Chapter 106: A Cause for a Change 4 – Arc 4 End
303 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Your Majesty! Your Highness! I apologize, but this is an urgent matter!” A maidservant barged into Diane’s chamber holding a piece of paper. “A message arrived addressed to Your Majesty and Her Highness. The letter came from Her Highness’s Maidservant, Erina, but the seal used was that of Her Royal Highness, Lara. The letter also contained a lock of hair which we believed came from Your Highness’s maidservant.”

Amelia sprung out of the bed as soon as she heard Erina’s name. Diane sat up and promptly left the bed in a calm manner.

“Erina’s hair?” With hurried steps, Amelia approached the maidservant and reached out her hand. “Please, let me.”

“Understood.” The maidservant offered the letter to Amelia using her two hands. As soon as Amelia received it, the maidservant bowed and took several steps backward.

Immediately after Amelia received the letter, she unfastened the lock of hair and unfolded the letter.

“What does it say, Amelia?” Diane approached from Amelia’s side.

“It’s…” Amelia knitted her brows. “A dispute. A dispute between Queen Lara and Queen Liz just outside Aves.”

Diane wore a puzzled expression. “A dispute, you say? Let me see.”

Amelia took another pass of the contents of the letter before passing it to Diane.

Liz escaped… and Lara stopped her.

“Liz left Aves without her guards?” For a moment, Diane’s eyes expressed disbelief. A few seconds after, she passed the letter to the maidservant. “Melissa, get the Guards. Search for Liz’s servants and tell them to gather at the training grounds. Bring this letter to Auguste, too.”

“Understood, Your Majesty.” Melissa, the maidservant, took a step backward and bowed. Then swiftly after Diane nodded, Melissa walked towards the hallway.

“I find it confounding. For Liz to escape undetected… is our security that lax?”

“With enough physical experience and knowledge of Tercel’s blueprint, anyone can leave Tercel undetected.” Amelia expressed a wry smile.

Diane frowned. “Amelia, don’t use you and your Father as a basis. Both of you are a special case. However, going with that, knowledge, Liz could have only left Tercel with an accomplice. Still, for Lara to confront Liz… It does not seem like the matter is related to Lara’s identity as a commoner. So the only plausible reason is…”

Diane looked straight into Amelia. “You have to explain, Amelia.”

“I…” Amelia’s sight fell to her bare feet.

 


 

The Royal Guards rushed to the scene outside Aves. When they arrived, a few of the merchants were bound by Lara’s guards. None were physically injured.

Liz opted to wait it out, hoping Lara would stop. However, when the guards came, all her hope was lost. Liz came out of one the carriages and peacefully surrendered. Again, none was hurt. The issue was quickly resolved.

The adventurers mixed with the turn of events quietly stood on the sides. Though their task was to protect the merchants, the contract did not entail protecting them from the law. Thus, in the end, they were immediately released after a light interrogation in Tercel.

The merchants were confined in Tercel and were scheduled for further investigation. Despite the sanction on Royals, they helped Liz escape Aves.

Liz, on the other hand, “I forced them to take me out of Aves. I also acquired one of those clips from the black market. The same clip you and Amelia were using when leaving Tercel.”

“… Then, why west? And you know well there is a sanction. Why did you try to leave?” Auguste asked, his knitted brows and deep frown expressed remorse. He looked at Liz. Surrounded by guards, Liz had no escape.

“I was bored. I was born of a merchant. Being confined in a single place is not for me, Auguste. You know that well.” Liz gritted her teeth. She glared at Lara standing next to Diane.

“Liz, yesterday you heard that Amelia was found and bound for Tercel,” Lara said. Her straight face and blank eyes stared Liz down. “It’s suspicious that the day after Amelia returned, you left Aves with very little preparation. Perhaps you did not expect that Amelia will return?”

“That’s a false accusation. I have no involvement with Amelia’s capture. I was in Mark’s fief during the time she was captured.”

Lara glanced towards Amelia standing at the foot of the throne next to Erina. “Amelia, please, tell us what happened.”

“There is no need.” Diane interrupted. “Amelia had already told me the events that happened. There is no need for Amelia to recall those painful events so I’ll speak in her stead.”

