Chapter 94: What Matters Not 2
190 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m sorry, Veight,” Martha said

“It’s fine. It’s no one’s fault but his.”

Frustrated though he was, Veight understood the reality of the request. There was proper compensation. There were proper warnings and possible outcomes. However, just like most people would, they needed someone or something to blame—all in order quell one’s unstable emotions.

However, Veight knew Albert’s skills very well. For so long they have been adventurers, they knew due caution was crucial—and Albert was fully aware of it. So to say, it was unlikely for Albert to trip and lose his life. Unlikely. It was what Veight believed. It was what Veight wanted to believe.

In the fourth month that Albert has left, a month after he was presumed dead, the news of Laurel’s movement towards Alabaster spread. Many were curious. Some were overjoyed. Some thought Laurel intended to pioneer the lands. Some thought they’d reduce the beasts coming from Alabaster. However, none knew the what real reason was. Of course, among those was Veight.

Veight was plagued with the thought of how Albert died, however, despite coming to Aves, he gained nothing. Albert was missing. That was all the guild knew.

“Damn!” Veight struck the counter, his mug rattled along.

“Oi, keep it down. You’re not the only one around,” said the bartender.

Veight could not get it out of his head. It was unlikely for him to care. Even the death of his parents did not give him a deep sense of remorse.

“Hey, what are you even sulking at?” asked the bartender out of curiosity.

“It’s none of your business.”

“Heh, if you want to keep those bottled up, then feel free to do so. But don’t release those emotions while you’re here in my tavern.” The bartender turned around and filled another mug with ale. “But let me guess, new face, you came here for Alabaster, didn’t you?”

 

Veight lifted his sight, irked.

“You’re face says otherwise.”

“How did you know?”

“It’s pretty obvious if you’d ask me.” The bartender passed the mug of ale to a waitress and returned to Veight. “Since the past two weeks, many faces I’m not accustomed to started visiting my tavern. But lo and behold, they came here to sulk and drink their problems away.”

“And?”

“And guess what, they mostly came from different towns and villages. However, most were either mothers or siblings of the deceased adventurers.”

Veight clicked his tongue.

“Can’t blame you though. Many were lost when the request popped up in every guild possible.”

“It’s the fault of the higher-ups.”

“Hmmm.” The bartender scratched his chin. “Maybe, maybe not. But if that’s what you wanted to believe, then so be it.”

Veight frowned. “They could have at least allowed adventurers to venture deep into Alabaster. Why did they have to implement a ban? If they hadn’t, those related to the missing adventurers could have searched for them.”

“Your reason is valid.”

 

“See?”

“But since many were lost during the scouting period, wouldn’t it be logical to stop people from coming?”

Again, Veight clicked his tongue. “Still.”

The bartender sighed. “If you really wanted to enter the depths of Alabaster, why not associate yourself with the Nobles? If you’re lucky, you might find someone who could take you in as a soldier or something.”

Veight’s mouth went agape. “Y-you’re right. There is… that method.”

“It’s only viable for skilled adventurers though, and those who have proper manners when faced with a Noble. If not, you’re in for some deep trouble.”

“I get it.” Veight stood from his seat. “Thanks.”

Veight was already in Aves. Though he knew there were Nobles on the other section of Aves, he did not have the right to enter. And thus, the first place Veight had in mind was the library, though it took him two days to know that the Library was where he needed to go.

No one could teach Veight. He knew no one who was educated with the mannerisms of the Nobles. His final option then was to teach himself, and thus the Library.

After surrendering his adventurer card at the counter, receiving a library pass in return, Veight passed through the first line of shelves, his eyes darting from corner to another.

“Where do I start?”

Veight read the plaques hanging from the ceiling. He moved forward as he thought of which section of the library would contain the book he needed.

 

“It sure is quiet.”

Despite the size of the Library, which spanned about 80 meters long and 50 meters wide, the number of people was few.

“Well, it’s night after all.”

It was nine in the evening. And just as Veight wanted, the traffic within the library was minimal. Fortunately, the library was open all throughout the day. It was never a problem to spend the night within its chambers. However, only a few desired to do so. After all, selected sections within the Library had enough light for reading.

“Got it.” Under the section for etiquette, Veight found a suitable book.  Book in hand, Veight wandered around the Library. Among the sections of the library which were granted with enough light were shadows. “So I really am not alone here, huh.”

Veight’s feet took him to the nearest light. As he came closer, a figure of a girl reading under a ball of light welcomed his sight.

The girl had brown hair, a typical color among Relians. However, her age based on appearance told Veight that the girl was around ten or so—just old enough to be Veight’s child. Out of curiosity, Veight sat on the opposite side of the girl.

“Am I bothering you?” asked Veight in hopes of being polite.

“By speaking with me, yes. By sitting opposite me, no,” the girl said bluntly without batting an eye.

Who is this brat? thought Veight. “Oh, sorry.”

And thus, the night passed in silence.

