Ch. 78 – A Lull
631 4 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This time, with the full force of Maven’s divinity and physical body behind the blow, Maven’s gauntlet-clad fist crashed through Lidar’s space barrier like it was made of glass. Now without anything to impede them, Maven’s fist smashed its way into Kurga’s face with all the force of a raging tsunami or exploding volcano.

“Heh,” Kurga’s calm voice drifted through the air, clearly unaffected by the blow.

Unfortunately, the force of Maven’s punch only managed to dissipate powerlessly into the bottomless abyss hidden beneath Kurga’s human veneer - like the surf melts into the sand of the beach. The end result: Maven’s full power punch only caused Kurga to roll back on his feet. Clearly, whatever his body was made of, blunt force was not the way to damage it.

“Tch,” Maven clicked her tongue as she jumped back after quickly coming to terms with her failed attack. She didn’t want to leave herself open for a counterattack by staying where they could reach her.

“The Saintess herself gave me a lovely massage, how lovely.” Kurga said happily as he gently rubbed his cheek where Maven had struck. “You’ve gotta work on that grip strength though, young lady. At this rate, you’ll never be able to work those deep knots out.”

“Enough of your nonsense, I’m not your personal masseuse. I’m the one who’s going to beat you halfway to Sunday.” Maven said coldly, raising her fist threateningly.

“Stop messing around, Kurga.” Lidar said in that robotic voice of his. “Either grab the Seed or give up. The Saintess has already protected her from me, I can’t just snatch her.”

Maven secretly felt a bit of relief to hear the god of space himself certify her barrier. She had used her smattering of experience with the space attribute to strengthen the barrier around Ela, hoping it would prevent another snatch by teleport. Still, Maven reminded herself not to trust anything her enemy says too deeply. No way she would trust such a shady guy wholesale.

“Seed this, seed that… Would the creepy gods care to share with the class?” Maven asked. She was rather tired of their disregard. Might as well try and pump these gods for information while they were here, not the she had any expectations of success.

“You have no need to know.” Lidar said with nary a ripple in his voice, not even bothering to glance in her direction.

“Now, now, Dardar…… Wouldn’t it be fun to tell them a little something? I’d love to know what they’d even do about it.” Kurga said, sounding just like a naughty child that couldn’t wait to prank someone.

“I believe I told you to never call me by that horrific nickname. Ever.” Lidar said as his unflappable exterior finally broke, his brow furrowed in irritation.

“Psshaw,” Kurga said with an irreverent flap of the wrist. “It’s just so much fun to see you behave like a petulant child. How could I resist?”

Realizing Lidar wouldn’t even deign him with a reply after he stood motionlessly for awhile, Kurga turned back to Maven with a grin on his face. “Now let’s talk about your little friend there.”

Pointing in Ela’s direction, his grin only deepened.

“I’m listening.” Maven said hesitantly, making no further move to attack. “Why are you and your goon squad after her?” She had no idea why Kurga would actually be in the sharing mood, but why look a gift horse in the mouth?

“Ah… Why do we need the girl? Simple, really…… She’s a great big bag of gold buried deep in her soul and we want it.” Kurga said while spreading his arms wide.

“Don’t try to cover things up with euphemism… What’s this Seed of Origin?” Maven asked in frustration.

Tapping his chin thoughtfully, Kurga wondered whether he should even bother to answer. Sure, he had playfully said he would…… but he was having second thoughts. He was mischievous, not stupid.

“Hmmm…… Can’t really answer that one, now can I? State secrets and all that.” Kurga said with a shushing motion. “Let’s just say the girl has potential. Potential we’d very much to see bloom. We’re just trying to help. Aren’t we just the best?”

“That’s it?” Maven asked, dumbfounded. “Your goons target Ela, massacre all her friends, and that’s all you have to say? Potential? That you’re helping her?”

“What?” Kurga said impudently, shrugging his shoulders in disregard. “We want nothing more than to see her Seed of Origin bloom into something beautiful.”

“Nothing else to add? Don’t want to actually tell me anything?” Maven prompted, growing frustrated with his flippant attitude.

“Nope,” Kurga said with a smile, before raising his hands. Dark, filthy tendrils of mist began to coil their way across the room. The battle was about to resume.

24