Chapter 2: The Visit
176 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: The Visit

“Ramus Pomifer!”

Every villager shouted out in unison in the face of the incoming tide. Instantaneously, the engravings below them lit up as a pillar of light shot into the sky, swallowing up everyone that it touched.  

The sudden appearance of the pillar of light halted the beast tide in its tracks, revealing a mixture of species in the horde, ranging from lynxes and wolves to bulls and monkeys. Despite their different species, they each had bloodshot eyes as they were raring for battle. 

In spite of their thirst for blood, they remained still in front of this phenomenon, waiting for something to happen. The tower of light split apart, revealing a colossal grey tree in place of the villagers. It was obviously not a youthful tree yet it exuded an overflowing amount of vibrant life energy. It defied common sense. 

Its thick branches extended far and wide, its diamond-shaped leaves seemingly covered up the blue sky. The beasts growled in an attempt to resist the overflowing pressure. The sheer magnitude of the tree would scare away any beast, yet the tide stood their ground. Escape was never in their plans. 

Five pitch-black wolves darted from the horde, flinging themselves toward the tree. A swift energy wave struck out, splitting the wolves in half and spraying the ground with their blood. Make no mistake, this was a battlefield.

Polius came walking out from within the tree with glowing eyes. He was still donned within his battle gear, but now there were a set of horns growing out of his forehead, sprouting from the lines that ran through his face. Rather than simple bone horns, these resembled the ancient branches of the tree from which he came. Following behind him were a swarm of Guardians with the Hunters right behind. 

Without fail, the Guardians moved into their formations as they stood in front of the towering tree, protecting the Hunters behind them. 

Their equipment seemed to have gone through a mythical evolution with the Guardians’ armguards each expanding to reach half the size of a large circular shield. Meanwhile, the Hunters’ short bows had transformed into longbows, albeit ones lacking bowstrings. Both the longbows and armguards were embedded with palm-size orbs containing a wisp of green energy. Two orbs were slotted near the longbow’s grip while an orb was nested within the centre of the armguards. 

Gone were their fur and leather armour, replaced with an armour made of the archaic tree’s bark, etched with engravings of leaves and vines. 

Polius placed himself at the very front of the formation, ready to take on the beasts in front of him. He opened his mouth and a deep, inhuman voice filled with might projected out. “You are unwelcome here, Serpent. Why have you intruded in my people’s home?” 

A faint hiss crawled through the bestial lines as a clear melodic voice responded, “Prove yourself worthy, tree. Only by surviving will your questions be resolved.” 

Right after the voice faded fifteen bulls charged out from the sea of beasts, followed closely by two humanoid figures. While the creatures did not possess hands, their forearms were enlarged and a spike protruded out from their elbows. Their cracked grey skin, hairless bodies, and bloody crimson eyes paired with their lack of a mouth would cause anyone to mistake them for some type of hellspawn.

Anticipating the upcoming attack, the Guardians moved in front of Polius, holding their arms together to create a line of circular shields with their armguards. The fifteen bulls crashed against the Guardians’ shield wall and despite their best effort, the beasts could not penetrate the Guardians’ strong defense. Once the bulls were pushed back, the Guardians opened up their formation and let ten of their number rush forward to bash the beasts. When they swung, they channelled astral energy into the orbs. Vines extended out from the arm guard and stabbed through the bulls’ tough skin, skewering them on the spot. 

As soon as the bulls were dealt with, the two humanoid creatures struck the attacking Guardians — knocking them back to the line of defence. Utilising their vines, the Guardians slowed themselves down by penetrating the ground, allowing their fellow Guardians to catch them safely. Yet even then they couldn't help but cough out green blood from the impact of the attack.  

Not letting the opportunity escape them, the humanoid creatures struck again as the endless sea of beasts, perhaps tired of waiting, charged forth. Seconds before the collision could occur, giant apples dropped from the sky, crashing into the oncoming tide and instantly harvesting tens of lives. As soon as their momentum came to a stop however, the apples melted and released an intense earthy aroma, intoxicating all the beasts around them. Humongous passion flowers bloomed from the crater the apples left behind, swallowing the intoxicated beasts whole, one by one. While this dwindled the sea of beasts, it in no way deterred them as the tide circled around the flower, rushing towards the Guardians.

