her Guards and borrowed his sword. Upon unsheathing the sword, Lara pointed its tip at the nearest coachman. “You. Speak. If you are ever found out housing one of the Royals who is under the suspicion of Treason, you, too, will be labeled with the same crime for being an accomplice. So, if I were you, I’d speak, now.”

The coachman shrieked. “I-I don’t know anything! I swear! We are simple merchants hoping to sto—”

“Guards! Capture this man!” Lara did not wait for the man to speak. And just as she ordered, the first coachman was pinned down on the ground with a cloth covering his mouth.

“To all the other coachmen and merchants here. I will ask you the same question. Where is the Second Queen Consort?”

 

“Lady Lara… what is going on?” Erina asked with a puzzled expression.

“Erina, the culprit for Amelia’s capture is in front of us. Shouldn’t we capture her now?”

“Culprit? You meant that the Second Queen is responsible for Amelia’s capture?” Erina’s blood started to boil. Her hands clasped each other in hopes of calming herself down. “Isn’t this false accusation?”

“The evidence can come later.” Lara shook her head and began walking. The Guards around her followed. “What we need now is to detain the suspect. In any case, Erina, use the falcon and send a message to Tercel. Tell them there is a confrontation between the two Queens. I’m sure Diane or Amelia will figure it out.”

“Then, as you wish.” Erina turned around and ran towards the fourth carriage where a falcon was perched on top.

“Liz, if you want to play a game of wait and see, then I’ll give you that. The only time left you have is the time for the Royal Guards to reach this place.”

Lara eyed each coachman and merchant. She did the same to the few adventurers who hitched a ride with the merchants. “Now, if none of you will confess before the Royal Guards arrive, then I hope Diane shows you mercy.”

2