Lara knitted her brows. “Diane…”

“Amelia, Erina, you may leave,” Diane ordered. “I’ll take care of everything.”

“Thank you, Mother.”

“Understood, Your Majesty.”

As Amelia and Erina left the throne room, Lara was left dumbfounded. Auguste, too, was confused by the turn of events.

“Diane, what is the meaning of this?” Auguste asked. “Amelia’s personal input on this matter is—”

“Like I said, Auguste, Amelia had already told me what she saw and experienced.” Diane smiled. “And besides, you yourself wanted Amelia to take her time and relax, didn’t you? So let’s leave her out of this and let her rest. There’s also the fact that Clarissa wants to meet Amelia. And to dampen Amelia’s mood before they meet as sisters is not a wonderful idea.”

“… Diane. This is not like you.” Lara frowned. “I agree with letting Amelia rest, but it’s—”

“I know you want to prove your claim, Lara. But trust me. My words will only hold the truth.”

Lara grumbled. She tapped her fingers on her forearms and said, “If it’s for Amelia’s well-being, then I guess it’s fine.”

“Auguste?”

Auguste sighed. “Whatever you decide. However, I only want the truth, Diane.”

Diane giggled. “I am on your side, Auguste. There is no need to worry.”

Liz was silent the entire time. As she witnessed the exchange between the Royals, Liz kept her lips slightly open. She tried to suppress the air leaving her throat. She suppressed her heaving chest in order to hide her fear. Yet, her back was cold. The sweat building up around her body was plenty. The beating of her heart was like a beating drum. Still, her expression bore none of the emotions building inside her aside from frustration.

“What are you planning, Diane?” Liz asked.

Diane stood from her throne and smiled. “Nothing. Nothing at all. I simply wish to bring what is just and beneficial. There is nothing more.”

“…”

“Liz, you are guilty.”

 


 

Erina and Amelia exited the throne room. In silence, Amelia walked down the hallway followed by Erina. Amelia quickened her pace. Erina, on the other hand, tried to catch up.

“Wait, Amelia.”

“…”

Amelia sped up. She turned to a corner and vanished from Erina’s sight.

“Amelia!” Erina ran. She took the corner as she held her skirt. “Amelia…” However, throughout the hallway, Amelia’s figure was nowhere to be found.

“Amelia, I know you’re there.” Erina stood her ground at the center of the hallway. “And I know this is not the place to talk.”

The silence ensued.

“In the garden, I’ll wait. Let me speak with you.” As soon as Erina parted with her words, she turned around and started walking.

[There’s no need.] A whisper resounded through Erina’s mind.

Taking a sudden halt, Erina turned once more and surveyed the surroundings. However, still, the empty hallway remained as is.

“Why are you hiding? This is not like you.”

[I can say the same, Erina. Why are you here? You are supposed to be in the Duchy, Aiding Mola and Meiko. Not here, not with Lara. So why?]

“Amelia.” Erina sighed. “You left me there without notice. You ran away with Kanna and Birby. You left me with no instructions. And soon after, I met Her Royal Highness Lara.”

[Still, Erina, you should be in the Duchy. What made you serve Lara? Have you… switched sides? Have you… lost faith in me?]

“Are you that worried?” Erina frowned. “Worried that I turned over to someone else? That’s pathetic Amelia. You know that won’t happen.”

[If it’s for me, you would turn against me, Erina. So, I can’t say for sure.]

“That…” Erina’s sight fell towards the floor. “Might be true…”

Erina felt a warm sensation wrapped around her waist.

“I’m glad you’re still the Erina I know.” Amelia leaned her head on Erina’s back.

Erina cupped Amelia’s arms and smiled. “It’s good to see you’re back, Amelia. But still, running off like that is not acceptable. You still act like a child.”

“I am a child. You’re child, too. So, let me do as I please.” Amelia chuckled. “It’s nice to see you again, Erina.”

A moment after Amelia and Erina’s short reunion, they reunited with Kanna in Amelia’s chamber.

“Ooh! It’s Erina! It’s nice to see you again!” Kanna ran up to Erina and raised her hand.