The Hunters exploited this window of time to charge the longbow’s orb with astral energy, materialising a bowstring. They drew the bow,  causing an arrow of energy to appear. The hunters took aim and released the bowstring, starting their onslaught. Each arrow ripped apart at least five beasts before getting stuck or hitting the ground, slaying hundreds of beasts in one barrage. Three arrows struck against the two humanoid creatures, pushing them far back. However after this attack, the Hunters’ complexions ashened and they were drenched in a cold sweat. A large amount of their astral energy was depleted, and time was needed before they could fire again. 

An intense metallic smell of blood permeated through the battlefield. Though the front lines resembled a spectacle from hell, another wave of beasts struck against the Guardian’s line of defense. While the Guardians withstood their attack, albeit they were pushed back a bit, the beast tide continued their unceasing assault, tramping over the corpses of the fallen as if nothing could deter them from breaking through the Guardians.    

The hunters made use of the small frame of time and recuperated their energy while at the same time, the markings on Polius’ face and body began to glow with viridian lights. In a swift motion Polius lifted both his arms up, and in doing so, unleashed the power that he was channeling. The ground before Polius ruptured as roots shot up across the front lines– penetrating the beasts in their wake. Yet even with half of the beast wave gone, the Guardians could not rest as the two humanoid creatures reappeared. With one swing, they each sent two Guardians flying, opening up a gap in the Guardian’s formation. 

Polius formed two fists and roots wrapped around the grey creatures– crushing the humanoid monsters in their grasp. But the grey fiends did not relent, struggling to escape roots’ grip. Despite the humanoid monster’s best effort, the roots held tightly without any sign of ripping apart. While these turns of events seemed positive for Igysil, it was only a matter of time before the Guardians would fall. The constant aggression of the beast tide had slowly worn them down, bit by bit. 

Out of nowhere, ten Guardians were struck and blasted far away– their fates unknown. In their place stood a 12 feet 1365 cm tall humanoid creature. Similar to the other two monsters, this creature didn’t possess a mouth, but with its pulsating grey skin riddled with lumps and murderous blood-red eyes, the creature was the incarnation of hell itself. Where hands should be were instead heavy, jagged boulders covered with prominent protruding spikes. Countless surgical marks could be found all over the creature, proving that it was an abomination not made from nature but from some depraved mind. After an attack from this monstrosity, the Guardians would require a miracle to still be alive.

The vile monster seemed to have appeared out of thin air, there was no sign of it before but now it stood blocking the path of Igysil’s survival. Using its entire body, the creature swung its arms and struck at the Guardians, emitting a thunderous sound. Five Guardians were blown away, spraying blood as they flew through the air. In two moves, the creature had created a gigantic gap in the Guardian’s formation. 

The situation seemed bleak for Igysil when Theo abruptly exited the colossal tree. He was still draped in his ordinary blue robe with the hood resting on his back, and still carrying his wooden staff. Unlike the other warriors, Theo did not receive any change to his appearance or temperament. Despite his sudden appearance, none of the warriors or Polius turned their head around to look at him. 

“Outsider, do not interfere. You are unnecessary.” Polius spoke out. 

Theo smiled and gave a small nod in response. Despite the fact that the fallen Guardians were at his feet, Theo did not make a move — complying with Polius’ command. 

A burst of floral aroma exploded into the battlefront, completely eliminating its prior metallic stench. The sudden change momentarily froze the gigantic creature in its place as well as all the other creatures upfront. 

Polius stretched out his hands, gathering the astral energy in his fingertips. He then slammed his two palms together, interlocking his fingers and forcing the astral energy to combine together between his two hands. Polius pulled his hands apart, allowing a green bead to drop onto the ground. The ground absorbed the bead in its entirety, and a swift second later a fracture appeared in the dirt beneath Polius — swallowing him whole. He seemed to have completely disappeared from the battle. But then something began to sprout from within the cracks he had vanished into. Multiple vines emerged from the gap, shooting up and twisting together, morphing into a humanoid shape equal in height with the monstrosity that was the unknown creature.

All of a sudden another barrage of arrows struck the beast horde, slashing down their numbers once more. However, in doing so, the Hunters’ complexion worsened, with fifteen Hunters immediately collapsing to the ground. 

The sudden attack caused the beasts to regain their wits, and the fiendish grey creature dragged its heavy body towards the vine construct. It slugged its jagged boulders toward the strange plant yet before it could make contact, the vines split apart, dodging the attack. With not a moment to rest, the monster attempted to strike again. Despite missing before, the creature used the momentum to spin and unleash another attack against the vine, but at a faster pace. 

