On Your Feet Potter
275 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the 1st of October when Harry finally made it to DADA on time. Harry had coerced Pansy into walking with him with the argument that she would be offering him protection instead of the other way around. Pansy didn't have to do more than glare at the students who tried to approach Harry, and they would turn around or stop a few feet away. The two of them even managed to get there a few minutes early.

"Mr. Potter," Professor Loire said, her sweet voice carrying easily through from the back of the classroom. "I'm pleased to see you are not late."

Harry gave a small bow and said, "I live to serve." 

She walked towards him, "Yes, I've heard that about you. Though, lately, I've heard you live to serve a handful of people, rather than the entire wizarding world."

"Yeah, I'm trying to rebrand," he replied with a smirk. 

"I think I can help you with that, actually," she replied. 

Harry felt confused, he'd thought they were just bantering, but her tone indicated something more serious. He watched as she pulled a piece of parchment from her robes and handed it to him. 

"Are you familiar with all of these?" she asked. 

Harry took the list and read it over, then looked back to her, "Yes," he answered, cautiously. The list wasn't a friendly one and he had no idea what she was planning. 

"Good, go line up" she said, with a gleam of mischief in her eye, she took the list back and pocketed it. The rest of the students filed into class and they all stood against the back wall waiting to get paired off. Professor Loire stood in the middle of the room on a large mat, facing the students. 

"I want four barrier spells put up around this mat," Loire said, pointing to the sides of the mat, "It needs to be strong enough that an opponent can fall into it and not break through. Which of you can cast and hold a barrier spell of that strength?" 

Hermione, Pansy, and Draco all raised their hands. The Professor pointed to both girls and directed them to the right side and the back side. 

Loire turned to Draco and looked him over for a long moment, "You would be the best choice, your defensive work has been top level so far, but I'm afraid you will have to sit this one out. It's not that I don't trust you, but this exercise might make it difficult for you to stay impartial."

At those words, Harry's stomach took on a nauseated quality. He still wasn't sure what was going on, but he didn't like the idea of Draco being compromised. 

Professor Loire instructed Ernie Macmillan and Terry Boot to create barriers for the other two sides. Then she conjured a row of chairs for the remaining students to sit down. "Here is the assignment, you will observe this duel, discuss at the end of class, and write a paper with your critique, which will be due tomorrow morning. Please pay attention, because you won't be able to review this as you do with the duels in your textbook." 

Loire was standing in the middle of the mat, she pulled her wand out and began to pace. "Just so we are clear, there will be no interference from anyone unless I lose consciousness. Also, I'm not going to monologue for 20 minutes to give you time to prepare." She looked at Harry, "On your feet, Potter."

Harry stood immediately, he'd finally figured out that she meant to duel him when she said the word 'monologue' and he was pleased. He hadn't been allowed to participate until today, and he was eager to fight someone with skill. 

Harry pulled his wand and squared his shoulders. He then placed his right foot behind him, lowered his center of gravity for balance and looked across the mat at her. 

At first they both threw something easy, a tripping jinx, a stupefy , things to gauge the others reaction time. Neither of them struck. 

Then she bore down on him. 

Harry threw up three Protego's against her onslaught of spells. Finally one of the protective shields stuck and his breathing started up again. He cast a Flipendo , which she dodged. She shot out Confringo which flew so far away from him that he was momentarily confused. It hit the barrier Hermione held and burst against it. The force crashed into his back and Harry hit the ground. He immediately cast a Protego, deflecting her next curse as she advanced. In the brief moment she hesitated he dropped the shield and cast Flipendo again.

This one struck her solar plexus. 

Loire's body flew back and hit the barrier that Terry Boot was holding and the shimmering wall of magic vibrated from her impact. Before her body fully hit the ground she cast Fumos , and dark smoke filled Harry's field of vision. He was breathing hard by this point and dropped to the ground to inhale as little smoke as possible. 

He tried to listen for a sign of her but his ears were full of the sound his heart was making as it beat thunderously in his chest. 

He crouched down with one hand on the ground and the other holding his wand out. When the smoke disappeared like it was snapped out of existence they both cast at the same time. 

"Fulgari 

"Petrificus Totalus 

Harry was wrapped up from neck to ankle in luminous rope, unable to move anything except his neck, which he turned to watch Loire hit the floor beside him, frozen in place. 

The barriers dropped and the students rushed in. Harry watched as Draco stood over his professor. "Does this count as unconscious?" he asked in that pure blood drawl. 

Hermione gave him a disapproving look and cast Finite at Loire and Harry in quick succession. 

Draco put his hand out to help up Professor Loire and Ron did the same for Harry. They turned to each other and shook hands, then she instructed the class to pair up and begin their discussions. 

"Come with me Mr. Potter."

Harry followed her over to the giant desk at the front of the classroom and sat down in the chair across from her. "Thank you," he said. 

"For?" 

"For not hitting me directly with that Confringo," he answered, I'd probably be in the hospital wing right now."

She gave him a small smile, "You're correct, and you're welcome."

"So," he ran a hand across the back of his neck, "I get the feeling there was more to this than a break from the normal class activity."

"There was, you're very perceptive," she replied, her mocking tone cutting through Harry's thoughts. 

He cast a half hearted glare at her and said, "Now I know you're taking the piss."

Loire chuckled, "In all seriousness, Mr. Potter, I want you to start student teaching with me." 

Harry sat dumbfounded for several minutes, just staring at her. "Er-" he finally managed. 

She opened a drawer and pulled out several pieces of parchment and placed them before Harry. "These are letters from all of the surviving members of the DA." 

Harry started to look through them as she continued, "You have a lot of good references there, it's clear you enjoy teaching. Not to mention the improvements you've helped the students in this class make over just the last month."

Harry looked up at her, "You think I should be a DADA teacher?" 

"I don't think you should make any decisions right now. I do think that you have no need to take this class and we should put your talents for teaching to good use while you're here."

"I- ok," he said, his words soft and hesitant. 

"Of course, you will need to continue to find a way to be consistently on time," Loire said with a smirk. 

Harry laughed, "Can I keep these?" he asked, holding up the letters. 

"Of course, I have copies."

Harry talked to Hermione and Ron about the offer all through dinner. He found himself getting hesitantly excited about the idea. That night Harry laid in bed with his head on Draco's chest while Draco and Pansy read the letters out loud to each other. When Harry fell asleep it was to the pleasant sound of Draco's voice in his ear. 

7