“It’s nice to see you again, Lady Kanna.” Erina smiled, Ignoring Kanna’s raised hand.

“You’re still the same as always.” Kanna frowned, returning her hand to her waist. “With this, we’re going to where Meiko is, right?”

“Ah, about that. We might be joined by another Hero.”

““…”” Erina and Kanna stared at Amelia in disbelief.

“Just what did you do, Amelia? The last time I heard you were kidnapped and here you are saying you got another Hero under your wing? What kind of ridiculous things have you been doing?” Erina heaved a sigh. “Amelia, we need to get your head checked.”

“I might be mental already, so there’s no need.” Amelia chuckled.

“Yeah, Lia. We need to get you fixed. It’s not that easy to get a Hero by your side.”

“Rather, it’s more of a contract between me and Evelyn. We’re not necessarily fighting on the same side. But we aren’t fighting against each other. That’s for sure.”

“Are you sure you can handle this?” Erina asked.

“I’ll get to it when the problem arises. I’m not entirely sure how Evelyn will move so I can’t plan ahead.”

“So, bringing her along is like trying to put a leash on her?” Kanna muttered. “I guess that works.”

“I hope it really does.” Amelia smiled. “In any case, shall we?”

 


 

It has been long. It was an arduous series of events. No matter, the events were resolved as peaceful as possible. Naturally, it had brought a smile on my face. It was like a weight off my shoulder. Due to that, I could not help but indulge myself at the comfort the rushing wind brought. It has been a while, truly. Maybe sometime in the future, I might as well indulge in the simplicity of riding a wyvern and enjoying the peaceful sky. Still, the leaves from the trees had mostly fallen. However, the coming winter had its own charm.

“Don’t tell me you have been doing this for quite some time, or are you?”

From behind came Evelyn’s voice. For her first time on a wyvern’s back, it was quite admirable. On the contrary, she was excited. She liked the fact that she would ride a wyvern and call herself a wyvern knight. It was somewhat childish of her but being among the first few humans to ride a wyvern is somewhat rewarding—at least, that’s how I saw it.

“Not much, but I have ridden wyverns for the past month and a few weeks. So, it hasn’t been that long. Besides, this mode of transportation isn’t all that advantageous yet. In a natural course of events, anyone nearing a town or village will be alarmed of an incoming wyvern and cause panic.”

“You have a point, but this is very convenient. If I were you, I’d be traveling from one place to another and discover some ruins. Maybe uncover a hidden truth or treasure while at it.”

“I get that traveling around at your own pace is exciting. However, that is if you are not bound by responsibility.”

“Being a Hero?” Evelyn chuckled. “I may be a Hero in name, Princess, but that does not mean I will act as one. I mean, who labels a person just when they are summoned? Doesn’t the people know that a Hero has a specific set of qualities?”

“What you are referring to is a true Hero. Not a Hero based on the judgment of a single group or entity.”

“You really hate Libet, do you? I get that vibes from you whenever it involves them.”

“That much is obvious.” I sighed. “On the other hand, you are truly opportunistic. I can’t believe you’ll agree to my terms that easily.”

“I don’t have a specific side I’m leaning on. I do things for myself. Besides, l must look after you, non-human.”

“Give me whatever label you want. It does not change the fact that you aren’t fighting against me right now.”

“But that doesn’t mean we’ll always be facing the same direction, right? You’re pretty much keeping me as a ticking bomb.”

“No matter the case, I have no time to increase my enemies. Rather, it would be best for me to increase my allies. Or at least, reduce my enemies. That, for me, is enough.”

“Heh. Rather, wouldn’t keeping me more of a headache than not?”

“You already are. And I can always end you if you do.”

“Says the person who’s showing her back to me.”

“I hope you can fly.”

Evelyn chuckled. “There is that. But like I said, I’d only revive back in Libet. There’s no point in killing me.”

“…” I recalled what Celes told me. She once said the Heroes did no know that they could not revive. However, if the revival ability was part of their original blessing, it was a different case. “If I were you, I won’t rely much on the ability to revive.”