Nonetheless, its effort was futile as the vines dodged it once more. This plant organism seemed to be a perfect counter to the grey monster. However, the grey abomination did not relent and kept on trying to land a strike. Each swing was faster than the last. Its momentum did not slow down but rather kept on building up. Then without warning, the vines split apart, wrapping around the monster. Constraining it and halting its momentum completely. Struggling as it might, the vile monster could not break free. Regardless of the creature’s large size, it could not escape the fate that had befallen its fellow grey monsters. 

Seeing the monsters ensnared, the beast tide retreated — leaving behind the countless corpses that littered the battlefield. Even though the beast tide was now gone, the warriors did not let their guard down. The battle was yet to be over.    

A Guardian opened his mouth, “Hmph!”

Astral energy seeped out of the colossal tree, carrying with it a scent of apples. The energy quickly spread and encompassed the surrounding area. 

“What’s wrong, Tree? Why so mad?” The melodic voice returned, yet the source of the voice was nowhere to be found.

“Did you not think I would not notice your poisonous gas?” 

“It was merely a small gift.” 

The towering tree glowed with a strong verdant light, its leaves quivering and the ground it stood upon shaking. 

“Now, now. Your village survived the trial, so a reward is a must. Or would you rather we continue until one of us perishes?” 

“Speak.” The tree’s glow dissipated as the battlefield came to a rest.

“Why the rush?” Inquired the Serpent.

“Do not waste my time any longer. Tell me now or be gone.”

“Your existence is quite a burden isn’t it, Astral Spirit? I’ve come to deliver a magnificent present.”

“A present? Do not speak gibberish.”

“You should be proud, Tree! Your village remained when others have vanished,” the Serpent’s harmonious laugh rang out. “Your village wasn't the first one we visited today.” 

The dust from the beast tide’s retreat finally settled, revealing a clear path of destruction that had torn through the forest like a maniac with a knife. The fate of the nearby villages was left unknown. 

“Since you don't have a sense of humour, I’ll present to you your much awaited gift, Tree.”

A blinding light flashed out from one side of the forest as a stream of purple haze flew toward the village. The archaic tree remained unfazed at this sudden change. When the haze arrived in front of the tree, it started to gather and solidify — molding into a spherical orb. 

“Under the inconspicuous torches that illuminated the sky, he was born. Raised through trials of truth and lies, he will rise. Facing sacrifices and impossible ordeals, he will falter. Under no means shall he die. Love will be fleeting and pain shall be swift. He is the forthcoming spark waiting to set ablaze this barren world.”

The gigantic leaves rattled as the ground shook and the wind blew. “How could this be?” The deep voice from the Guardian trembled. 

In front of the tree the orb unravelled, unveiling a baby within it. The baby was surrounded by a paper thin aura as it floated mid-air before the gigantic tree. In comparison to the gargantuan tree, the baby was only a particle of sand yet its existence had the giant entity shaken to its core. 

“The prophecy and the child have been received. My role here is now over, but one day when he seeks for me, let him know about the Serpent of White.”

The baby gently fell into the arms of a Guardian. It’s soft clear skin seemed like the clouds far up in the sky, and its cuteness would’ve made the Guardian’s heart tremble if he had one.

“Ah yes, I almost forgot.” The mysterious voice came slithering back, ringing out with a hiss. A snap of a second later, the three humanoid monsters were instantly reduced into grey puddles. 

The Guardian turned around and walked towards Theo while carrying the peculiar baby, “They can barely hold on any longer. I’ll leave this to you, Outsider.”

Without any hesitation, the Guardian passed the baby to Theo before every Hunter and Guardian collapsed to the ground. Polius’ body rose up from beneath the soil, but even he was unconscious. The enormous tree faded away into modes of light, revealing the remaining missing villagers, standing but weakened.            

Theo held up his staff while carrying the baby on one arm, “Phrastus!”

A bright light shone from the tip of the staff as a stream of energy breezed through the fainted warriors. The energy soothed their minds and souls as if they were kissed by the Fae of Medicine.  

“Acolytes!” Theo shouted.

Thirty youths came running out from the crowd, “Yes, teacher!” They moved towards the valiant warriors, feeding them the restoration pellets while bandaging their wounds. 

The battle was finally over.  

Credit: KuroYousei (Editor/Proofreader)

10