You’ll Have to Duel Me For It
326 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Harry came to Diagon Alley near the end of May, with Hermione and Ron, the three of them were bombarded by people the entire time. Even in the shops, they weren't able to get away or purchase their things without several people coming up to touch Harry, or talk over each other. They wanted to say thank you, ask him out, offer him gifts, or ask him to come for dinner. By the end of it, Harry was thrown into a panic attack and Ron had to side-along him back to Grimmauld place.

He was not looking forward to a repeat performance. He could already feel his breath become shallow and a sweat break out as they reached the entrance to Diagon.

Now, paired with two well known Slytherins, Harry is surprised to see people at a loss for how to respond. Mostly, the three of them get stared at as they walk to Gringotts. He saw a few cameras click pictures, and a crowd has formed to follow them, but no one got too close.

Halfway to their destination, a small girl approached. She didnt say anything, only skipped over and handed Harry a chocolate then skipped away. Having seen that he allowed this, the crowd grew bold. They circled around the trio and started to call out to Harry, shouting requests, declaring love, and even offering a couple of addresses. His body grew tense as he felt people closing in, he could see them starting to push each other out of the way, trying to get close enough to touch him.

He jumped when Draco soundlessly grabbed his wrist and guided Harry, to walk behind him. Pansy took up the spot behind Harry and they walked in a line instead of side by side. It's weird to walk single file, but the people in front part quickly when they are faced with Draco Malfoy. Harry's not sure if that's from fear or genuine dislike, but right now he doesn't care, he's happy to have the crowd held off. Behind him Pansy threw a casual jinx at anyone who got too close to her, and eventually, the crowd grants them a wide berth.

Harry spent the rest of the walk putting up a valiant effort to ignore the curve of Draco's ass. He failed.

When arrived at Gringotts the goblins were not pleased to see him. Not that goblins ever seem pleased, but with Harry, they were pointedly angry. He's made to sign a magically binding contract at the first station. It states that he will not steal any property, he will only enter his own vault, and he will not release any animals being held in the building. Finally, he's given his key and sent on his way to the Potter vault.

Once the goblins are gone and it's just the three of them, Pansy said, "Care to shed any light on what that contract was all about?"

Harry shrugged, "I um… freed a dragon. Really it wasn't me, I just helped." Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Draco smile.

"And the rest of it, Potter?" Pansy asked. "No stealing, no entering anyone else's vault."

"Oh, yeah. I was only an accomplice for that too," Harry replied, opened the door to his vault and walked in.

He walked to the back of the vault and picked up the Hawthorne wand off a shelf. The wand felt familiar in his hand, yet completely foreign at the same time. He turned around to find Draco watching him intently from the doorway.

Harry gave a wry smile and said, "You'll have to duel me for it." He lifted the wand, pointed it at Draco, and said, "Any requests?"

Draco held his right hand out to Pansy who placed her wand in his. "Sorry Potter," Draco said, "no games this time." With that, he shot out an expelliarmus and caught the wand in his left hand before it could soar past him. Draco dropped Pansy's wand into her waiting hand and stared down at his own. He took a shaky breath before sliding it into his robe. When Draco looked back to Harry he said, "Thank you, again."

Harry had spent a lot of time thinking over the moment that wand became his. Harry knew he hadn't given it willingly but part of him suspected that Draco didn't regret it after everything. So, he took a chance and said, "Thanks for letting me borrow it."

They looked at each other for a moment, and Harry felt his breathing pick up again.

The moment they walked out of Gringotts Harry was attacked with a hug. He didn’t panic though, because he immediately recognized the blonde hair in his face as Luna Lovegood.

"Harry, how are you?" she whispered the question into his ear.

“I’m good Luna,” he said with a genuine smile.

Luna pulled off of Harry and turned to Draco with a bright smile, said hi to him, and pulled him into an embrace. Harry gawked at the pair, trying to piece together how this was possible.

“Hello Luna,” Draco said with fondness.

"You look much healthier,” Luna said, touching his cheek as the tips of his ears turned pink. “Would you like a radish?” She reached into her bag and pulled out a string of radishes.