Every other day, sometimes two, Veight would encounter the girl. And just as he did in the first, he took the seat opposite the girl. However, both sides remained silent, careful not to disturb the other. The silence went on for two weeks until the girl spoke.

“I see you’ve been reading about etiquette, but what for? Aren’t you bored reading that over the past two weeks?” The girl asked with a puzzled expression. “Isn’t it enough to read that in a few days’ time and be done with it?”

 

Veight was surprised. He never showed the girl what kind of book he was reading. “How did you know what I was reading?”

“The cover, of course. I’ve already read those when I was younger.”

Veight knitted his brows. “Younger? But what for?”

“An adventurer trying to learn the mannerisms of Nobles is more of a rare occasion than that of a girl reading them at an early age.”

“…”

The girl sighed. “So? What’s your answer?” the girl asked, nary a hint of excitement. Maybe she was bored and had asked Veight out of the blue.

“It’s a bargain, then. You tell me what you are reading and what for, and I’ll tell mine.”

“Hmm…” The girl closed her book and showed Veight the cover.

‘Chess’

“You’re reading about a board game? At a late hour?” Veight found it unbelievable. He thought understanding the basics of Chess was not worth the read, especially during the night. “Is that what you’re reading about?”

The girl smiled. “For today, yes. Now, it’s time to fulfill the end of your bargain. After all, the reason is obvious why I’m reading about Chess, right?”

Veight was perturbed. It was only for a short time, but the girl had already taken the lead of the conversation. Did the girl expect it? Perhaps, yes. She knew Veight was as adventurer, and maybe she knew that Veight would resort to a bargain, just like what most merchants would. Veight was, from the very start, led on by the girl.

“…”

 

“What? Isn’t it proper manners to fulfill the end of your bargain?” The girl tapped her finger, seemingly imitating the tick of the clock.

Cold sweat ran down Veight’s back. Each tap of her finger seemed shorter and shorter, which further pressured Veight.

Just, who is this girl? Veight’s jaws trembled. No, don’t think about it that much. Just tell what you have to say.

“I… wanted to catch the attention of a Noble.” A tone of defeat.

“Pff!”

The next moment, Veight found the girl holding her stomach and her mouth. Though suppressed, Veight could imagine how much laughter the girl could have released if they were not inside the library.

“What’s funny?” Veight frowned. He waited for the girl to reply, but it took a minute or two before the girl stopped.

“You’re funny.” The girl produced a handkerchief and tapped it against her eyes. “You’ll do great as a comedian.”

“…”

“You know, I could kind of guess what you’re after, but let me tell you one thing.” The girl raised a finger with a smile. “It takes luck or connection to get under a wing of a Noble. Manners aren’t that important since most Nobles already expected commoners and adventurers to lack them. Sure, it may give a good impression, but that’s not a guarantee. What matters most is their skill in the field they were hired for.”

“I know that.”

 

“Hear me. If you rely on that alone, I don’t think you would achieve what you wanted in a few years’ time. After all, Nobles needing the help of an adventurer is rare—not unless the adventurer was popular and renown. And judging by who you are, you aren’t that well-known.”

Veight’s frown twitched. “I may not be well-known, but I have a decent record.”

“Still not enough to be noticed by eccentrics.”

Veight looked down on his book and closed it. He was dragged around by a little girl. He could not help but feel ashamed and hide his face. “Any advice, then?”

“None.”

Veight clicked his tongue.

“Because I’m already granting you that luck.”

Veight’s expression was every bit confused. He then raised his sight only to catch a glimpse of the girl’s smug smile.

“From this day on, Veight, the adventurer, you will follow my orders. If I deem you worthy, I’ll take you under my wing. However, that’s an if. So work hard for it.”

The girl reached out her hand. Although hesitant, Veight extended his hand and shook the girl’s.

A mere coincidence. Neither the girl nor Veight expected that they would meet each other. However, throughout the two weeks that the girl sat opposite of Veight, she collected information.

The main reason was that the girl wanted to protect herself.

Originally, the girl had access to the Royal Library within the palace of Tercel. However, since several Nobles and their heir visit the library as well, it became an uncomfortable place to read. The girl, after all, despised most of the nobility. As a result, she often visited the public library. Her commonplace hair helped her in disguising as an ordinary citizen. However, being a Noble herself, she could not let her guard down. And thus, it came down to the girl investigating Veight.

 

After several trips to and from the library, the girl concluded that Veight was not associated with any Noble—which was both fortunate and unfortunate for the girl. She could have cornered Veight into telling who he worked for if he was associated with anyone.

Then came the girls move, which swiftly took the opportunity to attack and lead—just like the title of the book she presented. In the end, it was an easy prey for the girl. Truth be told, she expected a better retaliation, but Veight knew no better. He was a simple man.

“Your name. Could you at least tell me?” Veight asked.

A smile floated across the girl’s face. “Diane.”

That was when Diane Laurel acquired the pawn named Veight.

2