“To see is to believe, right? But yeah, it’s not like I love to feel pain anyway. It’s sickening so I’ll refrain from dying as much as possible.”

“In any case, behave yourself. You’ll get what you want if you do so.”

“That I’ll decide for myself.”

It did not take long for me and Evelyn to head to the Duchy, unmindful of Father’s wish. I left using Birby while Kanna and Erina fetched another wyvern in the Tribe. With the danger of Evelyn acting up, I took up the role of riding with Evelyn as a precaution. I could not allow her to ride with either Kanna or Erina. However, before we left, there were a few disputes and a few loose strings. No matter, those things would resolve on their own—a matter that would easily be resolved by Mother.

I could not express how grateful I am for Mother to listen to my wishes.

I told her the truth of the events that happened while leaving out the fact of my identity. Thankfully, Mother understood what I wanted to achieve. And in all gratitude, Mother gave me her support, and thus me leaving Liz’s trial to her judgment.

Liz was proven guilty, but the result of the trial was never made public. Subsequently, Mark’s right to the throne was relinquished due to Liz’s deeds. Therefore, Liz’s original goal of ousting Argent from the race was far from reality. In terms of the order, I became second in line for the throne. Third was Elaine.

Liz, having lost her direction, was put into house arrest for an indefinite time. That punishment was my wish.

Although it was true that her deeds amounted to her death, I felt it was not the right thing to do. If ever we announced that Liz was involved with Libet for capturing me, the citizens’ ire would surely rise. At that point, Mark’s fief would be in peril. Not to mention Mark’s life.

No matter how much I hated Mark, he was just a tool for Liz. I could not blame him. He only followed what was drilled into him. He followed what thought was right. In fact, I was thankful that my brother was simple and straightforward.

Nevertheless, what I was surprised about was Liz admitting the deed. She even claimed responsibility for the merchants she hired. For her to do such… it was surprising. I never expected that of her. Maybe, just maybe, she did give extra care to her subordinates. However, that care was not enough to overcome Mother.

After all, until now, Mother is insurmountable.

There is also the fact that I wanted to give Libet a blow to reduce their power. A declaration of war would surely achieve that with terrorism as the cause. However, a war between humans during the calm period was not desirable. I’d rather have Laurel’s resources allotted to the production of food and materials for the incoming war after winter. And for that to happen, Laurel must not go to war with Libet.

That said, all in all, the matter of Liz’s treachery was peacefully resolved. However, of course, Father was not amused. Although I heard Father wanted to execute Liz himself, Mother stopped him. Mother reasoned out Liz’s identity as the daughter of Anthony. With her execution, Laurel’s ties with the Barques would be jeopardized. And with the people hearing the cause, the Barques popularity with Laurel’s people would plummet. At the current situation where the distribution of goods was of prime importance, the result was undesirable. And thus, Mother gave Father the option of letting Liz live under certain conditions. Without any other option, Father agreed and resolved the case.

If there was anyone unhappy with the result, it was Lara.

I was thankful that Lara stopped Liz for me. However, her opinion somewhat differed from me and Mother. Although she understood the current war situation, she was adamant on punishing Liz. It went to the point that Lara visited me in my chamber.

“Just what did you do, Amelia?” Lara asked with knitted brows. “What she did to you was unbecoming of a Royal. She threatened the peace of Laurel and the Royals itself. After all that, you are willing to let it slide? What were you and Diane thinking?”

“I’m sorry, Mother Lara.” I shook my head. “The situation calls for a peaceful resolution even though I am with you for the punishment.”

“That again! Do you really think that producing resources for war is enough?”

“That I do not know. However, as much as possible, I want to elevate our advantage by providing Brent with sufficient equipment.”

“No!” Her fist balled, Lara walked back and forth around my chamber. “That won’t do Amelia! Even with preparations, the war is far from easy!”

I knitted my brows. “How so?”

“I know you have thought of it, Amelia. The reason why Niveria fell. It was no mere luck. Our enemy has something, someone. That entity, rather than the war itself, is what we should be preparing for.”

I had thought of it before. It was one of those possibilities.

