Fight with Fiendfyre
231 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Harry and Draco walked through the door to the Headmistress' office to see McGonagall standing stiffly behind her desk.

Umbridge was pointing a finger at her and shouting, "You were trying to destroy the evidence!" Harry could see that the cut on her face was gone without a trace. McGonagall must have healed it upon arrival.

"You were in need of a healing spell for your tiny cut! You're lucky I was here and willing to offer it!" McGonagall spat the words at Umbridge. Harry remembered when his Headmistress had told him to keep his temper with Umbridge in 5th year, and how both of them had failed miserably. The woman just brought out the worst in people.

"Ms. Umbridge," Draco began, "I'm very sorry, it was an accident."

Delores Umbridge spun around at Draco's voice, "An accident?!" she cried. Her bulbous eyes looked near to popping, "You think I don't know wandless magic when I see it? You did this on purpose!" She turned back to McGonagall, "You expel him this instant or I will have you removed from this school!"

McGonagall's voice was low and steady when she replied, "Under no circumstances will I allow you to abuse this accident in a fashion that lands one of my top students in Azkaban." She leaned forward on the desk towards the other woman, "If you attempt to force me out of Hogwarts, you'd better bring the entire Auror force with you, Delores."

Umbridge shrank back ever so slightly, then she replied in a high pitched screech, "Working here so long has addled your brain! I'm going to the ministry to report this to sane people! I will have someone come here and remove that boy!" She stormed over to the fireplace and disappeared in a burst of flame.

The office was silent.

"Fuck," Draco said, "fuck, I'm going to Azkaban." His body started to shake, "After everything that's happened, that awful woman is-" he started to sink to the floor. 

Harry grabbed him, wrapping his boyfriend into a strong hug before he went down. He looked over Draco's shoulder at McGonagall who motioned him forward. Supporting the blonde's trembling body, Harry walked them both over to the chairs in front of her desk. He sat Draco down and then sat himself, still holding his hand.

"Mr. Malfoy," McGonagall's voice was like a clear bell in the suffocating silence. She reached into the top drawer of her desk. "Have a biscuit," she said, sliding over a small plate of them. Harry would have laughed if he weren't so terrified. Instead he was busy trying to figure out how to get Draco out of the country.

Draco's shaky hand reached for the biscuits. He took one and glanced up at her.

"You will not be going anywhere," McGonagall said. "You still have several months of school to finish before I consider letting you leave this castle for good."

The office door opened. Professor Loire stepped inside, she was looking down at her hands which held a piece of glass. "Minerva, have you seen," she looked up before her sentence finished. "Oh Mr. Potter, I was worried. Why is there glass all over my classroom?"

"I trust that all of the students are back safely from Hogsmeade?" McGonagall said.

Loire looked up at her, a line formed between her red eyebrows. She walked over to them, "Yes of course," she replied absently. When she circled the desk to stand by McGonagall her eyes were on Draco. "What's happened?"

After Harry and McGonagall replayed the events of Umbridge's visit the office took on another uncomfortable silence.

Professor Loire was staring at the fireplace when Harry said, "I can leave with him. We can just leave."

"No." The answer came from both women.

Draco squeezed Harry's hand. When Harry looked at him, the boys eyes were clouded with fear. They both attempted to give weak but supportive smile to each other.

"Minerva, you must know someone in the ministry," Loire said, turning back towards the group.

"I know many people. None of them have taken her down as of yet. I don't know what's holding them back."

"Could we use me?" Harry offered. "I could make a statement, try to convince them. I am Harry Potter, after all."

"She's accusing both of you," McGonagall said dismissively, "and you have done wandless magic before. I don't think that will work."

Loire pressed the palm of her hand to her temple, closing her eyes, "There has to be someone. Someone at the ministry who is worse than her, who can beat her, throw a bigger tantrum. Someone who everyone fears more than her." She looked to McGonagall, "You've been around for nearly a hundred years Minerva, you must know someone who would be able to fight her on this. We have to fight fire with fire."

Harry scoffed, "In this case you would need to fight with fiendfyre. She's a monster."

The Headmistress looked at Harry for a long moment, then turned back to Professor Loire. "You're right," she said slowly. "We don't need a heroic Gryffindor for this, we need someone who can take her down, no matter the consequences." She looked back at the boys and took a measured breath. "Mr. Malfoy," McGonagall said, and waited for him to meet her eye, "I think it's time your Father heard about this."

Realization dawned on Draco’s face, "Yes," he said, his voice growing less shaky, "yes, of course. I should have thought of that." When Draco stood up he wasn't trembling, "May I use your floo?"

"Of course. Be less than an hour, just in case she sends someone tonight."

7