“Yes, please,” Draco took one and tugged it off the string.

Luna turned to Pansy and said, “Would you like a hug Pans? Or a radish?”

"No thank you, Lovegood. How are you?" Pansy asked.

"I'm great! It’s easy to be happy when you have plans, and I have several," she said and turned to Draco. “Draco, Neville and I are going to Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes to say hi to Ginny. We will be there in an hour. You should stop by, can you?”

“Yes, of course. I will see you there.”

Luna smiled brightly, reached forward and squeezed Draco’s hand. After letting go she turned back to Harry and said, "You must go to the emporium on the 14th," she said, buzzing with excitement. "They will have Merlin Falcons for sale!"

“Er… ok? I’m not really sure I will have time, but I will try.”

Luna furrowed her brow, "Oh Harry,” she said, her voice full of pity. “You should see them. A Merlin falcon could help you a lot, I think.”

Harry sighed and offered a small smile, “I will try.”

She looked at him for a moment, searching his face, “You have too many wrackspurts, Harry. You are going to need a bit of help.” Then she turned to Draco, “Draco will you take him before school, please? I won’t have time to do it because I’m working with Professor Loire.”

“Yes, I will take him,” Draco said, glancing briefly at Harry.

“Thank you,” Luna said, “I will see you at the Weasley shop.”

The three of them watched her skip away until she was lost in the crowd. Harry broke the silence.

"What the hell just happened?” Harry asked no one in particular.

Pansy and Draco stared at him.

“You call her Luna now?”

"I-" Draco's brows drew together, his eyes clouded over and he looked at the spot where Luna had been standing. "We helped each other through a difficult time at the Manor," he said.

"Oh, right," Harry said, he hadn't been prepared for that. His forehead creased as he tried to understand. How could her time at the Manor have brought them closer? She was held in the dungeons. “How?” He asked, trying to pitch his voice so it didn’t sound like an accusation.

"I used to visit with her and bring her things I thought would help. Books, paint with canvas, apples. Things like that," Draco said. He took a deep breath, "At some point she asked me to call her by her given name so I did. Honestly, I haven't denied any of her requests since that day. Even though some of them are a bit…." He trailed off which made Harry laugh.

"Yeah, I noticed that. Are we actually going to Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes?"

“Yes, obviously,” Draco said. “You think Luna will forget that she asked me?”

Pansy shot a tripping jinx at two boys who were getting too close to Harry. “We are going to that awful shop, but first we should go get some food. Will you get us a private room at the Leaky, Potter?”

“How would I-” Harry replied, and then said, “What?” He was starting to feel like confusion was his new state of being.

Draco and Pansy exchanged a look and then Pansy said, “Come on Chosen one, I’m hungry.”

After Pansy handled the waitress at the Leaky Cauldron, motioning to Harry and saying the word savior too many times, the three of them were sat in a private room and fed fish and chips with butterbeer.

Harry ate faster than both of them, which was no surprise. Harry ate faster than anyone who didn’t grow up with six siblings because he didn’t always have access to food. He excused himself for the loo. Headed back to the table he could hear the two of them talking.

"I don't know why you think you would get a say in that matter," Draco said in clipped tones.

"You know it's a bad idea. I can give you five reasons off the top of my head right now," she said darkly.

"That doesn't make this any of your business Pansy,” Draco replied, just as angry.

Harry peeked into the room and could see as Pansy unfolded her arms and began to tick things off on her fingers.

"Your parents, the Press, Hogwarts, The Wizarding World at large-" she was cut off when Draco pushed her hands apart.

"Pansy!" Draco gave her a withering stare.

"Have you no sense of self-preservation left Draco? You are a Slytherin!" She said, balling her hands into fists at her side.

Harry stepped in. “Hi,” he said awkwardly, his hands in his pockets.

They both looked up at him and then at each other.

Harry cleared his throat, “Are you ready to head out?”

“Yes Potter,” Draco said, standing and dusting off his robes. “Into the lion’s den we go.”

5