“You mean a Hero on the side of those who invaded Niveria? I had thought about it, sure. I mean, if we humans were given the gift of Heroes, why would our enemies, who on their own right is a civilization of their own, not have a similar gift or technology?”

Lara breathed a sigh of relief. “I knew you would understand.”

“However, that has no relation to Liz’s attempt, right?”

Lara frowned. She stood stock-still for a moment before rushing to my direction. My hands held by Lara, I stared at her concerned face.

“It has, Amelia. By miles. We should not keep Liz any longer.”

“Why?” I expressed confusion. Even if Liz took part and managed to bridge a connection with Libet, there is no meaning if Liz was sanctioned. Therefore, Liz was of no longer use to Libet.

“Have you ever thought what Liz is, Amelia? Or where she truly came from?”

I shook my head as Liz tightened her grip on my hands. “Other than being the daughter of Anthony Barques, no.”

“Then tell me, Amelia, who is Liz’s mother?

“…” I could give no answer. I merely shook my head in response.

“See? Keeping her is like keeping a wolf in a sheep’s pen.”

“I see your point, but Liz has never acted out of her ordinary routine during the time she lived as a Queen. Or at least I heard.”

“I-!” Lara’s lips trembled. Her lips curved into a smile. Then her face contorted. She was visibly conflicted until she bit her lips and released my hands. “Fine. Amelia, you do what you have to do. However, promise me. Dive deeper into Academia. Learn with Meiko. Make it so that Brent doesn’t have to fall.”

Lara turned around and walked away. Before she reached for the knob, I asked, “What do you mean? What do you mean Brent’s fall?”

My chest was filled with uncertainty, confusion. My mind was bogged down by questions of how Lara came up with that conclusion.

“Amelia, remember this well. Academia is the last bastion for any creature in this world. Learn its secrets. There is a reason why there is a statue of Babel within its first few levels. There is a reason why Academia was discovered as a city underneath a dome of lava. It’s a structure beyond what even Academia thinks it is.”

Lara turned the knob and left.

“But you did not answer my question…”

I was left standing, contemplating what Lara said. First and foremost, I found her doubtful. If she knew something more than the Royals or the True Scholars of Academia, then that would have meant she had an authority far greater than anyone else in Academia.

“Lady Lara is weird…”

Nevertheless, despite her refusal to accept the outcome of the event, Lara remained silent. She took Elaine with her and visited the Tribe along with Kanna and Erina.

On the other hand, before I left with Evelyn, I met with Clarissa.

“I’m sorry dear sister. I have to leave. However, please do trust that I will attend the wedding, even if I have to ride a wyvern just to do so.”

Clarissa shook her head. She held my hand and faced me with a bright smile. “Sister… sister… It feels somewhat foreign to me. But I’m glad. I’m very very glad to see you again.”

Tears rolled down her cheeks. Her green irises reminded me of Maxwell.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be! It was my fault. I was powerless and yet you came for me. You and Kanna saved me. I cannot express my gratitude. I cannot express how glad that you’ll be my sister. I cannot ask for more.”

I felt conflicted. I could not help but express a wry smile.

“I only did what is must.”

Clarissa shook her head vigorously. “No! I don’t think there is any other Royal that will come and rescue another with their life on the line!”

“Pardon but, I think Max will do the same thing.”

“Ah… You’re right. I think Brother will but…” Clarissa stared at me for a few seconds. “But I think Brother will only do that for you. Brother will… risk his life for you.”

Clarissa suddenly withdrew her hands from mine and bowed. “I’m sorry, Sister. It has been on my mind before coming here. I was thinking that I and your brother’s marriage is… getting in the way between you and Brother. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.”

I rushed to Clarissa and propped her up. “Don’t be, Clarissa.” With a smile, I said, “This marriage. Your brother and I agreed to this. It was us who made this possible. So, don’t worry. You are not getting in our way. Besides, Max and I are good friends.”

“But…”

“Please, Clarissa. Right now, Argent needs someone at his side. From here on, he has to shoulder more responsibility as the next King. Him alone is… something I cannot imagine. Brother needs someone. And you, Clarissa, fits perfectly at his side. You’ve known each other before. Although not as much as Max and I have known each other, I believe you two will get along.”

