Chapter 3/Revisions Announcement
288 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Important:

I would like to apologize to all the current readers about this. I have been constantly rereading the released chapters and felt that something was off. I tried to do some edits to improve them but when I read them again, it still didn't feel right. The pacing was terrible and it felt choppy. There was also a lack of description (Show don't tell). I realized that I needed to do some major editing and improving to get this up to standards. I will keep the past few chapters up. Once I finish revising, I will post chapter 4 which will signal that everything has been revised. I'm sorry for stopping releases but I just felt that it needed to be fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for checking out my novel! I will hopefully be back within two to three weeks from now. 

After finishing my less than appetizing cold breakfast, I prepared to set out for the supermarket. I pre-plotted a route to the supermarket by using the smartphone map. It was less of a route and more of a straight line. I looked at the length of the trip. Seemed like I was going for a looonnng walk today.

Back in my room, I threw out all the books in my backpack and put in what I needed for the trip. I was probably never going to need those books again. Hopefully. I would have preferred a military backpack but this works too. At least it was green so it was technically camo. I wonder why Gramps never bought me one. I strapped on my six magazine pouches and placed all my unloaded mags in them. At least he did buy me these. 

I opened the back door and quietly walked into my house’s backyard. A fence surrounded my house so the zombies couldn’t have possibly gotten into the backyard. I unlatched the wooden fence gate that led to the forest. Swishing my head left to right, I looked around outside of the fence. There didn’t seem to be any zombies around.

The orange leaves crunched beneath my feet as I threaded through the forest. Occasionally, a leaf of a varying shade of orange would fall down or the song of a bird would flow through the air. I had probably been walking in this forest for 20 minutes. It felt just like a nice walk through the forest during fall. It felt normal despite the fact that I was maybe in the middle of a zombie apocalypse

It was a good thing that most of the trip was a straight line or I would have gotten lost before long. I didn't know how long it was but it felt forever before the trees became less crowded. As I got nearer to the supermarket, I slowed my pace. That was not because I was tired. I run on a treadmill every day so walking calmly through a forest is no big deal. It was because I was afraid zombies could have wandered into the forest 

At this point, I could see the parking lot. There were some cars and figures standing around. I set my gun down and fished my binoculars out of my backpack. I peered through the binoculars while focusing on the parking lot. I looked at the many figures I saw in there.

They were definitely zombies. Looked somewhat like humans but had blood everywhere and sometimes ripped skin or missing limbs. I hadn’t seen any of them have decaying skin though. Hollywood always depicted them having discolored or falling apart skin. Sweeping my binoculars left to right, I noted the number. Ten of them wandered aimlessly around the parking lot. They shouldn’t be that hard to deal with. I placed my binoculars back into my backpack and stood up with my gun. I breathed in and out. I flipped the safety off on my gun. I lifted it up and aimed through my sight at the closest zombie. Blood dripped from the clawed out left cheek of it. It definitely wasn’t human anymore so I shouldn’t be hesitating. I steadied my breathing and tightened my hold on the grip and handguard. It was not human. I was just putting it out of its misery. It was not human. Let’s see if Hollywood was correct about these zombies. I pulled the trigger. A loud bang echoed in the air. The zombie jerked back as a hole blossomed on its head. It collapsed. The nine other zombies perked their heads up towards my direction. They could definitely hear me. I switched my aim to the second closest zombie which had already started limping towards me. I continued firing and the gunshots continued to echo around me. The first shot missed and hit its shoulder. It jerked back but recovered very fast. The second shot hit the mark. At least I knew I had to hit it in the head to kill it. The eight other zombies moaned and groaned as they walked towards me with their hands reaching out. Even though I wasn’t scared, my heart started to pound for some reason. I swung my gun to the next closest zombie and pulled the trigger.

I slowly walked towards the middle of the parking lot. I looked down at one of the dead zombies. They were like zombies from past Hollywood films. Walked at a normal human pace. It took one shot to the head to kill one. Shooting their bodies doesn't work. I don’t see how the police couldn’t have handled them if it was this easy. The ten zombies did get close to me but I was able to take all of them out by myself. The police definitely had a better arsenal than me. Did they not know that they had to shoot it in the head?  I thought it was a common conception from Hollywood that a zombie had to be shot in the head to kill it. I shook my head. Enough about this, I had to get to the supermarket and get out as soon as possible. For some reason, I was getting uncomfortable staying here for long.

I looked down at my gun as I trotted to the supermarket. I would have switched out my nearly empty magazine at this point but I wanted to conserve ammo. Couldn’t go wasting them when I only have 6 full magazines left and no gun store that I can get to. There was one in the middle of the city but there was no way I was stupid enough to go there.

I stopped a few yards out of the supermarket. Eight zombies banged on the front windows of the supermarket. How much ammo was I going to need to go through just to go on one shopping trip? Jesus. Well, at least they didn’t know how to use the automatic doors. 

As I raised my gun to take them out through the window, I heard moaning and groaning behind me. I swung my head around. I stopped at the sight behind me.  

Oh… so that’s what a zombie horde looks like in real life. This day just gets better and better. At least it won’t get worse than this… hopefully.

4