I squeezed Clarissa’s shoulder and expressed a smile. “So take your time, Clarissa. Get to know my Brother. Cover what he lacks. Help him stand up as the next King of Laurel.”

“Sister…” Clarissa then embraced me. Without qualms, I returned the embrace.

“There, there, little sister.”

As it was, Clarissa and I were in good terms. However, rather than Clarissa, what I was worried about was Argent.

“I still don’t have a response,” was what Argent said. “Give me more time to sort it out.”

“What… do you mean? Haven’t I given you enough time?” I asked.

“My sister became different. She also revealed a truth she was hiding from all of us. Now she returns with another Hero in tow. How am I supposed to respond to that? Besides, my head is full by just thinking about the extent of Liz’s connection with Libet. What information got out? What are the things we developed that have arrived on Libet? To what extent—”

“Stop dodging the question, Argent. Answer me.”

“Amelia… I…” Argent looked at me with concern. “I really don’t know what to think of you. But seeing as you are, you are still the sister I know… but different. Something about you has changed. It’s not about you losing your humanity but… you seem different. How to say this… you are more… alarmed? Anxious?”

“Because I am.” I frowned. “I don’t have much time, Argent.”

Argent knitted his brows. “What do you mean by time? Is there another thing I am supposed to know that you have yet to say> If so, speak now.”

I took a deep breath and nodded. “That is none of your concern. But to achieve what I’m aiming for, I need you to help Mother in suppressing Father’s willful decisions. I need you both to support me. I need you two to help Father realize that I can hold my own ground.”

“I cannot help you if you won’t tell me what’s going on, Amelia.”

“Brother! Please! Just help Mother suppress Father. That is all I need for now. Everything else… I’ll work it out on my own somehow?”

“So you don’t have any plans? Nothing laid out?”

“Because I can’t. It’s not a situation that I can plan in advance. Even if I could… I don’t think it would be enough. At best…”

“At best what?”

I shook my head and banished the thought. “No. Nothing. It doesn’t matter. Planning ahead is not really the solution. I don’t have any valid options. Only possibilities that I can hope for. But the possibility is… slim at best. Nevertheless, I must do what is must. And for that, I need Father to not interfere with my actions.”

“You know Father won’t let this slide even if we convince him for a moment.”

I nodded. “I know. I know. At least, for two months. Help me.” I took a deep bow and said, “This will be the last favor that I will ask you, Brother. So, please.”

“…”

The clock ticked. I remained in a bowing position.

“Two months.”

“Yes, two months.”

“Fine, I’ll do it. However, after two months, you have to show your face to me and tell me the truth behind all this charade.”

I propped myself up and smiled. “Thank you.”

“That’s not the response I wanted to hear.”

“Still, thank you.”

Afterward, I told Argent that I would leave immediately. I was sure I would incur Father’s ire but I cannot waste any more time in Laurel. I needed to help Mola and the others.

No matter, it has been long. I wonder how Mola will treat me for vanishing for a while. Just imagining the scene brought a smile to my face. “I hope Liscia is doing fine too.”

 


 

Down the hallway, heavy footstep echoed. Following closely behind were voices of concern.

“Your Highness Mark, please, stop this. This decision was made between the Royals!”

Mark strode towards Amelia’s chamber, unmindful of his servants’ qualms.

“Your Highness!”

Mark then stopped. He turned to his side and faced a door.

“Let me in.”

The servants standing beside the door expressed concern. “Your Highness. It is too early for Her Highness Amelia to be awake. Please wait—”

“Amelia!” Mark shouted. “Come out of here! You need to explain everything to me!”

“Your Highness! Please! This instant, leave! Her Highness requires her rest!”

“Amelia!” Mark forced his way and pushed the servants aside. He grabbed the knob of the door and turned it. “We need to talk!”

As soon as Mark opened the door, he went straight to Amelia’s bed. He grabbed the sheets from the side and threw it. “Amelia!”

“Your Highness!” The servants rushed in and witnessed the same spectacle as Mark. The bed, its sheets thrown aside, was empty. Amelia was nowhere to be found.

“Where is she?!”

5